Having problems with Hertz?

Hertz Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 654 3001 (United States)
+1 800 654 3131 (USA, Canada and Puerto Rico)
+44 207 365 3369 (United Kingdom)
+61 180 055 0078 (Australia)
+64 33 586 789 (New Zealand)
+43 179 532 (Austria)
+32 27 173 207 (Belgium)
+45 33 179 057 (Denmark)
+354 522 4400 (Iceland)
+31 202 013 519 (Netherlands)
+351 219 426 385 (Portugal)
+27 112 898 001 (South Africa)
999 Vanderbilt Beach Rd Fl 3
Naples, Florida
United States - 34108-3508

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Hertz Customer Service. Initial Hertz complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Hertz above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Hertz. Discuss the issues you have had with Hertz and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Complaints & Reviews

N
Jul 11, 2019

Hertz — poor customer service

I rented a car from the hertz located at naperville east in illinois. My car is being repaired at gerald auto...

B
Jul 09, 2019

Hertz — towing charges on rental record# [protected]

This vehicle was returned early Sunday June 30, 2019. We paid a premium road service premium of 8.99 per day...

L
Jul 08, 2019

Hertz — rental car

Sorry, long message below: I recently booked a 5 day Hertz rental out of Boston Logan Airport from Expedia...

Hertzcongestion charge

We were returning the car to Hertz and took a wrong turn where we pulled over to use the maps to redirect us to Hertz and now have been charged a huge bill of 42.00 and 80.00 UK pounds is seems an exorbitant charge for returning a vehicle. Yes it may say it on your policy but to stop and then return a vehicle is ludicrous 😕😕😕rental agreement [protected] vehicle reg number GF68VX3 reference number TZ33149739 it makes you think twice about using Hertz for future

Hertzduration of reservation on credit card

I rented a car on 6 june.
    Return was 13 june at 05.00.
    There was no personal to appfove the car.
    Two days later I recieved a message, that som scratches where foun on the Fiat 500.
    Thay has been repaired by Hertz an payed by me on my creditcard.That is o.k.
    BUT
    The Reservation for the cauzion (700 euro) is still active on my creditcard.
    Up to today that is 1 month.
    That reservation limits the use of my creditcard.
    Please finalize this reservation.
    Regards, Gerard Hutting

Hertzrate overcharging

I am COL(R) Thomas J Hawes a Gold CARD MEMBER NUMBER [protected]. On May 16 at 8:30 am I made a reservation for a Mini van for pickup on July 2 at 1230 am at Boston Logan airport. Confirmation number J0333760902.Price of 860.14. On june 30 upon receiving an alert notice from Hertz about pickup I realized that while we were flying on the evening of July 2nd our actual arrival time on flight 2157 Southwest wasnt until 1230 am on July 3rd. So I immediately called reservations and asked the date be changed to July 3rd on the reservation. The price is now $1644. While I understand the rate rules I believe for such a simple mistake and that I am a loyal Hertz Gold card member that Hertz would have made the change at the original rate since mini van was still available. For two days now I have asked to speak with a customer service supervisor only to be placed on hold and never heard from anyone again. Supervisor Klemen of reservations was very helpful but unable to resolve my issue. I intend to complete the rental at the new rate and will file another official complaint once the rental is complete and I have both sets of paperwork seeking a refund. Please provide me with the name and phone number of the Vice President who has the customer service responsibility as this whole saga is not up to Hertz's normal standard. Bottom line is for a 31 min timing mistake on my part I am being charged double the cost. I intend to present this case all the way to the President of the Hertz Corporation if necessary. Thank you!!!

Hertzzo6 corvette

I was put in a bad zo6 Corvette they don't check the cars
        When return I had to take time out of my day because the car had 2 nails in it and all the tires was bad and also the brakes and I was told this after I had to take car to a shop myself it was me and my wife anniversary w
        We didn't get to do nothing but cause the place didn't have time to get the tires or the tire that had the nails in it couldn't be fix due to one nail going in at a angle I sit a a shop 2 hrs waiting on tripple A and the shop had closed so I had to wait outside I have hypertension and I hadn't ate all day due to trying to fix a problem that i was told by Hertz and employee that it's fixed but they only just put air in tires didn't actually look to see why it was going flat I could of died leaving Atlanta hartsfield airport thank God I'm still here then after I get to airport instead of letting me pick my vehicle they put me in something that I didn't want I only was accommodate for a day which was already over because I got the car late anyway i was going to rent from Hertz again on the 4th of July for my bday but they had took a 1000$ off my credit card for a car I only had one day now my bday I won't get to rent a dream car from no where due to Hertz errors and lack of care for customers I just should of stuck with renting from Enterprise

zo6 corvette

Hertzbuffalo international airport desk

I have made a valid reservation on-line for a one way car rental on June 30, 2019 12:30 AM for a one way car rental from Buffalo to Brooklyn my reservation number
          j07704743e5. When I arrived with my son to the counter we were refused to have the car rented to us. The clerk demeanor was unpleasant from the beginning and as a gold member I was hoping for more understanding and cooperation. No cooperation was provided in fact the clerk Cody who refused to give me his name started rudely asking me to leave and called a police to further intimidate us. All I wanted was for him to contact a higher authority supervisor to see how this issue can be resolved. The police did not mistreat us based on us being Jewish, but were intimidating us in terms of our displeasure with the clerk. At this time I was trying to contact national Hertz customer service to see if they can influence the local branch. Policeman asked for my ID which I provided to him immediately. While I was peacefully trying to reach the national number the policeman was standing over us giving us all kinds of irrelevant advises like to go to a different rental car company or to plan our life better and in advance seeing that we were going nowhere, we left the airport and I have gotten through to the supervisor of Hertz national reservations who introduced herself as Eds. She profusely apologized for the mistreatment we received, placed us on hold several times and returned to me saying that she spoke to the local rental place and she also made a note stating that we can now go back to pick up the vehicle. This was after 1 AM and we returned to the airport. We were waiting in line for about 30 minutes while a different clerk Abdul was extremely accommodating to another customer with a one way rental, calling and consulting with someone else, suggesting a resolution for the customer's problem, letting the customer behind the counter to look at his computer which I have made a video recording of. As
          soon as our turn came, the clerk refused to service us again, claiming that no one called them, I pleaded for him to type in my reservation and he simply refused, being cheered on by another employee Liz demanding that we step aside and proceeded to service a different customer. I called the national reservation number again and asked them to call the location. Abdul ignored the phone call with a smirk. He refused to speak with the supervisor on my phone and when I asked the national reservation supervisor to call again he picked up the phone and hung up saying no one was there. He proceeded to close down the counter and leaving with a board with dozen keys on it while I had the supervisor Liz on the speakerphone. Liz told me basically she can't do anything, but to lodge a complaint. She could not provide me with a 6 am reservation, after I asked about a partnering company reservation she told me it was going to be over $400. She could do nothing about my NY State employee contract price of $36 being matched and told me I would have to discuss it with billing after rental. Having no confidence any more in the national company who cannot control it's clerks I did not take that chance. Suddenly the call was disconnected, but Liz did not call me back even though she had my number which she asked for several times. This ordeal lasted for 3 hours. I was forced to buy a $350 plain ticket for my son and could not join him on this trip due to the cost.

Hertzunauthorized credit card charges

I called at 8 am this morning to see if I needed to vaccum out the car before my 10 am return. I live an hour away and wanted to make sure I had time. She said "no only if there is dog hair", I said we don't have a dog, she said "its fine then..." I returned the car nobody was there. Hours later I receive a text saying the car was unacceptable and next time (not this time) we would be charged. Then she said she needed to show her manager. I texted back and said that is why I called you and said and you said I didn't need to vaccum. She never responded back. We tried calling, no repsonse. We called the billing department the agent hung up on us with no resolution. We tried live chat, she said she couldn't help. This is not okay. We were on a strict travel budget and by taking 250 without our approval you are taking a weeks worth of groceries from our family. We would have vaccumed out the the car if she told us a little mess is ok but anything other then that you needto vaccum. However nichole did not. Then to get hung up on, is just unacceptable

Hertz Rental Carincorrectly charged for return of rental car

I turned in my Hertz rental car on June 7, 5:06 a.m. at the Birmingham International Airport (Birmingham, Alabama) as stipulated in my rental agreement. I asked the woman who checked it in if there were any additional charges, and she said no, I was good to go. So I was anticipating a bill of $159.03. When I got my credit card bill, I had been charged $184.67. I called the Hoover office where I had picked up the car, and he saw that I had been charged $25 for not turning it in until 8:30--which was an error. My flight left at 6:30 a.m. and the car was turned into Hertz at 5:06. He said I would have to call the airport office for an adjustment. So I called the number he gave me (several times) and got a message that the system was down, pleases call back; the line was busy; no one ever answered. I called the corporate customer service line several times and each time received an automated message that the system is down. This is ridiculous.

Hertzvan rental

Reservation Number - J06528635F8
                Dawn Kelley
                [protected]

First we reserved the van on your website for a specific amount and when we arrived we were given a different price. This was the insurance that was quoted at $24.99 and yet when we arrived it was $29.99. Then we ask to have the name on the reservation changed because I was going to drive the van not my wife. She set up the reservation under her name but was not worried about that because changing the name would be super easy right. Nope!! We are then told that to have the name changed we would have to cancel this reservation and make another reservation and we would not get the same rate. I fell that the reason you guys do this is because if someone decides to have the other person drive you get to charge us a $13.50 fee to add another driver. In my opinion this is a scam and it makes you dishonest. on top of that you would not allow the credit card that was initially used to pay the online amount an American Express Because the card presented was under my name not my wifes. Even though she also has the same american express card but did not bring it because why would she you accepted the card the first time she paid. So since you would not accept the card that was accepted when the van was booked we had to use our debit card which means you pull a credit report on anyone who pays for a rental with a debit card. Again scams. Have you gotten so big you fell that you can do what ever you want and to hell with everyone ?

HertzRipped off

Officially filing a complaint: hertz car rental. I rented a car from hertz on my last trip to mn. May 21st thru may 30th. Pre-paid, to "save money" waited for 50 minutes while someone "brought it to the location." by the way, i'm a "gold plus member" was told that "something was wrong with my credit card" had to give them another card (I pre-paid and it already showed up on my credit card bill) still waiting... Got the car. Took the car back before the due back time on the 30th. There was a sign on the door stating the agent stepped out, "if you are returning the car, leave the keys at the front desk." (this was a hertz rental inside a marriott in edina) went to the front desk, asked the guy if they are connected to hertz and can I leave the keys? Parked the car in the hertz parking space in the parking lot.
                  Got a letter yesterday from hertz stating, I needed to contact them immediately or they were going to report the car stolen. Called them immediately, was on the phone 30 minutes. Agent told me I had not returned the car. Told him that was not correct...:) and told him what happened. He said "ok, we'll check into it and if we can find out what happened, we'll correct it in the system."
                  I received an email today with an additional charge on my credit card of $475.30. Called hertz again. Got a female agent this time. Asked her if there were notes on my account so that I wouldn't have to repeat the whole situation again. She said, no, so I went thru the whole story again. She cut me off and said "you left the car keys with a guy in the hotel???!!!" I corrected her what was seemingly trying to set me up accusation. Keep in mind, I received the letter yesterday, on the 17th, I called the first time on the 17th. As of yesterday, I was told the car still had not been returned. The email I received today said the rental was from may 21st to june 13th, 3 weeks and 2 extra days.in addition, the statement said I had driven the car 3, 080 miles (in 9 days) the only distance that I drove was from edina, mn to west des moines, ia. Which is approximately 500 miles, roundtrip. Sooooooo... Forget the fact that I would have to have been one driving fool, literally could have gone from the east to coast to west coast with that amount of miles but where did they come up with the date of return on june 13th???
                  I asked to speak to a manager, that lady told me that I could not, that a supervisor would call me in 24 hours. She kept putting me on hold for lengthy intervals before she would answer my questions. I told her this was bs, I knew she was talking to a manager right then, she denied but came off hold while a guy was still talking. She kept cutting me off and then said a supervisor would call me in 24 to 48 hours!! While actually laughing the whole time... I recorded the entire conversation ;) please pass the word hertz car rental are crooks!!! Your thoughts???

Ripped off

Hertzbroke down car and they charged me for it

Although both customer service agents I worked with in Gulfport were extremely nice, the actual customer service sucked. Our 1st issue...didn't get the original car I even ordered. No big deal it would do. 2nd issue...after 800 miles away from home, luckily at a vacation spot, the car engine light turns on and keeps dying. Had the HARDEST time exchanging it. But eventually got a new rental. Hertz charged ME $157 to exchange it. Than charged me their $10 a gallon refuel fee, IT BROKE DOWN! Than I needed to extend my rental...customer service was the WORSE NO HELP. So I called where I rented it from. Lady was nice but completely misinformed me. She made it sound as though my rental was going to cost $215 just like I had paid for first week. Put that all a side...I check my account this morning and they took $468 MORE out. I got charged $64 concession fee because I had to return it to a different location because it BROKE DOWN. $60 late fee for renting longer...on top of the $305 for the extra week. Not to mention 317 deposit...that they went return...so an original rental of $215 turned into almost $700...I don't rent from them often and I clearly won't ever again!!!

