Menu

reviews & complaints

Family Dollar Complaints Summary

85 Resolved
2201 Unresolved
Our verdict: If considering services from Family Dollar with a critical resolution rate, extra caution is advised. Examine detailed customer feedback to understand the severity and nature of unresolved issues. Be prepared for the possibility of unsatisfactory responses and have contingency plans, including seeking assistance from consumer advocacy groups if necessary.
File a complaint
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Family Dollar has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Family Dollar. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews

Family Dollar complaints 2286

Sort by:

Newest Family Dollar reviews & complaints

10:30 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased the speaker on 2/14 at the Family Dollar on Division st. Parkersburg wv 26101. I am a faithful family dollar shopper but after tonight i think i'm going to have to take my business somewhere else if the situation isn't taken care of. I tried the speaker out its very distorted and not very loud to be a tower speaker. This was a gift to my son for...

1:40 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been shopping at the Family Dollar for years and didn't like the way this Store Clerk disrespected me! There was an accident sneeze because of my allergies. She handled this incident that I had rabies! I covered my face and was socially distanced from her! The product I bought was coved in plastic so there was no reason to make this a big issue! It...

3:11 pm EST

Family Dollar Amazon gift card

I bought a Amazon gift card, at the Gadsden Alabama store April 5,2023. When I get home there was no money on it. It said it had never been activate. I called the store and was told I had to bring it back, with some time, and they would see about it. I had eye surgery, and went blind in one eye for several months. Then has shoulder surgery and could not drive.

4-5-23

10:25:[protected]

Claimed loss: $50:00

Desired outcome: I would like a refund on my debit card

Confidential Information Hidden: This section contains confidential information visible to verified Family Dollar representatives only. If you are affiliated with Family Dollar, please claim your business to access these details.

Feb 09, 2024 8:22 pm EST

They don't do refunds on these cards. It sounds like the associates are probably willing to help by seeing if the problem is as simply as you putting in a wrong number or missing a letter but that's all they can do. If it truly is an issue with the card itself you have to go through the card company.

Is Family Dollar legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals Family Dollar as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 3% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, Family Dollar stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering Family Dollar should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

Family Dollar earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Family Dollar achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

We found clear and detailed contact information for Family Dollar. The company provides a physical address, phone number, and 2 emails, as well as 3 social media accounts. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.

The age of Family Dollar's domain suggests that they have had sufficient time to establish a reputation as a reliable source of information and services. This can provide reassurance to potential customers seeking quality products or services.

Familydollar.com has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows Family Dollar website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

Familydollar.com has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Family Dollar as a website that uses an external review system. While this can provide valuable feedback and insights, it's important to carefully evaluate the source of the reviews and take them with a grain of salt.

We looked up Family Dollar and found that the website is receiving a high amount of traffic. This could be a sign of a popular and trustworthy website, but it is still important to exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of the site before sharing any personal or financial information

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While Family Dollar has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 3% of 2286 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
  • Family Dollar protects their ownership data, a common and legal practice. However, from our perspective, this lack of transparency can impede trust and accountability, which are essential for establishing a credible and respected business entity.
  • We conducted a search on social media and found several negative reviews related to Family Dollar. These reviews may indicate issues with the company's products, services, or customer support. It is important to thoroughly research the company and its offerings before making any purchases to avoid any potential risks.
11:54 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

This morning around 9:06 am, I purchased 12 items worth $12.65 today. One of those items being a 3 pack of crest toothpaste. The toothpaste rang up at $6.25 but the price on the shelf was $5. I told the clerk and we both went back to see where I got the toothpaste to check the price. I told him if it was in the wrong place I would not worry about the $1.25...

B
2:38 pm EST

Family Dollar Overcharge on a product

I bought a 2 L Sunkiss orange the price was $1.75 when I got you the cash register the price was $2.25 from the cashier which was the manager about the price of the Sunkiss and ask them to go and look at the price they sell, but I was informed that they were not going back there to look at the price because they weren’t going to change. It is 4901 West Belvidere. Baltimore, MD 31315.

Jan 31, 2024 7:49 am EST

Sunkist is a vendor managed product not scan based trade so Family Dollar is not responsible for price discrepancies on items they don't manage even if they are the seller.

A
7:48 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Subject: Unpleasant Experience at Family Dollar on Agnes, Corpus Christi, Texas [Family Dollar Customer Service],. I am writing to express my deep disappointment with the service I received at your store located on Agnes in Corpus Christi, Texas, on January 29, 2024, between 11:30 am and 12:00 pm. My experience can only be described as a retail nightmare...

3:50 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I go into Family Dollars to get contractors trash bags the heavy ones, 3 juices, 2 pops, heating pads and a whole bunch of stuff... I cant carry that in my hand, they have 2 carts full of cereal and comforters. They don't have carts as it is and why would they use two carts for crap.. When a paying customer, who comes there everyday need a cart... So I used...

