Menu
Northern Tool + Equipment
reviews & complaints

Northern Tool + Equipment
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

21 complaints
6 resolved 15 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Northern Tool + Equipment. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
C
2:24 pm

Northern Tool + Equipment - Warranty Repair

Purchased a wood chipper less then 1 year ago from Northern Tool. 2 weeks ago went to use it and noticed the chain guard cover was cracked at one of the attachment points. It was a clean cracked likely secondary from vibration of the machine (less then 25 hour usage). I was going to attempt to repair myself with a bonding agent epoxy, but since it has a 3 year warranty, I thought I would report and have fixed by Northern Tool. I called repair department customer service and was told I would have to bring the machine in. It weighs about 300 pounds and I DO NOT have a way to bring it back as a unit. I asked if I could bring just the part in for evaluation. They informed me several times in the conversation "they just don't replace parts. They have to service it and determine what needs to be repaired." I have had several items in the past that parts could be replaced without having to bring back the entire item. This seemed to be a simple fix from Northern Tools. Remove item from machine (2 bolts) and have repaired or replaced. The manger informed me of the same thing. Apparently NT has a mobile repair service, but I'm not sure what that is because I wasn't given that option. Now I have 300 pound machine that I will need to repair with my own money even though it is under warranty. Don't buy ANYTHING from Northern Tool unless you can carry it back for repair. Bogus warranty.

Desired outcome: Fix without returning 300 pound machine

D
7:39 am

Northern Tool + Equipment - I was put on hold for 28.43 min.

I was put on hold that I had time to drive to the store and look for what I was looking for and the whole time I was on hold I waited in line still on hold when I finally got to a register mind you they where not busy at this time at this time I hung up the phone and asked for a superviser he came asked me what the problem was and I told him... He then asked if he could help me find the part.. I told him to late as I had already looked thru the store and did not find as I was still on hold... I then told him he sucked as a superviser and needed better control at that store... The store was 3970 sw 3rd st ocala fl 34474 this happend on tuesday feb 22 2022 at 10 am... I us your store for my job but having doubts about it now

Desired outcome: have that supervisr retrained to better run a store

11:33 pm

Northern Tool + Equipment - Houma,La Store

My name is Michelle I was in the Houma store Sunday Feb 6 to buy a $500 utility trailer that computer stated they had 4 in stock so we drove almost 2 hrs to get

But the assistant manager said that they where on a shelf where a forklift had to b used and no one in store was certified

Now I’m would think that the manager and assistant manager should b certified for if one isn’t there the other one can do what the manager does and at least someone who is certified to operate a forklift should have been there.

I even ask them if they would be willing to ship it to me and they pay the shipping fee which assistant manager wasn’t interested in doing anything to help us i ask her to call the manger to see what could be done she didnt care one bit.

I have been a assistant manger of tractor supply and we all had to b certified for forklift

I think u should start doing the same if she was telling the truth

This is not a the way to run a business

i even called a number for customer care and they gave me the wrong representative for that area because i sent email to Thomas Madden and it said wrong email

Michelle Sanchez

mz603145gmail.com

Desired outcome: i will pay for trailer but yall need to pay for shipping or knock something off price product number # 56078

G

Northern Tool + Equipment - Poor Managment

Walked into this store on west kelloge Wichita ks Saturday to management fighting with employees over wearing mask, tried asking about a tool but the manager ( Delilah) was rude didn't know and acted like she had no time for me, while i was stand there she was telling a customer to come back another time to buy a log splitter cause she couldn't get the back door open to give it to the customer, im not sure what you pay your management for but WORTHLESS . Will go some where else.

9:49 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased a new Power House pressure washer 9 days ago from Northern Tool. The previous North Star pressure washer that I had was over 10 years old and the pump finally went bad. When the first pressure washer went bad, I was over halfway through redoing my fence (standard 2x4 bread basket design). As I worked through washing the fence, I would drape the...

9:28 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I witnessed a young man get fired today for what I thought was doing above and beyond for the customer service. Telling the cashier to honor an expired coupon, when it didn't work he used his discount. She didn't feel comfortable & told on him. Then he got fired. This traumatized me. It's weighing heavy on my soul. This Manager didn't see him go and help u...