Hertz UKcar rental damage claim

We arrived to pick up the vehicle in Inverness Scotland, the Hertz representative instructed us to review the vehicle's exterior for defects such as dents and scratches; there were no exterior defects identified upon our initial inspection. During the initial hour of use, the driverside sunvisor fell from the interior headliner when attempting to unfold; it was clear that the sunvisor was not secured properly to the interior headliner. Upon returning the vehicle, we notified the Hertz representative of the situation in which he stated we would be liable for the damage. IN contacting Hertz customer service (proactively), I have attached the Damage Appraisal Report referencing his assessment.

Upon reviewing the Honda installation manual for this vehicle, the instructions specify that a tool would be required to remove a sunvisor, which leads us to believe the vehicle was damaged prior to us taking possession and the sunvisor was incorrectly re-installed.

Having previously used Hertz, it was surprising how a company representative would make such an assessment of liability given the following:
                      1. We were directed by a Hertz representative to evaluate the exterior portion of the vehicle. Even if she had asked to evaluate the interior portion, would Hertz expect their customers to test every mechanical or functional item? This seems unrealistic.
                      2. The Honda installation manual states that a tool is required to remove a sunvisor from their vehicles.

Prior to this incident, we were content using Hertz for our car rentals, at least in the US; however, based on this experience, we WILL NEVER use Hertz for future rentals anywhere they rent vehicles. We wrote a letter to their damage collections department to discuss their GBP 177.26 charge and was surprised by their response: they would not rescind.

Never again.

Hertzunethical behavior

On June 4, 2019 I picked up a rental car from the Hertz facility in Plainfield, Illinois 60585. Facility Plainfield - South Route 59 HLE 11914 South Route 59, Plainfield, Illinos 60585. The branch manager, Jason Skores did hand off the vehicle. While doing so, he made a sarcastic remark concerning my wife, being a control freak. I am not a sensitive person and let it pass. However, your branch manager, Jason Skores should not use derogatory terms while speaking about your customers. This is not good customer service. I believe this matter should be addressed. He should be REPIMANDED or REMOVED from this facility.

Hertzcar rental

I rented a minivan for a family vacation for 2 weeks. I realized I could not pick the car up on Saturday before noon and called and said I needed to pick it up on Monday instead (because they are closed on Sunday). I was still going to return the car on the same date. Because it was more than 24 hours (because they are closed on Sunday), I had to change the reservation. I said fine, change the date from Saturday to Monday with the same drop off day (so instead of renting it for 14 days, I would rent it for 12 days. The informed me that it would then cost $200 more! To rent it for 2 less day! Because that is a system generated amount and depends on availability. I said, of course its available. It was available on Saturday, why would it not be available on Monday? It is closed on Sunday! And I was willing to pay the same amount for 2 less days but NOT $200 more! I cancelled the reservation, which also cost me $50 but better than $200.

Hertzbeing denied the use of my hertz vouchers as a form of payment at the rental location

Upon returning rental to Natchitoches location the angent would not allowed me to use any on the vouchers to assist with payment.His statement was since i had paid for the car with my credit card in advance he had no way to allow the use of the voucher. i would like to use these vouchers to assist with the payment and have my credit card refunded the amount of the vouchers. Prior to booking the car i spoke with a coustomer service rep insuring me that i could use the vouchers upon return of the vehicle.

Hertzrental car charges in ireland

Reservation #H93221264C0
                              Pick-up: April 18, 2019 @ Dublin Airport (Ireland)
                              Drop-off: April 26th, 2019 @ Dublin Airport (Ireland)
                              Standard automatic vehicle rental
                              -Experience with Hertz in Ireland was disastrous. Reserved car through Hertz website and was quoted 364.28 Euros for the rental due at time of pick-up. Price quoted in Ireland by extremely discourteous lady was triple that as she proceeds to tell my daughter that it is for insurance coverage. Hertz NEVER stated that insurance coverage was to be included in the price she was quoted. In fact, it was originally quoted to her as "optional insurance", KNOWING she was traveling international. The charge on my credit card ended up being three times expected, over $1200. RIDICULOUS. Seems unethical and quite frankly a bit short of scandalous. Both my daughter and I would like immediate attention and resolve to this situation and am prepared to take further action if needed.
                              Mary Kay Padgett

Hertzgas

I rented a vechical from Hertz on June 3 2019 with 8/8 tank of gas in it and returned it on June 8 2019 with 8/8 tank of gas. But they charged me $49.00 for gas, which is incorrect, because i returned it with the same amout of that wsin it when i rented it. My RR # is [protected]. I have enclosed a copy of my receipt as well. My name is Greta Squire and my # is [protected] is there is need to contact me.

gas

R
                                  Jun 05, 2019

Hertz — rent a car

HERTZ just robbed me now almost $1500 !!! BE CAREFUL: HERTZ is incredibly fraudulent. I've been robbed...