Alamo Rent A Carfalse rental car damage claim scam

A Dec 09, 2019 Review updated:

I reserved a car from Alamo via Priceline for the morning of October 31, 2019. I had just returned from a Hawaiian vacation and I just needed a vehicle to get from BWI back to my home in New Cumberland, PA, which is roughly a 90-mile drive. I picked up the car around 10am and I drove directly home. I made no stops along the way. I arrived home (with NO INCIDENT) shortly after 12. I returned the car to Harrisburg airport (as I had arranged with my reservation) that evening around 6:30. The car sat at my apartment from the time I arrived home until I got back in it at 6pm to return it and meet my friend who agreed to bring me back home. Upon reaching the rental car drop-off at Harrisburg International airport, I parked my car in one of the spaces indicating that it was for Alamo/Enterprise drop-offs. The booth for the rental car attendant was not lit inside and there was no one to be found in that section. I looked for someone but to no avail. I made sure I had all of my belongings before finally putting my keys in the drop box for Alamo/Enterprise. My friend arrived 10-15 minutes after I first got to the rental car drop-off area and we went home. The next day I was looking at my Mastercard account online just matching up purchases I'd made during vacation. There appeared to be a duplicate charge from Alamo but after speaking with the agent from BWI (phone # from my rental agreement), I found it was merely an authorization and that was fine. There were no other issues in that respect. I also informed the agent that upon leaving the car at Harrisburg International Airport, that no attendant was around at the time and that I had placed the keys in the drop box. The agent said that was fine.
Fast forward to Wednesday, 12/4/19 (34 DAYS LATER TO BE EXACT) where an agent from Alamo's "Damage Recovery Unit" contacted me to tell me that there is an investigation going on for the car I rented and for the time I rented it as there was damage to the car. I made it clear that I had no accident in the vehicle and I reiterated the same EXACT account as above. I was adamant in that there was no damage to my knowledge, I never hit anybody/anything and nothing/nobody had hit me! She said that they would be in touch. After hanging up with the agent, it occurred to me...why these ridiculous insinuations OVER A MONTH after returning the car??? I called back and spoke with an agent who explained to me (quite curtly) their process of discovering damage, their own filing/incident processes, etc. She then said that there was damage to the undercarriage of the car including some sort of sensor damage to the car. I told her that I did not hit anything/drive over anything. She wasn't very receptive but she said the investigation claim could take 2-3 wks. before I would know the outcome and that they would have to verify with OTHER DRIVERS any incidents/damage reported. Ultimately, I'd be hard-pressed to believe that I'm the only person who's been behind the wheel of that vehicle in the 34 days since I dropped it off at the airport. No I did not take any pictures of the vehicle upon acquiring it, I just thought it would be a fairly straight easy drive coming home on 83 North and it was until my phone rang almost 5 wks. later! I also didn't take insurance on the vehicle as I have my own insurance. One would think that I would take comfort in that I am fully covered but that's hardly the point. (Think criminals pleading down to reduced charges...it's still an admission of culpability.) In my case, I DID NOT HAVE ANY INCIDENT IN THAT CAR. I had it for 8.5 hours, I drove it for 2...that's it. NOTHING HAPPENED. Upon doing further research into Alamo Car Rentals, this appears to be their modus operandi. In the future, I will never again rent from Alamo nor it's sister business, Enterprise. This whole situation is incredibly shady. All I wanted was to get home from the airport. I made it home safely and SO DID THE CAR. That's all I can say.

RESOLVED

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Dec 10, 2019

APaisley79, we would be happy to discuss your concerns further. To do so, please email us at [protected]@alamo.com include your reservation & rental agreement numbers, your contact information, full name on the rental agreement, and any additional details regarding your concerns. Thank you. – Carol H.

• Alamo Rent A Car's response · Jun 09, 2020

Amanda Paisley, your feedback is important in maintaining and improving service and satisfaction for all our valued customers. We would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail. Please email us at [protected]@Alamo.com with your contact information, claims, reservation or rental agreement number, and any additional details. Thank you. -Carol H.

• Am
    Amanda Paisley Jun 09, 2020

Actually, this complaint has not been resolved to my satisfaction...over 8 months later. On February 10th of this year (68 days after Alamo first contacted me), I received a letter demanding $2906.01 for damages NOT incurred by me as well as invoices from a local Nissan dealership. The car was taken in for repairs 4 days after I had it. Also, there was another invoice for headlight repair from January of this year...over two months after I drove the car. I immediately called my auto insurance provider to file a claim and explained that I had no incident in that vehicle when I drove it on October 31st, 2019. After a lengthy investigation by my insurance agent which spanned almost 2 months including her waiting over a month for Alamo to produce ANY documentation, the claim was denied. What documentation that was eventually provided failed to conclusively prove that I was at any fault. Any documentation to conclusively prove my culpability does not exist as I will maintain until my dying day that there was NO incident when that car was in my possession. This was mid-April. I thought this was over. However, Alamo sent me a letter and an invoice just last Thursday (6/4) indicating that they are still deeming me liable and that I'm to pay for damages I did not cause. So...no not resolved at this time.

• Am
    Amanda Paisley Jun 16, 2020

NOW THIS IS RESOLVED...I sent a letter to Alamo acknowledging receipt of their latest letter deeming me responsible and demanding payment for alleged damages I will deny causing until my last breath. I also requested photographs and the fleet utilization logs for the very car I drove. I was attempting to gather materials for legal review. 4 days later, on 6/12/2020, Alamo sent a letter to my insurance claims agent stating that they were closing the claim and they would be handling the cost of the alleged damages themselves. There were tears of joy when I received that email from my agent. Companies like Alamo appear to have a lucrative side hustle with the phantom damage racket. However, if you stick to your guns and have right on your side, you can win.

• Alamo Rent A Car Jun 17, 2020

@Amanda Paisley Amanda Paisley, thank you for keeping us updated on your experience. We're glad to hear this has been resolved to your liking. Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can help out in the future. Take care! - Carol H

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices