American Home Shield [AHS] company logo
American Home Shield [AHS]
reviews & complaints
American Home Shield [AHS]
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

713 complaints
54 resolved 659 unresolved

Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more

American Home Shield [AHS] Go to website

American Home Shield [AHS] reviews & complaints

American Home Shield [AHS] complaints 713

K
Jan 20, 2022

American Home Shield [AHS] - Double billed on Dec. 22, 2021

My credit card shows two $75 billings forf the same service on Dec. 22, 2021. In addition I had signed up for your special furnace examination offer ($50) but had to cancel that since my furnace was no longer working. I was told I would receive a $50 credit for that cancelled appointment, but that does not appear on the MasterCard statement.

Ken Kofman
944 - 18th St Unit 3
Santa Monica CA 90403
[protected]

Desired outcome: Refund of $125

AHS business model is based on NOT providing the service and repairs contracted and paid for and expecting people to just give up. If you are not willing to file a lawsuit, don't expect them to do the right thing on their own.

American Home Shield [AHS] - Pool Equipment

On 12/15/21, a Pool Service contractor was sent out to access the pool equipment and why the pool electrical panel was shut down. Since there was no electricity the pool contractor could not access the problem. On 12.17 an Electrician contractor was sent out and was able to get the electrical panel working. On 12/20 an Electrical contractor came out and was not able to get the panel to work, so he had to replace it. He informed AHS and me that there was a problem with the equipment that was causing the problem with the electrical panel. On 12/21, I contacted AHS to asked about someone from the pool company to come out to look at the equipment. I was told that it had been sent to the review department and that someone would be in contact with me. Today is 1/20/2022 and I had not heard from anyone.

Desired outcome: Replace the pool pump that is over 10 years old and has a life expectancy of 5 years.

American Home Shield [AHS] - Refrigerator Repair

When I contacted customer service about the below issue they told me to send an email to [protected]@ahs.com. I did that and 3 days later received an email to contact customer care. Complete circle.
This is the email sent along with my contact information.
RE: Contract #[protected]
On December 5, 2021 I initiated a service request #[protected] for a refrigerator repair. After waiting for a month on January 12, 2022 you sent a Sears repairman, and he replaced a part and you closed the service request. The next day January 13th the refrigerator was still not cold I contacted AHS to send the technician back because it was still not working.
I was told that there weren't any available appointments and that your scheduling department was working on obtaining an appointment. I contacted Sears directly and was able to obtain an appointment the next day January 14th. The same technician that AHS sent came back again on January 14th. This time he replaced the condenser. I had to pay $794.23 for this repair that should have been performed by AHS. (Receipt attached). I do not understand why my appointment request submitted to AHS is pending assignment, when I was able to get Sears back out here the next day on my own. I expect to be reimbursed for this covered repair, after being without a refrigerator for over a month.

Desired outcome: repair reimbursement

American Home Shield [AHS] - Central Vacuum Service Call

I have been dealing with the same issue since August, my central vacuum which is covered under my plan has been down, I have called at least 20 times, have been told half of those times that my situation will be escalated and someone WILL call me back. No one has called me back, EVER. Now they say they closed the call and they gave me a buy out which I didn't accept, which was 1/3 of the actual repair cost. I asked for a second opinion from a service person and they denied me getting it. The issue is extremely hard to diagnose because it is an in house system with the piping in the walls. I simply want a real supervisor to call me back and have a real conversation.

Desired outcome: I want someone to call me back

American Home Shield [AHS] - Hot water heater

On 12/31/2022 our hot water heater went. I opened a claim, knowing it was a holida Weekend, and would need to wait until Monday. Today is 1/18/2022 and I still do not have a hot water heater. We have been getting a run around, and have called them everyday. We even had an appointment today with the plumber to replace, and he never showed up or called. When we finally got hold of him, 4 hours after scheduled time, he said he wasn't going to get the heater because it was too far. This is going on 3 weeks without hot water. I have children in this house. This needs to be rectified!

