Home Warranty Complaints & Reviews

Home WarrantyRefused to honor contract

My central AC unit stopped working. Choice Home warranty sent an AC "specialist" to diagnose the problem. He stated that the compressor was bad and had to be replaced. Choice Home Warranty refused to honor the claim stating that it would be impossible for the compressor to go bad. I had to call Mark Air In Fayetteville NC. They diagnose the problem and found out that it was not the air compressor. They repaired the unit and it's working fine. I cancelled my policy with Choice. They are nothing but a bunch of crooks!

Home WarrantyRipoff

Bought an older house recently, so Realtor advised getting a Home Warranty Plan to cover my appliances through Old Republic, with $100 Service Calls. Had problems with dishwasher not draining, and dryer not heating up. Company scheduled Bay to Bay Appliance Repair. Tech came out telling me water in the dishwasher was normal, and there was nothing wrong with the dryer, just use a different setting, and made inappropriate personal comments. I told him the electric company said it was the heating element, so he finally said he would have one ordered. Called Old Republic to complain. They said they would obtain a different repair tech. Bay to Bay called me to set up a 2nd appointment, but told me they were not told of any problem, or sending out a different tech., but would do so at my request. Old Republic does not seem to be ethical if they do not follow through on their promises!

Home WarrantyRefuses to cover claim

I recently placed a claim with HSA due to a leak coming from the drain area in the tub. The technician was sent to my home and he showed every step of his diagnosis. He showed me what was leaking and walked me through the repair step by step. He collected the $75 “trade call fee” and gave me a receipt and explanation of the work needed in writing. He then left and said he would submit his report to HSA and they send him back to make the repair. He said it would be covered because I had waste and drain coverage.
      The next day someone from HSA contacted and said that some of the costs associated with the repair would not be covered and they needed me to agree to pay that before they could send the technician back to complete the work. When I asked for more details I was told that they only cover the part that is mechanically failing and I would have to cover the rest. They said that that I would need to pay for the overflow pipe and that parts and labor would be $200. In addition they said that I needed to pay another $279 dollars for parts and labor for 4 additional feet of new pipe that needed to be upgraded to PVC. When I asked what they were going to cover they said they would cover the part that is mechanically failing at a cost $130. When I asked what part was mechanically failing they said the tub waste overflow.
      I tried to explain that a tub waste overflow includes the overflow pipe and all other parts needed to make this repair they just kept saying saying that the pipes weren’t failing so the pipes weren't covered. Obviously no one answering their phones knows anything at all about even basing plumbing. I even tried to get someone to look it up on the internet. Seriously if you type “tub waste overflow” into a search engine you can clearly see what it includes.
      Then I asked about the additional 4 feet of new pipe that needed to be upgraded to PVC. They said their technician said it needed to be done in order to complete the repair. I told them that all of the pipes were already PVC. Then I was told that they have to go with what their technician tells them. I went through the repair step by step with the technician and he never showed or told me about any pipe that needed to be upgraded. In addition his written receipt and description do not mention this 4 feet of new pipe. Only a tub waste overflow.
      I even took photos of the all the pipes in question and the receipt and description from the technician. When I asked for an email address so that I could send them the info for them to look over they refused to even give me an email address. After talking to multiple representatives and supposed supervisors I turned to the BBB hoping for some time of mediation and common sense.
      I filed my complaint with the BBB stating that I “simply want HSA to have the leak repaired. If they will not cover the full cost I would like an itemized, detailed, explanation showing what parts and labor they are covering and their cost, along with what parts and labor I am being asked to cover and their cost.” The response I received from them is as follows:

“The HSA contract covers only the primary failure, which is the waste and overflow component part. In order to replace this, the existing piping is not compatible for the proper repairs to be done and needs to be replaced.  As the existing piping is not failing, this replacement piping is not covered per the terms and conditions on the contract.
      Homeowner--$200 for parts and labor for the overflow pipe, $295 for parts and labor of approximately 4 feet of new piping that needs to be upgraded to PVC piping.
      HSA-$130 for a flat rate for these repairs.”

They still included work that is unnecessary and over priced and still refuse to explain exactly what they claim to be covering instead referring to it as a flat rate. I rejected their offer but it in a spirit of compromise born from a desire to have the repair complete I agreed to accept a check for the $130 and handle the repairs myself. In response to my effort to work things out:

“The homeowner should have paid the $75.00 deductible to the vendor at the time of diagnosis.  The $130 is before the deductible, so the reimbursement amount is $55.”

