Banfield Wellness Planscan't cancel

H

I purchased an 8 wk old puppy from a local breeder and unfortunately, a month later my puppy died in a freak accident with a neighbor's kid. When I first got the puppy, I put her on Banfield's wellness plan for puppies. I understood that it was essentially a payment plan, NOT insurance. However, with only 1 set of shots given and a little dewormer, how could Banfield possibly expect me to continue paying them $21.95 a month for a puppy that only used their services twice and is NO LONGER ALIVE?!? Banfield insists that the contract states "no cancellations", however, this is just ridiculous! To pay 12 months for a puppy that only lived 1 month?!? That is absolutely ludicrous and definitely a SCAM!

• Tr
    TroutBum2 Oct 22, 2018

I've been a Banfield OWP member for 3 years with two pets. This year I moved out of state, to Alaska. Nobody told me there are no Banfields here! When I first signed up I remember clearly the lady telling me I "can go to any Banfield, they are all over the country". So with eight months to go on one plan, they will not let me out of the contract. $32.95 is a waste of money now and I don't know how to fight them on this or I surely would!!
    At least the other plan was used fully just before moving away.

• Du
    dungeon Sep 28, 2016

I have one of my two dogs on the Banfield Wellness Plan. I called to cancel my subscription/membership because I determined it was not worth it per year. I was told that since my dog had services that year (6 months ago), I would have to continue paying until the contract is up - October. Not only that, but I never approved an automatic renewal and they did it anyway for 2 years. When I protested, they did nothing to appease me, and would not cancel the contract until the expiration date of October. I figured out that I paid less if I paid per visit, plus they offered walk-in service and the ability to step in just to get simple things like the nails clipped. Not only was I turned away for service and told I had to make an appointment for the next day, but I also had to pay for the nail trimming, which actually would have been cheaper at a grooming service. So beware if you are considering Banfield Wellness plan - you cannot get out of the contract, they will automatically renew it per year without your permission, it's cheaper to pay per visit in some cases, and they will not honor some of their promises. Banfield - you lost another customer.

Joseph Jul 27, 2016

Banfield wellness plan is an annual planned designed to help minimize pet care cost. They renewed my plan without my permission, after my dog was euthanized. They sign you up at their hospitals but they don't give you a contract or any information regarding their policies. I was charged twice in one month for a dog that is gone.

• Sh
    Shari63043 Jul 26, 2016

DO NOT TAKE YOUR PET THERE!! BRIDGETON MISSOURI IS WORST I was stupid enough to sign up for their yearly plan. Vet's are incompentant and seldom stick around a few months. I went to vet 2 months ago about rash my dog had - gave me very expensive shampoo and told me to use it. Went back today and rash had exploded - she now has open sores and lots of more medicine. There prices are 2-3 x's higher than normal vet and they did not carry same medicine my hometown vet easily had. Will not have to spend more money taking her to REAL vet.

• Banfield Pet Hospital Jul 26, 2016

First, I want to say that I am sorry that you were not happy with your experience. Our goal is always to provide excellent client service, and your feedback is truly valued. I do want to make sure we acknowledge your concerns, to discuss this further please give our Client Advocate Team a call at [protected]. We hope your pit-bull is doing well.

CowboyAppaloosa Jul 26, 2016

I went here to get my 1 year old female pit-bull seen because she was very jaundice, had a loss in appetite, and was sleeping all the time. Upon arrival my dog was covered in bile since she had thrown up in the car and she had peed pure blood in the waiting room. They had us in one of there rooms and sampled the blood and found that she was anemic, had low red blood cell, white blood, cell and platelet counts and they had her hospitalized for about 4 hours and called us saying that she needed 6 radiology scans on top of a numerous amount of labs which cost us around 5$571.76 when she didn't even need x-rays! The staff overall seemed like they didn't care about the health of my dog, and i won't be going back!!

• Da
    Danielle Jul 21, 2016

So you expected them to keep your cat when the entire office was closed? That would be incredibly stupid! If no one will be in the office then why would you expect them to keep your cat for 48 hours unsupervised?

They did all they could do in the the time they were open and rightly told you to go to the ER if your cat was not getting better.