Desired outcome: New hot water heater installed

G

American Home Shield [AHS] - claimed filed September 2021 for a slide in range

filed a non working burner on a slide in Maytag range September 21, 2021 - The vendor came out 2x after the initial evaluation to remove a part with this email Dear Member,

RE: Home Service Contract Number [protected]

The part for your cooktop/range is no longer available but can be rebuilt. AHS does rebuild parts due to the high success rate of the repair. The contractor will be calling you to schedule an appointment to pull the old part from your cooktop/range and ship it to the rebuilder for repair. During this time your cooktop/range may not function. This repair is estimated to take approximately 10 - 12 weeks. We apologize for this delay. You have the option to take the cost of the repair, which is $215.37, and put it towards the purchase of a new cooktop/range. Please reply to this email accepting this repair to start the build process or accept a check for the repair amount. You may also call the Appliance Purchasing Department at [protected] and choose the Appliance Purchasing option #1. Our department hours are Monday - Friday, 7am - 7pm Central time. We are also available by email or phone should you have questions regarding this repair.

Sincerely,
Appliance Parts

American Home Shield [AHS] - Plumbing

On December 18, 2021, I flushed my toilet, and it began to overflow. Both of my bathroom toilets overflowed and fecal matter was coming back into my bathrooms, tubs, water was flowing down my hallway, and the smell was horrible. I contacted AHS and expressed that I had an emergency and needed someone to come out ASAP. I was assigned to contractors that contacted me and expressed that the earliest they could come out was 12/28/2021. I contacted AHS again and spoke with another agent, that assigned another contractor (never received a response from contractor). I spoke with several agents regarding my emergency and all I received was a run around. This went on for a day. I had to clean up sewage and go outside to remove the drainage cap, which cause sewage to now be in my backyard.

Contacted AMS again and still no luck. I was assigned to another contractor that finally contacted me and again was unable to come out for an emergency. I contact AHS again and explained that their contractors are unable to come out and I needed a contractor that could come out for an emergency. Due to the limited contractors, I had to contact my own plumber that came out the next day, leave my home for the night because I was unable to use my bathrooms and the smell was unbearable.

I received a call from Consumer Affairs on 1/19/2021 and gave AHS a poor review, later a representative from AHS contacted me regrading my review and assured that I would receive a full refund although I did not use one of their contractors. He expressed for me to send in my receipt for a full refund and in return to provide a positive review. I submitted my receipt for the amount of $350.00 to AHS and they denied my refund. However, they did refund my $100 for the contractors that were no help to me in an emergency.

Desired outcome: My $350 refund for the service I had to hire because AHS do not have contracts are able to come out whenyou have an emergency.

J
Jan 15, 2022

American Home Shield [AHS] - Pool Equipment Repair and Air Conditioner Failure

I'm just exhausted from trying to use American Home Shield. EVERYTHING has been denied the first time I pay the service fee. I have to fight so much to ever get anything covered. One of my air conditioners quit working, and they put bandaid fixes on it multiple times and it didn't work properly for months...and my electric bills where at least 2 times higher than usual, so I finally just gave up and paid $7000 for a new HVAC unit. They gave me about $1000 towards it, but they refused to replace it completely. They also refused to fix refrigerator issues.

I've had the same issue with the pool equipment. When my pool motor started to go out (it was making a HORRIBLE noise), I was told to wait until it died completely to call AHS, because other AHS customers told me that they would not replace it until it had completely quit working. When it finally died, they sent a tech out who quickly determined that there MUST have been a power surge that caused the motor to stop working. But it had been going out for WEEKS. It didn't happen suddenly, which is what would happen in the event of a power SURGE. They said it was because the spa blower motor had been wired incorrectly. The only reason I was able to get it covered was because the company that installed my blower motor was an option for a 2nd opinion. So I asked for that company and told them that the 1st company said that they wired the blower incorrectly. I knew that they would NEVER agree that they had made a mistake, and I was right. They said that the motor didn't die because of a power surge, and it was FINALLY covered.

But now my VERY OLD pool heater is leaking. And I just know that they are going to have some reason to deny my claim. I'm guessing that they will either say that it MUST have been due to the water pressure being to high at SOME point (which is impossible to prove) or from the pipes freezing (which hasn't happened since last February). But mark my words, they WILL find an excuse to deny my claim. It's NEVER just because it's old and quit working. Even though my house is about 15 years old and it's about time for things to just quit working.

Desired outcome: I would like them to actually just replace the pool heater without forcing me to get ANOTHER 2nd opinion and without having to ask for arbitration. Otherwise I'm going to cancel my contract at the end of the year.

