Complaints & Reviews

[Resolved] alamo santo domingo dr

Rented a car in santo domingo for 3 weeks and 6 days conformation # 1924794878count. The quote was $217.04...

Santo Domingo Car Rental

[Resolved] the rent of a car

I rented a car on the internet, to be exact an SUV, one we got to Greenville SC's Alamo/ rent a car the lady there said that the SUV was not available so we ended up with a Chevy Malibu. Pretty good car but not an SUV, she said if we wanted an SUV it was $11 more. We agree to pay for gas upfront, when we got back to return the car we notice extra charges of more than $40. When we asked then, they said it was for the extra gas and the additional driver. Not to mention a few extra $$$ in taxes as well. They did offer the extra driveway but never said we had to pay extra for it. Even though I used 3/4 of a tank, they were charging me for a full tank. It wasn't before an unpleasant argument that they decided to give me credit for the 1/4 tank of gas. I will never rent with Alamo or National again and I suggest you to do the same or at least check your contract very well because there are a lot of things they will put there without disclosing it with, then when you find out, it's to late.

Osvaldo García jr
    we appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences. I assure you that it's never our intention to inconvenience our customers. We would like to speak with you further. Please email [email protected] with your contact information, exact rental office location, rental contract information and the details above so we can address this. Thank you. – Carol H.

[Resolved] car rental

I rented a car at columbia south carolina airport on february 15th 2018. The car was "ready" sitting there with the hatchback up, keys on dashboard. The rental was to transport my son from fort jackson army boot camp to his ait at fort eustis va. The army is beyond strict with their soldiers, you have to have a security check, prove insurance etc. We got on base in va because my son had his military id and it was dark. The next day I was to pick up my soldier and they would not let me in... There was no license plate on the rental! I had to park the car get out open trunk, hood and all doors and stand back.. All while this whole scene was being watch by others. I was not going to be allowed to get my soldier. I had to pull out my alamo documents. Security was communicating through walkies. It was totally unacceptable, being put in this situation by alamo! If anyone is familiar with the army, they don't mess with any bs! I have enclosed a picture of what was on the car in place of a license plate.

car rental

Lisa Lussier pobran

[Resolved] double billing

It was the worst experience. I paid cash when I returned my car. I didn't expect Alamo to charge my credit card as well. It was double billing. After two days I saw the charge, I became panic. I called and was promised that I would get full refund. I told Alamo that I didn't use an American credit card, so there would be a currency difference. I was told they would ensure I wouldn't be affected by the currency difference. However, the refund showed a currency difference and I lost close to $100 CAD because it!!! Since then I called again and again. Every time I had to repeat the incident, which cost me a lot of time and energy. Recently I talked to someone at Kona, Hawaii, and got comments like "why is it our problem". Well, to this rude agent who tried to lie and argue her way out of this, if you didn't charge my credit card, as you should not have done when I paid with cash in full, nothing of this would happen. To this agent, yes, that is your problem because you double billed me at the first place. If you did something like that, the least you can do is to ensure I get my money back without being affected by the fact that you illegally double billed me! This attitude is unacceptable because Alamo should know by know that a big portion of the people rent a car in Hawaii are not from the States and there will be a currency difference if you just randomly charge people's credit cards. And yes, people from other countries know that double billing in U.S. is illegal.

double billing

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Feb 20, 2018

Scarlett Kelly, We’ve noted your comments and would like to have the opportunity to look into this for you. Please send us a detailed email to [email protected] include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us. Carol H.

[Resolved] car rental

Alamo car rental issues!!! I rented a car in palm beach Florida and was charged for insurance I said I did...

[Resolved] did not get vehicle requested. only upgrade offered at extra cost

Only got confirmation on 18/12/17 pm that trip to Boston Mass was on. Booked flights and car rental for 23/12/17 return to UK on 04/01/18.

Requested Toyota Rav 4 or similar + snow tyres + GPS, due to predicted severe weather, as also planned trip to visit friends in Connecticut during my stay in USA .

Arrived at rental desk at 8:30pm and was given agreement to sign.
Vehicle had been upgraded to Standard size sports utility + GPS, no snow tyres at $286.75 additional cost, without my prior knowledge.

Alamo rental agreement had mid or standard size all wheel drive + gps written on front of leaflet. In my opinion, Alamo were giving me no option but to accept upgrade.

Then asked representative did vehicle have snow tyres, response was no don`t offer them as most vehicles based in Florida, so not required. I only booked with Alamo as they offered this option.

It was late and had family waiting for escort me to their home + queue of people behind me. Relative already delayed and stuck in Europe, due to plane problem, so reluctantly accepted upgrade.

On 3/01/18 at 19:42 received message from airline Delta that flight cancelled on 04/01/18 due to the impending snow storm, was re-booked for 5/01/18 at 19:30 via 2 flights not one. Could not have taken rental vehicle back on 04/01/18, as Major of Boston requested on tv that public were not to drive.

Called Alamo to inform them of flight delay, advised that there would be an additional $100.11 to pay for extra day`s rental. Returned vehicle at 11:30am on 5/01/18, so actually had vehicle for 12 1/2 days not 13.

I contacted the car rental booking agent who contacted Alamo, but were told customer signed agreement and without any written communication, it was my word against Alamo. I also contacted my credit card provider who confirmed that I needed a response in writing from Alamo, before they could assist me.

All things considered, I do not think that I have been treated fairly by Alamo Rent a Car. I have read the comments on this site made by other renters, which demonstrates that unfair practises have taken place that need to be eradicated. Top class customer care should be standard practise. Without customers, there is no business to run.

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Feb 09, 2018

Brownant,

[Resolved] pricing

Made a reservation and was given a quote of $268.08. When we picked up vehicle at Tampa Airport I was charged...

[Resolved] concern on claim # [protected]

I have a serious problem with Alamo Customer Service team during last 20 days.

I have an open claim # [protected] on Alamo Confirmation# [protected]. My Rented Car was scratched on shopping mall parking lot.

Partial payment in amount of $273.83 Alamo already received from Liberty Mutual Ins company. But the rest of amount of $500.00 I cannot receive for you from the Credit Card Benefit service because I cannot get the Original Rental Agreement # [protected]. I called 16 times during last 20 days to Alamo Customer service at [protected] and directly to the Alamo West Palm Beach location. Request # [protected] was opened and re-opened multiple time in order to send me Rental Agreement # [protected] to show my Credit Card Benefit team that I did not buy any additional insurance. I called Hotwire for confirmation # [protected], they conferenced our call with Kristine who is working in BPI Alamo location with no results. Also I talked to 20 or more other people working for Alamo customer service without any results.
I left 4 voice messages for Denise Wilson at [protected] Ext. 6634 with my name, phone # and claim number - nobody called me.
I still do not understand Why I should waste my time on small think I asked to provide to me. I'm not hiding from this claim, I try to get money for this fix ASAP and close this clam but Alamo company is striking me with unprofessional people in customer service, make me frustrated to explain to each person that I need just Rental Agreement and why I need it. They promise me that I receive it in 24-48 hours but I still did not get what I need. I've never deal with so unprofessional customer service which could just tell me: I'm sorry, but that's our policy.

I hope that this letter will help me to get required help and support.

Thanks, Ella Pikalyuk
[protected]

Ella Pikalyuk,
    Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences. I have forwarded your comments to our Regional management. I have asked that they review your concern and contact you directly. As this may take several days, your patience is appreciated.
    Respectfully,
    Carol

[Resolved] obligatory extra charges when pick-up scam

In December 2017, my family and I rented a car online from Alamo for a holiday trip to Puerto Vallarta.

Online, they had the best prices so we booked a car with them. When we get to the airport counter, they say they are out of cars and that whenever anyone returned one (which btw could be from an hour to days, they could't give us a time frame), they would give us a call to go and pick-up the car. I find it very unprofessional of them to not keep track of their cars and allow other customers to keep booking while they are out.

