Having problems with Intelius?

C/O Intelius, 500 108th Ave. NE, 16th Floor
Fri5:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sat6:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sun6:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] unauthorized withdraw (and how I got my money back!)

Back at the end of May I had gone to Intelius.com to use their services to search for a family member. I paid around $3-$5 for the information that I was looking for and wasn't really impressed with the results. Anyways, come the middle of June my husband and I log onto our bank account and see that $40 was taken out of our account by two separate business; one of them being ValueMax and the other being a identity theft protection program. After doing some research we discovered that these two businesses were in fact sub-businesses of Intelius, and that upon paying for my information I apparently agreed to become a member for their services and had a 7 day free trial, neither of which I knew of. I first called ValueMax, and I assume that they receive tons of complaints regarding this issue since I had no problem receiving my refund. However, when I called Intelius (and waited nearly 45 minutes to speak with someone) to dispute the charges regarding their identity theft protection program, I was told that I would not be receiving a refund because I did not cancel my subscription within the 7 day trial period. I asked them "How is it possible for me to cancel a subscription that I apparently signed up to be a part of when I had no idea that I was signing up for it? And if I were a so called member then why did I not receive an email notifying me that my free trial period was ending?" (of course they're not going to send you an email warning you that your trial period was ending, because that's how they scam you and steal your money!) After going in circles with their droid-like representative, I stated that I was going to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau AND write to their complaints department regarding how they handle customer service (okay, I bluffed, but still!). So, right after I got off the phone with Intelius I went straight to the BBB website and wrote a very lengthy complaint with strong supporting facts about why they should refund me my $20 and how they are running an unethical business and building their company on stealing people's money. Well, within 24 hours I received a notice from Intelius stating that I would receive my $20 within 2-3 business days, and then the next day I logged onto my bank account and what do you know, I got my $20 back :) So basically, if you want your money back file a complaint with the BBB and threaten to dispute the charge even further. They would rather lose $20 than waste more money and time on fighting your dispute, so it's worth making a big stink about it and sticking it to the man ;)

• Intelius's response · Oct 16, 2009

It sounds like you have also accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

[Resolved] scammed!

Intelius is nothing but a scam and should be put out of business! After being charged for services which I did not authorize through their affliate Valumax 123, I researched and founf many, many complaints. I only wish I would have had the sense to do my research first! Please do not fall for anything these people promise you. For $4.99 I received nothing on a reverse cell phone search. After I disputed the charges they "graciously" refunded my $4.99, only to charge my credit card $19.95 for services from their affliate ValuMax 123. BEWARE OF SCAMMERS! It will now take 1-3 business cycles to clear the charges from my account; and I have yet to reach anyone in Intelius or Valumax.

• Intelius's response · Oct 16, 2009

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Cl
    ClassAdvocate Jun 17, 2009

I am amazed at the number of complaints about these companies. Here is a link to pending class actions for similar types of internet problems. I will post if any law firms begin investigating your specific companies.

• Ju
    Julius Berry Jul 26, 2009

INTELIUS - VALUMAX123

This company charged my debt card 19.95 for services I did not get or know about. I called the toll free number that was given from my text message fron my bank and it said that I have been charged for serviecs I authorized two months ago on a search from Intelius that cost about $10.00. I called the number it asked me to put in my credit card number or member number. I got the member number and put it in, the automated system says that it does not recognize that number. I WAS SCAMMED!!! I AM CALLING MY ATTORNEY!!!

Huntington
    New York

• Re
    redcneckmike586 Aug 10, 2009

INTELIUS -VALUMAX123.COM

I TOO HAVE BEEN RIPPED OFF BY THIS COMPANY CHARGING MY CREDIT CARD 24.95 ON 8-6-09 AFTER TALKING TO THEM FOR 7 MINS. THEY ARE GOING TO GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK AND STOP THE ACOUNT.. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THEM TO KEEP CHARGING PEOPLE THAT KIND OF MONEY I ONLY WANTED THE 4.95 SERVICE AND I HAD ALREADY PAID THAT AND NOW THE CHARGE ME 24.95 TO KEEP THE ACOUNT OPEN. AINT THERE A LAW AGAINST THIS .

THERE LOSERS ANYWAYS

Greenwood
    Arkansas.

[Resolved] unauthorized charge

I just opened outlook to check my email, and this is one of my messages: Dear Frank ****, Thank you for...

[Resolved] wanted 24 hour pass and ended up with month's subscription and protection fees

I signed up for a 24 pass with INTELIUS for access to people search for a high school reunion.
I ended up with the fee for the 24 hours, 14.95; a month's fee, 19.95, and 24 protectionplus123 for 19.95.
None of these extra fees were clear on the original sign up.
When I received an email regarding my monthly membership, I called the number on the email immediately and cancelled the membership. They claim they never received that call.
This is a scam and I would like my complaint published to warn others about this scam.

