National Car Rental company logo
National Car Rental
reviews & complaints
National Car Rental
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

137 complaints
89 resolved 48 unresolved

This account has been claimed by National Car Rental customer service / representatives through our verification process.

National Car Rental Go to website

National Car Rental reviews & complaints

National Car Rental complaints 137

National Car Rental - Executive elite

My company rents thousands of cars per year and most of our frequent flyers have Executive Elite status. I have had 120 rental days this year and have been very loyal to National. My last four...

National Car Rental - unauthorized charges

On September 17, 2021, I purchased a pre-paid car rental through Hotwire.com. The rental was for September 28 through October 5, 2021 in Louisville, Kentucky. Hotwire partnered me with National, reservation number [protected] for $355.78 paid in full, no changes or refunds allowed.

I arrived at the National rental kiosk at approximately 12:00PM, exactly when I was supposed to be there. I handed the National employee my rental car confirmation through Hotwire. He looked it up. He found the reservation, because he began referring to me by name, "Mr. Lyons". He says "You're renting a truck from today, the 28th until October 5th". I said "Correct." He asked me if I would like to sign up for the Emerald Aisle Club. He said by doing so, I could get an upgrade for $30/day. I told him that Hotwire did not allow changes. He corrected me by saying, "If you become an Emerald Aisle member, it is no problem". I said, "sure, for $30/day, why not?". The process took longer than what is normal. Finally, the gentleman called his manager over. I could not tell what they were saying as a glass partition separated us.
Finally, the female manager handed me the keys. I asked if I needed paperwork or a receipt. She said they were having system problems and would have to give me the receipt when I returned the car. I reluctantly agreed. I left the garage, with no paperwork. When I got to the exit gate, the manager waved at the security guy and he let me through. Everything seemed fine. I returned the car at 12:00 noon on October 5, 2021. I was running behind, so got the receipt from the man checking in cars and left.

Two days later, there was a charge for $808.93 on my debit card. I have contacted National several times. Together, we have pieced together what really happened, yet no resolution has been reached. When I got to the kiosk, and the guy encouraged me to become an Emerald Aisle member...he falsely put that I was a "no show" for my reservation. (National has already verified this). He then went on to open a totally new reservation and charged me as if I were a walk up client for the full cost of the vehicle. No one ever mentioned any of this to me. They did it without my knowledge. Who pays $355 for a rental...then goes up to the window and says "forget it. i don't mind wasting $355...just charge me full price for a different vehicle". That is what National customer service expects us to believe. It doesn't even make sense. Also, the reservation was entered as a "no show". If the clerk had handled things honestly, wouldn't he have just typed that I changed my mind and decided to open a new reservation? Why lie and say i was a no show. National argues that I signed a new contract with them at 12:18pm at the Louisville kiosk. Well, if I was a 'no show' for my reservation...how did i sign anything at the same time at the same location? Doesn't make any sense.

I have filed complaints with the Better Business Bureau ([protected]) as well as the Bureau of Consumer Protection, a division of the Federal Trade Commission in Washington DC. I have done preliminary interviews with Brendan O'Keefe and Bill Liss for a story that will run on 11 Alive news in Atlanta regarding your industry and fraud. "Better Call Harry" on CBS 46 Consumer Investigative Reporting has also requested an interview.

No one I have discussed this with at National has cared anything about your company's reputation. They don't seem to care that a story about consumer fraud, regarding their company is going to be broadcast to 6 million people, potentially. At some level, someone will care about a PR nightmare. That nightmare is forthcoming if this situation isn't immediately resolved.

The only reason I am writing this and calling National one more time is so that there are written communication as well as recorded dialogue verifying my claims against National.

Desired outcome: Refund of 808.93 that was fraudulently charged to my debit card.

National Car Rental - Booked a car rental and was charged for excessive mileage

National Car Rental - Refueling Charge on my recent rental

RA #: [protected] Emerald Club # [protected] When I picked up my car in Denver, CO on 10/13 your systems were down & they had to write down the serial # of my car. The manager told me to bring the car back with 1/2 half a tank of gas. I brought the car back with 3/4 of a tank of gas and I mentioned this to the representative who checked the car in on 10/21. She wrote a note on the receipt to her manager. She advised that the refueling charge of $30.54 would be removed and I would receive a revised receipt to the email on file ([protected]@aol.com), reflecting the reduction in the $377.33 charge that I paid for my Denver, CO rental. It's been 6 days since I returned home and I have not received any communication from National notifying me that the refueling charge has been removed and I am interested in the status of the removal of the refueling charge .

Desired outcome: Remove the $30.34 & honor the agreement between your manager and your representative.

National Car Rental - Booked a car rental and was charged for excessive mileage

Booked rental 5/24/2021, Chicago to California. Price quoted time and distance 744.35. Took the trip with my husband and my 80 year old mother. Turned the car in July 24 charged 641.72. Next day after arriving to NJ we saw another charge for 1410.84, this charge overdrew our account so we immediately called 7/25 & 7/26. He received a return call from Gretchen and a credit of 236.62 for a toll device that we did not take. He explained we booked the trip based on the time 2 weeks and 2 days and distance from Chicago to LA., which would either be 2031 miles or 2400 miles if it's a 150 miles a day. and .25 charge for each additional mile. We were charged 3802 miles. My husband called again on Wednesday 7/28, spoke with Gretchen again who said she was meeting with a supervisor on the 7/30 at 1pm and she would get back to him to let him know what could be done. No call!
I in turn called our bank to file a dispute for the 1410.84, they received no response from National so unfortunately they asked us to deal with the merchant. So, on 8/27 I called and spoke to Kia, then she transferred me to Velvet from the Escalation department, who I once again explained this entire situation, only to be told the contract states this and she would escalate it. See also stated that the contract you pay for every mile. But I asked her why the contract says only additional miles? Couldn't give me an answer, just more run around.
So, guess what today 8/28 my husband received a call from Gretchen, after almost 30 days. So, I called her back this morning only to be told this is a corporate rate and she has already called and told my husband and apparently he doesn't understand.
So, as I explained to her she said we had the rate because of a van, the rate was for a full size vehicle. Rental agreement has a code and she would try another; but that my husband should get with his company to go over the contract. So, I asked her about why the call after almost 30 days, it's only because I called and escalation prompted this call, not because she was following up as indicated in July.
I also asked about the time and distance component on the contract, she said the distance means nothing. It's just time, so the contract states distance; but no distance is involved even though we traveled from Chicago to California a one way trip. So why notate the distance if it has no bearing what so ever. Then I asked about the additional mileage charge, she told me we had Zero mile period. But on the bill it is listed excessive distance charge? But we have no excessive distance charges listed on the contract from May? Gretchen response was that's a lot of miles to put on a car so that would be the charge. But when we booked the one way trip states from point A to point B. What's excessive would be after I reached my destination 2031 miles or 150 miles a day 2400, then charge the .25 cents. Instead, we paid daily for time only according to Gretchen, even though it say time and distance and then additional mileage would be above and beyond the listed destination. How else would you get to location without miles? So either a daily rate, with excessive after the suggested miles from point A to Point b and then pay for over that.
So, in speaking to her she already indicated she gave us a credit for the 236, however, that wasn't any type of credit, it was deserved or owed back to us since we did not take a toll device. She offered a one time 100.00 credit, which to be fair my account is overdrawn by 1410 and 200 in fees, so what will 100 do? So, 100 compared to a 1400 charge that we were not expecting, how if you are trying to help or assist a customer will that help or assist me? She stated she would make the dispute closed and that I refused the 100, I told her fine. She stated it's our error, not National's. I explained we had a budget and now this is causing a hardship, she wasn't interested and she continued to state that I just wasn't getting it, she understood my philosophy, but the corporate rate is the corporate rate, there is nothing more that can be done.
I told her that as far as Customer Service goes she was awful, there was not one ounce of compassion. So, I will continue to reach out to National and Corporate with my dispute. Maybe I won't get a different outcome; but the email confirmation of the contract or guidelines and what happen to us, do not line up. So, maybe someone with a modicum of kindness or courtesy for their customers will actually do something to a help with this financial hardship.

Christine Scarpulla
[protected] confirmation number

Desired outcome: I would like a refund of the excessive mileage, either the 2031 from Chicago to lax or 150 miles a day for the 16 day rental of 2400.

Oct 10, 2021

This issue has not been resolved! Sent an email 9/13 and no response and again today!

Oct 10, 2021

This is issue has not been resolved! I sent an email 9/13 as asked by carol and have received to no answer!

Aug 26, 2021

National Car Rental - Poor customer service

Rental agreement #[protected] my name is John irvine I left some important papers in the rental car and while still at the airport I tried to call the location to have someone fed ex the papers to me the phone I called was [protected] this phone was always answered by a voice mail.
The a called the number on the back of my executive card #[protected] I've been a executive since at least 2009.
I'm director of sales and have a few folks working for me and if this issue is not resolved I will recommend they no longer rent from your company, my loyalty to National has not been returned in kind.

The company has left an official comment on the complaint.

National Car Rental - Horribly dishonest: charged me triple the amount my reservation was confirmed for, then stole my sunglasses.

I have rented from National at Orlando International Airport several times this past year. I have not had an issue until this past week. I booked my reservation with a confirmed total of $290.65. A...

