Sears / Nordictrack Treadmill / do not buy warranties from sears

Purchased a treadmill from Sears in August 2006 for $1700 and a 5 year warranty for $475. Allegedly covers all parts and service. Called to request service, sears claimed Nordictrack was to service. Nordictrack claimed extended warranty was covered by Sears. Spent 50 minutes being transferred between companies - Sears claimed they had no record of the warranty. Finally put in queue for UTS (Universal Technical Services) and was on hold for one hour 18 minutes. UTS finally answered and said someone would call within 6 business days to schedule an appointment. Could not tell me who would actually be calling me from local area as UTS doesn't actually do repair work in my state. Similar situation with a vacuum repair, an oven repair. DO NOT BUY WARRANTIES FROM SEARS. You are better off to pay for service as you need it and pursue other channels if your product is a lemon, including paying with other Credit that protects the consumers. Be sure to document all calls, contact names if possible, technician names and alleged repairs requested. Sears business model is geared toward investors and not consumers.

Sp

Comments

22nd of Feb, 2010

I agree. We reported trouble with our treadmill in July of 2009. Our warranty was to expire in December. It took a week to get the parts that the person at UTS thought might be required. Then it took a couple more for the company that services our area to come out, only for them to say they needed another part. This has continued for several months with about 4 actual visits by the technicians. Just before December, I was assured by UTS that since the servicing of the equipment was begun prior to the expiration of the warranty, they would continue to fix the treadmill. As of today, February 22, 2010, parts shipped to us remain un-opened, waiting for another visit from Icon Technologies. Not worth the extended warranty offered by Nordictrak and Sears.

• Da
      11th of May, 2010

couldn't agree more with the last sentence. i have spent days, DAYS on the phone with sears and nordictrack. i can't talk about it anymore. just don't do it.

• Do
      17th of Feb, 2013

I've received a terrible run around similar to that which is described by others. Very poor service. In short, don't buy the warranty it's not worth it as far as I'm concerned. The Sears rep I spoke with initially was extremely rude and basically her attitude was too bad you're on your own, Sears isn't responsible even though they sold me the machine and it was never explained to me what aggravation I was buying into. Sears, UTS and Nordic Track and the "local contractor" were all at fault.