Owen County Public Library / hotel reservations

I called Expedia on Friday, September 15 to reserve 2 rooms in a block of rooms reserved for the Indiana Library Federation conference for November 13 & 14. I used Expedia because they were featured in the information put out by the ILF.
The Expedia salesman told me there were no more rooms in the reserved block at the discounted price, but that there were other rooms in the hotel (Indianapolis Marriott East) that we could reserve at a much higher price. Thinking it was my only option, I did so. I was offered insurance in case we needed to cancel, and I accepted that option at $67. Our itinerary number was [protected]

After talking to a member of the Indiana State Library, who was very surprised to hear that the block rooms had all been taken so quickly, I called the hotel itself, and found that there were indeed still many of the ILF block rooms left.

I called Expedia to cancel the reservation. I was given the Case # [protected] and was told that the refund would show up on our credit card bill. They also said I would be contacted within a couple of hours to confirm the cancellation. I never received a call. I called back three times. Each time I was told I would receive a phone call in the next two hours. I never did.

Finally, I called the hotel and found that they had no record of the original reservation. So, satisfied that the reservation had indeed been cancelled, I kept the Case number I had been given as proof that I did indeed cancel.
However, the charge did show up on our bill. It was dated Sunday, September 17th, which was valid, as I had not yet cancelled by that date.
We disputed the claim with Visa, because we didn't want to pay for a reservation we didn't have, and felt sure Expedia would just cancel the bill in the next billing cycle with Visa.
On Tuesday, October 3rd, No credit had been received regarding the cancellation. Our bookkeeper Ale Young logged a request for contact on Expedia's website.
By Friday, October 6, there was still no credit and no contact from Expedia. Our bookkeeper began the dispute process with Visa.
The Week of October 9th, we received a written communication (acknowledgement of inquiry) from the Chargeback Services Department at TCM Bank (Visa) dated Wednesday, October 11. Still no word from Expedia.
On October 11, we received further communication by mail from the Chargeback Services Department at TCM bank (VISA) dated Wednesday, October 11, requesting additional information. Still no word from Expedia.
Wednesday, October 25, our bookkeeper faxed additional information to Chargeback Services Department with a copy of the Expedia reservation and the cancellation information.
On Tuesday, October 31, Visa posted a $1, 558.46 credit to our account. But this was from Visa alone, there was still no word from Expedia.
On October 30, we received by mail a written "notice of provisional credit" from the Chargeback Services Department at TCM Bank (Visa), dated Wednesday, November 1, 2017.
On Wednesday, November 15, we (that is, employee, A. Morgan, who was in charge of taking employees to the conference, and therefore, we had asked that communications be directed to her) received an email from Expedia Credit Card dispute Resolution Department dated Friday, November 10, 2017. They were disputing our dispute!
On Thursday, November 16th, our bookkeeper contacted the Expedia Credit Card Dispute Resolution Department by phone. She spoke with an agent named Danny.
Danny explained that the reservation was non-refundable.
Our bookkeeper argued that we had purchased the hotel booking protection.
Agent explained that by accepting the terms and conditions we are basically acknowledging that the reservation is nonrefundable.
The Agent would neither confirm nor deny that we had a valid case number. He also claimed that the insurance we purchased was a "waiver" of our right to cancel! Why in the world would anyone purchase a waiver to NOT be able to cancel if needed?
And finally, he stated that Expedia has submitted a response to our claim, and that any further questions should be addressed to our credit card company.
He refused to continue discussing details of the claim.

Simply put:
• They were either mistaken or dishonest when I was told there were no more block rooms at the discounted price.
• I purchased insurance to be able to cancel the reservation, the proof of which is on the bill itself in the amount of $67 for "Hotel Booking Protection".
• I cancelled one business day later, and nearly 2 months before the date the room was reserved.
• I received a case number at the time I called to cancel. I was told there would be a phone call to confirm the cancellation, but that phone call never happened, and if I needed further instructions that would have been in that phone call, I never received them.
• Within a few hours of the time I called to cancel, on the same day that I cancelled, the hotel had no record of the reservation, so I know that Expedia actually did cancel the reservation
• Expedia failed to cancel the bill.

• Updated by Owen County Public Library, Nov 21, 2017

We disputed the claim with Visa, because we didn’t want to pay for a reservation we didn’t have, and felt sure Expedia would just cancel the bill in the next billing cycle with Visa.
    On Tuesday, October 3rd, No credit had been received regarding the cancellation. Our bookkeeper Ale Young logged a request for contact on Expedia’s website.
    On October 30, we received by mail a written “notice of provisional credit” from the Chargeback Services Department at TCM Bank (Visa), dated Wednesday, November 1, 2017.
    Danny explained that the reservation was non-refundable.
    Our bookkeeper argued that we had purchased the hotel booking protection.
    He refused to continue discussing details of the claim.

Simply put:
    • I purchased insurance to be able to cancel the reservation, the proof of which is on the bill itself in the amount of $67 for “Hotel Booking Protection”.
    • Expedia failed to cancel the bill.

I have contacted the ILF, the Indiana State Library, the Better Business Bureau, and our attorney.

Ow