State Farm Insurance / Nonpayment of claim
On August 24th, 2009 my home was broken into while I was in bed trying to sleep. I heard the loud sound of shattering glass. As I was alone and without any weapons, I patiently and quietly waited in bed for the robber to leave the house so I could then escape or go get the cellphone that I had left in my dining room earlier that evening. After ransacking my home for over 20 minutes, I heard the robber open my front door. This is when I decided to escape the house using the back door. In the process of my escape, the robber saw me, appeared stunned that I was in the house and quickly began throwing my belongings into trash cans and a recycle bin which he later took to my vehicle which was also stolen. I then ran out the back door, my dog in one arm and grabbed an ax that the intruder had left on my dining room table in the other for protection and ran several blocks to an all night gas station to call police. Keep in mind that I was barefoot and wearing only underwear at the time. The police responded immediately, however by the time they got to my house the intruder had left and taken my vehicle as well (he had my keys).
In the claim process, I found out that what I was told was a "replacement cost" policy really was not. The policy only covered the depreciated value of the items stolen and they would only pay the difference between the depreciated cost and the replacement cost at a later date when I had used my own money to replace everything.
State Farm then sent my claim to a special investigations unit, where weeks turned into months and State Farm did nothing at all- never updated me on the status of the claim, told me that I was being investigated for fraud, etc. I had given over 4 hours of taped sworn testimony to them and they contacted me for yet another "examination under oath" where they demanded copies of my tax returns, credit card statements, loans and savings accounts. State Farm also contacted a man who I used to be in a relationship with who had given me a black hills gold ring (approx value $ 120.00) eleven years earlier. They told him where I was living and this began the harassment I am now suffering at his hands. At the end of our relationship, he had been convicted of domestic assault and I had a protection order against him. I now will have to file for yet another protection order and he is aware of where I live. I am going to refuse to give State Farm my financial records, as they are not in any way related to the robbery claim, but am certain that this will be classified as "failure to cooperate" and my claim will ultimately be denied.
More State Farm Insurance Complaints & Reviews
- State Farm Insurance - Will not pay claims 
- State Farm Insurance - State Farm will not cover my sewer pipe break 
- State Farm Insurance - Renters Insurance 
- State Farm Insurance - Negligence and unprofessionalism 
- State Farm Insurance - wind and hail roof damage 
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company - Homeowners
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company - auto insurance and they are disregarding police report 
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company - non-payment of two separate claims
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company - claim processing
- State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company - claim number: 75-3165 80 claim date: 3.2.2018