[Resolved] Sears - KenmoreLight Stays On - Unsafe

B Review updated:

Lights inside the refrigerator (Kenmore Elite Trio) stay on causing light cover to melt, fire hazard. Have had no luck with Sears fixing this problem (unless I pay for it).

• Resolution Statement

• Ro
    robert Oct 31, 2008

I have the same problem. I've noticed the light cover falling off from time to time. Now the food on the top shelf is hot, making me realize the light stays on. This is under warranty. I may try to see if I can find LED lights so they don't get hot, or go without lights. Kenmore ELITE, eh?

• Ti
    Tim Dec 02, 2008

I have the same problem. Replaced both bulbs with CFLs which come on annoyingly slow especially in the cold, but it's better than a fire. It doesn't seem to be the switches they are simple open / close and seem to be working. The door open alarm does NOT sound but the light stays on. This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

• Ed
    EdFTA Jun 09, 2009

Don't do any fixes yourselve. Today, June 9th, 2009, Sears fixed my two and a half year old refrigerator (out of warranty without service contract) with no cost to me. Just be patient and escalate your claim to Sears Corporate. They will going to fix your refrigerator because this is a fire waiting to happen. As a matter of fact I notified them that I submitted a claim with the Consumer Product Safety Commision. I think this would help to escalate your claim with Sears.

Changing the bulbs is not a fix, since you must replace the main board to fix the problem. This board controls the lights. Since the board is damaged your bulbs will stay on forever.

Ed.

• Rk
    RK-CH Nov 30, 2009

I have the same problem. The lights stayed on and melted the all the parts that surround the bulbs and ruined the top 2 shelves and doors full of food - and this was only overnight! I will escalate to Sears as this is dangerous as pointed out by other posts. We were likely we were home.

Randy

• Be
    Becky wilson Jun 19, 2010

Same thing happened to me today! 3 lbs. of butter melted everywhere! The control panel melted off and is laying on the shelf . I had to take the bulbs out! Fire hazard waiting to happen! I am calling kenmore and sears tomorrow morning. If this is not fixed free of charge I am calling consumer product safety conmmission.

John Herrick Jul 03, 2010

Same thing happened to my refrigerator - the bulbs stayed on, overheated everything on the top shelf, and then the light fixture melted and dropped down. I spent two hours on the phone with Sears, even though one (nameless) technician admitted there is a problem, they will not fix my 2 year old unit - unless I pay the full repiar of course. This is a HUGE fire issue, I'll never buy a Sears product again!

• Ms
    Ms.Becky Aug 05, 2010

Same thing, except mine is interrmittent. Sometimes on, sometimes off when I open the door, but the bulbs are burning hot.
    I can see the fixture that holds them has melted some. Glad I found this site. I will call Sears.

• Si
    Siddalee Jan 07, 2011

I have the same problem this week with my Kenmore refrigerator. The light is on intermittently but is on long enough to melt butter and spoil food and smell up the kitchen with a hot plastic odor. Of course, the warranty is only for one year unless you purchase the extended warranty which I did not do. Sears will send a technician next week but I have no idea what this will cost to have repaired. I am planning on filing a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission as I am quite concerned about a possible fire, which many others have experienced. This appears to be a defect in the refrigerator - LG manufactured this frig and many of their customers also have the same problem.

• Si
    Siddalee Jan 07, 2011

Addendum to my above post:
    I need to remove the light bulbs to avoid a fire or melting my refrigerator. How did I remove the plastic light cover without breaking it? My model is 795-77304600.

• To
    TO1958 Feb 23, 2011

After checking the various internet sites, I was able to get the SEARS safety reall department. This particular fridge has a faulty motherboard and the light stays on when doors are closed - causing a fire hazard. SEARS DID FIX IT FOR FREE!!! I bought mine in 2006 and warrantly ran out BUT it is under recall!!! Phone number for Sears Safety recall (product resolution center)is 800-659-7026. Good luck!! call them, they will fix it for this model!!

• St
    statsmeyer Apr 28, 2011

Thanks for the heads-up. I seem to have a similar problem! Will take out the bulbs and call Sears.

• SearsCare Apr 28, 2011

Dear statsmeyer,

I saw your post here and wanted to reach out and apologize for the trouble you have had with your refrigerator. I see from your post that you stated you would be calling Sears and if you still need assistance we would like to help.
    My name is Laura with the Sears Cares Escalations team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. Please contact my office via email at [email protected] so that we may address the refrigerator issue in a timely manner. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the snow thrower was serviced under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (statsmeyer) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

If any other viewers of this thread need assistance with this or any other Sears’ related issue we want to hear from you as well. Please do email us at [email protected] with your contact information and a brief description of the situation and we will be glad to assist you.

