Kabeara Kennels, Lockport, IllinoisIssues with Chinchilla Records/Customer Service

I'm glad I found this. And I find it ironic that so many Samoyed owners have weighed in on issues here. My issues are with her chinchilla herd and records she promised, but never delivered. I had purchased a white female from her some time back and all seemed fine and dandy. She assured me (as I had specifically asked) that the chins were handled and well acclimated to humans from little kits up...that the kids who came in to feed them gave them human contact. I did wonder why she would put chins, who are relatively quiet and LIKE the quiet, in the same garage atmosphere with Samoyeds, who barked incessantly. I love my "Blanca, " but I have to say, several years later, that she is still timid. At the time, I'd blamed it on her youth; but she never really grew out of it. Yapping puppies and very little real human interaction will do that, evidently. My biggest issue, other than my worries over her oddly situated animals, were for the two I purchased from her a few years later. In person and later, by mail, phone, and e-mail, I begged for the information on them...their registration numbers, their birth date, their parentage. I had no intention to breed them, and haven't, but this is pretty basic stuff that (at least their ages) you not only want, but need for vet records and such. Never got a response, except the occasional promise to get me this very basic info, which should have been handy in the FIRST place. But hindsight is 20-20. When, in 2007, one of the latter chinnies died of bloat, it could have been attributed to any number of causes, not necessarily Kabeara. But again, it reminded me of her inattention on these last two chins and confirmed my suspicions that she was a hobbyist, or ran a "mill, " and was not a bona fide breeder. Somebody with too much time and money and not enough consideration for her clients or her animals. I believe I bought them in 2005. After years of asking for the info, I just gave up. It ain't gonna happen.