Singapore Immigration Serviceimmigration clearance at immigration checkpoint tuas

G Jun 20, 2019

On Saturday, 16 June 2019, I travelled to Singapore from Malacca on board a Starmart Express bus from Malacca. The bus pulled into Tuas Immigation Checkpoint around 12.25 pm. After clearing Singapore Customs, I went to the immigration counters and queued to be served.

At around 12.40 pm, the counter in front of me was clear and I walked forwards. As I approached the counter the immigration officer glared at me and in an unfriendly and unwelcoming way asked "Did I ask you to come?". I then said "sorry" and I went back to the place behind the yellow line where I had been waiting. After a few seconds, the immigration officer(officer) called a traveller waiting at another queue to serve her. I construed the action by the officer as a punishment.

After I was cleared by a different officer at another counter I asked this officer for the name of the officer that had asked me to go back to the yellow line. He did not want to tell me and so I walked to the officer concerned who was free at the time and asked him for his name. Instead of complying he asked why I wanted his name. He then quickly used his hands to cover his name badge. He then rather aggressively asked me to follow him to a back room to resolve the matter. I was shocked at the reaction and response. As we were walking to the room a policeman approached us and asked what the matter was. The officer concerned said something I cannot remember. The policeman then quickly told the officer to go back to his post. He then asked me what was the problem and I quickly explained to him what had happened and wanted to know the name of the officer. He then told me I could lodge a complaint. When asked for the name of the officer he told me he could not do so but however gave me the officer's first name as "Izzy". I noticed from the badge of the officer that he is a sergeant.

My complaint is as follows:-
1) The rudeness of the officer in the stern way he asked me why I had gone forward to his counter without him telling me so. He could have told me politely to go back to behind the yellow line and wait for him to call me. To me, he behaved in a cocky and rude way.
2) The act of the officer not calling me forward but calling someone from another queue showed he was on a "power trip" and wanted to punish me.
3) By not wanting to tell me his name shows he was not behaving in a professional manner and leading me to a back room shows his behaviour was threatening and intimidating.

I find my bad experience totally at odds which what I expect public services to be like in Singapore i.e. professional, efficient and courteous. Please investigate. Thank you

Yin Kam Chong