Sears - Westerville, OH / rebate check scam, customer relations service is very poor!

1 United States

We had been shopping for a new washer and dryer for quite some time. We decided that we liked the Kenmore High Efficiency washers, but were waiting for a good time to buy. When we went to the store on June 10, we were told about a rebate program happening in the store that day. Consumers would receive a gift card for 10% of the amount of all purchases on June 9 & 10. And there was a 0% financing deal on top of that. So we bought the washer, dryer and pedestals. The salesman printed out our receipt and an additional copy of the receipt which he instructed us to use for the rebate. So I mailed in the rebate using the receipt he gave us prior to the June 30 mailing deadline. Then we received a letter July 19 stating that the sales check on our receipt was scanned and found to be invalid for the rebate. So I called the rebate center (spoke to Nicole) and was told the receipt was not a valid receipt and that I should call the store to find out what's wrong. So I called the store and was told to call Customer Relations. I spoke with Kirsten who saw that the receipt the salesman printed out didn't have the sale date on it. I asked if I should resubmit with a copy of our original receipt and was told no. She was going to resubmit it for me and that I should have a gift card within 2-3 weeks.

Weeks went by with no card. So I called again October 26 @ 5:30 pm and spoke with Brittney. She told me that she would send an escalation and gave me the number for gift card services to that I could check the status on the card, but to wait a week or two.

Again weeks went by with no card. So I called the Gift Card Services and spoke with Emanuel. He told me that he could not help me without a gift card number and that I had to call Customer Relations again. So I called Customer Relations again and spoke to Willie and Alex on December 10. They indicated that they would pass the matter on to a manager and I could receive a call back within the week.

The next day, I was home from work sick and asleep when a manager called. I didn't get his name (think it was George) and was told that the problem was that they had my address incorrect and he had since fixed it and I'd get a card in the mail within the next 2 weeks. I asked him to verify the address that it was being sent to and he indicated an address that we hadn't lived at for 2 years. When I told him the address was wrong, he, very huffily, said "Well are you getting your mail forwarded." I told him we hadn't lived there in 2 years so NO, it wasn't being forwarded any longer. He confirmed my new address and said he'd have to fix it again and hung up on me.

The holidays went by and I called again on January 16, 2007. I spoke with Amy D. at Customer Relations and was told that the department that could help me was in Texas and because of the bad weather was not open. She said that someone would call me back in a few days. No call.

So I called back this morning, January 29, 2007 and spoke with Shavonne. She escalated my call to someone named Renee, who was sympathetic to my plight, but I'm not sure she will be very helpful. She is going to resubmit the rebate claim, but now that it's been 7 months, she can't find the program in her system to resubmit it. And she can't find any information that shows I spoke with the people above. I am waiting on her to call me back today. Don't worry. I'm not holding my breath.

Since this whole ordeal started I have made only one purchase from Sears (Lands End snow boots). Should this matter not be resolved before my 1 year no interest promotion is up, I will be cancelling my Sears card and will no longer be shopping at their stores. Which is sad, because I've loved my Kenmore appliances that we filled our last house with (the one where the December gift card is probably sitting). Needless to say that I've already warned everyone I know to not purchase anything from Sears that involves a rebate of any kind. Should this ever be resolved I will update my complaint.

Sears - Polaris Fashion Place Store, Westerville, OH