Luckily (after and hour of arguing with them), a car got returned so they assigned it to us. Once we are at the counter doing all the paper work, the lady helping us said there were some charges pending. Apparently, Alamo has some insurance they consider "obligatory" for you to get. Online, they don't include them in their offering prices so they appear cheaper than the competition however once you are their counter getting the car you already booked, they force you to pay them otherwise they can't release the car to you.

I think it is a very low way of tricking customers into getting a better deal just to turn out to be more expensive afterwards ... and apparently they have been doing it for years. I did some research afterwards and found several forums of people complaining of the same scam dating back to 2008.

I can't believe they allowed to operate this way and I for sure will never rent a car from them. Also I'll make sure none of my family nor my company works with them so great job Alamo, you just lost at least 20 clients for scamming me.

lilirdzg
    We would like the chance to discuss this with you directly. Please send a detailed email to [email protected] include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your rental agreement or reservation numbers and the information provided here.
    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,
    Carol H.

[Resolved] rental car in ft lauderdale airport

On 01/02/2018 I rented a 15 passenger van from the Ft Lauderdale airport location. As I am getting ready to leave, the Alamo representative, who is checking my paperwork notices that my rental has an expired tag. She calls a manager to request another vehicle but there were no other 15 passenger vans available. The manager told the representative that it was ok to let me go and that if a was to receive a ticket, that "they would pay for it'. I then went back to speak to the manager and told him to give me the ok in writing. He wrote it on my contract and understood that I was traveling to Tennessee. I proceed to go on my vacation. As I am unloading my bags from the van, I noticed there was no spare tire. The seats were so filthy my wife had to put sheets to sit on them. Also after reaching my destination, I also noticed that the oil life remaining was 25%. When I got back the oil life was at 0%. I got pulled over in Tennessee, which delayed our vacation plans for that day. I couldn't enjoy my trip as well as I could have worrying about the issues I was having with this vehicle. When I turned the van in, the Alamo representative told me a manager would be contacting me the following day, which did not occur. I would appreciate someone contacting me and notifying me of how I will be compensated for all my troubles with this rental. I was very disappointed in my experience with Alamo.
Joe Santiago
RA#[protected]

Joe Santiago
    we appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences. I assure you that it's never our intention to inconvenience our customers. We would like to speak with you further. Please email [email protected] with your contact information, exact rental office location, rental agreement or reservation numbers, and the details above so we can address this. Thank you. – Carol H.

[Resolved] alamo rental service. not satisfied

Long story short. I had to rent a car from BTV airport on 1/5/18 @ 7:25pm because my flight was canceled. I...

[Resolved] airport shuttle service and quality of rented vehicle

1. Airport shuttle - we made reservations noticed that our arrival was dec 31 about 1:30am. The Alamo shuttle...

renting car

I checked into Charlotte airport had reservations well in advance to rent a vehicle. To go visit family in carolina georgia and Florida and return the vehicle in florida. Even called prior to renting the vehicle to make sure alset. I get in January 1st and no one was at the counter at least half hour. I them spoke to your agent gave her my confirmation number. I recently was married. I had my passport one credit card that had couple hundred dollars available on it and my bank debit credit card in my newly married name. Then my license had my newly married name on it but my signature said my maiden name. The other major credit I wanted to use for payment since the clerk insisted I had to use a major credit card not only needed be in my married name. And that was in my maiden name. She not only embarrassed me empting out my purse to keep given her all my credit cards, passport, nys license, cash, check and after hour declining to rent me the car reserved months ahead time. I will never do business with Alamo again and furthermore everyone I know will hear this experience from your ignorance of a employee. At the end of the day I had everything neded with my married name and my previous name on what she could had used to rent the vehicle. So kudos thankyou budget for taking a bad situation from alamo and turning it into a good positive outcome and giving the custimer a rental to enjoy our vacation. One unhappy customer [protected].