S

American Home Shield [AHS] - Member for 4 years now for Premium Home warranty - Can't get any Service

I put an emergency order in on January 8th, 2022 for the refrigerator being out. As of this Posting January 12th, 2022 no one has called me back to schedule any servicing. We have medication that is going bad. I am in the Charlotte, North Carolina, USA ( largest city in the Carolinas )

The work order number is #[protected]

After numerous calls American Home Shield is doing absolutely nothing.

I was charged on Saturday 8th, 2020 at 12:00 noon EST-local time for $107.00 for the call to be set up...

I would like this to be resolved but would like others to see this before considering making a 4 year mistake like I did.

AHS business model is based on NOT providing the service and repairs contracted and paid for and expecting people to just give up. If you are not willing to file a lawsuit (small claims court process is relatively inexpensive and fairly straightforward), don't expect them to do the right thing on their own.

American Home Shield [AHS] - Furnace replacement

We requested a service request online Wednesday, January 5th at appr. 5:30pm (12 degrees outside). When no expedite option came I up, I called AHS to request a speed up of services due to the cold...

American Home Shield [AHS] - Home Warranty

I purchased my home warranty in November (21). In December I made a claim about my ice maker not working in my refrigerator. Scheduled a service for 12/23. No show. Called (on phone 30+) minutes. AHS couldn't find a tech and wasn't sure why the first tech never showed. Scheduled service for 1/4/22 tech came did something and said if it didn't make ice to call back. It didn't make ice. Called 1/5. (45+) minutes. Scheduled another service for 1/10. No Show. Called the tech they said that AHS cancelled the order on Saturday. I have wasted 12+ hours on an ICE MAKER. This has been the WORST experience. I was with Old Republic before and NEVER had to go through this! Now I am supposed to wait another 4 hours on a tech that may or may not show up.

Desired outcome: I want my ice maker fixed and to cancel my subscription

American Home Shield [AHS] - Outstanding repair orders

Requested service for both my dishwasher and washing machine in September of 2021. Repair person came out, ordered parts to fix came back out and installed and a different part then broke on the...

American Home Shield [AHS] - Washer request 11/26/21 not done jan 7, [protected] warm springs road glen ellen ca 95442 razon pol#[protected]&[protected] disp#[protected]&[protected]

Dec7 A&E came ordered parts. 2 parts came. Tech came Dec 22 cannot install motor cuz new part has 8 wires but old has 5 wires. He's not qualified to do job & supervisor will send a qualified tech. Left screws cuz no time to put back on front panel. Supervisor mad cuz spent 3 hrs & shouldbe 20 min. New tech came Jan 7, after2 hrs, asked us for belt which we do not have. Tech before him said he left us the belt & not true. He said, cannot install the motor without belt. We called A&E while tech still here, agent asked tech where to order part, tech said he does not know. Tech left upset & left A&E agent who said Routing Dept in Dallas will call us in 90 min. We waited fr 3-5pm PST but no call. Called A&E, talked to Alicia said no note about the RoutingDept phonecall. Called AHS Sat 1/8, Tom said Field Manager/Dispatch will resolve this issue. See Attachment

Desired outcome: We need to get washer fixed cuz we have not washed our clothes/towels, sheets from Nov 26 2021 to now Jan 7, 2022. We are handwashing our underwear and pajamas. Cannot go to laundromat cuz we are 81 year old people because of Covid.

T
Jan 09, 2022

Can you please delete the above post ASAP because we thought we are sending this to AHS directly and not to this media? Sorry but it is not our intention to post this publicly. Thanks for protecting our address but our full names (on top)) and age (under desired outcome) and attachment are also showing. Thank you.

How do we delete this complaint because we thought we are sending it directly to American Home Shield and not posted in this media? Thank you.

American Home Shield [AHS] - Hot water heater

I filed a service request for my hot water heater on December 29, 2021. The vendor came out to diagnose on January 3, 2022. On January 4, 2022, the vendor called me to explain what needs to be done...