C
12:31 pm EST

Family Dollar Store

I live in Concho, Arizona where we have a Family Dollar store that the community depends on as their main grocery store. The refrigerator cases have not been operational for several months now and a good amount of the community depends on them for frozen foods, milk, butter, cheese, etc. This is a very poor community and to not have access to milk, etc. for the children is deplorable. For some families this is there only way to get food for their family. Is there a reason why the refrigerator cases are not being repaired.

Claimed loss: minimum 4 months no cold foods

Desired outcome: Fix the refrigerator cases to provide the needed cold foods.

Jan 18, 2024 12:18 pm EST

Being a poor community probably also means no local repair technicians. This is the kind of obstacles you have to live with when you live in a poor remote area. Your store is probably on a list to get repair but since the closest Technicians is probably in Phoenix where they already have much more lucrative work available they aren't going to travel all the way out to Concho even if they were offered a massive bonus.

G
10:15 am EST

Family Dollar Store not stocked empty shelves everywhere

Hi my name is glenda padgett. I live in freeport fl. I have been frequenting the family dollar dollar tree here in freeport just to look and see what is going on. Nothing on the shelves. Empty shelves Christmas is still out. It’s a shame there is not enough people there to take care of stocking shelves. It is a shame. If you are not going to take care of your store by all means why did you even come here. It looks like you are failing your employees along with your customers.

Thanks for your time do better please shame on you.

Desired outcome: Hire employees to help get things on the shelves.

11:04 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Greetings I'm a regular customer of your store (3850 Flat Shoals Pkwy, Decatur, GA 30034) for over 19 years. I had the worst experience. It was 9:35 am Jan 11, 2024. The male employee at the front yelled at me. He stated, "hey dog, you only have 5 minutes. Do you hear me?" This is NOT the way you talk to a 56 year old customer. There were about 7 people in...

12:11 pm EST

Family Dollar No cigarette sales

Was getting ready to go to cashier , heard cashier pull down cover over cigarettes display They used to lock in between sales but it's been unlocked for months now Was 8:05 Pm I asked for a pack of Eagle 100's and cashier told me cigarette sales are closed I said nothing left few items on counter and walked out Sitting in my truck in parking lot ready to leave Same cashier walks out and smoking a cigarette . Feel like she was to lazy to open display and just wanted to smoke

Desired outcome: Post on door of cigarette sales are closed I've never in the years shopped there couldn't buy cigarettes at any time when open

Update by Troy Durbin
Jan 10, 2024 9:03 pm EST

Another thing i would purchase more But you can't take a cart out the door Poles affixed to carts Losing slot of sales due to i won't try n carry bunches of bags As other customers iam sure Staff is short and they can't leave store to help people carry bags

Update by Troy Durbin
Jan 10, 2024 9:00 pm EST

Common courtesy would be to explain why Cigarette sales are closed I've shopped at this location for years and bought cigarettes past 9 pm This store open till 10 pm She wasn't only sales associate in store she only handles front register

Jan 10, 2024 8:42 pm EST

I think I know why they shut down cigarette sales before closing but isn't my interpretation of company procedure. Each night before closing store employees are required to audit cigarettes and log how many are remaining and report results. I usually don't start my audit till 30 minutes before closing and adjust counts if any sales occur and don't complete the report till closing. I probably am actually supposed to shut down cigarette sells when I begin my audit but I'm really good at maths and it's easy for me to adjust.

C
10:40 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

A manager by the name of EVELYN refused my brothers reciepted return Jan 3 10:12 pm as the store closes at ten we went in at 951 to grab groceries and to return about 6 of the 13 items I purchased for him that he didn't need for. I purchased these items on the first of January and they were unopened unless he tried one or two items which I believe you're...

View 0 more photos
3:13 pm EST

Family Dollar Fan above front door of store in Warrior Alabama January 3, 2024

Most companies are in business to draw customers into their stores, not run customers away. I do not see the need for this strong blowing fan at the front of your store in Warrior, Alabama, As you open the doo it almost blows you back out the door. I spend quality time fixing my hair. I do not want my hair blow off my head when I enter a store. I asked if there had been complaints about this fan...they said a lot of people have been complaining. I just drove out of my way 25 miles to the Family Dollar/Dollar Tree in Hayden, they have no blasting fan above their front door. People told me they do not go to the Warrior Family Dollar/Dollar Tree because of this major issue. Removing the fan or unplugging the fan is such a simple fix, but that's your call, maybe you don't really want the business.

