Walmart / Fram Oil Filterinstalled defective oil filter

Walmart installed an oil filter that had been dropped or had a manufacturing defect, most likely dropped. I drove the car 15 miles and all the oil was pumped out. Engine seized. Walmart personnel removed the filter from where it had been towed and replaced it with another of the same type and there was no leak. I examined the oil filter and saw the damage. Walmart wanted to send the oil filter to a 'lab, ' and I allowed. Walmart kept my oil filter for 24 days, and then returned it with instructions on how to send it to Fram for testing.

Walmart denied any liability because they did not manufactured the part. Fram only allows 30 days for return for testing of a defective product, so by the time I got the oil filter back, I only had 2 days to return the filter. I wanted to talk to a lawyer. Now in discussions with Fram, though I really do not think they are liable. The oil filter was obviously defective, but was installed anyway.

• Id
    idaho gall Jun 10, 2013

had same issue in ID with Walmart. Took to small claims court for cost of new engine. won hands down. Judge said walmart could go after Fram but they had to pay us for the repairs to our car. Have heard this same issue all over. Take to court for repairs and keep filter, make sure you bring in a 3rd party mechanic that will testify on your behalf.