L
Jan 07, 2022

American Home Shield [AHS] - Home warranty

We have been customers of AHS for ten years. Multiple homes.
We have always been able to use our preferred Heating and cooling company (local). However, recently we needed a service call and AHS said they were not on the list. They only offered us 2 choices, when they state they offer 3. Our heating and cooling company has been a an AHS vendor for years now and they have called three times to clarify why. One time they were told they were still a vendor. Then when we shared they were not listing, they called back and were hung up on by AHS. And have left messages for their area rep as well as management. No return response. I also have done the same, but no response. The only two vendors they offer have horrible reviews online and one isn't even local.
We've had to use one before. Never again. I requested a manager call me back and was told 24-48 response time. It's now been 3 days. And the heating and cooling company has still not received a call either.
This is how they treat customers. Most phone reps were very rude.

Desired outcome: Use of our chosen previously used AHS vendor.

Dec 29, 2021

American Home Shield [AHS] - about my dish washer

Starting on Dec.17, 2021 my request for my dishwasher to be fixed has not been resolved. It does not dry and leakes water from bottom of the door, have supposedly been on order parts as well.Client number [protected]. I am constantly told parts on order or that it's been resolved which has never been the case. I call and get lies, apologies, and the run around. This is extremely annoying and quite obvious that the goal is to get the customer to give up and buy replacement not using overpriced warranty that never delivers. I would like replacement cost for a new dishwasher and never have to deal with such dishonesty again. The tech came back again after one week bring parts and waste my time 2 hours and he cant fix it and told us need to order another part it will take 5 more days pls resolve this or send me a new dish washer or i can go with my layer thanks

Be careful about threatening a Lawyer "layer". Many companies immediately cut off contact with you and allow only their legal department to speak with your suggested attorney.

Dec 29, 2021

pls help need to resolve this issue asap

American Home Shield [AHS] - 4908 Templemore Ct., Henrico, VA 23228--Acct No [protected], Hot Water Heater

I was never notified of a new account number until I called about the Hot Water Heater (HWH) on 12/17/21. WHY?

12/20/21 TOM CAME FROM Discount Contractors. I assume he talked to you and relayed the message to us that it would be TWO WEEKS BEFORE you would install a new HWH! Beyond my understanding when there are many HWH to purchase in Richmond and how you could be so careless about our needs. I assume you did not want to do the work and/or honor your contract.

I notified you and Discount Contractors by phone on 12/20/21 that we had a HWH installed on 12/20/21 and cancel. Reimburse us $2000 by 1/15/22.

I am requesting the payment of $100 and monthly payment you took out
on 12/18 plus $2000 for HWH be refunded to us by 1/15/22. I will mail a copy of the receipt for the HWH upon your request.

Desired outcome: To send receipt of HWH. By 1/15/22-return 12/18 payment & $100 to our cking.

American Home Shield [AHS] - Dishwasher

Starting on Sept.9, 2021 my request for my dishwasher to be fixed has not been resolved. It does not dry and mangled, rusted racks have supposedly been on order as well.Client number [protected]. I am constantly told parts on order or that it's been resolved which has never been the case. I call and get lies, apologies, and the run around. This is extremely annoying and quite obvious that the goal is to get the customer to give up and buy replacement not using overpriced warranty that never delivers. I would like replacement cost for a new dishwasher and never have to deal with such dishonesty again.

Desired outcome: Reimburse for replacement cost

American Home Shield [AHS] - Hot Water Heater Repair

We had problem with our water heaters in September. At that time they could not determine if they were leaking as the HVAC was also leaking.High Priority Plumbing also provided a quote for $3, 850 to replace both hot water heaters. We had to replace the hot water heaters as they were leaking. We have been trying to get AHS to reimburse us to the hot water heaters. AHS keeps telling us they will have someone look into it, but they have yet to provide a satisfactory resolution. If I had kept a log from the start I would have several dozen names by now. I am very disappointed in AHS and am considering legal action

Desired outcome: Reimbursement for $3850 for hot water heaters we replaced on emergency basis.sis

American Home Shield [AHS] - Oven refrigerator

I have been waiting from September to repair my oven and refrigerator I have called every other day and they keep telling me there looking into it the repair co. They sent out and ordered parts are no longer in business there number is disconnected. They at one time told me the part are in but they never tell me what's happening I'm a older woman and so unhappy the way there handling this I need help please I'm not asking I'm begging you to help me

1 2 3  ...  36