Desired outcome: Remove or unplug fan above front door of Warrio , Alabama Family Dollar/Dollar Tree

N
5:11 pm EST

Family Dollar Daylight light bulb

I purchased a four pack of daylight led light bulbs and other items, but I was overcharged $6.00 on the light bulbs my total charge on the light bulbs were $12.00 however when I went back to reprice that same item it was scanned at $5.25 when I confronted her about the error all she did is smile with no explanation. So, to cover herself she had a male employee to change the price even though it was scanned at $5.25. So, I took a loss. The store is located at 3631 sullivant ave columbus ohio. Purchased on dec 30th 2023, the store number is 02007, the receipt number [protected]

Claimed loss: $6.00

Desired outcome: woul like the money that was over charged to me to be returned.

Jan 02, 2024 2:02 pm EST

You probably picked up a different wattage.

D
8:54 pm EST

Family Dollar Employee attitude

I had asked an associate to look up the price of a pack of paper plates ( no price on them). She looked at me like I had asked her to run a marathon. She never said a word. I thanked her. She never replied ! I finally said , " Look, I'm going up front to check out anyway. Do u want me to just ask the associate up front?" She handed them back and said, " Yeah".

This is not the first time people have dealt with this manager. Yes , she's a manager.

Dunn NC

Claimed loss: Respect

Desired outcome: Find a new , polite manager

11:23 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Please fire or transfer Andrew Haney from the DuBois, PA store. He has messaged me physically threatening me and thinks he can ban me from the store over a personal matter I have with the Manager which whom he is goes out with. He was going to call the police last night when I was shopping in there, but the manager stopped him. The manager and I don't speak to each other anymore.

View 0 more photos
Read full review of Family Dollar and 7 comments
10:54 am EST

Family Dollar store employees

my name is rita rheinstadter my family dollar is located in folcroft pa 19032 i was there made my purchase later that evening i realized i was missing a bag so i called the store phone rang and ran no answer made several calls sometime someone pking up phone and hanging up very annoyed will not go to that store again employees very miserable u say hi noone responds disgusting

Desired outcome: investigate store

K
1:47 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

A several months ago I purchased a box of cereal (Post honey Oh's) at The Family Dollar store located at 517 Jefferson Davis highway in Fredericksburg, Va. Upon opening the box I noticed an odd, strong almost perfume like smell. To me, it smelled a bit like fabric softener or maybe an air freshener. Not something that should be in cereal. At least a week...

1:25 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On Tuesday, 12/12/23 @ 10:12 AM I was shopping at the Local Family Dollar, Store # 05370 Located at 296 E 82nd St, Newaygo, MI 49337. While there I chose an Item, Weather Station Alarm Clock by RCA. When I got to the register the clerk informed me that a customer had recently returned this same item due to not having directions. The package was opened in...

8:13 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I bought a cell phone from family Dollar would be help of an associate it was led for me to believe that it was a Verizon phone which was easy to believe because it said Verizon or total by Verizon on the box so I believe the associate and I bought the phone. But when I got home and tried to activate the phone and put my old SIM card in it it was not a...

Read full review of Family Dollar and 4 comments
How to file a complaint about Family Dollar?

1. Log in or create an account: Ensure you are logged in to your ComplaintsBoard.com account to proceed. If you do not have an account, please register by providing the necessary details to create one.

2. Navigating to the complaint form: Once logged in, locate the 'File a Complaint' button situated at the top right corner of the website and click on it to access the complaint form.

3. Writing the title: In the 'Complaint Title' field, provide a concise summary of your main issue with Family Dollar. This title should be clear and to the point, giving a snapshot of the problem.

4. Detailing the experience: In the complaint details section, describe your experience thoroughly. Mention key areas such as product issues, customer service interactions, store cleanliness, pricing discrepancies, or any other relevant concerns. Include specifics such as dates, locations, and names if possible. If you've had a transaction with the company, detail the transaction, including any receipts or transaction numbers. Clearly explain the nature of the issue, the steps you took to resolve it, and how the company responded. It's important to articulate the personal impact the issue has had on you, whether it be frustration, financial loss, or time wasted.

5. Attaching supporting documents: Attach any relevant documents or images that support your complaint. This could include receipts, emails, photos, or other evidence. Be cautious not to include sensitive personal information that could compromise your privacy.

6. Filing optional fields: Use the 'Claimed Loss' field to indicate any financial loss you may have incurred as a result of the issue with Family Dollar. In the 'Desired Outcome' field, specify what you would consider a satisfactory resolution to your complaint.

7. Review before submission: Before submitting your complaint, review it carefully to ensure that it is clear, accurate, and complete. Check for spelling and grammar errors, and make sure all relevant details have been included.

8. Submission process: After reviewing your complaint, click the 'Submit' button to file your complaint with ComplaintsBoard.com.

9. Post-Submission Actions: After submitting your complaint, keep an eye on your ComplaintsBoard.com account for any responses or updates. Regularly check your account to stay informed about the progress of your complaint.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Family Dollar contacts