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Jan 02, 2018

Tanesha boradgiak corlew
    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,

• Updated by Tanesha boradgiak corlew · Jan 07, 2018

I have sent an email of everything they have requested to escalations to research further this awful situation that their employee created. Will keep you all posted on the outcome.

car rental at kona hawaii big island

I had rented Alamo Car as part of a Costco travel package, and after returning the car, received a zero balance receipt from the rental office.
After I returned home, I found to my surprise at a later date that the rental company has charged $300 for lost key. I left the key inside the car as the attendant suggested, and only after checking everything I was issued zero balance receipt.
I am quite sure the attendant has misplaced the key and put the blame on customer. I find this type of charging is completely unfair and I want to file official complaint to a consumer court.

driver hinting for tips

On Christmas night, we landed at Chicago O'Hare. It was 5:30pm when we and others waited for our shuttle to...

I rented a 4 door car.
When I got outside I was talked into taking a nicer van for free
2 days later the van was broken into and the stereo was stolen.
Wires were perfectly cut and no damage around around the base

I thought this is very strange.

I walked around the hotel parking lot and only 3 vehicles were broken into that night. All rental vans exactly like Alamo van I had.

All three vans were rentals and I took pictures as well.

I thought this was strange as well. Only rental vans of this kind and same color??? Look at the attached pics of another van in the same parking lot that was broken into as well on the same night. Exact same type of van!!

*If you check the police reports and hotel reports you will see there was third rental van involved as well. The scam allows the stereos to be sold back to the rental companies since the stereos were taken in out with preceision.

Now they want $3, 000 for $600 worth of damage. This is a inside scam and I bet 100% that those same stereos were sold back to this Alamo organization and reinstalled into the vans.

Police and FBI should investigate and the harassment for the $3K should stop. This is a clear cut scam case and it would be easy to catch this inside deal at the Detroit Alamo airport

big alamo scam

customer exit booth agent and eddie manager

Let me start by saying I have been renting with Alamo for over a year now and I'm an alamo insider. Today I...

[Resolved] stolen goods

I picked up a car on 12/5 from AVL approx 1pm. I dropped a $350 Apple Watch in the parking lot. I realized as soon as i got to my hotel the watch was missing. I have tried to reach them countless times since that day. On Thurs when i returned the car a worker for National/Alamo out back said it was found and turned in. The women inside(very rude) said it was not there and knew nothing. I still cannot find out who and where it was turned in. I have called airport lost and found numerous times and also spoke to Hertz (the only live person to answer at the counter. Totally frustrated with these rude clowns at the counter. Not being able to speak with a live person at the counter is unacceptable.

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Dec 21, 2017

Mike Stearns,

[Resolved] discount when picking up rented vehicle

I rented a vehicle at Atlanta airport. When I arrived at the counter I asked the representative if there were any discounts accepted like Auto Club or Costco membership. His response was no and he asked another rep nearby who quickly said I had to do that online before coming to the counter. After having the vehicle a week, I needed to extend my rental for another week. I called in to extend and asked the representative on the phone if there were any discounts because I was there for the funerals of my brother and nephew who died in an automobile accident. She said I could present my Costco card when I returned the rented vehicle. When I returned the vehicle and asked about parenting my Costco membership card for a discount, I was denied. My total for the rental was over $1500 and I only wanted to save money because of the expenses incurred to bury my brother and the 7 airline tickets we had purchased to get there. Please help!

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Dec 06, 2017

Tresalyn Waller King, we appreciate it when customers tell us about their experiences. I assure you that it's never our intention to inconvenience our customers. We would like to speak with you further. Please email [email protected] with your contact information, exact rental office location, rental contract information and the details above so we can address this situation. Thank you. – Carol H.

[Resolved] rental car

Alamo Houston is absolutely TERRIBLE!!! We waited for over 1 hour for the mini van we requested to rent over...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices