Complaints & Reviews

rude manager

I went to take a visitor from Boston Ma to visit the location on Campwisdom last nite about 8:30Pm to pick up...

surly manager

Several weeks ago I purchased a small stapler at Dollar Tree and discovered, once home, the interior mechanism was missing. I went back the following day, receipt in hand, without considering I could possibly receive resistance from the store manager. I was wrong. She inspected the stapler, inspected my receipt, asked if I was sure I had not broken it, than aquiesced with a heavy sigh, allowing me to go retrieve a replacement stapler. The entire incident was frustrating, but humorous. Today, I was in same Dollar Tree with my 13-year-old son to get Father's Day balloons, among other items. When my son and I stepped out the door of Dollar Tree, one of the mylar balloons detached from the ribbon and flew away. My son said he'd tell the store manager and I decided to let him handle it. He went back inside holding the balloon-less ribbon only to appear back outside the store within seconds, head hanging. He told me the store manager told him (same woman who interrogated me about the defective stapler) once balloons go out the door the store is no longer responsible. I asked my son to wait near our car and went inside. I approached the surly store manager and told her the balloon was not secured on the ribbon and had, through no fault of ours, flown away. She said, "You have to hang onto them!" I told her the ribbon had not been tied. She said, "We tie them!" I looked at the ten-person line waiting at the only check-out and asked, "Are you telling me I have to get in line now and buy another balloon?" She sighed her familiar heavy sigh and said, "Just this time I will let you get another balloon!" I walked over, took another mylar balloon and saw the ribbon was attached to the balloon with a piece of Scotch tape. When I got to the car, I checked the other balloons we had purchased, and they, too, had ribbons held with only a piece of Scotch tape. Many mylar balloons are destined to be set free once outside that Dollar Tree. The point is this store manager has an utter lack of people skills and, like many in jobs they appear to hate, seizes all opportunity, apparently, to wield the tiny power she has over Dollar Tree customers. She is not interested in customer service. She makes no effort to be pleasant. She is interested in holding her miniscule authority over the heads of unfortunate shoppers needing assistance.

• binder Jun 17, 2009

What are you complaining about then; you got your way both times you big baby. Awwwwww the manager was rude, big deal - it's a ### job & probably the only thing she's qualified for. Maybe she was on the rag too, who knows? You're just gonna have to buck up & get over it; you are going to run into many more rude people in your lifetime.

efingsimple Feb 05, 2011

No one has pride in their work anymore, do they -- yes, that's probably the only thing that sorry manager will ever qualify for (like most Dollar Tree employees in the manager or asst. manager position) but so what? If you can't do the job, get the f*** out. I'm glad she stood her ground AND got her way.

39 yr. old dollar tree manager attacks 16 year old

It was about 11 o clock in the morning while I was walking out of the beer/wine store. I see a teenager walking down towards where I had happend to be. Next thing you know, an dollar tree employee runs out of the store and yanks the girl by her hair and starts beating her. I was in shock. Later on that day I found out the girl that had been attacked was a 16 year old former employee at the store who had gotten fired because she didnt show up to work that last monday. I had also found out that the lady who attacked her was a 39 year old manager at the store. As I continue to keep in touch with the 16 year old, I find that there is a deeper story to why the manager attacked her. the 39 year old manager also has a daughter working there as well. Her daughter was a good friend of the 16year olds. They had gotten into an argument and thats when things went downhill (Says the 16year old). She also states that it was just typical teenage drama that every high schooler has probaly gone through before. Where they talk about each other, text eachother saying this and that, myspace, facebook, etc. i honestly think the mother, who is also the store manager should had just left it alone. Shes supposed to be the "grown" one in this situation, but oviously isnt. Like what I always say, "let teens be teens".

But I still dont know why this woman hasnt been fired yet.

anonyMiss Aug 30, 2009

well, i hate to say it, because it does sound terrible, but this doesn't sound true. she might have been a shoplifter (still horrible to do that) but if the girl's story were true, i would only assume a police report would have been filed

if you'd like to get to the bottom of it, you could always contact the police or dollor corporate

Mark Bilsby Jan 25, 2011

Last time I checked, Dollar Tree will not hire anyone under 18.. Hmmmmm

• Me
    Megamoku Mar 25, 2011

Indeed, Dollar Tree will not hire anyone under the age of 18 and family members/friends can not work in the same store. So the mother could not have had her daughter working in the same store as her.

john Mar 26, 2011

And I just love [censor] :)
    Hey! I made some changes at your page!
    Check it out here by cutting and pasting:
    My name is John Wright AND I AM FIGHTING BACK!