Laura D.

• Li
    Lili laf Aug 25, 2011

We have had the same issue. The lights stayed on, melted the top of the inside of the refrigerator and the light cover fell off. The metal thing that holds the lights is drooping down now and we can't put anything on our top shelf!

• Kl
    Klarsen Sep 03, 2011

We just had the same issue. The roof of the refrigerator melted as did the light cover. The light sockets are black indicating a fire hazard. Now it will not go under 50 degrees . We will be losing all of our food in there. I tried reaching customer service and they put me on hold for 30 minutes. I will be trying the recall number. We were lucky we were not out of town!

• Dd
    DDIX Sep 12, 2011

After a very frustrating call with Sears Customer Service - which attmepted to sell me an extended warantee - I tried the Recall Center with great results. Thank you for the posting

• Pu
    puzzlers Sep 14, 2012

Same thing just happened to me. I remember getting a notice from a class action lawsuit that this was a defect that LG and Sears had agreed to fix at no charge to their customers (as part of the setttlement) but I never responded because I never noticed the problem and figured that my refrigerator was not affected by it. Yesterday I opened my refrigerator and found that the light cover had melted and my food had spoiled from the light staying on. When I called the service department at Sears (9/14/2012), they told me that they could fix the problem but that I would have to pay for it. When I told the representative that the Kenmore website indicated that this problem would be covered under an extended warranty (for the light issue) and that I was holding a copy of the class action settlement also indicating that it would be repaired under warranty, they transferred my call to a "supervisor" who agreed to set up an appointment to have the issue fixed at no cost to me. Sears should be ashamed that they are trying to make loyal customers pay for a known problem that they have already agreed to fix (in court) at no cost to the customers. Bravo Sears, Bravo.

• Je
    Jef Stehman Oct 08, 2018

@puzzlers Apparently the issue still continues to this day. I made an appointment to have the bulb fixture and mother board replaced, through Sears Home Services. Just getting the appointment is a whole other story, but they did come and then they charged me $212 for labor, even after I explained it was covered under the manufacturer warranty. Now I have been transferred 5 times and disconnected once, trying to get this resolved. HATE #SEARS

Mario 1947 Oct 15, 2012

Thanks to statsmeyer above for the phone number to get this recall fixed. Part is on back order and I imagine it will take at least two months to fix this problem...you would think Sears would be at my doorstep the next day to fix this life-threatening defect. I'm sure when they do come, they won't have the necessary parts to fix this...it's always something with Sears.
    Mario

• 10
    10309 Oct 20, 2012

Yes, same thing here. Good thing it was caught before a fire started. I filed a complaint @ Saferproducts.gov - everyone having this problem should file a complaint. Since Sears has the ability to identify all purchasers via their databases it is truly negligent on their part that a recall/service notice was not sent out. All customer service and repair units for Sears should get a pop-up/warning when the particular model numbers are plugged in and not make the consumer jump through hoops to get this fixed. I want a new fridge or at least a decent monetary credit to purchase a new one - do I want to keep this one? Well, not really. I have not contacted Sears yet but will.

• SearsCare Oct 25, 2012

Good afternoon 10309,

I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. My name is Mike and I am a member of the Sears Social Media Support team. I am sorry to see that your refrigerator is not working properly at this time. We realize how important it is for this matter to be resolved as quickly as possible, as your refrigerator stores your food, drinks, and medicines. We would like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and see what options may be available to you concerning your refrigerator. At your convenience, please send us an e-mail containing your preferred contact information, including the phone number that your refrigerator was purchased under, to [email protected] Also, please include your Facebook screen name, (10309), for reference to your issue. Thank you for your time and we hope to speak with you soon.

Mike D.

• Fo
    foley4289 Dec 27, 2012

I got up last night and smelled something when I opened my Kenmore Elite frig for something to drink. This morning noticed the same smell and at closer inspection realized the light was hot and the first two shelves were warm.In fact it was so hot I was afraid it was going to catch fire so I called my husband and he came home and we unplugged our frig. I called Sears repair with the same results as everyone else... they said they'd send someone but it'd cost me and tried to sell me an extended warranty. I checked online and found this thread. I'm appalled at Sears and I have purchased several appliances from Sears. I want this fixed at no charge and outraged they knew about this and did not send notice to anyone. If I had been gone my house could have caught fire! I will be contacting the consumer products safety. thank you for all your posts.

• SearsCare Jan 02, 2013

foley4289,
    I saw your comment here and I wanted to reach out and apologize on behalf of Sears for the difficulties that have occurred with your refrigerator. We pride ourselves on making sure our valued customers are satisfied with our products and services and it appears we have not met that goal here. From your post I can see that this has been a source of great frustration for you and we would like to assist. My name is Liz and I am with the Sears Social Media Support team and we are a single point of contact for escalated concerns. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at [email protected] so you don’t have to continue to be frustrated by this. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the refrigerator is listed under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (foley4289) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.
    Social Media Support

• Su
    sundance2020 Mar 11, 2013

Dear Liz R., I just got off the telephone with your service center (Monday, 8:30 pm, ET, Rep. Bonnie, #1909). For more than 2 months we have been unable to figure out why the refriferator was smelling, the food on the top shelf spoiling, and the cover under the two light bulbs at the top of our Kenmore Elite refrigerator was becoming discolored. Finally, tonight, I used a table knife to separate the door seals. I learned that the lights were staying on constantly! This is unbelievable. We've owned Sears products for decades and never encountered a problem like this. Of course, I'm concerned about a fire hazard, and so, Bonnie assured me she would have someone come to the house soonest (we arranged for a service technician to come Thursday afternoon 3/14). However, she said there would be a $75 service call charge plus parts and labor if the technician determined this was not a manufacturer's defect. (Our refrigerator is out of warranty.) Judging from the many comments above, I can hardly believe it is anything BUT the result of a flawed design and/or misdesigned or poorly speced component. In any event, I am sending you all of the particulars in an e-mail as soon as I finish posting this message. I trust we can depend on Sears to do the right thing by us. Thank you. Dr. C

• Ms
    Ms.Becky Apr 08, 2013

Fellow shoppers stuck with this lemon product: I had Sears replace the motherboard a total of 5 times. The problem just repeats itself. On the last visit, they again replaced the motherboard and the melted light fixture (5 times, now) and I've never paid for any of these repairs. As soon as the technician left, I got a message "Er CO" on the water dispenser display panel. Again, 2 technicians returned, spent 2 hours trying to fix it, and I was told - "Call Sears, it can't be fixed"'. After speaking with someone in the Corporate offices, I was told it was an LG issue, however, LG wasn't accepting any responsibility, they were only reimbursing Sears for the service calls and parts. My warranty has expired (its 6 years old) and I have no service contract. He offered my 10% off on a new refrigerator. I thought he was kidding. I've lost far more than the 10% in hours lost from work to be here for them to fix it!
    The inside temp of the refrigerator is now freezing - can't' be controlled any more. The freezer looks like an old fashioned model, filled with frost and ice all over the food and surfaces. I have to purchase a new refrigerator, but you can bet it won't be from Sears!
    I was a loyal Sears customer, as were my parents and grandparents before this, for all of my major appliance purchases. If there's any class action against LG that anyone knows about, I sure would appreciate knowing about it. The current class action only reimburses you if you paid to service this dog.

• Pa
    Pathu Jul 21, 2013

We have encountered a similar problem with our Kenmore Elite. My model no. is 795.775.43600. We had no issues with this until now. From couple of days, i have been noticing that the bulbs are not turning off. The plastic compartment around the bulbs has started to melt. I am planning to turnoff the fridge for a bit and see if I can take out the bulbs while I get a service person to fix this problem. Please share your suggestions to getting this problem resolved quickly.

• SearsCare Jul 23, 2013

Pathu,
    My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalation Team. I came across your post and wanted to express our apologies for the difficulties you have experienced with your refrigerator. We would like the opportunity to speak with you to ensure your situation is resolved quickly and to your complete satisfaction. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name that I have assigned to reference your post (Pathu), to [email protected] Again, we apologize for the inconvenience we have caused you and look forward to speaking with you.

• Vi
    Viknjon Aug 21, 2013

Well, guess what. Same story here...came home from work to a hot stinky, melty frig, spoiled food. Horrifying to think of the fire hazard, as I had 2 dogs and a parrot inside when this occurred. Fortunate the bird survived the fumes and I was only gone for 6 hours instead of 10. Notified hot line only to be told I would have to pay for this. Researched...found this blog (thanks a bunch) contacted the recall folks in the am...hoping for some help. This will be my last purchase from Sears. We bought a fancy (spendy) kitchen range from them prior to the frig. It turned itself on clean mode while I was cooking a roast on 325 degrees. Imagine my surprise when my kitchen became super heated and the oven glowed red. Couldn't turn it off...switched the breaker. The mother board was replaced...I was afraid of my stove until the day I got rid of it. I'm feeling a reminiscent.

• Kr
    Kristi Lynn Aug 24, 2013

I just got done throwing away all the food in the refrigerator. Thanking God I was home and the house didn't burn down. The bacon on the top shelf actually was starting to cook. The butter on the door in the butter compartment was completely melted.
    Didn't think this was quite right, so I got on line and see that this was a recall issue. I am disappointed with Sears for not warning the customers that have this model. Are you waiting for a real tragedy before you notify your customers?
    I am expecting to hear back, regarding this issue. What is the plan to remedy/repair this situation? How do I know this won't repeat itself?

• SearsCare Aug 28, 2013

Dear Viknjon,

Hello, my name is Liz and I am with the Sears Social Media Support team. We are so sorry to hear of the frustrations you have encountered with your refrigerator. We can certainly understand how important it is to have a working refrigerator in your home. We would like to assist you any way we can, in resolving this situation to your satisfaction and as quickly as possible. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Viknjon), phone # used at time of purchase to [email protected]

• SearsCare Aug 28, 2013

Kristi Lynn,

My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. I saw your comment and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. We are very sorry to see that you are having such a frustrating experience with your refrigerator. We certainly can understand why you would be upset and disappointed. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your issue and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, phone # used at time of purchase, and screen name that I have assigned to reference your post (Kristi Lynn), to [email protected]

• Pi
    pilarrrgh Oct 05, 2013

Same story as everyone else. I managed to get my bulbs out using a towel and nothing had melted yet - food or parts. I happened to notice the lights were on even though my fridge doors were closed when I walked into my dark kitchen and saw the light shining through my French doors. I searched online and found this site with so many similar stories. I just chose not to renew my extended warranty a couple months back and of course now this happens. I'm hopeful that I can get someone out to repair it soon and that taking the bulbs out will keep things from overheating until I can get it repaired. Model number is 795.77302601. I'm very upset because I travel frequently for work and this easily could've happened during one of my business trips, when I leave my pets here alone and my neighbor cares for them for me. I'm wondering why I was never notified about the recall or problem and why it seems to be kept quiet by Sears when it is such a dangerous hazard.

Mary BR Oct 10, 2013

Our Sears Kenmore Elite Refrigerator Model # 79577302601 was manufactured on Dec. 2007. Not sure when we purchased it but noticed the light bulb not working last night and then when they came on, did not go out...got very hot...used pot holders to unscrew them. Looked online today to see what it could be...saw this site and the Kenmore Recall Site with a # to call. The rep I spoke with said that model is not on the recall list...I said no one has called about that model # having the same problem as the other 795 refrigerators? He said no and he would issue a service call but we are responsible for the $75 fee. He also said he would order a replacement part to be shipped here for the tech. Same issue, same service call but t his model oddly isn't covered? Not feeling very satisfied with the Kenmore company. Are they waiting for a fire to occur and then we can issue a complaint with the powers to be? We will see how the service call goes...
    Mary R.

• Mw
    MWRoutzahn Nov 16, 2013

I've just gone through the same issue, found lights on for who knows how long, plastic light cover melted to the metal bracket and light fixture practically black as if getting ready to burst into flames. Food on top shelf was warm and had to be thrown away. I managed to pry the plastic cover off and remove the burning hot bulbs before it caught fire (all this at 2 AM in the morning, I was not a happy person). I have an appointment on 11/20 and I will be calling Sears to have the conversation: 1) I won't be paying for the repair 2) will I lie awake nights wondering if the same thing will happen 3) will it happen again when no one is home and burn my house down. I hope Sears plans to make good on this problem. The refrigerator has performed well since I bought it in 2006, October. The model is 795.77244600 Kenmore Elite. I will follow up to this post after Sears appointment.

• Ml
    m. littlejohn Jan 29, 2014

Our Kenmore refrigerator light was intermittently off and on. Sometimes it would stay on a long time and get the frig contents warm or hot. I called the Sears 800 number I found here (thanks Stratsmeyer) and they are sending someone in 10 days to fix free of charge. We removed the light bulbs.

• Bm
    Bmarkwar Jan 29, 2014

We developed this issue in November last year. We called and a technician came out on November 20. He ordered the parts and said the pets would be shipped to me and he would return on December 10. The parts didn't show up so the repair had to be rescheduled. The second appointment was the same. Had to be rescheduled because the parts weren't available. Only this time they wouldn't give me a date and said they would call when the parts were available.

