Having problems with Intelius?

C/O Intelius, 500 108th Ave. NE, 16th Floor
Sat6:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sun6:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

Intelius - Class Action Suitfraudulent/unauthorized charges

Just found this at another consumer complaint website:

1. written by william restis, on [protected]:05

Our law firm is plaintiffs' counsel in a class action lawsuit filed against intelius and their partners in the central district of california. if you have information you would like to share, or to assist in the prosecution of this case, you can contact me at:

William r. restis, esq.

Finkelstein & krinsk llp

501 west broadway, suite 1250

San diego, ca 92101

Toll free: [protected]

Fax: [protected]

Email: [protected]@classactionlaw.com

• Intelius's response · Nov 05, 2009

If you require further assistance, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Inteliusbank withdraw

I have had two charges to my bank account from SaveAce and ID Protect which is "Intelius". The first one I did not catch but the second one caught my eye so I went back in my records and found the other charge. Come to find out SaveAce got my card number from "Intelius" which is a company that will look up cell phone numbers. But when I did this some how SaveAce put there charge in and has been charging my account along with "Intelius" the company I agreed to have a contract with. So watch out for "Intelius" they must be some how tied to each other!!! Oh yea I got hooked up with Intelius through AT&T go figure AT&T must not know that they are in bed with a SCAM company that either gives your bank information or sells it??? I canceld both contracts, the one I knew about and the one I did not know about and hope I get some of my money back but not counting on it LOL!!!

• Intelius's response · Nov 05, 2009

It sounds like you have also accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

Intelius / People Searchscam

This complany is a marketing scam, if you want to know how to get your money back respond to me! I worked there long enough to know they were taking money from inocent people. I can tell you the secret to getting your money back!

• Intelius's response · Oct 23, 2009

Please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Ta
          taytay58 Nov 16, 2009

this just happen to me and I did authorize this I want my mony back

Intelius.comfraudulent trick

I purchased a report on Oct. XXth, 2009 about a person I was trying to find. I paid $39.99 for the full report and honestly, Intelius did not provide me any extra information I wasn't able to find on the Internet. However, THE BIG SCAM came after, more than a week later, on Oct XXth, 2009, when my credit card was charged $29.95 for a a company VALMAX. I knew that the only transaction I would suspect had happened with Intelus. I called them and asked the customer service rep. She claimed that Intelius had nothing to do with them, but "they were a company that advertised their service (whatever the service it was) on Intelius website". She kept saying that Intelius had nothing to do with them!!!... Well, then I asked her "how this ValueMax was able to advertise on their website". Then she said that Intelius had made a deal, ValueMax could advertise their service on their website and UNLESS YOU CHECK a little tiny box, you automatically sign up for ValueMax for a trial period. After 7 days, your trial subscription becomes a continuous one! How tricky is that???? If I want to subscribe to anything, I CHECK a box, NOT UNCHECK. BEWARE Intelius! The report you will purchase (I bet) will not have anything other than you can find online. Their number is [protected], STAY AWAYYYYYYYY!!!...

Anyways, I called ValueMax, of course their service center [protected]) was not operation 24/7, which I already accepted. The message told me to go to their website and log on etc, but I did not have any member ID or a password of anykind. HEAR THIS!!!... When you call the number, it is asking you to enter the credit card number you made the payment for IN ORDER TO REACH your account information :)))) I just laughed at that!!...

Hear this! Everytime you go back to see your report that you purchased from Intelius, the same tricky screen with no check box comes and you sign up for trial again.

Bottomline, our bank is reverting this s.itty scam spending and we will have a new card with new numbers now. Having said that, we will lose more time in modifying the credit card numbers we make continuos payments.

CHECK THE FILES ATTACHED! Intelius is a JOKE!

• Intelius's response · Nov 05, 2009

Intelius — unauthorized charge on my credit, debit card.

I may have looked at their site, but did not order anything, and did not give them my credit card number...

Intelius — their report identified the wrong person

I asked Intellius to look up a phone number (part 1 below). They returned the name of a man who did not have...

Intelius — didn't sign up for this

I didn't sign up for this, and I have no idea how they got my bank account information. How can I stop this???

Inteliusripped me off for service I didn't request

I asked for a $0.95 service to look up my uncle's telephone # in Irving, Texas and did not ask for a membership to this company's services but they went ahead and charged my bank account $19.95 for a months service. I talked to a rep just now and she informed me I had a seven day period to cancel their service and their were no refunds given. She also said I had been sent three e-mails confirming my membership which I never received. There is a whole page of complaints on this company on the internet saying it is a scam and if I had known of that before I used it I never would have done so. I have been charged $0.95 for the initial service then today I checked my bank account and there was a $19.95 charge to their company which shocked me as I had never signed up for any extra services. The lady I talked with gave me a cancellation #[protected] for further charges but insisted their would be no refund for the initial $19.95 for the service I had been charged for this month. This is outright theft of service and I would appreciate your help in getting my money refunded. I am on Social Security and don't have enough money to harldly survive now. Thank you, Carey A Hill @ [protected]@msn.com

Marcus May 09, 2008

Company says no information, no charge. The information for the reverse phone number search I requested came back with someone who had the phone "several" years before. When I called with my concerns they told me to read the entire disclosure statement which says they might not have "current" information and that in such a situation there would be no refunds. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was informed that they do not accept calls. I sent an email to customer support stating my case and have never received a response. What is the difference between wrong information and no information? Complete ripp off!

• Bo
              bonnie Jun 20, 2008

I was searching fro a friend and thought I was paying for the service of obtaining information. Next thing I know I am having 19.95 a month deducted from my checking account for 24 hour internet protection service!!! Kind of ironic!!! I called the protection company (the number was on my statement), found out what was happening and how it happened. I told them to stop and refund my money. They canceled and stated they will refund the last payment, but not the first. That I will dispute with my bank system. I called Intellius who told me when I purchased the information a pop up screen came up with a 19.95 charge and I accepted. She stated there was a small box on the bottom of the pop up I could have chosen and I would not have had this "protection" A VERY DECEPTIVE PRACTICE FROM PEOPLE WHO ARE SAYING THEY PROTECT!!!

• Je
              Jean Nov 24, 2008

The same thing happened to me.

• Ly
              Lynnette Gyllenblad Apr 07, 2009

I am waiting for a return on unauthorized charges for the People Search. I am currently on hold on the telephone and cannot reach anyone. If this continues I will have to contact the Attorney Generals Office in my state. As I'm holding I am reading all the other complaints from very unsatisfied customers. Is this one of the companies my tax dollars is bailing out? I hope not.
              I will be happy to help your company learn what good customer service is, because you currently don't seem to have skills in this area.

• De
              deborah trotter Jun 13, 2009

I purchased a one time people search from intellius. Not only did I not recieve a seach as advertised, my next months' bank statement showed an unauthorized withdrawal of $19.99. I have tried to cancel and recieve a refund but fear I will have to change my bank account number to accomplish this. Their results fed me back only the name I had given them. no other information was obtainable although a thourgh search is advertized. Obtaining a response by phone or email is impossible. Do these people really exsist?

• De
              deborah trotter Jun 13, 2009

I am glad this complaint exsist. If I owe you any money using it, CANCEL IMMEDIATLY! Deborah Trotter

Inteliusfraud alert

I am very peeved!!! I happened to look at my account online and saw that INTELIUS charged me for a service that I NEVER signed up for. I used it once for .95cent search and it never said anything about a monthly service fee. THIS IS FRAUD!!! And of course they are not open on the weekend. They just take your money without you even knowing!!! I will be calling the BBB and reporting them!!! This company was talked about on my local news channel that I found out about after the fact. Now I am going to have to change all of my account info so that I can protect mysel[censored] DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY THEY ARE NOTHING BUT A FRAUD AND A MAJOR RIP OFF!!! TIMES ARE HARD ENOUGH WITHOUT COMPANIES LIKE THESE RIPPING HARD WORKING PEOPLE OFF!!!

• Intelius's response · Oct 14, 2009

Intelius / Valumaxfraud - unauthorized charges

I ordered a couple of extended people searches a few weeks ago, and now, I have unauthorized charges from a company called "Valuemax" which I NEVER elected to be a part of. I was never shown any kind of agreement screen, or offers from this Valumax company.

The day that I ordered the searches, three statements from Intelius for the amounts I paid came in my email. A "welcome letter" from Valuemax also came through, but because I receive email in high volume, and it was not from Intelius, the company that I THOUGHT I was dealing with, I did not open it.

Supposedly "Valuemax" is something that would save me money on credit card purchases at certain establishments.

I have never received any other corrospondence from Valuemax since.

I did a web search and I found that many many other people are suffering from this same scam.

Once again, I never authorized any kind of membership. As a result of this, I have had to cancel my bank card, and am now trying to reconcile the NSF fees from this fiasco.

This company must be stopped.

fraud - unauthorized charges

• Intelius's response · Oct 14, 2009

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• He
                  Hegemony Cricket Jan 05, 2010

I just found months worth of Valumax charges on my credit card. I have used Intelius in the past with no problem and am very much aware of the hook attached to all these "free trial" offers. I never sign up for anything that I'm going to have to remember to cancel later. It is a load of BS that I somehow agreed to some promo offer outside of the immediate search I was doing. I know FOR SURE that I never agreed to anything like a "special promotional" rate. I called Valumax today and really went off on them. At first they only offered to refund the most recent charge, but when I started talking about bringing in my state's Attorney General Office they agreed real quick to refund all charges. This is sleezy beyond belief, especially in times like this. It's even sleezier to try to put the blame for this kind of ripoff back on the victims. I WILL NEVER USE THE INTELIUS SITE AGAIN FOR ANY REASON! NO ONE ELSE SHOULD EITHER IF THEY VALUE THEIR PRIVACY, MONEY AND PEACE OF MIND!!

Gemfromthevine Sep 04, 2010

I, too, found that after using Intelius once or twice that I was covertly enrolled in a membership for Identity Protect that was charging $24.95 to my checking account!!!
                  When I finally called on 6.15.10 [My note to self: Cancelled Intellius and People Seach on 6.15.10 (Crystal/Record #5140C/[protected])], it is not easy to find out how to cancel on their website, they supposedly cancelled it, but now it is showing us as something called ValueMax.
                  What the hell kind of scam is this????
                  Major inconvenience as I will prob close that account with my bank.
                  DO NOT USE THE INTELIUS SITE FOR ANYTHING OR YOU WILL BE SORRY!

Gemfromthevine Sep 04, 2010

9.4.10
                  So I just got off the phone with a supervisor named Gloria from Value Max. Of course, I was infuriated.
                  Because I mentioned that I was researching the Intelius/ValueMax scam and seeing numerous complaints online, she offered to refund the August and July ValueMax charges that were showing up on my account.

I asked her if that was it??? She asked me how many charges were showing up on my checking account and I told her that since she had her computer open to my account, that she could tell ME, and if not, I would contact my State Attorney General's office, just like the other people threatened to on this site.

She then told me that she would refund the TEN charges of $24.95 that had hit my account, it would take 3-5 business days to see it on my statement.

I then demanded a phone number and my membership number (since I had NO idea about my "membership", should I need to call back if the charges where not reimbursed.

If you need to call to deal with your own situation, call a supervisor named Gloria at ValueMax #[protected].

My Notes:
                  6.15.10 Cancelled Intellius and People Seach (Rep: Crystal/Record #5140C/[protected])
                  9.4.10 Cancelled ValueMax w/Rep Lydia, bank should be credited in 2 business for August (Record #700226)...but I asked to speak with a supervisor to get all of the charges reimbursed. ***Supervisor Gloria #[protected], Record #4789 - will refund 10 charges for $24.95 3 biz days, Membership #[protected]

From what I can tell, when I used Intelius, there must have been fine print about a trial ValueMax membership that would activate if I didn't cancel in 7 days. But how would I know to cancel if I didn't even know about the membership??? I am now going to research back in my checking account to see if I was charged for BOTH Intellius and ValueMax...

Additionally, I'm going to forward this link and a complaint to my State Attorney General and some local/national news stations in hopes that one of them will blow this scam wide open.

Intelius — how to get a refund for bogus charges!!!

I submitted a complaint last week here because while reviewing my bank account statement I learned that I had...

People Look Up / Inteliusfraudulent charges

I clicked on a service that was offered at $.95. They charged me $4.95 and then subscribed me to some service call 24 Protect Plus. I did not subscribe to this...never heard of it. This is out and out fraud and these people are thieving ###.

Intelius People Search — failing to use public records

Intelius provides the ability to find people based on "public records, " so it claims. However, when I wrote...

Intelius.comrip off

A Google search for a particular individual led to a link to Intellius.com for information about that person. Intellius correctly identified the individual's name, age, and city of residence, then provided another link for additional criminal background information about the individual--which cost $29.95.

I clicked on this link to buy the criminal info, entered my credit card information, and received the supposed report of the criminal background information for the person whom Intellius had identified by name, age, and location in the previous screen.

However, the information in the Criminal Report was NOT for this individual! It was for someone 20 years younger with a similar name...

I called Intellius to report this problem and request a refund. Intellius informed me that I should have entered the person's age on the order screen. I told Intellius that on the order screen there was NO PLACE to enter the person's age; and Intellius itself had already identified the person's age on previous screen...

I further explained that Intellius, in accepting the fee, had contracted to give correct information--not incorrect information, and that I was entitled to a refund. The representative refused to give a refund and hung up the phone.

BIG RIP-OFF! BIG SCAM! AVOID THIS COMPANY!!!

THEY SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN.

Intelius Email Searchhidden sign up id protection

I tried looking up an on yahoo people search and forwarded to Intelius who offered to give it to me for $1.95. I paid and get the email address but it was not current

I complained online and tried to get a refund but that never happened. I let it slide. 7 days later I get a charge for ID Protection for $19.95! I called as I knew nothing about subcribing to ID Protection and they WON'T REFUND on my so-called 7 day trial. They said that no further charges will be made. I hope not.

• Intelius's response · Oct 16, 2009

generalnotsew Aug 03, 2009

Do NOT accept anything less than a full refund! I demand you call them back and get harsh with them. They know what they are doing. They tried to tell me no refund then I told them about all the fraud complaints of them stealing money. They agreed to give a full refund immediately with no argument. Call them back ASAP and tell them you already know about their fraud.

Intelius — scam

I have tried to connect by phone for two days. after waiting 15minutes a person answered. He said he could...

Inteliusdo not use this service!!!

DO NOT USE INTELLIUS.

THEY DO NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH CURRENT RECORDS.

YOU CAN'T GET ANYONE AT "CUSTOMER SERVICE".

THEY ARE ONLY OPEN FROM MON-FR. 9 - 4:30 P.M.

THEY DO NOT CONTACT YOU FOR AT LEAST 3 DAYS AFTER YOU HAVE PAID THEM, THUS THE 3 DAY LEGAL LAW THAT REQUIRES AN AUTOMATIC REFUND WOULD HAVE PASSED.

YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH HELL TO GET A REFUND...IF YOU EVER GET ONE THAT IS.

NOT A REPUTABLE COMPANY. THEY SHOULD BE SUED.

SUSAN B.

• Intelius's response · Jan 19, 2010

Please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 10:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

Intelius (Credit Monitor)didn't sign up for product

That is absolutely absurd. I never authorized such a transaction and it's quite sneaky how your company operates. I'm well aware of all the complaints you've had towards your fraudulent company. I'm also well aware that your business operates under all sorts of "guises' of companies all linked to one, who do not provide any kind of service except for ripping people off. I'm an attorney and will take necessary precautions, if I"m not refunded my money with the utmost promptness and taken off your monthly billing list effective immediately. I have more than enough information against "Intelius", to make some really large waves. Proceed with Caution.

Intelius Identity Protect — intelius

Intelius is conducting a massive fraud. I used their service one time to find a high school friend, which...

Intelius.comprivacy violation

I have been listed in google search with Intelius that my personal information can be searched, e.g phone number, address, etc. How did they get this information? My telephone number is private and I certainly do not want to give out my address on the internet. This company is violating people's privacy to make a few dollars. This is not acceptable.

• Intelius's response · Oct 23, 2009

If you require further assistance, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Ra
                              Rabbi Gross Apr 18, 2010

I couldn't agree more.
                              If you go to the US census site and look under your name (e.g. http://www.census-online.us/search/Last, First ) it lists what it finds for that name.
                              If you then click on one of the "FOUND" links, it takes you to an intelius.com site list for that name.
                              Does the US Census data get collected, processed or shared with Intelius?
                              Why does an official US Census site link to Intelius?
                              I wonder...
                              Also makes you wonder (or not) why folks are reluctant to fill out the US Census when you are required by law to provide this information and the next thing you know it's accessible on the internet in a time of increasing identity theft...

• Long Duck Duong Dec 29, 2010

This is sad and problematic. Someone need to stop this, it is insane. If someon wants to black mail you all he has to do is pay.99 cent to intelius to find out your relatives info.

• En
                              enanocomplaint Jan 05, 2011

The Census-online link posted above is NOT related to the US Census Bureau. It's a 3rd party search endorser.

This is from that site's ABOUT page: "We are not affiliated with, endorsed by, or connected with the U.S. Census Bureau or any other government agency in any way."

matlock1981 Nov 18, 2011

Ever heard of a phonebook?...lol