And charging $33.95 is not overcharging for an office visit. A vet I used to work for charged $47! $34 is the low normal right now. They also don't overcharge for flea meds. Even the employees are not allowed a discount on flea meds because that's what the flea meds corporations charge.

PetMeds may charge less but they often give out expired medications. I know many vets who refuse to do business with PetMeds because they consider that company unethical.

• Fi
    fishylee Jul 21, 2016

I bought the wellness plan for my 3 month old kitten, sophie and soon regretted my decision. It is a scam, and once you sign up, you cannot cancel unless you pay for the overpriced services that were already received, which come out to more than paying for the rest of the plan.

Among the many problems were: given the incorrect meds to treat ear mites, the vet in surgery for my scheduled appointment resulting in a 1.5 hour wait. And the worst offense, we were not told she needed to fast before her spay surgery. If we had not called to ask about fasting, I cannot imagine what would have happened to her. They give shoddy care and are mainly concerned about selling services and of course their wellness plan.

• Le
    leslie westbrook Jul 21, 2016

I took my cat there, he was blocked, it costs me 700.00 for 1 over night stay, they sent him home on Saturday because they were closing and would be closed until Monday. They said to take him to the emergency room if he got worse. I ended up having to bring him to the ER because he wasn't any better. The ER said that Banfield should have kept him 48hrs at least. Wellness plans are a joke because they make up for the low cost by overcharging for medical visits. They also overcharge for flea meds, etc. Don't let your pet get sick on the weekend either, they'll treat him fast, take your money and release him too early then you'll end up going to an emergency vet and pay even more. Sad, so sad when all we are doing is looking for good care for our pets.

• Lo
    loosecanon Jul 21, 2016

what Banfield does is convince u to sign up for one of their Wellness Plans and try to use all of the services the first day you sign up. Example if you sign your dog up for their primary plan they do everything included in that plan the first day... Bloodwork, ear swab, Heartworm test, fecal ana., Tono, dewormer, all overdue vax etc. And when you find out the truth about the wellness ripoff its to late cause u have used up everything included in the plan, if you want to cancel plan you have to pay for all the services already used and all the services already used were used up on the first day.

• Vj
    Vjones40 Jul 21, 2016

We took our puppy in for an exam. Our puppy needed to be treated for loose stools as a result of intestinal parasites. They put the puppy on 2 antibiotics. 4 days later, our puppy started having seizures. We took her back, to get another bill $175, and ran more "diagnostics" which they couldn't determine why she was having seizures. They ran bloodwork and stated she had low red blood count (probably because of the prescription diet she was on and low protein), then her white blood count was low, due to the parasites and to monitor the seizures and call back if they continued.

They continued the next day she had 6 seizures (which she never had until she started taking the medicine they prescribed). I called them, of course..."bring her in to be seen, but there is a cost involved, we need to run more diagnostics. I told them we didn't have any more money, we've already spent $400 in 4 days. Then it was the scare tactic, well it could be distemper (which they supposedly ruled out yesterday), then she may have low blood sugar from not eating (I told them she was eating and drinking water and her gums are pink). Then it was "if she is having seizures that is very serious and you need to bring her in to be seen". I told them that I felt it was the medicine because she didn't have seizures until she started the medicine.

I then searched online to research the medicine. Low and behold... Allergic reaction...seizures to the Albon. Why didn't they just say that in the beginning? Because they wanted more money. I'm furious and let them have a piece of my mind and will NEVER bring my puppy into them again. I called in to give them a piece of my mind and then some. She then informed me that she had to look it up in the medical book. What kind of crap is that?

Since when did they not care about the well being of an animal? It's all about money with them. I will take her somewhere else.

• Ju
    Judy Jul 21, 2016

DO NOT TAKE YOUR PET TO BANFIELD ON 82ND!The nurses and doctors are nice, BUT...

