Menu
GEICO
reviews & complaints

GEICO
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

500 complaints
67 resolved 433 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of GEICO. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
M
4:42 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My husband and I have been Geico customers for close to 20 years. We have a Toyota Tundra that is fully paid for, that we choose to keep full coverage insurance on, even though we aren't required to. In February 2022 my husband was rear ended by a full size Econoline van, smashing the bumper and leaving our truck making a horrible screeching sound ever...

D
5:52 pm

GEICO - My collision coverage Policy # 4581-08-58-91

Hello,

I had an auto policy with Geico for years.

I have never been in accident expect in the first day of this month 6/1/2022.

I was denied all services that I knew it is included in my coverage for years.

I was supposed to get Road assistance and Towing service.

I was supposed to have an adjustor and inspection for my car and to get a report about how that accident took place.

It was a fatal situation since my air bag did not open and my chest was bumped into the stirring wheel and I was taken to the hospital for evaluation.

Geico was absent during all the time of that accident and I called them every single day after the accident and every time I call the agent transfer the call to someone else claiming that it was not his/her area of expertise.

Then they came up with a story that my coverage was canceled by someone either in 2020 or in Jan 22, which is a total lie. I never asked any agent to change my policy. Andrew, one of their agents told me that there has been a change in their system and some policies were changed for some computer glitch. In brief, they are procrastinating and I am very frustrated with my car considered totaled and rental is denied although I have it in my policy.

It is all inappropriate action and no one is capable of helping me to restore what was dropped off out of my policy.

I am supposed to be not at fault in that accident but no inspection so far by Geico and I am in a "pending status" since Geico is denying all my rights in having a decent service.

I asked to talk to a manager, they said they didn't have one so how can I get this decently solved?

I need my dropped off coverage to be restored back to my policy and get it applied to my claim pls ASAP to be able to resume my life.

Desired outcome: Pls refund me the amount that I paid for the towing: $861Pls restore my collision coverage and apply it to my claim and process it accordinglyThank you

D
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have been a customer of Geico for over 30 years for my auto policy. I decided to add the homeowners to get the discounted bundle rates approximately 7 years ago. My rates went up every year and in 2018 tripled. I called Geico to inquire for better rates and was told at that time those were "the best rates". I TRUSTED Geico, so never sought out other rate...

4:16 pm
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

GEICO - GEICO not willing to work with me on a payment plan for past due charges.

My wife and I are in a very serious financial crisis at this time. I have talked to several different people and they will not help in any way. I only owe a little over $200 and have been paying $25.00 pet month. But they are turning my account over to a collection agency. I feel confident I can work out a payment plan with them which will be reported to the credit bureaus which wil probably affect my credit for seven years. They are the only creditor who have refused to work with us to keep our account out of collection.

Desired outcome: A payment plan I can work with.

Update by j&dl
May 02, 2022 4:18 pm

Poor customer service!

3:24 pm

GEICO - Geico auto insurance.

Geico has a false claim reported on my record for over 2 years. Various attempts to have it removed over the past two years have only come with promises of removal, then absolutely no action whatsoever. I had a door knocker window replacement salesman come to my door. I NEVER do business at the door, ever! I refused any and all services. One phone call to Geico to question the validity of this process resulted in an actual claim against my record. No repairs, no replacement, no claim, no money ever paid to anyone. Yet they put it on my record as if it happened. When asked why, they say any call for information will go against my record as if it happened... I got so many excuses, so many stories of why, yet they all agreed that it was wrong, that it didn't exist and that it would be removed. The minute they placed the false claim on my record, any attempt to switch to another company comes back with artificially inflated rates. due to a "claim". I have been in contact with LexusNexus and Geico over 8 times over a year and half and each time I am given promises and each time nothing has been done. Their tactics are not only deceitful, underhanded, and just plain wrong but they should be illegal. My guess is that they are illegal, yet they continue. this practice. My latest attempt to speak with a supervisor was refused and resulted with being disconnected by them for bringing up their previous class action suit against them for these exact same actions. Another call and request to speak to supervisor came with a promise that I would be contacted asap... Again, another false promise. They never called. All this just to retain customers after they see the inflated rates given by competitors. because of a false claim. FOUL! I would avoid this company at all costs. Look up all the lawsuits against them for other underhanded tactics. There are more than enough to stay away.

