Having problems with Intelius?

C/O Intelius, 500 108th Ave. NE, 16th Floor
Sat6:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Sun6:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] possible fraudulent charges

In January 2007, I ordered a background check on myself and my credit card was charged $117.45. Two days ago, I received TWO emails from Intelius that my "recent" background check report was available for viewing for 30 days. I went into Intelius and looked at my account, and it showed one report in 2007, and my credit card information for a card that was closed in September 2008. I contacted Intelius and "Stephan" did not know why I was sent the email (yeah right) and I have no recent charges to my account. I have filed a "phishing" complaint with the Attorney General and Better Business Bureau, as well as contacting the credit card (closed in September 2008) company about my concern for unauthorized charges. I would steer away from these people. This type of "phishing" should be prosecuted. I believe they were trying to get updated credit card information and/or zapping me for another $117.45 charge.

• Intelius's response · Oct 15, 2009

Intelius customers come to our website and input their account information by choice, we do not phish for information.

If you require additional assistance, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Sc
    scapegoat24 Oct 14, 2009

Intelius does not Phish for any information. They purchase their information from public record sources and sell exactly what they purchase.

[Resolved] fruadulent credit card charges

Be advised of this Intelius - Value Max Scam!! In December 2008, I used Intelius to do a reverse lookup for $4.99. And I have just discovered a charge of $19.95 in both December 2008 and January 2009 for a membership thing that I never subscribed to Value Max. After researching, I've found a lot of comlains that INTELIUS is the one that sells the credit card info to VALUE MAX or at least colloborate. EVERYONE, BE AWARE.

Anyone willing to go legal? If we don't STOP this who will?

• Intelius's response · Oct 22, 2009

It sounds like you have also accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Ra
    rakee Feb 04, 2009

if you want your invested money back, then go to the website : http://www.iticctrust.com,
    and make their complain, they will get ur money back surely because they are information technology internet cyber crime.
    Just go their and post your complain, then see how best they are in getting ur money and keeping u always safe from frauds,
    go to www.iticctrust.com, click on post complaints, and post the complaint then see their power of justice,
    that how they take action for u, and make u ur money back, its my guranttee,
    bcoz i have got my Rs 18700 back from webwiz company whom i paid for data entry job,
    and they cheated me iticctrust.com helped me when i complained there, and i got my money back from webwiz company...
    And as well as the best job in a genuine company... so follow my advice u can get the gr8 profit...
    bcoz im getting im a live example.

• Br
    Brandy101 Sep 12, 2009

They also charged me for a membership that I never signed up for. Some how they had my credit card number and charged my account $59.85. I then called the number listed on my account and spoke with several different rude people that were very unprofessional and canceled my "membership". Hope it doesn't happen again!
    Brandy

[Resolved] unauthorized credit card withdrawals

THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM DO NOT USE. I used this company to try and find a friend in New Orleans. I havent...

[Resolved] was charged for a subscription I never signed up or agreed to

I have had a couple monthly charges for a subscription I never signed up for on my my credit card account that shouldnt have been charged. I used your website once to look up a phone number and was charged .99 that I agreed to. I never agreed to becoming a member and paying a monthly fee. I have never been back on that website or used it but that one time. I would like to have my credit card reimbursed and if there is a membership it needs to be cancelled immediately! I have tried calling numerous times and am put on hold for a ridiculious amount of time, never getting to speak with a representative. Please fix this asap. I wasnt expecting these charges and it has put my card over the limit. If this cant be fixed by you, I do intend to file a dispute with my credit card company. Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Thanks and I look foward to hearing from you.

Cody Patterson

• Intelius's response · Oct 27, 2009

Please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

19.95 charge not authorized

I never signed up for an automatic monthly charge of 19.95 on my credit card. I know what I am doing on websites and I usually know scams when I see them. This one must have been good. I did go on their website wanting to locate a relative knowing it would cost me a one time charge. I found out when I got there that the one time charge would be $1.95. No where on the website does it tell you that you are signing up for a perpetual monthly subscription and no where on their website does it tell you that you will be automatically charged 19.95 every month forever (if you do not catch them at their deception). A company that deceives you on their website by making you believe you will only have a one time charge of $1.95 but in reality begins to charge you card $19.95 every month is stealing money from unsuspecting people (until they catch the problem). This is no different than someone stealing $20 from my purse every month. Stealing is stealing and they should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Can someone tell me how to get them to stop charging my credit card? So far they have gotten $60 from me and the next deduction is scheduled to be done on the 23rd of this month again.

• Ji
    Jim Kollbocker Aug 28, 2009

I wholeheartedly agree that a $19.95 deduction is being made every month from my account for ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!! I NEVER, EVER authorized this and I want it to CEASE!!! I agree with ALL the others about being robbed (literally). You folks are thieves and should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law!!! Every time one tries to contact this company, you're out on hold for hours and NO-ONE EVER ANSWERS the phone!!! What a rip-off!!!

[Resolved] false charge

On 12/24 I approved a charge of $.95 for a warrent check, Transaction #[protected]. This was taken from my account. Today I found a payment from my account to Intelius.com for $19.90 that was not authorized or explained. Please return the $19.90 in my account and take me off your list.

Charles Mueller
c.[protected]@yahoo.com

• Ar
    armyperson59 Feb 10, 2009

On 2/06 I approved a charge of $.95 for a warrent check, Transaction 17173390. This was taken from my account. Today I found a payment from my account to Intelius.com for $19.95 that was not authorized or explained. Transaction 17335479. Please return the $19.95 in my account and take me off your list.

john knight Oct 22, 2009

phone number 214.476.4367 name john knight stopped for gas at exxon @south walton walker &duncanville rd ; gave the attendant 20 dollars for gas on pump 20.only received 10.manger checked till after 15 minutes and stated only over by 1 dollar .asked to review video manger stated call the police .went to appointment stoped by police station ;told to call 911 and return to spot all i need is this issue settled imediately thanks jk

steal money and almost impossible to get a hold of

This company is a huge bunch of scammers. I tried looking up an old friends email only to get none of the right information. Like every other complaint listed I also was charged an unauthorized amount of 19.95 for a monthly subscription of some sort. This was never listed in the fine print, company details, or anywhere else on the site. Then when you try to cancel and get a refund you call the number which is hidden away on one page and are put on hold for 20-45 min at a time trying to cancel. I don't know how this company is still running but they suck do NOT use them!!!

[Resolved] sale of my information to value max 123

On 12/19/08 I contacted Intelius (www.intelius.com) for reverse telephone information for a cost of $0.99...

[Resolved] federal trade commission

Most of the people who regret having given their credit card details to Intelius should prepare an event log of dates of contact with Intelius and the nature of the contact then use it to make formal complaints to the Federal Trade Commission here:

Federal Trade Commission
Make an online complaint here:

You may also wish to report this matter to the Better Business Bureau (BBB), a private, not-for-profit organization in the U.S. which assists with business/consumer complaints here:

Better Business Bureau at DuPont WA
Send an email with “BBB Intelius” in the subject header to:
[protected]@thebbb.org

Just give them an event log of the facts, order numbers, dates and amounts paid. No need to be abusive!

The more carefully-worded complaints that are made about Intelius, the sooner the authorities will take appropriate corrective action.

Good luck!

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] contact the better business bureau

Please log a complaint with the Western Washington Better Business Bureau: To complain to the Better...

[Resolved] monthly fee

I used Intelius for a one time report - had no idea I signed up for a monthly fee. Please Cancel this monthly service immediately. The credit card you are using will be cancelled at 12/08 Please confirrm cancellation

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] unauthorized credit card charges

While attempting to find a long lost friend through a name search on the AT&T White Pages (www.anywho.com) to no avail, I was offered a link through this website to assist in locating the person I was looking for. The hyper link brought me to http://www.intelius.com/ - where I was offered the cell phone number of the contact I was looking for a charge of $1.95. This charge was processed on 11/15 to Intelius. Then on 11/17 I noticed a new charge on my credit card for $19.95 to "AP9 ValueMax". I contacted my credit card company who then including me on a conference call with a representative of "AP9ValueMax".

The woman Nova at this phone number [protected] agreed to refund my "membership charge" of $19.95 within 5 days (we'll see!). I also got Nova to admit to both my representative at my credit card company (Bank of America) and me that "Ap9 ValueMax" also does business as "Intelius" and "Simpleescapes" and "galleriausa". These firms are all the same. Please note the other posts from other individuals that have been through this nightmare. If you are not proactive and cut the initial charges off these firms will continue to charge your credit card until you put a stop to them charging your credit card.

The one item that stuns me is that a reputable firm such as AT&T and the White Pages does business with such a scam type company. Be very weary of simple inexpensive charges over the internet ! BUYER BEWARE!

• Intelius's response · Oct 14, 2009

• Gu
    guiltynoise Feb 17, 2009

When you're on the internet, you gotta be careful. While Intelius offered a secure transaction, I still suspected them of something. You have to. People, Beware! Don't be stupid- investigate.