I took my cat there this past week and here is what I experienced:

I was first given a quote for services in the $900 range for cleaning and stitching an abcess, pulling a tooth and flea/worm meds (which already seemed pretty high compared with other vets we have been too).They told me if I joined their wellness plan it would drastically reduce the costs, which then totaled in the $700 range, but included a year of care on the wellness plan. However, after services were performed and I went to pick up my cat the bill was somehow over $1, 000.00???!!! In shock, I paid and left almost forgetting my cat! I called the next day several times and spoke with the office manager, the hospital manager, and called corporate. No one can really tell me what the difference in the charges are. But they are sending me out a copy so I can figure it out:) At one point, they actually offered to have me bring back the medications for a refund! Now, what kind of animal hospital does that? It seems unethical. When I said no, that the animals NEEDED the medicine, they offered me $100 as a compromise. I'm sorry but $100 is not the same as the difference between the amount I was quoted and then charged. They keep telling me oh, they must of forgot this or that and well, actually you got some services for "free" that they forgot to bill you for. This place is a mess. This is not how you do business. I specifically asked that everything to be done and the price of the wellness plan to be included on the invoice before services were rendered. The employee doing so hand-wrote the amount on the top of the invoice. I had faith in her that she was doing it correctly. She claimed I was supposed to stop by the reception to get my total price. I was not told anything different upon check-out. When I called corporate they told me I could cancel the wellness plan within 3 days for a refund, but would have to pay the retail price for services then, which now is over $1500? How does it go from $900 to $1500? Wouldn't you expect a phone call if your bill was going to be more than was expected? How often do you buy something at a store and when you go to pay for it it is 60% more than what it is marked at? Um, NEVER. When your animal is sick you expect someone to do the right thing, not take advantage of you when you are stressed or emotional about the situation. They very easily could have admitted their mistake and refunded me the difference, but refuse to do that now. I was told there was nothing they could really do, but the hospital manager would talk to the doctor and staff about the miscommunication. So, unless you want to pay and extraordinary amount for pet care, DO NOT TAKE YOUR ANIMALS TO BANFIELD ON 82nd!

hahaha Jul 21, 2016

your wrong.the suspension of albon that we give out is much much lower then what you may have looked up on google. if you were smart then you would have brought your pet in to get seen or at least by another vet. but no instead you kept your pet at home and let them continue to have the seizures. and test dont diagnose seizures either.

• Banfield Pet Hospital Jul 21, 2016

Judy,
    Please give our Wellness Plan Relations team a call at [protected]. They'll help you cancel your plan and explain the structure of the plan. For additional issues, we also encourage you to call our Client Advocacy team at [protected].

hambone49 Jul 21, 2016

I brought my dog into Banfield The Pet Hospital (west Grand Ave in Chicago) this past Thursday because he had developed a cough. I was given some medications and took him home. After I got him home I noticed that he was limping and took him back to Banfield that evening after I had returned from work. It was found that he had a dislocated shoulder and the initial x-ray that had been taken earlier in the day clearly showed this. Of course they denied that anything like this would ever happen at their facility. They took him in the following morning and got his shoulder back in place. The poor little guy now has a sling on him that we were told has to stay in place for two weeks. We were also told by the manager that there was no charge for this procedure and that they were doing this as a "courtesy". They pulled my dog's shoulder out of place, fix the problem they created and call it a "courtesy? They say they're not responsible, but if they did this as a "courtesy" they're admitting their fault; they're just not coming out and saying it. The treatment that my wife and I received was terrible. It was nothing but a runaround and every excuse in the book. This is a terrible place to bring a pet. They wouldn't allow us to take his x-rays and we were treated very rudely. I want people to be aware of how they treat pets and their owners here.

• Pa
    Patricia Jul 21, 2016

I took my puppy for immunizations when he was 6 weeks old. The list they gave me was over $800. I said no and went to another clinic where it was $100. I then went back this weekend now that my puppy is a year old. Not sure what I was thinking but it was convenient. My puppy has diarhhea and I wanted some information on what I could do. They gave me a list of tests he needed over $600.00 including radiology(radiology tests for diarhhea). I declined these tests and asked if there is anything I can do at home for him...diet, etc. they said no. I went home and called another clinic and went on line. They told me to feed him a bland diet of rice and chicken and give him 2 ml. of pepto bismol for three days. This is what I was expecting from Banfield...but no not unless I gave up alot of money. They do not care about your pet, only the dollars.

• Jh
    jharmond Jul 21, 2016

There is a growing percentage of pet owners who can not afford to take care of their pets therefore they will do what ever it takes to get a free ride. If there is a known medical condition, people will go in and act as if they are clueless only to make accusations and threats to "get what they want". Whose to say this pet was not accidentaly injured at home? Now you find out the pet is hurt so you blame someone else and start making accusations. Sounds sketchy at best. Doctors take a sworn oath to be fair, honest and provide the best quality care possible. They really don't have anything to gain by what you are accusing this doctor of. Especially with the state of the economy, I highly doubt this doctor would put himself in this position. There just seems to be more to this story than what consumers are bing led (or misled) to believe.

• Sp
    spiralsands Jul 21, 2016

Banfield is just like any regular vet practice. It does well care and treats problems. But if you have an animal that cannot walk or is listless you should immediately bring it to an animal emergency room. Even my private vet will not keep sick animals overnight and I would be required to bring my pet to an emergency care vet to do certain things like getting an ultrasound or mri.

Banfield is a good bargain for what it charges and I've found that it's easier to get maintenance medications like advantage or frontline from them. My private vet always requires an office visit for that stuff. Banfield doesn't.

• Ra
    rachel614 Jul 21, 2016

First off, the shots aren't anymore than $250 for all 7 vaccines. there is no way it went even higher than $300, if you want to count a fecal exam and/or deworming, which just for the two of those, it's $50.

For diarrhea, we recommend a bland diet of chicken and rice. Our medications for diarrhea wouldn't cost you more than $300, and also they wouldn't request to do x-rays unless there was something really wrong and the pet was on the verge of death, and you may have slipt in there somewhere during the office visit that he may have ate something he shouldn't, and therefore would be your fault, not theres.

banfield is a business, like any other. without money, they wouldn't be in business. an office visit is $45, while others charge $75-$125 to walk in the door. the privately owned vet clinics are more about money than banfield is. they are way overpriced. you surely haven't been to any other vet clinics beside banfield. you need to look into it and do your research before you complain.

hambone49 Jul 21, 2016

I WOULD SUE THESE INCOMPATANT'S!!!

• Wa
    Wanda Roberts Jul 21, 2016

Re: Pet Hospital

My puppy’s name is “Samson”. I had visited your Stapleton Office. I was told then, “Samson”. We would be enrolled in the puppy plan. After, speaking with the office manager she stated, since “Samson” was over the 6 months, he would be treated as an adult. However, this was not stated to me in our conversation.

Since, I am unable to transport “Samson” properly. I had requested to have my plan transferred to another hospital which is closer for my access. I am being, instructed by the office manager Melissa at the Glendale Office I would have to start the puppy plan over again. Now, Samson, will be a year old in less than 2 weeks. I had tried to explain, the situation of my driving long distances with my pet. I currently, have MS which enables me to operate machinery. I feel I should be able to transfer the plan to any Banfield Facility without having to restart a new plan.

I have contacted the Better Business Bureau, and the Attorney Generals Consumer Division. I would like to continue my plan for my pet. However, I feel it would not benefit me.

Thank you, for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
    Wanda E. Roberts.

• St
    Steve W. Canon Jul 21, 2016

took my pet cat Smokey, to Banfield after he became weak, could'nt walk or use his legs.
    I thought that the cat had eaten a rat or a poisoned
    small animal; I was told that he ehad an infection and was given prednisone, antibiotics(baytrol?)
    and vitamins. The DVM did a blood test and it came back as being low, or anemia. Also the cat was thrombocytopenic, so now the cat was bleeding
    internally and would probably need an infusion.
    This first visit cost me almost $500.00. A few days later I was to bring back my pet for another blood count, since hos hematocrit, or packed cell volume, was not low enough to warrant an infusion at the emergency animal hospital, which I had no idea existed and was a full service hospital that could have given him what he needed to save his life. Anyway after the second visit to Banfield and another $120.00 spent, I rushed smokey to the emergency clinic . it would have cost me 2,000.00 to save my cat. Do not take your animal to Banfield; I learned my lessonand got nothing but a broken heart from Banfield!!!