Desired outcome: I want this removed once and for all. An insurance claim is a formal request for payment made by someone to their policy provider. There was no payment, no service, no validation for this false claim.

G
9:11 pm

GEICO - insurance claim 0540591760101021

A driver from the opposite direction on a two lane street crossed the yellow line to swerve into a parking space on the opposite side of the street, right in front of my son who collided with him. The other driver admitted it was his fault. But the GEICO adjustor asked my son if he took evasive action, to which my son answered no. GEICO used this answer to deny his claim to fix the damage because, the adjustor states in AL unless the other is 100% at fault, the insurance company doe not have to pay.

Of course if my son had tried to avoid the collision he could have swerved into oncoming traffic, or smashed into parked cars on the right.

This is a sleazy way of GEICO not having to pay any claim by merely asking the trick question and having the biased adjustor assign even a single percent of blame to the innocent driver.

I will have to take GEICO to small claims court to recover damages. I have asked the adjustor for the criteria on how to assign these breaches, and did not get any information.

I will ask for my son's car's damages to be repaired, and costs associated with me having to travel from Memphis to Mobile, round trip, lodging, lost wages etc. This could have been avoided by being reputable.

Desired outcome: I merely want my son's car's damages repaired. Approx $1800.00

GEICO - auto insurance

My auto renewal was up for renewal. I pay all my bills online through my bank. My payment to Geico was processed and sent to Geico on March 17, 2022.

I just received a letter from the DMV stating I had a lapse of insurance and am subject to a civil penalty for this lapse. After calling Geico immediately, I found out that they never received the check from my bank. I followed up with my bank immediately and had them cancel the check sent. I then immediately called Geico back to make a payment so that I have insurance coverage. They informed me that the new premium came to $699. The previous premium was $489. I told them that this situation was beyond my control and that I have documentation that my bank withdrew the $489 and proof that the payment was sent on 3/17. I was then informed by the agent that the only way they would reinstate my coverage was having to pay the $699.

I find this outrageous and absurd. I have been a customer for years and have always made my payments on time. I will be leaving Geico, and will be making sure that others hear about this and do not make the same mistake using them as their insurance carrier. Just amazes me how they would treat a customer with solid payment history like this.

Hide full review

GEICO - Asking for more money after the policy was cancelled

I received an email a few days ago from Geico asking for 107.00 that was passed due. This policy was cancelled on 6/29/20212, I called Geico for a final payment which was $147.19 that came from their rep. over the phone. After receiving the email, I called, the rep. I told me it was due to a speeding ticket I got in 2014, I told them this is wrong I did not but even if I got a ticket, it's up to them to check my license every year. I called back again to get more info 20 mins later on 4/13/2022, this rep. tells me that is wrong, the reason she gave me this time was that I cancelled the policy on 6/29/2021 they claim they covered me from 6/7/2021- 6/29/2021and that's what the $107.00 comes from. Now they are coming back asking for more money 10 months later. They have given me 2 excuses; they are poorly trained, and the accounting has a problem. Please help

Desired outcome: I don't think they get to come back 10 months later after I received a final price

12:54 pm

GEICO - Geico underwriting department via docusign

I keep getting mesages saying "GEICO sent you a document to review and sign" from GEICO Underwriting Department via DocuSign. A copy of the email is attached below which is all I have regarding their request.

I need for them to Send it to me in PDF or some other form that I can print. I can then read it , understand it, print a fresh copy, sign it and mail it in or fax it in to you. Just like we did in the old days.

