Menu
Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA]
reviews & complaints

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA]
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

50 complaints
19 resolved 31 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA]. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
11:50 pm EDT

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - Mastercard prepaid card

I was issued a debit prepaid Mastercard by Blue Cross Blue Shield Federal Employees Program after answering a survey or requested procedure response. This was back in the fall of 2021. I have tried using it in listed stores (on the website) such as Bath and Body Works (2x) and TJMaxx (2x, last try today) and payments all failed to go through all 4x. It is very embarrassing and so I ended up paying cash on all of my purchases. My card still says I have $50 balance but it won't even accept on Old Navy online today (also a listed store). Is this something that I should take up with Better Business Bureau? I feel that I answered the Blue Cross Blue Shield survey and was never really given $50 as promised because the card would never, ever go through in all 5 attempts. Please give me a valid list of stores that I can use this card with.

12:38 pm EST

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - Prescription medication

I was pre authorized for Skyrizi in Nov after months of doctors working to change me from Stelara after it stopped working… I finally got the pre authorization and the first shot in dec…. The maintenance shot would start 4 weeks later the end of dec…. I was away and called for that shot on the 1st… I have been on hold had been hung up on and delayed numerous times… I have spent hours on the phone each time they keep mentioning the pre authorizations … I now dont know how to get this fixed… I think They are delaying because I will be moving to Medicare in April… not fair and with my psoriasis and the arthritis I am having a tough time moving… can I please get so help! Please I don't know what to do… they are to hard to get to and even harder trying to keep on the phone.. all this and I have patient assistance from Skyrizi…help

Desired outcome: Get mef

9:19 am EST

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - Billing problem

My wife and I have used BCBS for many years with Plan F with no problem until 11/7/2021 when there over billing by wife's monthly payment. It used to be 48.25 per month. They took out our bank account on 11/5/2021 $463.75 and 12/6/2021 $270.75 and 1/5/2022
$270.75. I tried calling them - no way to get person, they had too many calls about billing. I finally found a way to complain in an email after the December payment. I called them many days later and said that they were looking at my email and can't talk about it. After the 1/5/2022 I tried calling again - no rep available! I can not afford more over billing.

Desired outcome: Stop overbilling and refund the fraudually extra $$$

W
10:44 am EST

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - customer service

I work at a physician's office and I have to call to verify insurances for bcbs of nc. The wait time is ridiculous. You are on hold for over an hour regardless of what time you call. I cannot hang up, because I have to verify a patients' insurance so they can be seen at the office. The longest wait time is 2-3 hours. Unacceptable! How can we provide customer service for our patients to be seen in our facility if we cannot verify their benefits and eligibility. This is the worst insurance company hold time. No other insurance company from aetna, uhc, aarp, humana has you on hold this long for customer service. Yes you have a web site, but I need to speak to a live person each time. Worst hold time ever

11:59 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Hello, I hope you can help me. I was scheduled for surgery on Wednesday November 7 th for a fusion of the L5S1. My vertebrae is collapsed on my right side and is pinching my nerve causing me excruciating pain, my life is reduced to laying on the couch and taking pain killers, opiates, gabapentin. I am only 52 years old, in good shape otherwise and I can...

6:27 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

After calling and finding out I could not get info on my brother his web page was taken down. since then all the papers have been filed with bcbs. I cannot seem to log in. Changed password too. I keep trying to log in . I really would like to log in and see who is billing his account. I really like to keep track of his claims. The web site was taken down...

T
11:03 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had a reverse shoulder replacement on 7-18-17. Finely took off my my huge shoulder brace on 8-31-17 which was my first physical therapy session. PT for the first month is very minor because you can't start weight strengthening till week 11 after surgery. today 10-4-17 I was told I was cut down to once a week. The reason I was told was I was improving so...

A
11:21 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

$357 was never refunded to my mother who was left with no choice but to pay out of pocket for her prescription. At the time she was unemployed due to disability & was waiting for an answer from SS; she just happened to have cash in her pocket that she had borrowed to pay rent. When she spoke to bcbs CS; she was assured that the money would be refunded, told...

I
6:57 pm EST

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - health care

Ha. The local paper just reported that 2 executives at NC Blue Cross/Blue Shield got over one million dollar bonuses. These are the same people who just sent me a revised 'Explanation of Benefits' for a procedure I had done 10 months ago and had paid in full. They pretty much lied to me and said that the company that provided my service had refiled a claim with them for the service from 10 months ago(May, 2016). After multiple phone calls to the company who did the service, I felt certain they had not refiled anything. I also now believe this same issue is happening with thousands of people. Finally, after a whole lot of hassle and my request that they contact the other company, BCBS admitted that they had 'fixed an error' and that I am pretty much on the hook for something that happened 10 months ago. I filed an email claim with NC Insurance asking if that's even legal and what prevents them from coming back again, and again. Horrible thing to do while the few at the top rake in millions. I could not sleep at night if I stole from the little people. Horrible ethics and a dishonest company.

L
10:18 pm EST

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - blue cross blue shield

Absolutely worst experience of my adult life! Long and short of it, I have my 8 years old son and myself on an HMO plan. Without notice it went from $525 to $758 without warning and of course its automatic payment so I'm calling day after day to cancel and what do you know, not one of the 12 reps I got tossed around to could help! I'm so furious I could scream! Worst company ever! Steer clear...Awful..as bad as it gets😬😠😣😯

Update by Lanni
Feb 03, 2017 10:22 pm EST

Health insurance crook's game should be taken before a judge! Bcbs of Florida

F
8:57 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Initially I was happy with Florida Blue. Early on I wound up having to under go a major procedure. It was all handled well. Everything got done. I was impressed. It was during this time in Feb 2016 that I met my out of pocket max as well. Also good because now my coverage is 100% according to the policy. In one year I am on my 3rd Doctor. they all quit...

7:40 am EST

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - reimbursement

11-8-2016
reference number: 1-27193820896
agent: joedie m. In florida
2 years it took after over a dozens phone calls to get reimbursed for eyeglasses.
2 pertinent pieces of information were missing without which the check could not be send out.
After asking representatives for the right way to fill out the forms and confirming the forms and the faxes sent - still nobody until today was able to
1. Identify the problem
2. Address the problem
3. Resolve the problem.
I do wonder how this company works and is in existence?
lets say there are 10, 000 representatives employed, sitting their cubicles in florida.
My representative joedie and her supervisor were are 2 people out of 100 who were able to help.
So i am not a mathematician but 200 representatives out of 10, 000 are able to do their job and keep this company afloat?
amazing. Close to a miracle
seriously, this company is a disgrace to florida, to the united states and to our health system.
How can that be that it takes 2 years and 100 reps to figure out a minus issue that have been confirmed by that same company in the first place?
i called and spoke with quinton and i asked him pertinent questions about the company. He as a supervisor had no idea about his company.
I also told him that has he ever considered the fact that if the company is so careless about their customers doesn't he think they also are as careless about their employees?
food for thought
now next week i have to get new glasses and this whole process that should take up to 30 days may take...?
i will keep you updated

C
7:24 pm EDT

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - cobra: medical, dental & vision

On April 13, I paid almost $500 using my bank debit card for Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS) of GA COBRA because the US Government requires insurance coverage. Normally, I would use a credit card in case something happens, however, it required that my payment was in the form of debit card. Now, I know why! On April 19, I had dental surgery. The dentist put me on antibiotic and gave me something for pain. When I got to the pharmacy, my insurance was declined. I called COBRA administrator and BCBS and had them on the phone. I was told that it takes 10 days. So, I had to pay for the meds. On April 28, I called the vision company to order contacts. I was told that I was terminated. I called both COBRA and BCBS because I was not going to pay for May insurance and I could not get service in April. Then, my dentist called me this week and informed me that BCBS rejected my dental claim that was submitted on April 28 (more than 10 days). I had to pay them on Friday almost $400 because I don't want my credit ruin by BCBS. I would just like my money back. I am going to contact GA Insurance Commissioner and Health Care. Gov because I don't want to be penalized for not having insurance coverage when I did. BCBS/COBRA please refund my money immediately!

R
6:18 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

In November 2015 I went to my family doctor and complained of left shoulder soreness. Because I had a shoulder manipulation in 2012 my doctor referred me to the orthopedic surgeon. I saw him around the beginning of December. He quickly evaluated my issue as scar tissue forming from the shoulder manipulation which was causing irritation and nerve pressure...

R
11:19 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Blue Cross Blue Shield terminated health insurance for hundreds, possibly thousands of patients. They terminated the PPO through the Affordable Care Act. I have a patient on dialysis, who received a letter stating he terminated the insurance and the date it was terminated. He never received a letter that clearly states they terminated the insurance and the...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

We triple checked our insurance coverage booklets we received, found an in network provider, and had them verify that we would have our specialist visit covered by speaking to a representative from BCBS Florida themselves. She misquoted them. None of the services that we received were processed like she said they would be leaving us to pay hundreds of...