John Wright
    piggybankblog.com

dirty ribbons on mylar hanging balloons

I noticed that the ribbons on these mylar Mother's Day balloons are hanging down to my chest walking to look at items in the front of the store. They were in my mouth, nose, eyes, hair and on my face. I complained to the person checking me out and she said there was nothing she could do and there would be alot more of them this week for Mother's Day. This is how the swine flu is spread through touching the eyes, nose, and mouth with the germs. I am a school librarian and will have been out of school from May1-May 11, 2009, at least, because of one case of the swine flu in our school. They have to clean the entire school. There are many other diseases that can be contracted this way also. It is just not sanitary. Please move the balloons, shorten the ribbons, do not make them up ahead. something!
Patricia, Arlington, TX

• Ba
    batmanfreak102 Nov 16, 2009

I work for Dollar Tree. We have to put the ballons out in advance so people can buy them ahead. Its corporate policy. Also, we have to keep the ballons in the front of the store as an impulse item. I don't know where this Dollar Tree keeps their ballons, but ours are in an out of the way corner. And the whole shortening the string thing; Our balloons come with the strings already attached. We can't shorthen them. We can'[t elongate them. Just walk around the balloons and not in the middle of the strings.

A Dollar Tree associate.

Resolved debit card scam

While checking my debit card account I noticed that a transaction that took place on Saturday April 18 wa...

Resolved poor services and products

My complaint is about the poor service that I have recieved at two individual Dollar Tree Stores. I do not remeber the exact dates because there have been several incidents in which I have experienced bad service. There have been several incidents in which I have asked for help in looking for an item and the employees simply acted as if they didn't want to help me find it or were standoff-ish towards me. I have also experienced this while waiting in line. I once met the manager of one of the Dollar Tree stores; while waiting in line, I wanted to ask her a few questions about recieving an application and about finding some items within the store. However, she acted very cold and standoff-ish toward me and was not really willing to answer any of my questions. It was as if I had to persistently force her to answer my questions! Her attitude towards me was very cold. She just told me to "Come back tommorow!" I simply had to interpret that as if she didn't have any applications or any of the products that I was looking for. The products, which by the way somtimes don't work or malfunction. There are two products which I have brought that don't work. The first is a CD which was supposed to have some music on it but was a blank CD. The second was a lighter (the large kind) which was supposed to work but also doesn't. I know that I should have returned these products to see if I can at least get a reciept and I also should have posted these complaints earlier but I believe that now is a better time than never and I am seriously considering taking my business elswhere.

• La
    lameasses555 Sep 08, 2009

well i dont think you can really complain about a product not working very well when you only paid a dollar for it! and If you bought that hanna montana cd, they Are blank cds. and you really shouldn't be asking for an application while your shopping. Many times employees are rude to customers because the customer was rude to them first. Its hard to be nice to someone that is treating you like you a piece of ###.

• Yo
    YOUSHOULD Feb 28, 2010

I agree with lameasses555... Dollar tree employees make minimum wage barely. And you are only paying a buck for what you get... if you want to complain go to a chain that sells high dollar merchandise. Bet you haven't said a word about anything you got at the Dollar tree that was name brand? And if you want a Job at the Tree... why in the world would you ask an employee? They get tired of saying go online to apply... but if you really want to work there, come to my store.. Ill give you a paper app... and set it on the stack of 100000 apps already submitted... you would have a great chance to get hired!

efingsimple Feb 05, 2011

Regardless if a customer is "rude" (and this comes in different forms as one perceives it), the associate (cashier) should not react in a hostile matter (which I doubt he/she did in this case). But I do understand that after awhile enough is enough (I get treated like crap too by customers but never react hostile -- very difficult). As for those items that did not work, you could have easily exchanged them; it's not a big deal. I'm sure their store manager would have been happy to do so. And YOUSHOULD is correct, no one every complains about paying a dollar for name brand items but never says anything positive either. And as far as the job app goes, please do. If you're as good a worker as you think you might be, then you'll do fine even when you go through and see what really goes on behind the scenes. Good luck and I wish you the best.

Resolved store policy which is wrong

I visited this store at belmont, ca My cashier scanned the item twice by mistake. I noticed it when I wa...

Resolved unpofessional and rude employee

We visited a Dollar Tree store today. I was astonished by what proceeded to happen. We were shopping for a little while and asked about some painting products. That were out of stock. While we were voicing our question to one of the employees. The other woman next to her stocking a shelve recognized a friend whoam i was shopping with. She proceeded to say She knew my friend and boy she had gotten fat. My friend trying to be polite and astonished she said that. In front of everyone tried to end the converstion. In witch she was also told she was a liar a thief and insulted in several differant ways. I dont know about this woman. I had never met her before today. The fact she decided to belittle my friend, in front of the other employee, and two other customers by the valentines cards appauled me. We proceeded to check out and leave and realized the woman went into the security room/office. We told the cashier who had herd the conversation that transpired . If this store normally displayed this manner of proffesionalisim. If it was common occurance. Then the woman open the office door and proceeded to say the cat my friend had given her. That she told my friend was dead hadnt died but was alive and fine and her kids loved him. For hours after my friend was extremly upset and it ruined her day and mine. I cant believe that someone who is working would start talking like that to any customer its is disrespectful and wrong to behave that way at work even the cashier apologized for that other womans behavior. Its common courtesy not to insult your customers let alone put others in such an uncomfortable position. I wont be going back to that store for along time.

ann fuqua Dec 10, 2009

it is so bad about these dollar tree stores, what is going to hapeen is people are going to start writing the newpaper in their town or cities and warning people of these unrudly employess and managers if the owers don;t get rid of them, i;m for one will start a petition against them, go throught the neighbords and take up a petition against all the dollar tree stores until they get rid of these people, i had a bad day with the ones in florence, al. the one on florence blvd. next to southern family market, so do what you got to do, or boycotts all their stores.

efingsimple Feb 05, 2011

That is a rather terrible experience. A shame you had to go through that. Perhaps you should go back to school.

annoying people Jun 16, 2011

Wow its amazing how people like to complain. I think that the first two people complaining should use spell check!! Unrudly I didn't know there was even such a word. Both of these people should go back to school to get a better job and then maybe you won't have to shop at the dollar stores.

Resolved absolutely insane mean manager

We had to stop by the store before the Christmas parade Dec. of '08. My daughter is suffering from ADD, so it takes a little more scolding to get her to come out of the store with us.
Well, my husband, after making his purchase was standing at the door ready to leave, and our daughter was running through the store upset because they didn't have a certain toy...needless to say, she was given the 3 count, and daddy had to raise his voice a little more sternly. Not yelling or verbally abusive, mind you.
The manager yelled across the store to my husband to leave this instant and leave the child alone.
He responded in kind that it is his daughter, she suffers from add, and has to be talked to this way to grasp her attention.
She then said she didn't care, to leave before she called the police on him. He was standing at the door! What, did she want us to leave our child?
I went in after wards to quietly discuss what happened, because I was waiting out in the car, but could see everything.
My hubby is not a mean guy, nor a bully, he is a Doctor in Childhood ed.! I mean, come on!
Anyway, she then rips into me, and I started in nice with her. Well, that got me riled and she told me where to go, how to get there, etc. Stupid (yet shaking mad) me called her the b-word, and she got on her phone to call the police. We didn't do anything! We are customers, were, for heavens sake. The police understood, but because she was the all-mighty manager, she placed an order for us to never go in her store again. Gladly, poorly ran anyway. I will be seeking people to contact over her head. Just needed to vent.

• Dc
    dcooke Jan 28, 2009

Parents
    need to be more focused on dealing with child in public.
    If the behavior was preceived to be out of line - maybe it was.
    We give names to behaviors that we have allowed to develop
    over the years and our inability to be strong parents.

• Co
    constacine Jan 27, 2010

I worked at Dollar Tree for awhile in Tole why work your ### off when they are just going to put new people in to take your place and give you nothing in return no hours no reason just here you work at dollar tree but i am not going to give you any hours I can't quit even if I want too so what can I do. is there anything that can be done or not.

• Yo
    YOUSHOULD Feb 28, 2010

although I feel for your story... that was nothing more than a story. I love how you emphasized how "you nor your husband were doing anything wrong" while telling how horrible the manager was. If your kid has ADD.. they make a drug that works... use it.. then you dont have to blame retail for your child being over assertive. As far as your complaint goes... Shop at wal mart.. that way no one can find your un-medicated kid and there for no one will care.

• Dt
    dt worket Jun 23, 2011

If you can't control your child, don't put her in situations like that. I'm sure the manager wouldn't have been yelling at your husband if he was just raising his voice. She probably perceived this as your husband yelling at a child and tthought the child was in trouble. They make medicine that controls add and there are ways better than yelling to get your child to comply, which as a pediatrician your husband should know. I honestly think that at least half of 'add children' are just parents who can't control their children so they put a disease on it so they don't get blamed. If I saw a man yelling at a child in such a way as I thought abusive then I would definitely call the police because you can never be sure. And what was your husband doing at the door yelling instead of going after the child when she was running around the store?

extra charge

I reviewed some receipts as I cleaned out my wallet... I noticed the last item on my Dollar Tree slip had...

manager stole from customer

On june 7th. 2008. Myself, 3 kids and my husband went to our local dollartreee. When we went to check out a...

dollar tree store manager attacks my 3 year old son

I had an experience the day before yesterday in martell california. My husband, myself, & 3 year old son went...

Resolved bad customer service

My sons and I went into the store to do some shopping, and as we were walking passed one of the employees she...