[Resolved] unauthorized cc withdrawls

I recently used a website company called Intelius to do some reverse look up checking. The cost from Intelius was $4.95. I used my credit card to pay for this. The next month when I recieved my back statement. There was an unauthorized charge from ValueMax for $19.95. I have since contacted the bank, and they are reversing the charges. And I have also reported this to the Texas State Attorney Generals office. So consumers out there should be aware that Intelius and ValuMax are working together. Or they are one and the same, scamming people for their money.

Rosa Medellin Hernandez

• Intelius's response · Oct 23, 2009

[Resolved] charged w/out my consent

they charged my credit card $19.95 w/out my consent. i never subscribed to them. i want my money back or they need to pay my credit card ASAP!!!

• Intelius's response · Oct 23, 2009

[Resolved] fraudulent charges to cc

A company named Value Max, FRAUD. My April'09 CC statement reflected 3 fraudulent charges in the amount of $19.95 - two charges from Intelius and one from ValueMax. Must be a joint scam! When I called ValueMax he would not give me any information about the company unless I gave him my CC number and email address. Cancelled CC and referred my complaint to their SIU department.

[Resolved] unsubscribe

I want to unsubscribe from your company! I have been overcharged and Im overdrawn. This is an unethical thing to do to somebody. I want my name off of your site! Jennifer clenney

• Intelius's response · Oct 23, 2009

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

[Resolved] the rip off just keeps going

I have previously written a complaint about Intelius and Value Max but the whole story just keeps getting worse.
After I had found that after using Intelius to try to help find an old friend (which was also a bust since the report had old and unusable address for them) I now have been charged my second unauthorized charge fro a service I not only didn’t sign up. What is worse is I answered NO when the popup give the option on the web site.
Without my permission I had been signed up for the Intelius Identity Protection Plan at 19.95 a month. What is really bad is they should be reporting on themselves and their sister company Value Max as companies that are ripping off your bank accounts.
Buyer Beware when it comes to using Intelius because you will have unwanted services add to the service you thought you were getting.

• Intelius's response · Oct 22, 2009

[Resolved] history of scam artist

Please, if you haven't yet had funds stolen by these crooks, check this website on the chief-fraudster before using the "services" of Intelius:

• Intelius's response · Oct 22, 2009

If you require further assistance, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

[Resolved] chargin for a subscription that I never ordered.

They are debiting my Check's account in the Amount of $-19.95 US Dollars in 2/2/09 for a Subscription that I never ordered.

I already ask for the reinbursement of the first month's charge and they offered to credit my account and instead of doing that they charge again another $19.95 Dollars on 3/4/09 for the subscription monthly payment.

In view of such behavior I assume that they will continue charching my account each month. I will ask my Bank no to charge my account and if it's possible to sent back the other two that they already have colected.

Somebody has to do something with this type of abuse and scam.

Ruben Martin-Campos

• Intelius's response · Oct 23, 2009

[Resolved] cancelled before and still charging account/cannot contact via phone

I have cancelled the services with Intelius several times before in 2008 and they started charging my credit card again in 2009 for services I haven't used or resigned up for. I've been charged 19.95 per month for "background check/people searches" that I have not even utilized. I've tried 3 times to get in touch with customer service because I cannot cancel online due to not knowing my account login and password because I never signed up for an account. I've been on hold for over 20 minutes during each call and never was able to reach a representative. I do not have the time to keep calling and attempting to reach this company, I am in the process of filing a complaint with my credit card as well.

• Nc
    nchan25 Jun 16, 2009

did not use or authorize these transactions cc was charged causeing an overdrawn account these funds need to be returned to my account immediately!

[Resolved] unauthorized charges

Letter directed to Sears Credit Card:

On or about 02/21/09 I used services provided by Intelius.com to conduct a background check for legal work. These are presented in charges in the amounts of $1.75 and $47.90. In advertently, with no intent and because of site confusion, I selected 24ProtectPlus on or about 02/25/09 for the amount of $19.95. I am disputed this charge. In addition, on 02/28/09, there is an ongoing charge from Intelius.com for an additional $19.95, which I terminated.

Consequently, I am disputing charges of $19.95 made by 24ProtectPlus on 02/25/09 and $19.95 levied by Intelius on 02/28/09.

I have contacted Intelius repeatedly via email requesting termination and refund of the charges appearing in the previous paragraph, but to no avail. Intelius does not respond to my email nor has it terminated charged. In addition, I have not been offered a refund. I am not disputing the charges made on 02/21/09 for $1.75 and $47.90 respectively.

All documentation has been included. I am unable to reach the service through the telephone. I have fulfilled my communication requirements. Documentation has been included and, therefore, I fully anticipate that Sears will rectify these matters immediately. In the event that Sears refuses to become proactive in these matters, then I will terminate my credit card immediately. I have a long record of service and allegiance to Sears; I expect and demand results.

• Intelius's response · Oct 14, 2009

[Resolved] unauthorised charge

They are charging my credit card each month. I did obtain information once and thought that the charge was a one -off but the charge is being made each month !

• Ho
    HotNYCdick Mar 03, 2009

A:
    Call your card company and change you credit card number right now!

Than:

Disputing a Credit Card Charge
    Issuers must follow rules for promptly addressing a credit card dispute. You'll get a statement outlining their rules for correcting billing errors when you open an account and at least once a year. In fact, many issuers include a summary of these rights on your bills. If you find a mistake on your bill, you can dispute the charge and withhold payment on that amount while the charge is being investigated. The error might be a charge for the wrong amount, for something you didn't accept, or for an item that wasn't delivered as agreed. Of course, you still have to pay any part of the bill that's not in dispute, including finance and other charges. Write to the creditor at the address indicated on your statement for "billing inquiries." Include your name, address, account number, and a description of the error. Send your letter soon. It must reach the creditor within 60 days after the first bill containing the error was mailed to you. The creditor must acknowledge your complaint in writing within 30 days of receipt, unless the problem has been resolved. At the latest, the dispute must be resolved within two billing cycles, but not more than 90 days. In order to dispute a charge for unsatisfactory goods or services, you must: have made the purchase in your home state or within 100 miles of your current billing address. The charge must be for more than $50. (These limitations don't apply if the seller also is the card issuer or if a special business relationship exists between the seller and the card issuer.) and, first make a good faith effort to resolve the dispute with the seller. No special procedures are required to do so. If these conditions don't apply, you may want to consider filing an action in small claims court.

Here are answers and opinions from FAQ Farmers:

Be very, very careful when disputing a payment. Regardless of the amount, pay your credit card bill on time. Whatever you do, make sure your bank or credit card company do not list the balance on your credit card as a "bad debt", other you will not be able to get a mortgage for your house, or a loan for a car because your credit rating will have been affected.

[Resolved] unauthorized charge

I was charged for services that I never asked for and had canceled the very first day. I continue to receive chages. What a rip-off. I have tryed to call with no answers. On the line for 4 hrs. please take care of this problem ...please. thank you
Donna Filipkowski
[protected]@bellsouth.net

[protected]

John Egan Apr 16, 2009

On April 14, 2009, an unauthorized charge appeared on my bank account in the amount of $19.95.

The Description was listed as: CHECKCARD 0413 INTELIUS SUBSCRIPTION 877-974-1563 WA 24692169103000249881154.

When I called the above number, I was put on hold and never got thr0ugh to a representative.

I would like this charge reversed on my bank account by INTELIUS.

John Egan

• Ms
    ms. battenhouse May 15, 2009

My mother was supposed to be paying only $.95 for a ONE time use to find a long lost friend and ended up being charged 19.95 a month for the past two months to her cc. I had to wait on the phone for about twenty minutes to get a human being and he refused to reimburse any of the money even though it was never used and we hadn't realized we had been signed up. This is just absolute crap!!! If it was there in writing when we signed up then it must have been micro-scopic writing.

[Resolved] not wanted

I used your sight to get background information on one individual, and wound up subscribing. I was under the impression the $19.95 fee was a one time charge, now it appears it is a monthly subscription. We wish to be taken off that subscription. ASAP.
Thank you Lynne J. Mazzone, secretary

• Intelius's response · Oct 27, 2009

[Resolved] 24 hour protect

I used intellius to locate the owner of a property, which I have done a few times in the past, but this time...

[Resolved] deceptive billing practices

If you intended to do a one time $4.95 property/neighborhood report, you are auotmagically subscribed (apparently) to their monthly indetity theft service at $19.95 per month -- there's some irony in this if you think about it.

Their markerkting practices are quite clever and equally deceptive. Further investigation out here in cyberspace confirms their sleeze bag practices.

And the the run around with them continues. I restroted to taking action with my bank.

Caveat emptor.

[Resolved] refund requested

I have been charged for two months of a subscription that I did not authorize. I would like a full refund for the month of January and February on the credit card that was used for the 1.95 transaction that I did authorize. I am canceling any service that I have with your company effective January 1, 2009. There was no authorized transactions made after December 31, 2008. The credit card company has been notified that there will be no more payments made to intelius.

[Resolved] fraud

intelius puts a offer on to search of .95 cents then changes it to a monthly subscription of $19.95 and adds another $19.95 for their company(value max) with a phone number on the cc you give to register that when you call send you to a fake web address valuemax123.com that 100s and thousands of people all have fraud charges, IS THERE a atty who can file a class action?The phone number to call is [protected] corp then push the # for media and fax [protected] repeat it daily ..Their atty is [protected] and the atty generals of each state will look at complaints.NO better bussiness they dont belong.SUPRISE.They have another company called intellisense.William A Owens CEO 500 108 ave N.E. Bellevue wash 98004 Phone there also [protected]
John K ARNOLD, Paul T Cook<Edward Petersen, Kevin Marcus all can be emailed at intelius.com JSP is another company nortel network also write your state depts. FTC at ftc.gov each state.The parade magazine in long beach ca .MSNBC, they have done articles in the past.