10:59 am EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My doctor order a prescription for blood monitor because I am on warfarin, after a month they don't process my prescription and I am without blood monitor testing and control, putting my life in risk. I call more than 50 times and spoke with several people and they redirect me to talk with there provider (alere) to deal direct with them (that is not suppose...

5:25 pm EDT

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - fraud

I began coverage in 02/2014 with BCBSFL. Used their website to locate a Dr. who told me, after several visits, that he did not take my insurance, leaving me with several thousand dollars of bills. I made payments for February, March & April and discovered in April, when I went to refill my insulin prescription that my insurance had been cancelled on March 31. I contacted BCBSFL to discover that yes, my policy had been cancelled for non payment in April. I explained that sent April's payment and they discovered that I had so, they stated that they would send me a refund for that payment. Several weeks went by and I received no payment, no calls from BCBSFL, still no letter stating that I had been cancelled. I contacted the marketplace and was advised that I had been terminated wrongly by BCBSFL so they did a review and I was told my insurance would be reinstated. I spoke again to BCBSFL, who was not contacting me mind you, and was advised that yes, my insurance was reinstated. So, back to the website to find a doctor. The address of the office was incorrect on the website and then, when I did locate it, across town from where it was listed, I was advised that my insurance card was inactive. I contacted BCBSFL and they verified that yes, my insurance was inactive due to bills I owed for the months that they had cancelled my insurance. WHAT? I was cancelled and had no coverage at all, how can you possibly charge me for a service that you were not providing? Terrible, bad, horrible experience. I will never deal with them again and would strongly recommend others not do business with them either.

G
8:59 am EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I moved to another state and needed to change my insurance provider. I went to Highmark Blue Cross Blue Shield. I spoke with the representative and he told me that they would help me. I told her all required info and told what the previous insurance covered. But it turned out that the new insurance didn’t cover lab and xray costs. But no one informed me...

H
1:35 pm EST

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] - non-payment of claims

I am writing to inform you of the ongoing difficulty I've encountered with Horizon BCBC of NJ. After ten months of numerous written correspondence and phone calls and promises to call me back, I find myself in a position where nothing has been accomplished regarding several claims from various medical providers submitted to my Horizon policy. Depending on which phone call I make to them or letters I receive from them I'm told something different. Supervisors tell me they will call me back on a predetermined day or that they will send me specific forms and I don't receive either the forms or the phone call. I've been told that Horizon requires additional documentation and questionaires from providers, and then I'm told they have received all of the necessary documents. When I call to inquire on the status of my claims I am told once again that they haven't received the documents that they told me they had previously received. Horizon has informed me that two of the questionaires they received from two different providers were returned "blank'. T've been told that the documents went to the wrong department within Horizon and sat there for thirty-four days until I called again. Each explanation requires additional time and more requests for duplicate documents. I've lost all confidence in Horizon and I don't believe that they have made a genuine effort regarding my claims. The only thing that has not been lost or sent to the wrong department is my monthly premium which is $399.49, just for me. If I took as long as Horizon, to pay my premium, they would terminate my policy. Just as they expect to be paid in a timely manner I also expect my claims to be handled ethically and fairly. I've adhered to all of Horizon's policies and specific instructions regarding only seeking medical treatment from "in-network" providers, submitting all the preadmission authorization forms and paying all of the co-pays as required in my policy. I've never encountered such delays, miscommunications, and mishandling of important documents as I have with Horizon. I believe that they are purposefully delaying their different "review" processes to intentionally stall so that I'm beyond my appeal time limit. I don't believe that horizon has diligently tried to do anything to resolve this issue. Currently, I'm receiving billing statements from different providers and they want to be paid. I've been advised by these providers that I have incurred thousands of dollars in medical expense liability due to Horizon's unwillingness to complete their "review" process. Horizon tells me to give them their provider's service phone number, evidently this doesn't accomplish anything because I still receive their statements. I'm at atotal disadvantage and have never dealt with a "reputable" company with as much difficulty as I have experienced with Horizon. I've curtailed all of my medical treatment and also the most basic annual medical tests for fear of being put through this same ordeal. For $399.49 per month I am not able to seek any type of medical treatment without fear of delays, denials, and additional medical expenses. I don't believe that Horizon has acted properly or made any effort to remedy this matter. I don't want to pay them another penny for healthcare and am looking for a "legitimate" health care insurance company because I certainly have not found this with Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey.

1 comment
Jul 27, 2013 1:14 pm EDT

Got their coverage April 1st and claim my Hernia and Urinary Track Infection as pre-existing condition. My doctors don't agree with them, and they keep refusing and continue to claim pre-existing.

Blue Cross Blue Shield Association [BCBSA] contacts