HSA promptly refused to pay full $130 instead saying they would subtract the $75 service trade call fee I had paid from their part of the bill and only give me $55.
      I have also rejected the $55 and I am insisting on at minimum the full $130. This is in spite of the fact I still feel they should cover the entire repair, but it least it would cover the parts that are actually needed. I am still trying to resolve this issue as write this review and the outcome is yet to be known.
      In short DO NOT purchase a warranty from HSA and if you are offered one by a seller just ask for the $500 in cash or request it be purchased from another company.

5 Responses
          Mark Barry##### Oct 22, 2014

The worst service ever. Took a month to get door opener and washer fixed. Customer service is nothing but rude. Call all complaints to Mark Barry at corporate [protected]. He can also be reached at [protected], ask for the president's office to leave a message.

• They did the same to me ! We did the work, paid for the materials, and filed all of the required documents as per their guidelines, yet they have not paid me. At present they owe me more than $6000. Stanley Goodspeed seems to be the front man for this fraud. I have sent dozens of emails to all of their corporate officers and none of them has has responded. AVOID CHIOCE HOME WARRANTY or you will be sorry.
          Jim Russell Paradise Pool Services Plano Texas [protected]

• Ap
          Appliances of Plano Dec 17, 2011

CHOICE HOME WARRANTY .. DOES NOT PAY the service people that do their warranty work! They have stolen thousands of dollars in services from my company!
          They are not reputable at all! They lie and steal!
          Tell everyone you know.. I am that's for sure!

John Wilkeson Nov 26, 2011

Called for service and got run around so I cancelled service and issued written notice per contract agreement. Requested refund on pro-rata basis per contract agreement and have NOT received my refund and they fail to answer emails or return calls. I have had contracts with several other such companies with no problems, this is the worse company I have ever done business with and would not recommend to anyone!

• Jj
          JJJConsumer Apr 09, 2009

They are running a limited time only special $100 off! They must be starting to feel some pressure, and know their scam has just about run its course...if anyone knows of another way to protect other unsuspecting souls, let me know.

Don't be a victim!

Home Warrantyfraud , scam

I wish I would read about this company before buying coverage for my home appliances . This company is absolutely a fraudulent company that at the time of selling you coverage they mislead you intentionally. verbally that they will pay for all the cost of repairs on major home appliances and specially A/C units, even will pay for freon etc... and after you buy and pay them then they will send
        you policy which basically they are not liable for any cost of repair because they have this EXCLUSSION version in the policy that states they are not paying for almost all the components of the any appliances !!! so makes u wonder then WHAT IS COVRRED !!!?
        for example a refrigerators leak, ice maker problem, lights, hinges, doors, etc... is not covered . lately my a/c unit stopped working, was bad compressor they sent a tech. it was a bad compressor, paid 45 dollars, I was lucky that the compressor was under warranty so we received the part and thinking they will pay for the labor and material ... DREAM ON!!! they are a bunch of
        scams that are trained how to find excuses for denying of a claim, which in my case they said just because the compressor
        was under warranty with manufacture they are not paying NOTHING . People, , , be aware this company . there is a ton of
        complaint against them . we all should file a lawsuit against them because they are rubbing our money. I had to pay for the entire cost of labor and material for installing new compressor while having insurance coverage for my unit !!!

1 Response

Home WarrantyHorrible Service

I have had First American Warranties on both of my homes for some time. While some of the service has been acceptable, my most recent encounter with this company has caused me to close my accounts. I will never do business with them again. While they are the cheapest of the Home Warranties on the market, you get what you pay for. The microwave in my rental was broken and I called First American to send a repairman. They confirmed a date and window of time. I made arrangements to list the property for sale and scheduled an open house based upon the date and time of the service call. The service was to be through Sears Home Service, another horrible company. Sears never showed up and I found out later that Sears had cancelled my appointment without letting me know. When I called First American and asked for someone to come within 24 hours, they refused and told me to go find my own repair person. They did offer to reimburse me for the charge, but the whole reason I have home warranties is so that I don't have to find my own repair person or pay a large out of pocket expense. Ultimately I just purchased and installed a new microwave because it was easier than going through the hoops that First American was making me jump through. I asked First American to reimburse me for the cost of the microwave minus what a service call would have cost me and they refused. It's not the money that I lost that upsets me, because it was minimal, microwaves are cheap. But it was the horrible customer service, the lack of assistance, and the lack of ownership that drove me away from this company. They clearly do not care about their customers, are standoffish, lack follow through and professionalism. My recommendation is to NEVER use First American. I have filed a complaint with the BBB as well. I urge you to not choose this company if you are in need of a Home Warranty.

Home WarrantyService

I have been without a refridgerator for three days now. I have had two contractors come out to look at the refridgerator and determined that is was not reparable; American Home Shield is still looking for someone to repair the refridgerator, since my refridgerator is a closed end system no contractor is willing to touch it. I ask what is the company policy for locating a contractor for a difficult repair...ie how long do you call around until you determine that this refridgerator is not repairable and needs to be replaced? I never received a straight answer on that, one representative stated that there was no company policy on that. All they can do is reimburse me for renting a refridgerator, which sould like a great idea, but where am I going to put another refridgerator? Really? Or, I could buy a dorm size refridgerator until they can get mines fixed. So I will count up the cost and repost for everyone to see. THIS IS NOT THE COMPANY FOR YOU...I have been a customer of them for years...they don't have a problem as long as you continue to pay you monthly preminum like a good little customer...but you will get the runaround with this company. I have called every two hours, they will give you an outside authorization to see if you can find someone..don't do it because if they won't fix it then you start the process all over again. That is what I'm experiencing. Please find another one right away after this is over I will be cancelling my policy ASAP!

8 Responses
              • Lo
                loverain Feb 16, 2012

I made a claim that the Kenmore radiant cook top in my house is cracked. They sent a contractor to exam it on Monday, Feb 6th. The contractor took some photos and charged for $60 service fee. He said the photos would be given to the Home warranty company in the next day and I should expect a phone call from home warranty company by Wednesday, Feb 8th. I did not receive any phone call. I called them several times from Feb 8th to Feb 13th. Every time I was told the same story: they deny the claim because the contractor said the crack was caused by some impact, but not during normal use; I asked for the photos;They said no photos received from the contractor but they would request the photos from the contractor and would call me soon。 The same conversation repeated for several times. I called them on Feb 14th again. They changed their answer and said the claim was denied; that is it, no photos, and no more actions.

They lied about the cracks, which appeared in normal use without any impact, any heavy pots or pans dropped on the surface. The heat when cook made some cracks grow fast along the shape of the conductive wire loop underneath it. Finally the cracks become a round loop, separated from the smooth surface and fell off due to gravity. Everything happened within 30 minutes when I cooked and I did not even notice it until I finished cooking and lifted the pans away from the cook top. The same thing happened to another burner in the same cook top last week.

I believe this kind of cracks is not “noval” because it happened during normal cooking without any impact or pots falling. The company insisted that the cracks were caused by some hard impact or pots dropping. They lied. As a home warranty company, they have seen this kind of claims too many times and they just use their routine excuse to deny them. I even offered them to duplicate the same cracks by any hard impact or dropping pots on the two good burners left in the cooktop and. They refused it because they know they lied.

They made good promises when I purchased the contract. Now, when I want to use it, they lied and denied claim which should be covered. I want to report this abuse and request them to correct what they did by covering my claim.

• Le
                leecar Sep 07, 2011

Have had this company for almost 3 years I will sigh up for another year. It took 3 days to get the water heater fixed. The plumber fixing the stopped drain did it in one service call and simple wiring problem was fixed in 24 hours. It is to hard to get them to do repairs with the same quailty of parts you had. Not all of the companies they use are good. Some come out and dont fix it at all then you have to call BBG back, now we have a missing part so the second company will not fix if the part is missing. So if it was there the first time and fixed there would be no problem. I dont get it I call a service tech comes out says yes it is broken all parts are there why can't he fix it? This started August 22 now it is Sept 7 and I am still waiting for BPG to get a hold of first company. Will post if I ever get it fixed

• Ac
                acnaib Jun 01, 2010

We filed a claim regarding our Refrigerator and they sent us a laundry repair man. He came removed the bottom panel and said dust caused the problem of the freezer portion of the refrigerator to go out. We thought that sounded strange but went on his advise and waited 24 hours to see if the freezer would work. Well it did not and had to call again this time he cam out and state it could be the compressor or a leak. Which it could not be a leak because there was not water. He did not leave any paper work and we found that strange but requested that we call Choice and get some one who knows about compressors. But when he reported to Choice he stated it was a leak. When we confronted Choice they refused to send anyone else out. The customer service person return out phone call 5 minutes before they closed and when challenging him he hung up on us. This is unbelievable I wish I had done my homework prior to selecting this company. There are thousand complaints on this company. I am contacting the Attorney General office and anyone reading this should do the same. Maybe they will investigate and do something about this.