Desired outcome: Send it to me in PDF or some other form that I can print. I can then read it , understand it, print a fresh copy, sign it and mail it in or fax it in to you. Just like we did in the old days.

A
3:05 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Geico assured me back in June 2021 I was covered for both my car and motorcycle for roadside assistance so I allowed my AAA Membership to lapse in December. On March 1st, 2022 my motorcycle broke down on the way to work and I was stuck at a gas station for 8 hours and had to call in a 3rd party wrecker to get the bike home at a cost of $250. Geico when...

E
10:34 am

GEICO - Auto repair

Incident happen 12/16/2021 - reported to geico they me take photos of damage and you based the estimate on the photos. I questioned if there was damage that can't be seen on the photos what happens? I asked if should I take it to a shop to have them look before you do estimate and I was told no. So were are we, more damaged was found and the parts may take a month to get and my rental will run out. Geico will not extend the rental. If geico would have phyisicialy looked at the damages I would be in this situation. Basically geico is more concerned about there bottom line and not the customer. They are happy that I am not happy. I thought insurance companies are to be there for you when you need them? I can tell you that geico is not. I will be spreading the word on social media to tell people to stay away from geico.

Desired outcome: Extend rental

GEICO - Insurance

Had Geico over 20 years. I always had roadside assistant. I had used it twice in all these years. Last year when my car broke down, they told me that roadside assistant was taken off a few years back (the last time I switched to a newer car), without me knowing. They also told me they were sending me a check for $180.00 when I took my second car off the road and they only sent me $80.00. They also were overcharging me over twice as much as State Farm. Been a safe driver my whole life and that's how they reward me. Glad I switched. Won't be recommending them anymore.

C
11:31 pm

GEICO - Claims adjuster not returning my calls

I filed a claim in August 2021. Part of it was denied by an adjuster who never reached out to me. My car was in repair for 3 weeks then Geico had me to pick up my car without it being repaired. I was told they would send me a check in the mail for the repair amount, which was never received. I was calling the new 3rd adjuster that was assigned to me to ask questions, he stopped answering his phone and stopped returning my calls.

Desired outcome: Payment for the amount to repair my car.

N
1:25 pm

GEICO - Claims

Geico is quick to sell you insurance but will ignore and delay you when you file a claim . You will not get resolution thru the phone noone will answer no matter how long you wait. You dont have a claim representative but a team that never attends to you. They will say someone will call you but no one does. It is frankly embarrassing. Do not get Geico insurance .

Desired outcome: Get the service we paid for

K
Jan 22, 2022 7:00 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

On 1/2/2022 I purchased a new auto vehicle which Geico insured and issued insurance ID cards. On 1/14/2022 Geico sent me an email acknowledging Geico made an error and informed the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in New York State that my newly purchased vehicle was NOT insured which resulted in my driver’s license being placed at risk of suspension, DMV removing the registration from my vehicle and not allowing me to drive the vehicle. Geico continued to charge me for a service I could not utilize on a daily basis. Geico asked me to contact DMV on my own to resolve this matter. On 1/18/2022 I finally spoke a live person, Troy from the Geico Internet Management team from Virginia who denied that the 1/14/22 email was an admission on their part that Geico did anything wrong. He reported while their electronic submissions are not infallible, they can in no way be responsible for this error. When I inquired about how Geico knows their electronic submissions are sent successfully and accurately, he said Geico cannot attest to that and admitted Geico did not have a clue how this occurred or what happened but Geico is certain it was not Geico’s error at all despite the 1/14/2022 email reporting otherwise.