Christina Naughton Jul 21, 2016

I go there every month for my dog Max to have his nails cut and anal squeeze. However the past couple of months I had to deal with a manager Lisa Bellini. She is very rude and abrupt. She always asked me if I made an appointment for my dog. However, they originally informed me that an appointment is not required for these type of procedure. Today I waited for them to register me. However three people with appointments came after me and I feel that she did not even want to help me with my dog, Max. Then she even asked me if I had their plan and I informed her I was planning on putting my dog on their plan. It seems like she doesn't even want to cater to me because I do not have any plan. What kind of manager treats their customer so rude and abrupt. She doesn't even smile. It seems like she can't handle her job. The store gets a little busy with four dogs and she gets stressed out. She is the most horrible person ever. She even told me to leave because I got upset. I am so lucky that I have not signed up for their plan so I do not ever have to deal with her.

• Li
    Lizzie Jul 21, 2016

The people at the Fayettville Banfield Animal Clinic are
    more concerned about the money than they are about the
    life of the animal. In an attempt to assist my employee whose
    dog had a life threatening illness and need immediate surgery,
    I had an unpleasant encounter with the staff at this
    Banfield clinic about payment for the dog's surgery. I would
    describe them as rude, inflexible and all about the money as
    the dog lay dying. How sad that their business policy is such
    that the money takes place over everything else. Shame on them
    and save yourselves from their selfishness.

• De
    Deborah Jul 21, 2016

I rescued a little mixed terrier destined for euthanasia. I took the dog to Banfield for his first checkup. I was talked into the "Plan". I was told he was heart worm positive and would need treatment but not to worry, it was very safe. All of this was not in the "plan" so I had to pay for it out-of-pocket (around $1000.00). The first treatment went OK. The 2nd treatment caused a reaction and the little dog went into respiratory arrest. They treated him and I was told that he had a reaction and should never be given anything (medications) while under the treatment. The 3rd treatment should have been the easiest because it was a pill. The dog was given the pill and no reaction was noted. When I picked him up the Vet (straight out of Vet School) told me he needed booster shots and a treatment for worms. He also had a skin infection and was given an antibiotic. Again, except for the boosters, I had to pay out-of-pocket. I questioned the vet due to the reaction to the 2nd treatment. She told me not to worry that if there was going to be a reaction it would have already happened. I took the dog with me to Charlotte for the weekend. He started throwing up and was listless. I called the Banfield to talk to the Vet. A message was forwarded to me that was normal and not to worry. The next day the little dog went into convulsions and died while trying to be resucitated at an emergency hosp. I was being debited monthly out of my account because they refused to end the contract even though the dog died at their hands (only used 2 months of their services). To this day, I am still fighting them over the debits from my account. I am tempted to take them to Small claims court ($5, 000) for "pain and suffering" and "economic hardship". It will cost me a lot of time and about $60.00 and I may not win but it may make them a little more careful. I have another dog now and even though I can take her back to Banfield under the existing contract, I love my dog too much to subject her to "quackery" and "thieves".

• De
    Delia Licon Mar 26, 2016

For all these reasons that I have read, I do not recommend using the services of Pestmart, mistreat our pets, care service is lousy, the plan for my pet I just renewed, CAN NOT CANCEL, then I left alone change store and wait until February 2017, really is a steal, I regret having taken this plan, but what if I'm sure is not the committee recommends for nothing, because even for supplements pets are thieves, much more expensive than in other stores, even online, DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE, I'm really upset, THESE PEOPLE LOSE A CUSTOMER MORE

• Do
    Dog lover 4life Mar 08, 2016

I agree with all posts saying DO NOT SIGN UP FOR BANFIELD IT IS A SCAM. Take your pet to a vet outside of their network that cares about your pet not on making money off of you.

John Kerrigan Jan 05, 2016

I am on line right now because I do not want it to extend another year. I have been happy up to this point. The service I received has been good. I will not be keeping the service because this is as bad as calling TWC ( cable company ) I am on hold now 15 minutes because I want to cancel next years service. DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS PLAN !!!

• Mo
    Monica A Sep 08, 2015

My local Banfield sent me a letter in the mail stating that they closed their facility that I had signed with. The next closest hospital to my is a 30 min drive. I have no transportation and can not take my dog on public transportation. I messaged customer service and they stated that I was still not able to cancel my plan, because it had not been a year. The agreement that I signed has the address of the hospital that is now closed. I do not see how I am legally obligated to pay them for services when the location I signed the agreement to is no longer running.