Disappointed Consumer in DC Jun 18, 2009

I forgot to mention NHP's address is 42 West 38th Street, NY, NY 10018. The number, which no longer works now, was [protected].

Disappointed Consumer in DC Jun 18, 2009

I just learned that the company was a scam. Last March 2017, I purchased 3 years of service for $1, 049.73 (effective through 3/15/2017. Although I mailed in my rebate form to receive a $50 gift card for each year's service I purchased, I never received the 3 gift cards. I inquired numerous times but never got a follow up. I did place a service call, however, and they did have a service technician repair the problem during my first year. Now, I need service again. I called on Monday, June 15, 2017 but the phone just rang and rang. Then, I called again this morning (6/18/09) and the number is out of service. I googled the company and just read that the business was shut down in April 2017 by the Office of the Attorney General of NY for running a fraudulent home warranty business. See http://www.oag.state.ny.us/media_center/2017/apr/apr27a_09.html for more information. If you have an active warranty with NHP, contact the OAG and file a claim in case a class action suit or some other opportunity exists to get your money back.

• Bi
                Biswarup Apr 22, 2009

They also do not have any office in Iselin contrary to what they claim in their website.

• Bi
                Biswarup Apr 07, 2009

I bought a year's service from this warranty company (NHP) on Feb 2017. I had a clogging and sewage backup problem last week (March 30th 2017. They say that they are 24 hours available, but I did not get them on the phone until March 31st 9 AM. I was on hold for 15 minutes after which the representative gave number of the plumbers. When I called the plumber, he said he won't be able to do the work. I went back to the warranty company and requested another plumber who said he doesn't work in the area. When I got another plumber, he said that he won't be able to make it until the next day. I could not wait any longer and asked them whether I can ask service professionals (SP) (a plumbing agency) to do the work and they gave an ok with a condition that before SP begins the work, the SP plumber should call NHP. SP came and called NHP and they gave an OK to most of the work they did. However, after that, every time I am trying to call NHP to know the status of the claim, I am put on hold for 15 minutes and then the call ends. One lucky time my wife could get hold of a representative and she said that the claim is denied as the toilet was removed. When asked what about the other work that was done, she said they will be looked into and hung up. Ever since then I cannot get hold of any representative and it has been one week now. I want NHP to stop making false promises and give my money back. Any suggestions on how to deal with them would be appreciated.

• Br
                brian papesh Oct 31, 2008

This company lies to get you signed up about a free $50 home depot card, and when you have an issue you will be put on hold for long periods and sometimes disconnected. For this reason I tried to cancel on oct 2nd 2017 and was assured it would cancel and the monthly auto draft would not take place on oct-17 2017, but did anyway and upon contacting someone on oct-20 they said it was in fact cancelled on oct-2 and the auto draft would be refunded in 2-3 days. Well, never happened and when I called back they said they owe no refund because it was cancelled on oct-20. I have been calling everyday since to get this corrected and have been hung up on, sent to supervisor voice mails and never get a response. I am very frustrated and can't imagine what would have happened if I had a claim. This is the worst customer service I have ever witnessed.

Home WarrantyNO RESPONSED FOR SERVICES

I purchase a Home Warranty Contract on 10/06/09 for 1 year. Place my first claim for service to my Air Condition on 6/16/10 by phone [protected] no reponses then [protected], no reponses and by email time two no responses. Air condition need to be service not work ing third claim on 7/22/10 can't reach them by web site. Given email address [protected]@nationwidehomewarranty.com. Phone #[protected]

Home WarrantyUnresponsive and Fradualent ACT

BEWARE - This company is a SCAM! Take note of ALL the people that have complianed about this company. They have VERY LONG WAIT TIMES, AND THEIR POLICY IS TO DENY ALL CLAIMS Initially. Than they MAY say we will cover 50% after making you jump through hoops of getting all types of information. Also, they may only cover 50% if you really FIGHT for it and threaten them with informing BBB, Insurance Commisioner and ATTORNEY.

Also, THEY ARE NOT AUTHORIZED OR LICENSED to do business in California, and they still have been selling insurance in CA. CA residents see this site
                and file a compliant with the CA insurance commissioner. They have already opened a case and have filed CRIMINAL charges against nationwide Home Warranty.

Everybody in ALL other states, beware and do your homework, THIS company is a SCAM and with CA filing criminal charges, other states will follow and soon you will see this company shut its doors and YOUR MONEY will be lost.