Geico incurs no risk to these errors made on their end yet the consumer absorbs the risk of losing their driving privileges which results in possibly losing their employment, not meeting family/education/child care needs that rely on vehicle transportation and costs for goods/services not able to be accessed. This places undue stress onto the consumer and demonstrates Geico does not act in good faith and this raises serious questions about their lack of internal controls and business practices. It does not meet the expectation of paying for goods/services when they are not being provided in real time yet costs are incurred. This raises concerns on Geico's ability to ensure consumer protection occurs and ensure fraud, waste and abuse are not occurring by this for profit corporation.

These material weaknesses do not align with Federal Trade Commission, Department of Consumer Affairs and Better Business Bureau standards.

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Just The Stats On GEICO • Tony Nicely, Executive Chairman • Bill Roberts, Vice Chairman • Todd Combs, President and CEO • Second-largest private passenger auto insurer in the United States What company owns GEICO? GEICO is a wholly owned subsidiary of a multinational holding company called Berkshire Hathaway. For those interested, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK...

S
4:45 pm

GEICO - Accident Claim #8681910420000003

On September 17, 2021, we moved out of our home and were staying in a hotel room until our new home was ready. Jim and I were still dealing with our goods in the storage unit. We decided to drive separately to our storage unit on September 19, 2021. My husband, Jim, had the green light and proceeded heading east through the intersection of Marcom and Socrum Loop, I was right behind him. As he was passing through the intersection another car, coming from the opposite direction, made a left turn right in to him. She crashed into his vehicle and the driver side of his Mercedes Benz was damaged, no longer driveable. Both the other driver and Jim's car were towed. Jim's car was towed by Webb's Towing at the following address:
3026 E. Main St
Lakeland, FL 33801
(863) 687-0304

The police report indicated that it was the other driver's fault. Within a couple of days of the accident, the other driver's insurance, GEICO, acknowledged that the fault of the accident was 100% their insured driver.

Over a month and 1/2 has passed and GEICO has still not paid on the claim. Multiple calls to them have yielded the information that they "are still investigating, " and that "the person who decides on paying the check is out of town, " and other odd responses.

To date, we are still waiting for GEICO Insurance to pay for the destruction of Jim's 2007 Mercedes Benz. The car only had 74, 000 miles on it, was in excellent condition, and should have value. Webb's Towing has the Mercedes and they are now demanding payment for the days that the vehicle has been at their location. They threaten to put a lien on our vehicle since it is in our name. The amount they want is $1600, that amount is climbing every day. I have researched this and found out that it is not my husband who should be paying the bill, it should be paid by GEICO Insurance Company. The following is an answer I received from my question about who is responsible for paying for the towing storage.

The answer depends on who was the at-fault driver (that is, which driver caused the
accident to occur). If you caused the accident, then the towing and storage fees are
your responsibility. However, if the other driver caused the accident, they (or their insurance company) is responsible for paying for the storage fees.

Ironically, another accident occurred on October 19 with our other vehicle, a Honda Civic, 2013. That vehicle also was totaled. As a result, we are transportation challenged- we have no vehicles to drive now. The second accident occurred at 8 in the morning after my husband dropped me off at work. He was heading East on Memorial Blvd when he entered the intersection at Canal Street. There is a curve at the intersection and just as he came out of the curve the sun was blinding his view and he couldn't see, thus, causing the second accident to occur.

State Farm Insurance paid for a rental vehicle since we no longer has a vehicle to drive. Within a few days, State Farm paid the claim. GEICO Insurance has had our insurance claim since September 19, 2021 and has done nothing about the claim. Their delay has caused problems for us with regard to replacing our vehicles. Also, State Farm is only paying for 1 week of the rental car. The additional remaining days of the rental car is our responsibly. GEICO should have paid for our rental car as well since they have had over a month to send us payment. They seem to be doing nothing to advance our claim. It appears that they are hoping that we just go away.

Dates to Consider:
9/22/2021 - Geico's representative, "Mary" told Jim that Geico acknowledged that the accident was 100% their client's fault.

