Floor Coverings International Arch City (St. Louis, MO)terrible installation job and unethical behaviour

We hired this franchise to re-tile our bathroom floor and walls. I cannot accurately describe the horrible job that was done. There are many chipped and uneven tiles. In some places there are gobs of excess grout and in others no grout at all. The grout lines on the walls do not line up due to the lack of use of spacers. Each of the walls is tiled to a different height making the corners off. Grout is falling out in several places. The shower niches they built are so crooked that everything falls out of them making them utterly useless and the grout in these niches is discoloring.

When I complained the owner said he was very proud of the work that was done. Only after contacting their headquarters did the owner have his crew came back out, but they managed to do an even worse job. When attempting to make some of the corrections, they chipped more tiles, punched two holes in one of our walls, and replaced tiles leaving no space between them for grout.

Someone from their corporate office came out an agreed that this was a terrible job and pointed out several other areas that needed to be addressed.

The owner of the franchise initially tried to give us a few hundred dollars claiming it would only take a day to fix these issues. Now he is saying it will take 1, 000.00 despite him not being able to produce a tiler offering to do the work for that little money. I've had three quotes now on what it will take to fix the issues - and the cheapest came in at $3, 000.00.

Not once has he taken ownership of this mess. Instead he has provided a laundry list of excuses. My favorites of these excuses for the poor workmanship are 1) I asked for an "old-looking tile" (I wanted a vintage looking black and white tile for the floor) and 2) my shampoo must be causing the grout to discolor and fall out.

He has for the most part been non-communicative. Despite numerous attempts at communicating with him (text and email), he claims he can't figure out what we want to fix this. (We've been asking for at least the minimum quote of 3, 000.)

After ten weeks we still do not have a resolution. It looks like this may end up in small claims court. I do NOT recommend using the Arch City franchise. Please save yourself frustration, time, and money - look elsewhere.

Ho