4:45 am

Northern Tool + Equipment - Exchange/Return

I bought a welding machine about a week a go that at the 1st three minutes of use it just stop working. I took back to the store to get a exchange and was told to leave for the mechanic to check, mechanic won't be back till Monday so that forces me to stop working for three days. Would I have known this was going to happen I would have not gotten this machine at Northern Tools & Equipment, I didn't come for a repair but an exchange but now all I want is a return & my money back. Then manager tells me we have to deal with Hobart... Why would I deal with Hobart when I just bought this machine at Northern Tools with in a week? I should have gotten direct from Hobart but I need it ASAP! By the way am I not under policy to return for 45 days? Now I just want to return because is not the answer you want to get with a thousand dollar machine and service. So I called customer service line while at the store and gentlemen was helpful put him on speaker to speak to store manager and he even explained that I am in my right to return since the I-file says I have 45 days to return. Store manager didn't care, he wanted an OK response from he's district manager but district manager wasn't "answering hes call or mines" FIGURES! Once again I am in my rights to return and in store don't want to help, I have no interest in ever making a purchase from Northern Tools they have lost a loyal customer. Never had an issue until now and I always make large machine purchases from them but I'm taking my business elsewhere. Waste of my time and money!

Desired outcome: I want my money back! I'm done with this company.

L
9:15 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

With roughly $60-65 worth of safety equipment in hand, I asked an employee who was standing on a ladder stocking products, if they carried LED portable lighting. He got on his communicator device and called for help. After standing there a bit without anyone in sight to help, I went ahead and approached the cash registers to check out. There was a young man...

I
12:51 pm

Northern Tool + Equipment - Problem with order

Ordered 4 items on clearance, received 1 item with shipping charges for 4. Called to complain and got rebated portion of shipping, but was told the item is now out of stock. However, I could order the same product ( but now a different item number but virtually the same poduct) for almost twice as much. I was never informed that I'd be receiving only 1 item as it does not represent a good buy with the shipping included. I would have cancelled the order. I've ordered from Northern Tool before and never had a problem but will not be ordering again. You've lost a good customer (just bought a fixer-upper) for the difference of a few dollars and not making good on the order. Going to Lowes and Home Depot from now on.

5:08 am

Northern Tool + Equipment - my order never arrived

3 months ago I ordered this item: Milwaukee M12 FUEL Cordless Impact Wrench — Tool Only, 3/8in. Square Drive, 12 Volt, Model# 2454-20 for 150 dollars, thank god the shipping was free.
But the problem is that I never received it.
Customer care is aware of that, I called them numerous times and they probably already know who's calling when they hear about my problem. However, it's not resolved and I will keep pissing you off until I finally get my order. You seem free shipping doesn't mean forever. I want to finally get it!

A
3:52 am

Northern Tool + Equipment - Clueless support

I was on hold more than one hour. They transferred me from one person to another. One of them was away, another one said my issue is not the one he can resolve, the third one said she would prefer to call me back because at that moment she was very very busy. Busy with what? Hello, guys. I am your customer. Not your friend. You should be busy with your customers' problems. What's your priority then?
I don't think my problem was tough for you to resolve. I never got my order and all I wanted to know is when I will get it and if there's any sense in waiting for it, maybe then I would just cancel it.
A very strange way. My issue is still not resolved. My time was spent on nothing...

C
2:34 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I ordered a pair of LaCrosse boots for my husband and they arrived expeditiously but the problem was that they did not fit. So I contacted Northern Tool and the representative told me that the boots were ordered from LaCrosse and that they would contact LaCrosse regarding my order. A week went by and I did not receive any communication. So I called Northern...

A
5:48 am
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Northern Tool + Equipment - Nortrac 2 spool hydraulic valve

I bought a NorTrac 2 spool hydraulic valve for a spare about a year and a half ago. Two days ago I needed to use it so I took it out of the box and installed it, but right away I knew there was something wrong with the valve. It only will move hydraulic fluid in one direction. It was bought as a 3-Position, 4-Way, Open Center, but it isn't. Contacted northern tool yesterday and got the runaround. The person I was talking to had no expertise or even knowledge about there products. Especially when they told me to get a hydraulic company to look at my machine, even when I was tired of telling them that the problem is with there valve. So than they said that it was my problem now because it is over a year old. But the valve is new and it is not what I had ordered, or they advertise the product wrong. Then they were very bold and not very good customer service when they asked me if I had any other questions on another item and I said you never solved this problem, when they actually hung up on me. So I guess I have a hydraulic valve for a heavy paper weight. Never will shop there again.

G
1:57 pm

Northern Tool + Equipment - No confirmation info and seller provides fake promises

I ordered 2 items from the company www.northerntool.com. I didn’t get any confirmation info, ‘coz the seller only promised to deliver the tracking number or info, which confirmed that the order was shipped and I would soon get it. I sent tons of emails, but each time I heard only some fake promises and blah-blah. I wonder if there are people, who have the same problems and what have you done in such situation, please post comments.

T
8:15 pm

Northern Tool + Equipment - failed to cancel order

I submitted an order on 11-30-10 for one item. On 11-2-10 I emailed them, not having heard from them, and ask that if the item hadnt been shipped to cancel the order. By the end of 11-2-10 still not having heard from them I again requested that they not send the order. Again still not hearing anything from them by early 11-3-10 I again emailed customer support and said to cancel the order. Mid afternoon on 11-3-10 I received email from customer support saying they had just shipped it! I purchased the item locally so now Im going to have to fight with them over the return. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE and NO RESPONSE

S
5:50 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am disgusted by Northern Tool's complete lack of customer service. I place a large order for over £500 through their website and when two items did not arrive with the delivery several days later, I tried to call their customer service department. I was on hold for 10 minuutes or so, before an automated message said that the department was too busy to...

W
5:34 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I RECENTLY TOOK A 8 MONTH OLD PRESSURE WASHER TO NORTHERN TOOL TO HAVE WORKED ON, THE MECHANIC STATED IT NNEDED NEW SEALS AND GASKETS AND A PISTON, THE MANFACTURER STATED IT WAS UNDER WARANTY AND ALL COVERED--COMET PUMPS IS THE MANFACTURER, THEY SENT NORTHERN TOOL ALL THE PARTS FREE TO FIX IT, AFTER OVER A MONTH, THE MECHANIC CALLED ME AND SAID MY PRESSURE...

7:17 pm

Northern Tool + Equipment - Poor Customer service

The Northern Tool + Equipment Customer Service as well as their Internet customer service are very poor. An order was placed for lawn mover parts. The parts were sent via UPS. The UPS web site states it was delivered. Upon calling UPS that the part was not delivered as the family were at home, the customer rep of UPS stated that they need to trace which can be done thru Northern Tool.

Guess Northern Tool's answer to request a simple trace. They cannot!. Their answer to rectify this issue is a laborious process of getting a police report then send a copy so a trace can be done. What stupidity!, for a $ 15 item.

A simple polite way to address a customer's response and dealing with the issue would suffice in a resolution.

Give Northern Tool + Equipment an " F " for the way they treat customer.

Update by Manuelo
Jul 09, 2009 7:19 pm

I had problems with that company. They don't know how to speak to ppl.

1 comment
Sep 15, 2009 10:26 am

You are correct. Northern Tool has lost it. Website issues, poor service, advertised specials that they do not have. I requested to be removed as a customer and from any email lists. Very very poor service...

T
6:17 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My wife and I live recently visited the store at 840 Concord Parkway N in Concord, NC on Sunday May 3, 2009. We were looking for a portable source of power to use in our small business. We were looking for something like the Duracell Powerpack 600, weren't really sure what we needed for what we wanted to do, so we were hoping someone could give u...

1:57 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased my Husquvarna Riding Mower early October 2008. Within he 30 days I had to call Northern Tools regarding an hour meter and an oil leak. After two times hour meter came in right, as far as the oil leak a female manager told me to take it to a warrenty dealer in Mebane, NC. They had it for a week, ad replaced slump gasket. I parked it in te garage...

Northern Tool + Equipment contacts