The Home Depot / discrimination

1 1415 Boston Providence HighwayNorwood, MA, United States
Phone: 781-762-9270

My 69 years old father went out and got a new lawn mower from Home Depot and it was defective. The purchase was within 24 hrs. I called the particular store up and explained the problem, stating that it stopped working while using it and it has oil and gas but could find the problem or the solution. Also, informed the clerk that item was purchased from that location and is within 24hrs. The clerk, Stan, stated that its was okay to bring it back and he will exchange it for us. I sent my father back to the store hoping that its a seamless exchange. Since I had phone in the problem ahead, I didn't find it necessary for me to accompany my father because English is a second language. Once he was there another clerk offered to help since Stan wasn't available and determined that lawn mower was broken. The clerk accused my father of broken the lawn mower because he did not put oil in the lawn mower. My father may have problem speaking good English but he can read and write. He was embarrassed of the accusation that he allow the clerk charged maintenance services fee of $35 and not have use of the lawn mower for a couple of weeks. I was outraged. This is my father third lawn mower in his 30 years plus in the U.S.A. When I called back to Home Depot and asked to speak to the store manager, Stan gave me the run around. Finally, he transfer me to Paul, whom I thought was a store manager, and he agreed to credit the $35 if we come in the store again. During these time Paul had mislead us with his title until I asked for his business card and his boss name and contact information. Then he stated that his boss is out of store location and she was taking an hour plus lunch.

Mh