HertzUnfounded charges

S Nov 23, 2020

I rent cars from hertz for work at least monthly and have for years. I can use other companies but I have never had a problem with them so I stick with them however, I rented a car over this weekend for a project and as always just went straight to the car and took off. The car smelled really bad with cleaning products but I know this is covid time so I opened the windows and went on my way. I returned the car to no one as the sign said leave the keys and go. Afterwards, I got a $400 damage bill. I called the 800 number and was told it was due to cleaning for "smoke" in the car. I do not smoke. I was told it was a local decision and there was nothing they can do. I am going to have to dispute this charge as this is my work credit card and this is bogus. I do not smoke. I am thinking it is time to change rental companies when the local company can just charge anything they want due to financial hardship and the corporate level refuses to step in. Rental information is below.
Rental Agreement - [protected]
Rental Location - Tampa, FL
Date - 2020-11-23

• Fi
    Fippy Darkpaw Nov 28, 2020

Getting hit with the same $400 charge. Non-smoker. I have also alerted the credit card company for the charge and just filed a complaint to Hertz. I even went back to the local Hertz office where I rented locally to see what the deal was. I was given lip service "the manager will review it on Monday"- today is Saturday. I'll see how that goes. I cancelled all future rentals with Hertz as a result.

Avis does a status match if you are a business traveler. I suggest looking at other rental companies and see if they offer a status match so you don't start from ground zero.