• Hm
    H&M Jul 28, 2015

Sad to say, but it took me 3 days to get hold of Banfield customer service to cancel my dog's plan. Thank God I had only two more months until the end of my contract year and grateful that the customer service agreed to waive the last month coverage in order for me to cancel the plan immediately.

Not the way I would have run my business, but it is what it is.

Conrad Galvez Jan 05, 2015

ya like i said no more Banfield for me they suck

Conrad Galvez Jan 05, 2015

ya Banfield and there damn wellness plan im tryin to cancel after being billed evey month of 31.95 and just coz i took my dog in for physical and her shots i gotta pay them over 200.00 dollars to cancel what about the money i paid monthly on the wellness plan i paid them evey month for the diccount they barely give you and they still want more money out of you man they can kiss my ### i wont go there no more

• St
    StacyKL Nov 18, 2014

The problem is is that you probably paid only 21.95 instead of the estimated $400 for the exam, shots etc. so essentially you already got the benefit of the year's plan. Perhaps they could just charge you out full fee for the initial exam that you took your late puppy to and then cancel the remainder of the payments.

• Ba
    BaileJae Sep 04, 2013

This is not the first issue that I have had with this specific Banfield. On one occasion I had left my boxer for her comprehensive exam and upon picking her up 9 hours later, she ran towards the door in desperate need of having to pee. I was annoyed at this point as I had a suspicion she was not let out the entire day to pee. She is a well trained house dog and will not pee indoors or inside a kennel. When I got home she went straight to her water bowl and drank as she hadn't had water in days. At this moment I called Banfield and the employee told me that they do not walk, feed, give water, or let dogs out to pee. Water is restricted because then the animals pee in the kennels. How can you torture these poor animals for hours without water?! That is inhumane treatment and I am not paying every month for my pet to receive this inadequate care. 6 months later I again took my dog for her comprehensive exam. When I picked her up and started walking around the store to shop, I noticed she would not put any pressure on her front paw. I walked back to the office and the employee then tried to blame it on my dog. That she was probably scratching at the kennel. AGAIN my dog is completely housebroken and does not scratch at kennels. She sometimes opts to sleep in her kennel while at home. They took her back in to examine her then came house and gave me too many excuses. This is just poor care. My pet is my family and for anyone to treat her like just another animal is beyond upsetting to me. I immediately let everyone know on my social media of how badly banfield cared for pets and was surprised that others had the same experiences. I will be cancelling my monthly "insurance" and will gladly pay full price to any other vet that will provide my pet with the care she deserves. I am extremely disappointed in the staff at this facility. If they do not have the compassion or the desire to care for these helpless animals then they need to find a different job path!

• Mo
    mobilecomputerman Oct 22, 2012

New info... their contract may be illegal/unenforceable according to an attorney I spoke with. They got me too, bad. Trying to enforce that contract after your pet has passed probably isn't legal. I'm starting a movement to do something about it. Here's my blog I just started. Join me in fighting these people.

• Banfield Pet Hospital May 29, 2012

Xena777xena, based on the details in your post, we believe that you are already in contact with our Client Advocate Team, and we will work on getting a response to you as soon as possible.

• Xe
    xena777xena May 28, 2012

I wish I read these reviews earlier. I will tell EVERYONE who has a pet this- and I am forwarding a description of my experience to EVERY pet owner I know. I moved to Maryland from another state and was looking for a vet for my 2 doxies. Banfield was quick to offer me the Wellness program and charge my credit card, but when my male dog had a paw infection a week later they were TOO BUSY to see him. I called for days for an apointment and finally drove to Virginia when the poor dog started limping. Shame on you Banfield!! They wouldn’t even let me speak to a vet!! My girl dog is there now for a teeth cleaning and every time they call me back they are adding another charge to her teeth cleaning bill! $45 for a different anesthesia, $200 to get a biopsy of a lump. I thought this pet insurance was for the care of my pet!!! I can’t wait to cancel next year!! STAY AWAY from Banfield. Just pay for services that your dog needs and find a vet that’s more concerned about the welfare of your pet than making a dollar!!!

• Cr
    Crawdiddly Jun 30, 2011

Same thing happened to me on the wellness plan. I did finally get them to reduce the amount by 50%, but still a giant rip-off. Burnt once your fault, burnt twice my fault. Never again.

• Kr
    Kruot Feb 05, 2011

Brought my Rottie in to have his face looked at. He ran into another dog and got a hematoma. The face was swollen and the eye looked infected. Took him in to be put on an antibiotic. I was told they would have to run some blood work because he is 8 yrs old and he might not tolerate the medicine. $480 dollars later I was told I could pick him up. The knocked him out to draw blood. I was told his blood work was fine other then his white blood count a little high but nothing major. They didn't think he had an infection but put him on antibiotics anyway. was told to bring him in in 2 weeks. 2 weeks later I brough him back and was told the face looked better then it did but they wanted to take exrays or more blood work. I declined. I brought him back 2 weeks later on a Sunday because his face got swollen again and you could tell that he had another infection. They said they had to take xrays. I had to leave him for a few hours. They would try sedate him a little to take them if they couldn't they would again knock him out. At this point i was told it would be almost $500 or if I sign up for the wellness plan it would only cost $235 plus like $40 a month for the next year. This amount would have to be paid even if he died. About 4 hours later I got a call to come pick him up. Of course they knocked him out and it took 3 people to carry him into the car because he was still so sedated. I was told that I need to see an oncologist because they think it was cancer. I told them it is clearly infected again and was told the medicine wouldn't do any good. I took almost 4 days for him to start eating because of the trauma they did to his face taking xrays. I left in shock and took him home. I looked at my bill when I got home and saw that i was charged for stuff that wasn't even done to him. I t was what they would have passed through to the insurance if i took out that wellness policy. i beleive that is insurance fraud. I called on Wednesday and asked if I could please get medicine for him because his face was clearly infected. I asked for a Vet to return my call. I again called back on Thursday and said I never received a call and would like to talk to a Vet. I was told the Vet is in surgery and that I really need to take him to the oncologist for a biopsy. I asked for a return call. It is now 2 weeks later and i am still waiting for that return call. I have a friend who is a Vet and she was passing through our state to go home. She stopped by and looked at him. She started him on antibiotics. After 2 doses his face is almost back to normal. I will never go to a Banfield again and do my best to make sure I tell everyone about my experience with them.

SAV74 Jan 21, 2011

I have two dogs on Wellness Plans, and am very pleased with the services I've received. I was originally skeptical of signing up, but the convenience of stopping in while at Petsmart lurred me into signing up my first dog. I price checked services, vaccinations, and office visit prices at other local vets, and determined that Banfield is just as competitive, if not cheaper, pricewise than the local competition.

The big advantage of a Wellness Plan is that you get unlimited FREE office visits, so there's no hesitation to get your pet checked out when you suspect something is wrong. Unlike some others who have commented here, I have logged office visits where my balance was zero. There were no "extra" services pushed on me when I've been to Banfield with my dogs.

Additionally, I've never experienced long wait times with my dogs. In fact, I rarely even have to schedule an appointment. Most times I go to Banfiled, I just "walk in" with my dogs in addition to buying pet supplies at Petsmart.

Finally, let me address the "cant' cancel" complaints. The idea of the Wellness Plan is to prepay a discounted fixed annual amount for a specific set of vet services. This discounted prepayment can be payed in monthly installments for added convenience.

At my first vistit, the checkup, blood testing, vaccinations, etc. would have cost more than the entire total of the discounted annual plan over the course of 12 months. Therefore, if I attempt to cancel prior to renewal, then I would be responsible for paying the remainder of the discounted annual amount. Even if this was to occur, I already received the fair market value of services well in excess of the discounted price I would still be on the hook for. Why some people don't seem to understand this, is beyond me.

Have the same people who complain about cancelling their plans ever tried to cancel their annual cell phone contract? Try paying Verizon Wireless a $250 or higher cancellation fee if you want to break your contract early with them. With cell phone companies, the cancellation fee doesn't even cover services perviously performed. It's essentially a fine.

In contrast with Banfield, if you want to cancel, either pay the balance of the fair market value of previous services rendered, i.e, your "Account Balance" or payoff the remaining annual discounted cost of the plan. Either way, you are paying for services received. I don't understand why the complainers don't see that this is totally reasonable.