National Car Rental - Theft and lying

06/22/2021 12:30 am
confirmation number
1528147223count

i made a reservation for a standard suv. When i get to national's counter, the associate proceeds to tell me that he is fully out of vehicles. The only vehicle that he has is a luxury suv but requires a credit card to reserve. I specifically stated on my original reservation with priceline that i will be booking with a debit card only. I was left stranded in the middle of the night at the rental car area.

I called priceline on 06/24/2021 to explain the situation above and when the representative contacted national to confirm the information, somebody named "charlie" at national car rental stated that i actually took a vehicle from them. When i told priceline that this was false information, another representative at priceline contacted national car rental again and got a hold of "joe" but joe put the priceline representative on hold for 5 mins then heard a series of beeps which ended the call

i need a refund on my money as this is theft

Desired outcome: FULL REFUND

V
Oct 24, 2020

National Car Rental - Service

I was refused service by an employer named Ivan, stating that I was with someone who provided a paper license which had nothing to do with me. I'm a commercial truck driver and I provided my CDL and credit card and was refused service. You can't assume because there are two African American in the same place that someone is trying to pull a fast one. Very distasteful, racism will not be tolerated in the times we are living in. This also will be forwarded to higher ups. I've dealt with National and Alamo for several years and have never been treated in such a way.

National Car Rental - Rental not closed at ft lauderdale airport

Reserved a luxury car online, reservation #[protected], arrived on 7/04/20 to chose a car and there were only Nissan Rouges or Chevy Malibu's in the lane to chose from. I chose a blue Nissan Rouge...

Jul 10, 2020

National Car Rental - Rental car

We picked up a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe from the MCO airport. We were driving from Orlando, FL to Lawton OK. Once we were driving through north FL it started pouring down rain, so we needed to use the...

C

National Car Rental - A manager at the greensboro airport location

Manager was very rude i'm a emerald club member I chose a car they had in the lane and he wanted to charge me extra for it I went back through my reservation and rented that car now he say to me there's no selling drug or smoking weed or selling or drinking moonshine in our cars I ask him not to say those things to me I singed my paper work he then snatch them for me with my id and card and told me he can say whatever he want to me and then call the police on me and told them I threatened him police came after I had already paid for my rental heard his story and band me from national car rental

B
Feb 27, 2020
The company has left an official comment on the complaint.

National Car Rental - gso customer service unethical behavior at greensboro airport

-Date of incident: Feb 18, 2020 -Client number: [protected] -Confirmation number: [protected] Last week upon arrival to Greensboro, N.C. a National customer and myself were subject to discrimination...

N
The company has left an official comment on the complaint.

National Car Rental - unable to reach national rental location.

Tried to book a reservation through Air Miles online and were unable to book the type of vehicle we wanted. Wanted to reach the National rental site in San Jose del Cabo airport, to see if we could book online with Air Miles, but then make a change directly with them. Tried to call National at San Jose del Cabo Airport, but the phone call wouldn't go through. Called National Customer Service to confirm the phone number, which was correct and dialed correctly. CS would not provide an email for the location (were not allowed to - which makes no sense), so offered to send a note to that location to call me. I never received a call. I then asked for help from the phone operator to assist with the call, but was unsuccessful.

We've been loyal National customers for years, and have found this very frustrating. Reaching a location should NEVER be difficult. There should be a generic email that you could give out to customers.

We have since rented from Alamo.

M
Feb 10, 2020

National Car Rental - roadside assistance

Very unhappy Executive Elite member Tim Trout On 2/7/20 My rental car broke down in Thief River falls MN. Due to the remote location of this client, National could not come up with any expedient...

N
Jan 06, 2020

National Car Rental - maintenance problems

As an Executive Elite member... I thought loyalty was something rewarded to customers... etc.. I have a problem with the TPMS and rim.. etc reported it... sat with my wife and kids for over 3.5...

National Car Rental - missing paperwork in car

I was renting a car at National car rental on 12/17 at Lihue, HI. In Hawaii. all vehicles are required to have safety check, registration and proof of insurance in the vehicle all the time. I wa...

D
Nov 07, 2019
The company has left an official comment on the complaint.

National Car Rental - wrong credit card charged and now can't fix it and on the hook for vehicle damage

This is a case where the wrong credit card was charged for my rental car which prevents me from covering vehicle damage using my credit card. I will not be able to make the damage claim through my...

C
Nov 04, 2019

National Car Rental - unhelp, unsafe, gps not working, additional charges

My name is Christine Carew and I recently had the unfortunate experience of renting a car from National Car Rental agency via www.economycarrentals.com (RA#[protected]... RES #[protected]) . Now, I've...

A
Oct 27, 2019

National Car Rental - complaint

Please make them turn down the volume of the commercial, extremely irritating, all I do is mute as quick as I can to prevent neighbors from complaining as I'm in a condo! Definitely irritates me enough I'll never rent from National!

1 2 3  ...  7