Several other calls in which the agent told me that they were still "Investigating"

10/11/2021 - Jim was asked the location of his car - so it had been about 3 weeks of "Investigation, time in which we were waiting on their decisions, without them even seeing the car or doing anything about towing and storage fees.

10/15/2021 - We still had no news. At this time, they asked me if I was going to pay Webb's Towing fees.

10/20/2021 - Jim was told that the person who signs the checks was out of town.

10/25/2021 - Jenny (Jenny took over the account from Mary on 10/18/2021) repeated that the person who signs the checks was out of town.

No further communication from Geico and the costs keeping rising at Webb's Storage.

Please advise us of when we may expect payment for our loss.

Desired outcome: Desired outcome is that we be compensated for the damages incurred on the 2007 Mercedes Benz

K

GEICO - C/S help

Signed up in August. We've had at least 50 emails telling us our ez drive app is not working. Took our phones to Geico office. They are up and working. Corporate said they've not taken our discount. Ha ha. They did. Wrote to Mister Coombs CEO of Geico. He contacted Mr. Malloy VP of Geico who then Contacted by Joy who did nothing. Emails kept coming. Then the letters telling us we lost our discount. Over and over and over. I had spoken to so many people it was unbelievably crazy. They never fixed the problem. It's now the middle of October. We've totally lost our discount. By the way we are being graded as excellent with the APP that's WORKING! I stayed up late last night looking for insurance which I found. Filed a serious complaint with Ohio Dept of insurance. Posting on Facebook and Instagram. DONT USE THIS COMPANY!

Desired outcome: Hahahahaha. We left. I just want all to know

R
5:32 pm

GEICO - bills to be paid re. claim #0037172070102203

I submitted 2 bills to my adjuster 2 weeks ago and he still did not send me the check . one for towing and one for cell phone loss that was damaged due to the accident please investigate and advise me .I been with Geco for 30 years I expect better treatment . the date of loss was 9-2-2021 and I sent the bills via fax on or about 9-6-2021 and Geico told they received my fax it is on the system please investigate Thanks

T

My complaint is Geico is not like they were years ago, they have the worse services for auto and renters insurance. The agents lack professionalism even the supervisors and the agents talk like they are in fear of saying the wrong information. Takes weeks to get back to you N I can go on and on, but why they are not going to change. Warning Military people do not keep Geico and please shop around for better auto services and the renter services are better.

S
4:25 pm

GEICO - Customer service

One of your agents named Katie called about my claim. She left a message for me to return her call. I called back and was put on hold for 26 minutes. When I finally got some one to answer, I told them I was returning Katies phone call. The person that answered was Rose. She told me to wait a minute and she would transfer my call. Then I was disconnected. I am not going to be put on hold for another 20 plus minutes!
Your customer service sucks!

Feb 11, 2022 5:26 pm

I was emailed to contact Customer Service. I returned the call and spoke to a female. This was on February 9th, 2022. She told me she was contacting me about an authorized driver being involved in an accident. I asked her when it happened. My car was not involved but my authorized driver, my sister, also has car insurance with Geico. She told me recently. I asked again for the date and she put me on hold, then, came back on and said very recently. I got off the phone in a panic that my sister had been in an accident that day. I called police and hospitals since my sister wasn't answering my calls. I was in full blown panic trying to find out if she was hurt or dead. One I got hold of my sister and told her what happened, she called Geico and they didn't show any recent accident information. The last accident report was in 2019. I am livid that Customer Service wouldn't give me specific information and put me through hell worrying about my sister. This happened at about 4:40 pm on 2/9/2022. They should be trained better. I am thinking about changing car insurance at this point.

Janis Moore

7:35 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Beware of geico. We had geico for 49 years! My mom passed away, and despite three payments they cancelled my insurane without any notication. Choose a company that provides customer service 1. Geico did not arrive on two separate occasions for their so-called roadside assistance. 2. I was broadsided by anther Geico driver. Geico said I was at fault, yet...

GEICO contacts