I went ahead and bought a reverse lookup from Intelius, and promptly asked them if there would be any recurring charges.

They told me they wouldn't charge me for anything else in the future.

BUT... they told me that they 'saw' something that might charge my debit card. Valu-Max.
    Intellius email:

Thank you for contacting Intelius customer support. Per your request we have cancelled your Identity Protect subscription. There will be no further charges. After reviewing your account we noticed an additional offer that was accepted through one of our affiliate sites, Valu-Max. For additional information or to cancel the accepted offer please call Valu-Max at 1-888-205-2257.
    ***************
    And they provided an 888 number, which I promptly called. Valu-Max cancelled my account, but you can be sure I'm going to get a new card number asap.

I sent the following to Intellius and the BBB:

**************
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To whom it may concern,

Your "Additional Offer" (valu-max) is not a clickable option with your service, and the Valu-Max service charges are not displayed prominently in your advertisement.
    To avoid legal proceedings, please make the appropriate changes to your interface.

I encourage everyone to be PROACTIVE in turning in these creeps. If we don't do it, no one else will. Get off your lazy bums and do something.

Johhny May 07, 2009

when you call AP9 Valuemax, this is what you have to say to get your money back, "I have never signed up for Valuemax, I don't know your company and I don't even know how you got my credit card information". And then Valuemax is going to say, "well, you signed up with Intellius" . You're going to say " I did sign up for Intelluis but I didnt sign up for your company."

I guarantee after you told them what I just said, they will give a refund. If not, one last option, call your card customer service to dispute the charges.

• Th
    thatoneguy Jun 21, 2009

wow i have been trying to figure out these charges for several months now thank you for bringing this to everyones attention its sunday now but im going to call them tommorow and try to get my money back theyeve taken about 80$ from me now! I guess I was being a lazy bum for too long but the bank couldnt tell me anything about the charges

• Ww
    wwp Jun 30, 2009

I had the same problem. Ran a background check and paid for it. Then the AP9 Valuemax charges started showing up on the 28th of each month. In the beginning, I thought that I had made a charge and then just forgotten about it. Besides it was only 19.95. But the charge kept coming. I finally called Valuemax who said they would cancel the mebership. I said that I had not ordered the "membership". Valuemax said that I clicked on a link. Since Valuemax was making the charge, I asked that they supply documentation that I had placed an order for their services. Valuemax said they did not have it, call Intelius. But there is no way to contact Intelius. I called VISA to dispute the charges, but they will only go back 60 days. This is fraud, clear and simple. But most people do not persue it, just cancel, so Valuemax and Intelius keep the money the received before they got caught.

• Lt
    Ltaweel Jul 15, 2009

I had the same experience with Intelius. I ran a simple white page lookup for an address, I was continuously re-directed Intelius until I became so frustrated that I paid 99 cents for the address. I just realized today that I have incurred 6 charges over the last 5 months of $19.95 per charge. These folks are ripoffs to the 1st degree. I am complaining to every agency that will listen to me as well as my credit card company.

[Resolved] charge on credit card

I have a charge of $19.95 on my credit card and I have no idea what it is for and how it got there. I would like to either get my money back or have them stop charging me for this service that I don't receive.

• He
    henning Jan 11, 2009

what is this for?? i wont my money back Poul Torp

• He
    henning Jan 11, 2009

please send my money back...i do not know what is this for?? Poul

[Resolved] false charge on credit card

I have 3 charges on by credit card for an Intelius subscriptiion:
Sept l7 for l3.89
Sept 24 for l9.95
Oct for l9.95
I have not subscribed to anything and I cannot contact you by phone because you won't anwer. I want it off my credit card.

[Resolved] misleading

This i a very misleading service. You sign up for unlimited searches, pay a fee, and then get hardly nothing. Once the person you are looking for is found then the next screen tells you to pay additional fees for more info. I called for a refund and was told they didnt offer refunds. Completely bad business ethics.

• Intelius's response · Oct 16, 2009

If you need further assistance, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

[Resolved] sharing credit info

This company is sharing information with Value Max123.com, Value Max sent me a warning notices telling me they were going to bill me about 4 hours after I had charged a one time fee of 39.95, for a people search on Intelius, which was of no value to me because the phone numbers given were no good. This has never happened to me before and it makes me stinking mad because Intelius offers Identity Proctect, what a JOKE! I hope someone does something to stop this. I have notified my bank and I have also called Value Max and canceled the subscription that I didn't order in the first place. Lucky me... I hadn't been charged yet they did send my cancelation noticed right away. I also sent an email to Intelius telling them how disappointed I was and I am also going to follow-up with a phone call later today.

Mad... in California.

• Intelius's response · Oct 14, 2009

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call 888-445-2727 Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

[Resolved] unauthorized deduction of us$ 19.95

I bough a one time report from them that costed Us$ 4.95. I've never subscribed for any additional services, but because of that transaction they have my card number. Today when I went to check my acount, the charge is there, to be effective today - US$19.95 for a subscription that I did not authorize and I did not request.

Nadia Pinkerton

• Ha
    Harvey Penwell Jr Nov 10, 2008

Who do these people think they are !!! I will sue the ### out of them.
    This Is a complete scam and the internet provider is just as responsible for this !!!
    YOU WIL PAY FOR YOUR INTERNET FRAUD!!!

Maureen Chisholm Nov 21, 2008

My account was just charged without authorization for $19.95.!!! This is crap!!!

Josef Bell Nov 28, 2008

They are a bunch of crooks!

I just saw a charge on my bank for 19.95 that happened yesterday.
    I only did a number lookup once last week and now I' being charged for subscription?
    I just tried to call them and the voicemail said due to increment weathcer condiditon, our
    customer server reps are unavailable to help me. Call back tomorrow.

What a scam.

I advice anyone not to use there service becuase once they have your credit card, they have it for life
    unless you change it.

• Ta
    Tasha Feb 25, 2009

i dont remember doin anythin wit this stuff but it is on my bank statement.. So someone needs to get this straight and give me back my 19.95...

• Li
    Linda Feb 28, 2009

I too, just noticed a $19.95 Charge on my bank account that I did not authorize nor use this service. I did use intelius ONE time for a reverse phone number look up. It was on my account, I paid it, and that SHOULD HAVE been the end. Who and where can I put in a complaint on this charge? Can someone advise me please?

• Ih
    I hate Intelius Apr 15, 2009

I too have one and was very careful to select "NO" to all the offers. I am disputing the charges through Capital One as I looked up a phone number (reverse phone lookup) for about $5 ($4.95 or $5.95) and suddenly got it with a $19.95 charge each month and now have to dispute it. Sad thing is that even though I closed my account with Capital One and opened a new one, they migrate the charge to the new account. I hate to have to close my account entirely with the credit card company but it almost leaves me with no choice due to this fraud. You would think that a large corporate like Capital One would step up to people like this so A) they would be left holding the bad or wasting $ trying to defend us over a $20 charge and B) wouldn't want to lose decent customers over crap like this. Maybe because so many people don't pay attention to it and let it go they make money... oh well. Sorry, I am an informed consumer/credit card holder.

[Resolved] unauthorized bank charges

I authorized a one time payment of 19.95 to intelius, now they are chanrging my bank account for another 19.95. I've called my bank, and issued a stop payment to deter futher charges from Intelius. I intend to call them tomorrow and see if they will, of their own accord, stop these charges. If not, I will file claim against them. And it WILL STOP.
I just think you and others should be made aware of the frauds/scammers, grifters, whatever.

regards,

Mike Adam

• Gi
    giga444 Oct 20, 2009

I purchased one phone reverse lookup. They started charging me 19.95 every month for what I can tell is at least 6 months back. When I bought the one lookup there was no information that they would apply this monthly sneaky fee of 19.95. I cancelled the service using their links on my account page at the site. But I sure as hell don't trust it. I worry what other charges these @$$es will suddenly try to apply.

[Resolved] personal information

I am formally requesting my name and personal information be removed from your data base. As per stated in information received from Pembroke Pines Police Department Investigations Division I am requesting I and my family members be removed from your site. It was stated and is my understanding that this request will be honored within one week and my information removed. I will be checking your site again in a week to confirm my request was honored.

I will be awaiting your answer to this e-mail.

• Resolution Statement

[Resolved] charged for what I did not order

I placed an order for 99 cents on my credit card, and a couple days later, they placed and additional charge for a purchase of $19.95 that I never ordered.

• Th
    Thomas Cawley Nov 12, 2008

The charges for 10/11 and the charge for November where not authorized by me, please stop chargeing my credit card and credit me for the two charges that I did not approve,

Thomas Cawlet

JOYCE JOHNSON Apr 29, 2009

I CANCEL MY ACCOUNT IN FEBURARY, SO MY MOMEY NEEDS TO BE PUT BACK IN MY ACCOUNT TODAY, JOYCE JOHNSON I HAVE NO CODE