Two plus months later we still don't have the parts and the refrigerator hasn't been repaired. I have escalated this within Sears and today I was told they were not sure IF the parts would ever be available, The Sears woman actually said maybe this was because of the tsunami a couple of years ago! Then they offered me a discount on a new refrigerator. The whole discussion was completely ridiculous.

Since this is a known problem, wouldn't it make sense to have the repair parts available? Or at least be able to give an estimate when they might be available? From what I see on the internet, I'm not the only one with this problem. t's a great thing they have going --- since it's a known problem they would fix it for free, it only the parts were available. But they're not so the customers are out of luck.

• Re
    really stuck Feb 13, 2014

I am having this same issue. I was on the phone with sears and talked to 11 different people today since I woke up this morning to find the light cover hanging by a wire because it had melted right through the screws. It also melted the butter on the top shelf. I had to unplug the fridge today when I left for work because I couldn't get the bulbs out. Not because they are too hot but because the are burnt into the socket. The top part of the fridge is literally bubbled. The sockets are brown and the cover is all crooked and melted. Sears says they are not responsible to cover this in any way. All 11 people that I spoke with said I would be responsible for the cost. For the technician to come out next Tuesday it is $119.00 not including parts and labor. My model number is 79577304600. I was told tonight by the associate at the Sears store that it is an issue for the manufacturer. Which the refrigerator is made by Kenmore, but apparently not he said it could be an Amana or a Whirlpool and not actually Kenmore. But couldn't give me a for sure. When the recall department looks up the model # they say it hasn't been recalled. Some one Help Please

• SearsCare Feb 19, 2014

Dear really stuck,

Thank you for posting regarding the trouble you are having with your refrigerator. We attempt to provide top notch products and services to all of our members and it seems that we have fallen short in this instance. My name is Susan with the Sears Cares Escalations team. We are a single point of contact for escalated issues which means that we handle issues from start to finish with one dedicated case manager. This case manager will speak with you and discuss possible resolutions to your refrigerator situation. We value your business very much and are sorry that this has upset you and caused you to be inconvenienced. At your convenience please contact our office via email at [email protected] and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the (really stuck) was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name (screen name) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Susan R.

• Bz
    bzmommy34 Mar 23, 2014

Coming across this board is both extremely aggravating and equally relieving as my husband has been pulling his hair out trying to figure out what is wrong with our Kenmore Elite refrigerator. We were never notified of this recall that we now know is in place thanks to this board. We purchased this refrigerator along with a full kitchen of appliances from Sears in the winter of 2007. About six months ago we realized that the light was overheating, causing the food on the top shelf to spoil. We pulled the bulb assembly out to ensure no further food spoiling as well as to avoid a fire, etc. My husband contact Sears customer service and was told that it was possibly the thermostat so we ordered a new one through Sears Parts Direct. We replaced that and instantly found that wasn't the issue. My husband called Sears customer service again only to be told that it may have been a faulty thermostat so they sent yet another part out. Again he replaced the thermostat and again it did not fix the issue. Back to customer service, this time told that it may be the door switch. We purchased that part and wouldn't you know it... no go. Only this time it actually turned the lights off for two days so we thought it was fixed only to find another shelf full of spoiled food on the third day and a bulb assembly that was charred. I am appalled that Sears customer service didn't either know about this recall or simply didn't care to tell my husband when he called multiple times WITH THE MODEL NUMBER! I completely agree with the above poster that said that there should be some way that Sears could implement a notification on their site so when people such as us search for this model number in Parts Direct we are told what is going on. I mean come on... six months of dealing with this and we still have no resolution.

• Je
    Jeff Northside Apr 07, 2014

I too have had this same issue. My Wife kept telling me she smelled something burning. I found that the light got so hot that part of the plastic housing actually melted. Had to disconnect entire light assembly for fear of the fridge actually catching on fire. The top interior of the fridge itself was blistered and melted! Cant believe so many of these issues are out there with this fridge! Someone from Sears, please help

• Di
    Disgusted in Indy Apr 12, 2014

We too have a 3door kenmore elite. Light stayed on and warped light cover, but now light assembly is warped. My husband took bulbs out with hot pads! Extremely hot and butter was melting. Is sears taking care of these problems? Who do we call?

• Cr
    Crjewel Apr 15, 2014

Sears made good on fixing the problem by installing an updated light fixture and motherboard to correct this problem. Very satisfied with Sears quick response. Just glad that I found this site to inform us of a recall.