Having problems with Hertz?

Hertz reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 17, 2006. The latest review Herrz did not honor a reservation was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint $400 cleaning fee for smoking (I'm a non-smoker) was resolved on Nov 28, 2020. Hertz has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 1003 reviews. Hertz has resolved 122 complaints.

Hertz Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 654 3001 (United States)
+1 800 654 3131 (USA, Canada and Puerto Rico)
+44 207 365 3369 (United Kingdom)
+61 180 055 0078 (Australia)
+64 33 586 789 (New Zealand)
+43 179 532 (Austria)
+32 27 173 207 (Belgium)
+45 33 179 057 (Denmark)
+354 522 4400 (Iceland)
+31 202 013 519 (Netherlands)
+351 219 426 385 (Portugal)
+27 112 898 001 (South Africa)
999 Vanderbilt Beach Rd Fl 3
Naples, Florida
United States - 34108-3508

Hertz Complaints & Reviews

Hertza false damage claim

I received a damage claim in the mail here recently. The letter said that I had an accident with a Hertz rental vehicle. The Hertz Claim # is [protected] in the amount of $2162.87 with a rental date 05/03/17. I would like to see more evidence concerning this matter. I want pictures, what city was the rental, and what credit card was used to place the rental. Frankly, I don't rent from Hertz, because I have a membership with Dollar Rentals. I know that this is a mistake; I have not been in any car accidents during this period. Also, I would like to know with whom did I have this accident with. What people was involved and when was the accident reported.

Hertzrental of gps unit in spain

I am writing to detail a recent rental of vehicle and GPS from Hertz from Sept 17 to Sept 24, 2018. I picked up the vehicle in Madrid, Spain along with a GPS unit. Unfortunately, the GPS did not work properly for the 8 day trip to Barcelona with stops in 8 different cities. The unit did indicate it was 40 months out of date a few times when turned on and would continually send us in circles while trying to recalculate. The directions also instructed us to turn where there were no streets and also to turn onto one way streets. This was not only dangerous but ended up costing more wasted time than required to find our destination. The experience was very frustrating.

To make matters worse, when I returned the vehicle and GPS to Hertz in Barcelona, I was informed that I was being charged 170 euros for the unit. This was NOT explained to me when I signed the original contract. I asked the agent in Madrid if everything was included in my rental since I pre-paid and he indicated that it was. If I had know of the high rate, I would have pre-purchased a GPS on my own.

Needless to say, I am seeking compensation for the non-functioning unit that I paid for.

If this matter cannot be resolved at this level, please indicate whom I may forward my experience to.

Hertztaking advantage of the weather situation in myrtle beach sept 11 2018

I do not believe that a nissan sentra car rental is $408.99 on an average day. You took advantage of people and the situation that we had no control of . If this isn't price gouging I don't know what is. We took your car out of harms way and you screwed us for it. We returned the car 15 hours early and were told our refund would only be $15 dollars. We have told many others about your scam and have decided to look for other companies for future needs We come to myrtle beach every year and it is sad to see us and others being taken for a ride. After losing our money for our flight we feel you just added to this very stressful situation. Patrick Kiley rental record # [protected]

• Updated by patrick james · Sep 26, 2018

sept 11 2018 Patrick Kiley rental record #[protected]. I find it impossible to believe that a nissan sentra car cost $408.99 a day to rent, anywhere. This is what we were charged at the myrtle beach airport on Sept.11 18. If this is not price gouging I don't know what is. Due to the weather that no one could do anything about except get away from. We took your car out of harms way and got screwed for it. Taking advantage of myself and others at the time of an emergency evacuation seems so greedy. We come to myrtle beach every year and have decided to look elsewhere for future rentals. We have shared our story with many others and they agree. We lost our money for our flight and then got gouged by your company. After returning the car 15 hours early we were told we might get $15 back as a refund. Wow!

• Updated by patrick james · Sep 26, 2018

got screwed

AntiHertz Sep 28, 2018

I’m not sure if it’s a corporate issue or an issue with humanity...but when someone is in trouble, wouldn’t you want to help? Wouldn’t you want to be the light and smile in someone’s day rather than a swift kick to the gut while someone is down? It killed my soul to ask for help in a situation that HERTZ took advantage of and have the counter person wave me off and say Oh my manager, or Oh the guys at corporate, Oh it was those guys that did it so it’s not my problem. Wow, Hertz. I will say that I will never use or refer anyone to this company. As disappointed, let down, and even angry as I am; this experience makes me appreciate good people and good companies even more, like Enterprise who helped us tremendously.

Hertz — used car sales

I have been trying for over a week to complete a car sale for my son in Calif. The assistant manager at the...

Hertzno customer service skills and taxed my bill 100% (total cost) for fuel charges.

I reserved a full size car at Ferndale, MI. They were out so I was sent to Royal Oak Hertz. Walked in Greg thought I was a porter (no problems with porters). He stated it will be a minute, then, "pick it up outside your all set". I drove off with 3/4 tank of gas . returned same, Angela" leave keys If you don't need receipt" Fuel Fee Charged as if I didn't return it the same way. Neither Greg nor Angela got up to walk outside to go over the vehicle. They didn't go over anything let alone fuel, the only interactions I had outside was with the car washer. I am a Gold Member, I rent frequently I know how to return a vehicles gas level. It being obvious I even took a photo of the mileage and gas hand. I did call customer service and they stated it would be a refund. But I will never go to that Hertz location ever again.

Hertzhertz representative inappropriate behavior.

Confirmation # H71645985B9 I had a reservation to pick up a car at 8 am on Fri sept. 21, at Hertz 23701 Kean st., Dearborn mi. At 8 am on Friday a Hertz representative from that location called me and said they did not have the car I reserved. I asked if they had a similar size car and he said he may or may not. I asked him how can this happen since I reserved the car several days ago. He immediately became defensive and told me to relax and take a deep breath. I was extremely surprised by his disrespectful behavior and did not know what to say. He continued non- stop with condescending remarks interrupting me and not allowing me to speak. He never answered my question, if he had a car available, just kept commenting on how I should stop by and we can both smile take a deep breath and he will do his best to accommodate me, so I can then go on and have a wonderful God blessed weekend--his words not mine. This behavior was extremely unprofessional and I had no choice but to cancel my reservation since this person was completely irrational to work with. I then had to find another car at the same time I was suppose to leave for my trip. I am very angry with Hertz on how they can ruin a persons weekend trip that I have been planning for over 6 months with no consideration of the problems they created for me. If Hertz did not want my business they never should have taken my reservation or canceled it days before so I could find another car.

Hertzrental experience

I placed my rental last week around the 15th with Hertz. I requested and reserved a Mazda CX-5 for a pick-up location in Fayetteville NC for 0930 Friday September 21 and a drop off location for FAY Airport in Fayetteville for 1700 on Sunday. My flight to NC was cancelled last minute and reschedule for Friday morning the 21. Immediately Thursday night I called Hertz and changed my rental reservation time to 1130 Friday September 21 to reflect my new flights. No problem. I arrive at FAY and call Hertz on Raeford Rd to tell them I'm on my way and the gentleman on the phone told me that he was sorry that he did not have a vehicle for me. I told him I didn't understand because I just called to check the reservation the night before. He said it was against Hertz Policy to inform a guest ahead of time if the are out of Vehicles. (Even though I called 2 times before the pickup time). His recommendation was to call the airport location and "hope" they can have a vehicle. I get to the airport and was able to get a vehicle 3 hours later and had to fight with the manager to give me the same price as originally discussed. I know I'm just one person in a huge organization but the incompetence of this company caused me to miss a rehearsal dinner for a wedding. As a service memeber in the US Army we don't have a lot of time off. The fact that I was unable to attend something so precious is outrageous because of the lack of knowledge and respect for your consumers. This however is not where the story ends. On our way to the rehearsal dinner in Harrisonburg VA (that we didn't make) at about 2100 we were traveling at about 35-40 mph and hit a vulture. This completely shattered the driver side windshield. Knowing there was nothing we could do, we decided to contact the insurance and Hertz in the morning. There is a Hertz in Harrionsburg about 30 minutes from where we were staying. I call the manager and explain what happen and ask him if he can meet us to exchange the vehicle because it was not fit to drive long distances. I also reached out to USAA and filed claim, contacted every local windshield repair company within 50 miles (none could help). The manager told me that there was nothing he could do for me and I would have to drive 1.5 hours away to Charlottesville VA to exchange the car at the Charlottesville Airport. I tried to explain to the manager that it was too dangerous to drive that far without a windshield. He didn't care and said he was about to close and there was nothing he could do. He suggested we tow the vehicle the distance. Regardless of the fact at how dangerous it is to recommend that someone drive that far without a wildshield is completely neglectful and terrible just as a person. I am so disappointed in the service that I received from this company. I just can't believe how a company this big can treat people this poorly.

Hertzsidewalk hazard | unkept | care in accident situation

Saturday 11:20am 9/22/18 I went to pick up my reserved rental car. I wanted to check that the USB port in the car worked before they completed the contract. As I'd recently rented a Hertz car in LA and went through 5 cars on the Gold lot before I found a working USB port in the care.

I walked through the door to the outside and turned left and slipped and fell as there was the sand on the painted sidewalk surface - which made the surface slippery. I hit the ground breaking the fall somewhat with my left hand. My cell phone flew out of my hand and the glass shattered when it hit the ground.

The staff were new and did not know what to do.

Eventually I was able to speak with Brad Smith [protected].

A report was filled out and completed by Joe Gatewood.

I can provide pictures.

My husband got one of the staff to sweep the sidewalk.

The care in handling the situation could have much been improved. Not hatted on what to do.

I have been a Hertz customer for a while. Process wise - moment of truth in the customer journey the care, professionalism, speed would not get high scores.

Hertz Car Rentalthe payment was not explained to me properly, on how payments would be deducted from my account.

It wasn't explained to me that there will be a hold on payments. When I ask their sales rep that help me get the car rental. He told me that was taken out of my account. So it's my understanding the money was taken out of my account. I didn't know that they would hold the payment and then take the total amount out of my account. So when I go in my account, my account was overdrawn. It was explained to me that they will hold the money until the end and take the whole amount out. All I want is my account to be restored back tomorrow I'm okay with on them out but I just didn't like how it was done that it was not explained to me properly.

Hertz 3601 Hillsborough Rd Durham NC — hertz rental location poor customer service

On Sept. 19, 2018 I filed a claim with my insurance company for damage to my vehicle. State Farm sent me to...

Hertzrental car

Rented a car 08/17/18 at 111 Driver's Way, Hardeeville, SC. The young man who waited on my son was not professional at all, first of all came rushing into the office exactly at 8:00 am, hardly acknowledge that we were there! Did not ask if we needed additional drivers, insurance, or anything. Just gave him the keys. He went outside, snapped a few pictures of the car, then went back inside. The car was filthy! Sand and dirt everywhere. We were heading to Springfield, Illinois, on the way up there we noticed the brakes on the car were making noises and having a hard time stopping. We waited a couple of days, then when the car would NOT STOP, I traded the hunk of junk in Springfield, and received another car. We were happy with this car, clean and roomy. On our way home, the AC went out! My Mom gets quite ill when she is hot, and it was a miserable 13 hours in the car! We have always rented from Enterprises and have never had a problem. We rented from your company and had 2 horrible cars. Needless to say, we are NOT impressed with Hertz and will never rent a car from you again. Bad customer service from the beginning, then 2 broken cars. I feel we should get some kind of compensation for all the trouble we went through.

Sincerely,
                  Steven Abernathy

• Updated by Cindy Abernathy · Sep 19, 2018

Sincerely,
                      Steven Abernathy

Hertz — lost and found returning of items

The international drive location in Orlando Florida has been dodging our calls and giving us the run around...

Hertz Car Rental — refund

On sept 8 2018 I rented a car from the buffalo airport, I drove to Jamestown NY. The next day I needed to...

Hertz — rental car

I was told to send this email to customer Relations because of the discrepancy with my bill. I rented car on...

Hertzdissatisfied with the manager

My dad and I were at Hertz Rental Car (6608 Hwy 6 N Houston, Tx 77084) renting a vehicle the manager named Michelle Dune was really unprofessional talking to other customers while processing a vehicle my dad was asking her questions about the car we reserved online which was suppose to be a nissan sedan because we looked at the vehicle in the back parking lot and she told us it was a kia soul and she was going to bring the car around the front of the building we went outside waiting and went back in the building she was assistanting other customers she had another employee to bring the vehicle around the front we were very disturbed by her negative energy and this is the second time I had this encounter with her something needs to be done about this because I'm taking my business somewhere else until she is removed from this location.

dissatisfied with the manager

Hertz Rent A Car — weekly rental at hertz phoenix, az. substandard customer service

Dated 09/07/2018. Eleven days ago, I was approved as a new driver for Lyft. Lyft has a program where they...

Hertzfalse return date and false return method

I picked up my Hertz rental car at Lyon France airport Saint Exupery on 8/19/18 at 2:30PM( receipt available)
                      I informed the agent that I may return the car earlier and at a different location, "no problem.
                      I returned the car on 8/26/18 at 6:55 PM. Earlier I tried to return the car at the address indicated on the car's GPS but the location was closed.
                      I then went to the Gare station where I parked at the Hertz location next to a Hertz van at spot -1 125.
                      I then went up to the Hertz office where two agent looks at my contract, made a note and gave it back to me. I asked for a receipt and was told it was not necessary, but no time to argue, they could not wait to leave.
                      I stayed near Toulon until August 29th when I took the train to Paris at 11:48 AM.
                      On the August 31 I took a train from Paris to London England at 10:10 AM.
                      Obviously I could not return the car at 8:30 AM in Toulon and take a train in Paris at 10:10 AM
                      I have copies of the train tickets but do not know how to attach to this form but they are available if you provide me with an email that I could use to send the copies.
                      I expect to receive a reimbursement for both the 4-5 days for which I did not have the car and for the Euro350 charge for having abandoned the car which I did not

• Updated by michel zelnik · Sep 07, 2018

I picked up a car at the Hertz location at the Lyon France airport saint Exupery on August19 at 2:30 PM. I informed the agent that I may return the car earlier and at a different location, He said "no problem"
                          I returned the car on August 26 instead of August 31 as I originally planned in Toulon at 6:55PM at the Gare station after trying to return it at the location the car GPS indicated which was closed.
                          I parked the car at the Hertz return location at the train station level-1 space 125 and took the key to the Hertz office where I handed my contract to an agent and his partner. I asked for a receipt but he told me that it was not necessary and could not wait to get out since the office was supposed to close at 7PM.
                          O August 31 I received an email from Hertz with a detailed description of my rental where it states that I abandoned the car on August 31.
                          I took a train to Paris on August 29th and another train to London England on August31 at 10:10 AM which would make it impossible for me to have returned the car at 8AM on the same day.
                          I am attaching copies of the Tain tickets, the rental agreement and the Hertz summery indicating that the car was abandoned on the August 31.
                          I would appreciate a quick reimbursement for the 4-5 days that I did not have the car and the Euro 350 charge for car ABANDONMENT.

• Updated by michel zelnik · Sep 07, 2018

/Users/michelzelnik/Desktop/Voici vos billets d’Eurostar!.eml/Users/michelzelnik/Desktop/HERTZ.pdf/Users/michelzelnik/Desktop/Confirmation pour votre voyage TOULON - PARIS, aller le 29 août 2.eml/Users/michelzelnik/Desktop/Votre relevé détaillé des frais facturés.eml

Hertzhertz phuket thailand airport branch - unnecessary charge for damage on tyre

Recently I hired a car for 1 day from Hertz Phuket - Airport Branch
                        Car No : 6A72464 Date 25th August 2018

When I returned the car they Showed me a lot of damages and charged me
                        Thai Bhat 3000 for the damage on tyre.
                        I don't agree with this as when I took the car the person asked me to
                        check the fuel and any damages on the Body and never asked me to check
                        the Tyre (Same is the case at other Hertz outlet in other parts of the
                        world). I have taken cars from hetrz multiple times in past in
                        Thailand as well as Malaysia and never faced such issue
                        The scratch on tyre was already present .

I think that the Management at Hertz Phuket Airport office are Conning
                        and Cheating the tourists in the same way like other local Bike and
                        car rental services do in Phuket.

See Below my Observation when i went to return the car .
                        1. The person who came to check the car was already having the
                        Inspection Slip from previous rental.
                        2. He already had the document which showed the damage cost to be
                        recovered in different situations
                        3. On the Body of the car he showed me dust and said they are
                        scratches and asked me to pay for it, and when i removed the dust,
                        then he agreed that no scratches.
                        4. Then they found a scratch on the tyre and asked me to pay Thai Bhat
                        3000 for it.
                        5. I asked to call the manager, and talked with her, but when i told
                        her all these details, she said she cant do much as she is on
                        Holiday.
                        6. I asked them about the Insurance cover and they mentioned that it
                        is only Third Party Insurance. As the time of pickup they never
                        mentioned about third party insurance
                        they said for any damage minimum 2000 and maximum 10000 i will have to pay

To me this is cheating and unnecessary they have charged in THB 3000 for it.
                        I demand a explanation on this and my refund as well.

Hertz — prepaid rental denied at hertz counter in toronto

Upon arriving at the Hertz rental counter at the Toronto airport Terminal 1 on Aug 23rd, 2018, I was refused...

Hertz — refusal to honor prepaid reservation - horrendous customer service

In July 2018, an American friend of mine named Grete X[*] booked a car on the Hertz website, at a total...