Complaints & Reviews

Surprise Cancellation Fees

I was billed a $75 pickup charge along with $26.01 fuel charge, a $3.64 regulatory recovery charge and a $6.50 administrative charge for a total of $111.15 to cancel service. this was noted on the final bill with the statement "this invoice constitutes an offer by wm to provide service to you for a specified period. by paying this, you agree to continue service during the specified service period and to the terms of service. if you cancel services you will be assessed a cart removal charge of up to $75 plus applicable taxes and charges..."

I called customer service and they informed me I agreed to the terms by paying the bill. I told them I did not agree to those terms and would like to pay for my last month of service but I do not agree to those terms. I asked when this new $75 charge was disclosed and she stated it was on my bill which I agreed to. I did no such thing.in the past, there was a statement on each bill that only stated "this invoice constitutes an offer by wm to provide service to you for a specified period. by paying this, you agree
To continue service during the specified service period, with no refund (whole or partial) for early cancellation, unless such refund is required by law, regulation or contract." there was never any clause for a cancellation charge until I tried to cancel. I never agreed to a service contract that includes a $111.15 cancellation charge. I cannot even pay a portion of my bill without "agreeing" to the new terms of service forced upon me by wm. now, I am being assessed additional "administrative charges" and the bill has climbed to $134.15. this is outrageous. I have tried to work with you but the only way it seems I can pay anything is to agree to your new demands for surcharges.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Feb 25, 2020

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We would like the opportunity to investigate this further. Please email your service address along with a copy of your post to [email protected] subject line COMPLAINT and we will start working on your request immediately.^oj

overcharging for the services

Hello,
If i can I would leave WM ASAP, unfortunately agreement is for 3 years.
If I do not watch my bills the fee for services will be increase double every year.
Right now I was charged $272.00 for overcharge service yard incident #[protected] which increased my usual payment from $100 to $272 for extra garbage inside of container. I do not agree with this charge. Me and my team were cleaning the area around the container trying to keep environment clean.
I discussed this charges twice with Austin and Natasha (managers form WM). They explained me this amount of $$ is making by WM and they charge whatever they need it because of the dangerous condition of the driver, but driver did not get any benefits from this (like bonuses etc...) I can say the only WM is making money of this charges (not environmental or employees). I think $175.00 for overage services can not be double from regular price. Please contact me [protected]. Thank you,
Anna

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Feb 20, 2020

Thank you for taking my call Anna. We are working diligently to address your concern. ^oj

Service that was put on hold

Waste management charged me for service even after I told them to put my collection service on hold for 2 months. I called and spoke to 6 differnet customer service rep's 6 different times and I was told it was straignhted out but I was still charged for 2 months even tho I put my service on hold fo 2 months. Also when I received my bill I was charged for using thier waste management's garbage comntainer when I did not use thier service for 2 months. What a scam of a company!!!

Sincerely,
D.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Feb 20, 2020

This sis certainly not what we want to hear. We would like to take a closer look at your concern. Please email your service address along with a copy of your post to [email protected] subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD, and we will get to work right away.^oj

[Resolved] trash service/fees

We signed up for trash service twice a week with WM. They often miss pick ups, and almost every time they...

[Resolved] pickup

I understand delays in pickup when the weather is questionable. I am not advocating that WM place their drivers in harms way. Today (and not the first time) my waste will not be picked up. No notice. No communication. The UPS and FedX drivers are out and about. The mail has been delivered. The snow (4") has been mostly cleared and melted off the roads. No break on the bill of course. WM says they will pick up the next scheduled day. For me that's two weeks. Where do I keep the garbage for another two weeks? WM says that's my problem. Bottom line if WM doesn't supply the service then the customer (you and I) should not be charge for service that was never delivered. How about politicians do something besides take our money and force companies to do the right thing?

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Jan 23, 2020

Thanks for reaching out. Our trucks are bigger and heavier than most vehicles on the road. Access to your streets may be clear, but we also need to ensure roads leading to our transfer stations are clear as well. We certainly would like to investigate your concern further. Please email your address along with a copy of this post to [email protected] subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD and we will start looking into your request right away.^oj

[Resolved] trucks not covered

Yesterday one of your trucks was getting onto I 10 at the same time as I was from Prince. I shocked to watch the amount of garbage that was blowing out of the truck. I almost hit one plastic bag filled with garbage. We both continued down I 10 and I continued to watch pieces of garbage blowing out of that truck. Truck was #1339.

Don't you cover your loads or get them inside so this doesn't happen. Almost makes me think of switching to a different company.

Kaye Light

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Jan 16, 2020

This is certainly not what we want to hear Kaye. We take this matter very seriously. We would need just a little more information about the location where this occurred, such as the city and state and nearest exit. Please email the additional details along with a copy of your post to [email protected] subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD and we will start working on this right away.^oj

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] waste and recycling collection service

I just witnessed one Waste Management Trash truck stop at my house and pick up my trash as well as my recycling...AGAIN! I have Waste Management for my trash and recycling in Valparaiso, Indiana. I have seen this company pick up trash and recycling in the same truck in the past. I have contacted them and have been told many different things. I have been told by a customer service representative one truck picks up both. I called again and was told by two different managers of Waste Management that is not true and they do not have trucks capable of doing that and the issue would be looked into. We were contacted later and told this is done because the company was having issues with customers placing trash in the recycling bin so they were having to pick up trash with recycling. We were told we don't pay for recycling, which is true but it gives me the feeling that because I don't pay for it then it shouldn't matter if it gets thrown out with the trash. Unfortunately, they are one of the most affordable trash pick up services around my area so we opted to keep them for trash pick up and then I would take my recycling to a drop off 20 minutes from my house. I did this for a year and a half when suddenly we saw a recycling truck in our neighborhood again. I took the chance of putting out recycling this morning and what happens? One truck comes by and takes both. I feel like I waste my time sorting, rinsing, and storing recycling properly just to have it end up in the trash. I deeply care about the environment and it pains me that this company cares so little about the environment and its customers. I cannot imagine how much perfectly good recycling is going into landfills. I think this practice is disgusting and shameful. I will go back to taking my own recycling and hope that whoever picks up the recycling at the drop off location isn't Waste Management or another company who doesn't care about the environment.

Waste Management is a HUGE company and if they are doing this across the board it is incredibly unethical. I am being deceived into thinking I am recycling and helping the environment.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Jan 09, 2020

We never want to hear this and would like to investigate right away. May you please send an email to [email protected] Subject: Complaints Board, a copy of this post and your account information. ^bv

[Resolved] garbage pickup

Business Information Waste Management Houston, TX [protected] Fannin St Ste 4000 Complaint Summary Complaint...

[Resolved] trash removal

New homeowner in Oro Valley, AZ, never done business with WM before. Trash not picked in second week of...

[Resolved] waste and recycling

The company seemingly only cares about how to get more money of you and your organization. Contracts - auto...

weekly trash pickup - no service - no refund

Waste Management raised prices with no notice except in fine print on the bill when received. I checked with Republic and found the same service for 50% less. WM bills 3 months in advance and I had paid and cleared payment prior to the next service term $209.00. On calling to cancel they said no refund would be allowed as their "bill / contract" indicates that by submitting the payment they agree to perform the service - whether they perform the service or not - and that constitutes fulfillment of the agreement. No service performed - no refund - that's theft.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Oct 29, 2019

Thanks for reaching out Rex. I am sorry to hear about your experience. We would like to take a closer look at your concern. Please email your address along with a copy of your post to [email protected], subject line COMPLAINTS BOARDS and we will look into this right away. ^oj

• Updated by Rex Slagel · Oct 29, 2019

Not sure how to go about that as the email address is not listed - [protected]@wm.com - and you have the post as you replied to it. No need to look closer, you have all the details right here. I'll be sending this off to the Illinois Attorney General as this is clearly an unfair business practice. You put consumers in a catch 22 with the "notice " on your invoice. You say - pay us in advance or we won't collect your trash - when you pay us in advance we keep your money no matter what. You also raise rates without notice and that is also included in the pre-payment. In addition there is an "admin fee" of $6.50 on every bill - really? You bill your customers for administrative wages? Fuel costs have gone down and yet, you still bill for "fuel / environmental" . I'm sure with a little accounting investigation we'll find these fees are redundant and likely OK'd by the political machine.

My account # at WM is 3-27032-9300

[Resolved] trashman

The trashman refused to pick up our trash both on Wednesday 10/16/19 and Saturday 10/19/19. We are moving...

[Resolved] missed pickups

Our yard waste/compost pick up is skipped on a regular basis. We have lived at our address for 13 years, and we never had a problem until about a year ago. Since then the problem seems to be getting worse and worse. I do not know if this is driver incompetence, or if the driver is singling us out for poor service. Oddly, the driver wrote in permanent marker on my container, after I had complained several times, that I needed to keep my containers 3 feet apart. My issue with this is it seems like an excuse as I have placed my containers side by side for 12 years without a single issue, AND because all of my neighbors place their containers side by side on the street.
But, today I placed my containers 3 feet apart as requested and they still skipped my house. I am formally requesting that my route be handled by someone else, and that this driver be reprimanded.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Oct 21, 2019

Thank you for reaching out to share your experience. Please email your address along with a copy of your post to [email protected] subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD, and we will investigate your concern further. ^oj

[Resolved] curbside pickup

I went past my payment due date one time due to surgery. I picked up and starting paying on the regular cycle, but was charged a reinstatement fee.

On pickup day, I saw that they had not picked up my trash. To my knowledge, I was all paid up. After calling, the service rep told me that I needed to call to have the hold lifted when that happens. It has to be done manually, and there was no way of me knowing that.

Now I am going to have trash in my yard for another ten days.
This is an issue for so many reasons:
1) My time is more valuable than having to call a company to remind them to release a hold that I am unaware of.
2) I paid a reinstatement fee...for WHAT exactly? I was NOT reinstated
3) This is POOR customer service, and deplorable business ethics.
4) I pay way too much for this service to have to put in this much effort for an issue they neglected to handle on their end.

I am shopping for a new service as we speak.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Oct 18, 2019

We are sad to hear you're thinking about leaving our company. Your loyalty to is very much appreciated. I would like the opportunity to turn these feelings around and take a second look at your account. Please email your address along with a copy of your post to [email protected] subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD and we will contact you right away^oj

[Resolved] garbage pickup

My garbage can has been sitting in front of my curb since Monday my bill was paid in full I've asked for a manager to call me and I'm not receiving a response.After repeated calls I was told I would receive a four dollar credit for one week of service but in the meantime my garbage can still sit on the curb phone running over and still have not received a response from management at Clm here in Georgia

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Oct 18, 2019

We can do better. I would appreciate the opportunity to look further into your concern. Please email your address along with a copy of your post to [email protected] subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD, and we will contact you right away. ^oj

[Resolved] 3 times my trash cans were not returned to the correct house

After they pick my trash up they do not leave the trash cans where they found them. I find them down the street with someone else's trash cans. This has to be the 3rd time this has happened. When I moved to my apartment I had 4 trash cans now I'm down to 3 only. Your workers need to start doing their jobs correctly instead of just throwing other people property wherever they feel like it.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Oct 14, 2019

This is certainly not the way we want you to feel. It will be our pleasure to take a closer look at your concern. Please email your address, along with a copy of your post to [email protected], subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD, and we will contact you right away. ^oj

mattress disposal

I scheduled and paid for a single mattress pickup two weeks ago in providence RI. They took the money out of my account and never picked it up. I called and they said they set it for the wrong address. They claimed that they had straightened it out, and that it would be picked up in the next pickup date. I put the mattress out again today and they took the trash, but did not pick the mattress up again. I don't know what else I am supposed to do, they already have my money.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Oct 08, 2019

Hi! I am sorry to hear about your concern. It will be my pleasure to look into this matter further. Please email your address to [email protected] subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD along with a copy of your post, and we will contact you right away. ^oj

• Updated by Seiji Abe · Oct 08, 2019

I cannot see the email you told me to respond to. It says [protected]@wm.com.

[Resolved] yard waste container

Due to the season (fall) I ordered 3 yard waste containers. Today (Oct 7th, 2019), the Waste Management yard...

[Resolved] residential waste pick up, recycling services

Waste management is not committed to customers? Wm increased my bill from $84 to $135. 58% increase! I...

almost killed by your driver then video taped and harassed

On Friday, Sept. 27 th . 2:00 p.m.I was heading to me bank, chase bank in Bloomingdale. I big WM truck who...

[Resolved] aggressive driver

To whom it may concern My name is James Wilson and I am requesting a driver review on the truck numbered...

[Resolved] admin fee

Waste management started charging admin fee. You don't have to pay for this fee if you enroll in paperless invoice and autopay. So I enrolled in both. However, I continue to get charged for the fee. I contacted waste management, they say that on the system, it is not showing that I have enrolled in paperless. I have unenrolled and enrolled back. Another invoice came, I got charged the admin fee again. The system is still showing that I am not enrolled in paperless. Why should customer pay for their system error? This is unacceptable and poor reputation of the company.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Sep 25, 2019

Hello, I am sorry to hear of the concern you are having with your bill. It will be my pleasure to further review this issue with you. Please email your address to [email protected] with the subject line COMPLAINTS BOARD along with a copy of your post and we will contact you right away. Thank you ^oj

[Resolved] service cancellation fees

I called to cancel Waste Management services in July when a new company offered a very slight cost saving...

[Resolved] careless operator

The operator of IL Plate 40 597, on Skokie Blvd in Northbrook IL before 6am displayed absolutely carele...

[Resolved] garbage not being picked up

Trash is not picked up. Its 4:11 pm EST. Just got off of phone with company -- was on phone for 19 minute...

[Resolved] non pickup of garbage, recycling and yard waste and lying about that they did

I have been fighting this battle for years, at least once a month they will skip picking up one of the three...

[Resolved] trash removal

Waste Management changed policies without telling anyone in my area(I discussed with my neighbors who didn't receive service as well) and left a bunch of bags on the street. The entire neighborhood was affected. We will ALL be canceling our service with Waste Management. Horrible company. Doesn't inform their customers of changes in policy til there is trash all over the neighborhood.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Sep 13, 2019

Hello, Thanks for reaching out. We are very sorry to hear this and would like to address it. Please email [email protected] subject COMPLAINTS BOARD with your address and a copy of this post. We will look into this immediately. Thank you ^tw

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] trash pickup and cancellation

I called to cancel my services since I was moving 08.17.19 on 08.10.19. I was informed that my last pickup would be the 08.16.19. My trash is still here. I called this past Tuesday and informed them and they basically said they can't do anything for me and that they'd come pick up the bin this Friday that just passed and it's still here. The manager I talked to after the customer service agent was rude and said they won't do anything for me. Yet the mistake was not on my end. At this point I will not remove the trash myself since it has been sitting out here for 2 weeks collecting bugs. I will never use this service again for the simple fact that a mistake was made and no one could rectify the situation causing me to be charged for trash that should have been collected.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Sep 13, 2019

My apologies for this, certainly not how we want a valued customer to be treated. Please email your address to [email protected] subject COMPLAINTS BOARD with a copy of your post so we can identify areas of opportunity to help avoid this moving forward. Thank you ^tw

[Resolved] billing

I Canceled service in May of this year. Took over 2 months for them to pickup 2 trash cans from in front of...

service, cancellation of service

I put out a total of 4 empty boxes, other than plastic and styrofoam. The boxes were not small, but my 6 year...

[Resolved] trash pickup

I cancelled service months ago and was told to put the can out for pick up. The can has been at the end of my drive for 3 months and I continue to get charged admin fees and late fees. I was originally told there would be a $56 fee to pick up the can...RIDICULOUS. and here it still sits at my driveway and every month they add charges. When you start service you are not informed of the cancellation fee and ADMIN fees!

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Aug 28, 2019

Hello, Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear this and would like to help. Please email your address to [email protected] subject COMPLAINTS BOARD along with a copy of your post and we will look into this right away. Thank you ^tw

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] recycling not picked up

My recycling was scheduled to be picked up by Waste Management on 8/2 so I put it out at 6pm on 8/1. To date...

[Resolved] Rude/Hazardous Driving

This morning, 8/19/19, at about 6:30, I was stopped at a red light at Washington St in Oakland, CA, preparing to turn right onto 6th St. WM collection truck #152966 came up behind me and honked for me to turn, even though the light was still red. I have a low profile vehicle and I could not see that the closest lane was clear of oncoming traffic, so I did not turn. The truck honked again. I still couldn't see that it was safe to turn, and still did not proceed. When the light changed, the truck sped around and ahead of me onto 6th St and the passenger gestured rudely directly at me. I have been certified to operate emergency vehicles and am aware that not even emergency vehicles have the right to push a vehicle into an intersection, even when responding to an emergency situation. I would assume that waste collection trucks also do not have this authority. The conduct was rude and could have been hazardous if I had followed the driver's demands. I appreciate the service provided by WM, but felt that this crew of this truck behaved very unprofessionally in this instance.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Aug 28, 2019

Hello, Thank you for reaching out. I am very sorry to hear this. Safety is very important to us and we will address this immediately. We appreciate that you took the time to bring this to our attention. Thank you ^tw

[Resolved] Waste Management (Trash) Not Picked up

My trash is supposed to be picked up on Wednesday. Last Wednesday (8/14/19), it was not picked up for some reason (although my recyclables were). When it was also not picked up the next day, I called to complain and request pick up. I was told the trash would be picked up by 5 p.m. that day--but it was not. On 8/16/19 I called again, and again was told that it would be picked up by the end of the day. It was not. On Saturday 8/17/19 I called and was told that the earliest it could be picked up would be Monday. I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was transferred to a supervisor named Carol. Carol told me that she spoke with a dispatch manager, and that someone named "Marco" would pick my trash up by the end of the day. He did not. Today is Sunday 8/18/19 and it still has not been picked up. There is no problem with my account. I pay on time every month through auto pay, and customer service checked my account and assured me that there were no payment issues.

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Aug 28, 2019

Hello, Thank you for reaching out. I am very sorry to hear this and would like to help. Please email your address to [email protected] subject COMPLAINTS BOARD with a copy of your post and we will look into this right away. Thank you ^tw

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] garbage pick up service.

On Friday August 16th 2019 in Vernon township Meadville the garbage man for culver drive threw my whole...

[Resolved] waste not secure in truck driving on highway

At approximately 12:45pm in the town of Thorold Ontario on highway 58, a large quantity(between 7-10 pieces) of un-broken cardboard boxes and a bag of trash blew out of the back of a WM truck with license plate Am68870. The driver was driving at highway speeds and didn't seem to acknowledge that his load was not secure. Us cars behind him began swerving out of the way but a cardboard box was inevitably lodged under and dragged by a car in front of me.
This was a dangerous and unacceptable highway situation

• Updated by bmsov · Aug 14, 2019

This happened on August 14th 2019

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Aug 28, 2019

Hello, Thank you for reaching out. Safety is very important to us, we appreciate you for reaching out. We will address this with the drivers. Thank you ^tw

service pick up

I recently had issues receiving my bill. When I called waste mangment, they had the wrong address on file. I...

[Resolved] garbage service and customer service

4 weeks ago I transferred service to my new address. I was told everything was fine and to use the previous owner's incorrect containers for the first week. My garbage wasn't picked up and my containers haven't been replaced for 4 weeks now. I've spent 4 hours over 7 phone calls trying to get a bin and correct service. This monopoly is abusive as they give us incorrect information week after week. My wife tried contacting them because I'm at my wits end and they wouldn't do anything for her either including credit our account in any way. This business is just broke .

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Aug 09, 2019

Hello, Thank you for reaching out. I am sorry to hear this has been your experience and would like to assist. Please email your address to [email protected] subject COMPLAINTS BOARD along with your post and we will look into this immediately. Thank you ^tw

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] garbage can pick up

I just got home as the garbage man was two blocks down the street So I pulled out my trash cans for him to...

[Resolved] huge overcharges, breach of contract

What a horrible company!
I own a small business, a veterinary clinic, and my bill in the last 5 years has gone from $250 a month to OVER $750 A MONTH!
A local company, Town & Country Sanitation, charges $125 a month for the same service.
Extra charges have been added to my bill because they say there is garbage in the recycling. The bin has no cover (hasn't for several years) so anybody can throw garbage in it and anytime it rains all of the contents are garbage anyway - and I get charged for it!
They say I am in a contract and they will offer me a "buy-out". Are you joking! After paying $750 A MONTH!
Tabarus Phillips, an Account Manager, won't return my emails.
I cancelled the service on the renewal date and sent a certified letter and still they won't respond and pick up their dumpsters.

huge overcharges, breach of contract

• Waste Management [WM]'s response · Aug 09, 2019

Hello, I am sorry to hear this and would be happy to help. Please email [email protected] subject COMPLAINTS BOARD with a copy of your post and we will look into it right away. thank you ^tw

Please include your address on the email. Thank you ^tw