CVS Pharmacy / judgmental pharmacist

1 Emerald Isle, NC, United States Review updated:

Last night a CVS tech took my order, and it wasn't filled today when my husband went to pick it up. Upon speaking to the pharmacist, I was told 'with the current state of the economy, it's hard to get good help"--as if that had any bearing on the problem--sounded like an excuse pulled out of mid air, upon first glance.

In any case, I thought all was well until I picked up the script, and discovered it was one inhaler short. Mind you, this is the same med (same amounts) I've been receiving since 2005 with no problem. I called the pharmacist immediately, only to discover he'd file the insurance with an incorrect carrier, which would seem to solve the entire problem, right??? But NOOOOO...I was then treated to a condescending, judgmental diatribe about 3 party payer problems, medicaid fraud, the incorrect writing of the script, and my lack of understanding of what was being said.

Just FYI, I am a 59 year old college graduate English major--which I promptly shared with the pharmacist, quickly pointing out he no knowledge of my particular situation, nor how I came to be in such dire straits. I stated I suspected this was probably the case with other customers, and informed him I'd phone my doctor first thing tomorrow morning to pass along the info from the CVS pharmacist that he'd written the script incorrectly, and asking him to please correct it.

This shallow, insulting person began to back peddle, and informed me it wasn't really a problem---after all, he was going to 'go ahead and give' me the second inhaler (mind you, HE was going to give me the 2nd one which has ALWAYS been a part of my prescription). I was so flabbergasted at his kindness ( to actually care enough to GIVE me the med) that I just said I'd still be contacting the doctor, and would pick up the script in the morning.

I am totally amazed at this entire encounter, and have phoned a neighboring pharmacy to transfer my prescriptions. The last thing I need is to have a pharmacy add to my illness.

Hu

Comments

• Ge
      10th of Dec, 2010

"Just FYI, I am a 59 year old college graduate English major--which I promptly shared with the pharmacist, quickly pointing out he no knowledge of my particular situation, nor how I came to be in such dire straits."

Yeah, that will fix your problem...

• Hu
      22nd of Dec, 2010

gesserfan,
    The only reason I included this info was to point out to said pharmacist that, like him, I also had a college education--not to separate myself from any other customers. I was only making the point that he needn't be so condescending, as I considered myself and all other customers of his an equal, neither below, nor above, but directly equal. He obviously did not, up until the time I made him aware.

In any case, the area supervisor phoned me a few days later, and got all the facts. She will phone back after she has personally handled the matter with this pharmacist, saying no customer should be treated that way. She was emphatic that CVS had strict policies preventing customer's from being 'mistreated' in any way.

We'll see what the outcome is.
    V