Home WarrantyWater Heater Scam

September 2008 I purchased a home warranty from Choice home warranty and I had a package that allowed me and many home owners purchase and payoff in 3months for a year contract which was paid off Deember 18th, 2008.
                  The contract was supposed to be mailed to my home and they said they could not email their contract which I know would have sent a Red flagged if I was able to view before purchasing.
                  Till this day I have not viewed my contract which I regret buying before reading their contract.
                  The week of December 22nd my husband made a call in for service due to our water heater bursting which had inpacted a water fllod in our basement.
                  They sent a service contractor in day after and he indicated to them that we had a rust in our home wareanty which was due to the age of the water heater and knows we needed a new one.
                  They company told him and my husband they could not cover because the contract states they do not cover a Rust.
                  When I spoke to the manager on December 23-24th, they told me to read my contract that they do not cover rust that a rust indicate a non mentained water heater.
                  I called the contractor and spoke to the contractor who was surprsie at the action of the home warranty, he said he tried to explain to them that we had no actions that prevented the rust that the water heater was placed 1971 and that it is a common thing he had seen.
                  He said when he tried to explain to Hoem Warranty they told him it was between them and the customer.
                  Till this day they would not fix my water heater and have taken our money.
                  My husband then concluded we were at a loss to exit the contract even though we had paid for the service because he could not deal with a Scam.
                  Please do not buy from this company and check out their contract before purchasing, it is a lesson learned and will not happen again!

2 Responses
                      Disappointed Consumer in DC Jun 18, 2009

I'm glad you wrote your comment. I just ran quotes from Choice Home Warranty today because I found out today that the home warranty contract I had with National Home Protection is dead. I was considering Choice to purchase another home warranty plan. I will check to see if someone has started a user group against NHP like you did against Choice because I paid $1, 049.73 for three years of coverage, beginning 3/15/08. I still had 2 years of coverage to go. I will file a claim with NY's Attorney General in case there is a class action suit. Thank you for writing your complaint and good luck.

• Jj
                      JJJConsumer Mar 10, 2009

I have created a user group Choice Home Warranty Claims, please come and join if you have experienced difficulties with this company. I am also looking for co-plaintiffs in a lawsuit.

Home Warranty — ChoiceHomeWarranty.com is a SCAM !!!!!!

I started the contract with Choice Home Warranty (choicehomewarranty.com ) on 10/27/2008 covering HVAC and...

Home WarrantyHome Warranty Fraud

A week ago my furnace started making loud noises and I called my home warranty company National Home Protection (NHP) to have someone come out and fix the noise. NHP sent out a Furance Technician who looked at the issue and decided that the bearings were going bad within the Furnace motor/blower and the motor/blower had to be replaced. The technician called NHP and after discussing the issue with NHP came in and said that they would need maintenance records for the furnace before approving the repairs.

I just bought the house 2 months before and have had no maintenance on the house utilities; so, as a substitute they said I should send in the Home Inspection documents to include everything regarding the furnace and the page before and after. I faxed in the documents, called to ensure they recieved them and was told I would hear back in 24-48 hours. After 1 week I called them to find out the status as they did not call me as promised, only to find out that they had denied the claim because 1) there was not proper maintenance records and 2) the furance was not inoperable, they only repair things which are inoperable and not things which are broken, but yet working in a reduced capacity.

This is my second claim with NHP the first took 1 month to fix a water heater which the thermostat was broken after going through about 4 contractors.

This company has terrible service and makes it a practice to make repairs difficult or impossible to discourage payouts. Fortunately spring is here and I don't have to worry about my family freezing from the furnace issues, but will now have to pay $500 out of my own pocket to get the repairs - not to mention the $45 I had to pay for the initial contractor to review the issue.

Please stay away from this company and find a Home Warranty company which is more reputable.

Home WarrantyTheir secrets

Common Policies and Practices Used Against Consumers:

With the exception of Advantage Home Warranty, the inner workings and structure of the home warranty industry is stacked against the policy holder.

With loopholes large enough to drive a Mac truck through, they need NEVER pay out any claim...and you the policy holder can do little about it.

This article describes how the home warranty industry builds convenient loopholes into the system to avoid paying claims and how it should work.

TARNISHED REPUTATION

A lot of Realtors offer home warranties to their clients, But many may not know that the credibility of the home warranty industry is tarnished in the eye of the public. And for GOOD REASON. The whole business model is intentionally flawed in their favour. But first, a little background...for full article go to: