Enterprise Holdings/AlamoFraudulent car rental damage claim

B Jan 21, 2020 Review updated:

The resolution I want is a genuine "Loss Damage Report" with photos and employee/body shop witness statements, not a generic unattributed damage claim of "Passenger Front Door: Dent-dent right front door" with "Incident Details: advised to create claim to pass door". I need to be able to submit a proper claim to my insurance companies. Proper resolution would also involve letting my body guy examine the car to document the purported "damage" (I contend there was not any damage, and certainly not any damage that occurred while the vehicle was in my possession), then getting car repaired and back on the road ASAP to limit the continuing and additionally bogus "loss of use" claim that will allegedly be accruing.

Enterprise uses these complaint forums to pretend they are helping the customer. For instance, at another site my complaint is marked "resolution pending" even though Enterprise is doing nothing at all to resolve my complaint. Alamo (an Enterprise company) has verbally claimed I put a "ripple" in the passenger door of a rental car (for which, if I "did it", I have insurance -- but they refuse to provide the information necessary to pursue a claim). They refuse to allow my body guy access to the vehicle to verify the "damage", refuse to provide any photos or proof of damage, refuse to put me in touch with anyone who can resolve the problem. I have multiple responses from [email protected] -- none of which actually respond to anything and some of which ask me for information that is actually in the prior email and email subject line. I have spoken to Tucson Alamo manager Mark Damon (the location where they didn't give me the "Rental Agreement Jacket" with all the contract terms in it -- and Enterprise continues to withold it). He finally contacted me a week after the rental. He says he can't assist and can't put me in touch with anyone who can. Their "Social Media" team has assured me I should follow the "advice" the Tucson manager gave me, based on reviewing his comments in my data file. (But, he did not give me any "advice" nor provide any steps toward resolution at all except for assigning a claim #). I have sent faxes to Tucson Alamo - both managers Pamela Swango and Mark Damon, Clayton J. Thornton, regional manager in Ontario where I returned the vehicle (and the branch making the bogus claim) and to their "Damage Recovery Unit" -- with no response from any of them except for the Tucson manager (who didn't know about my fax, didn't have any useful information for me, didn't explain what prompted his call, and didn't follow through on sending me the information he implied he would be sending). He did tell me the vehicle is on "litigation hold" -- meaning, I assume, that Alamo is building a large "loss of use" claim for what is, at best, extremely minor damage (or, as I contend, no damage at all). Any reasonable business would work with me to file my insurance claim and get the car back on the road ASAP. Enterprise, however, wants to send a "message" that customers need to buy their overpriced damage waiver, which I did not. So, their vehicle return system and their phalanx of customer service representatives are all there expressly to prevent the customer from resolving the damage claim in a reasonable and expeditious fashion. Moreover, it is my opinion that I was switched to the specific vehicle from the one I reserved for the explicit purpose of having a "ripple" in the door with no scratches, dings or other marks, so that receiving it in a dimly lit parking garage, I would have no opportunity to notice the "ripple". Which, BTW, I could not see even when it was purportedly pointed out to me. At worst, there might be a prior poorly done door repair job. My claim # is [protected]. My RA# is [protected]. My RES # is [protected]. My Allianz claim # is [protected]. I don't know if I can include a link, but I have detailed everything at my own blog: http://daltrey.org/b2evo1/blog7.php. There are no photos -- and Tucson Manager Damon assures me that neither Tucson nor Ontario took any photos of the damage (although Ontario told me at return that they would have to "check with Tucson" for photos of the vehicle before making their claim; and an online customer service rep. told me Tucson "has cameras" and will have documented the vehicle condition upon my receipt of it. Via another site, Enterprise "Social Monitoring" person Carol H. has told me to "follow the advice" of Mr. Damon -- but he didn't give me any advice, in fact he said that he could not assist and he could not put me in touch with anyone who can assist. I was told by phone customer service that I would be receiving a call from the "regional team", which has never contacted me; later telling me that the "regional team" takes care of matters "in the order in which they are received", which implies they have far more complaints than they have staff to deal with the complaints. On the other hand, Mr. Damon said the regional team cannot tell me anything different from what he has told me, and that resolution must come from the damage recovery unit -- for which he has no contact information (and the damage recovery unit has not responded to my faxes). Other online complaints suggest that the damage recovery unit routinely waits a month or more and then sends out unexpected and undocumented "damage" claims, thereafter sending the claim out to a collection agency to harass any customer who actually expects some proof that the damage occurred. All presumably based on the terms of a contract they have refused to provide me, with a company that is almost certainly not the same one running the damage recovery unit (as far as I can tell, the Tucson and Ontario branches are not the same legal entity).

But, it's not even possible to track down what legal entity or entities I am dealing with and the employees apparently don't know either -- although "Enterprise Holdings" is allegedly a $25 billion a year company and the largest rental "company", through its Alamo, National and Enterprise subsidiaries. I will walk if I have to rather than do business with this company ever again. This system suggests uploading documents -- I have fax receipts for all of my documents, but as far as I can tell no one at Enterprise ever actually reads them (Damon did not know I had faxed his branch). If Enterprise wants to provide me with some other fax number or secure document drop location, I will gladly provide them with additional copies -- though asking for redundant information appears to be one of their delay/harassment tactics, despite being able to look up my transaction based on my last name.

RESOLVED

• Updated by Barrington of Riverside · Jan 21, 2020

Shortly after I posted this complaint (or perhaps while I was preparing it) I received an email from Nicola A. Cordell ("Nikki Cordell") of Risk Management, Enterprise Holdings, LLC, Phoenix in response to my Evidence Preservation Demand indicating "We have reviewed the claim. Alamo will be closing the claim and not pursuing this matter further". She states that she is attaching a formal written letter (not attached) and faxing it to me (but faxed instead to a fax number I don't recognize which may be one of their own). In addition, she references claim #VX50X109K, which bears no resemblance to the claim number [protected] provided to me in the "Accident Report Summary as of 01/20/2020 19:31" by Tucson manager Mark Damon. So ... resolved, or NOT resolved? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Jan 22, 2020

Barrington of Riverside, I assure you it's never our intention to inconvenience you. Please see my response to your review. For your records, the incident id is [protected]. Thank you! - Carol H.

• Updated by Barrington of Riverside · Jan 27, 2020

I did get this resolved (I think). It took over 60 email/fax/phone communications commencing 1/14 through 1/22 and Alamo never did provide any proof of their "damage" claim -- verbally stated at vehicle turn-in to be a "ripple" in the passenger door. The communications in response to these online complaint websites are nothing but corporate "image management" and no effort is made to put the customer in touch with anyone who can document or resolve the made-up damage claim. "Customer Service" at Alamo apparently is dedicated to preventing customers from being able to communicate with anyone who can document or resolve the alleged damage claim. As far as I can tell, the procedure is to have the "Damage Recovery Unit" ambush the customer with an undocumented damage claim a month or so after the rental. At some point an Alamo manager from Tucson called me, apparently in response to my request made many days earlier on 1/14. (Tucson Alamo management had apparently overlooked and/or disregarded my earlier fax directly to them.) I had requested contact from Tucson because Ontario Alamo had stated they couldn't decide whether to make a damage claim until they reviewed vehicle condition from the location that rented me the vehicle. The Tucson manager had no information to provide me, confirmed there were no pictures taken at Tucson or at Ontario -- and admitted no one had even noticed my faxed "Evidence Preservation Demand" from days earlier. He did put me on lengthy hold a couple of times and stated he had been looking on his co-manager's desk for something (apparently my fax, which was directed to her, though he did not say that). While he assured me he could not put me in touch with anyone who could address or resolve the claim, the length of time I was on hold suggests to me that he was calling his own supervisor(s). In any event, Phoenix "risk management" responded to my evidence preservation demand the following day and agreed Alamo would not be pursuing a damage claim. Getting the right answer (or actually, any answer) on this was hugely time-consuming and completely negated the value of my having rented the vehicle in the first place (and then some). Among other things, I had to close my credit card account (and move a lot of auto-pays, etc.) to avoid the risk of Alamo simply charging my credit card for their undocumented and unilaterally imposed damage claim, something their contract would appear to allow them to do. Legislators should do something about this, such as require car rental companies to do a photo-documented walk-around at rental and at return, with any damage claims itemized in writing, signed by a car rental employee and acknowledged (or acknowledged and disputed) by the customer. I anticipate I will be writing my legislators to make this request and it will help if others do so too.

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Feb 19, 2020

• Ta
    Tara Shea Roe Jan 08, 2021

We just received one of these letters from their damage recovery unit. There was nothing wrong with the car when it was returned from a three hour one way rental Tallahassee to Jacksonville. Can't wait for them to say it was "under carriage damage" seems like a favorite of theirs. They provide no info/photos with their correspondence just want a credit card number or insurance agent info. What a money making SCAM.

• Alamo Rent A Car Jan 12, 2021

@Tara Shea Roe Tara Shea Roe, we've noted your comments. Please contact the Damage Recovery team directly at [protected] or by email at [email protected] Thank you! – Carol H.

• Re
    ReneP Feb 18, 2020

This is almost exactly what we are going through right now. I have been trying to contact Bethany Felix at Alamo who is handling the claim. I have several emails and phone call messages to her with no returns. They have already threatened us with lawyer fees and sending us to collections. And all without viewing the video documentation we have of damage on the vehicle before we drove it off the rental lot. Thankfully I was able to video record damage on the vehicle that was already there. Date stamped on video footage. All we have asked for is better pictures than the poor quality copies they sent us.
    I see several complaints similar to this online. It’s sad to think how a huge company like this takes advantage of its (prior)loyal customers. They have also stated, in a letter to me, that I will not be able to rent from Alamo, Enterprise until this matter is settled. No need for that statement. Settled or not, I, nor my family or friends will never rent from them ever again.

• Alamo Rent A Car Feb 19, 2020

@ReneP ReneP, we’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to [email protected] include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. - Carol H.