Complaints & Reviews

poor delivery

On December 29, 2007, we spent $1,417 at Sears (Sherway Gardens, Toronto) for a new front loading washing machine ($1099), pedestal ($199), installation ($85) delivery and old machine removal ($50). We were happy with the purchase and looked forward to our new machine that was to arrive on January 4, 2008. As instructed, prior to delivery, I carefully detached the hoses from the old washer and moved it out into the hall to make the job of the delivery/removal people easier. All they had to do was lift it up small flight of stairs (no rail) and out the side door (taken off). When the delivery personnel arrived they wanted to move the new washer in but refused to move the old washer out, despite it being written on the bill "SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: PLEASE REMOVE AND DISPOSE OF OLD WASHER". I would not allow them to merely drop the washer off without fulfilling their total obligations ($50 see above). I phoned Sears immediately to sort things out and to my surprise, while I was trying to contact someone at Sears, the delivery people simply drove away. This all occurred within 15 minutes.

After contacting Sears, two new delivery people were sent the next evening. In the meantime, my 150 lb son and I moved the old washer outside. This took us about 5 minutes. The new delivery people easily removed the old washer and easily moved the new one in. While they did scratch and stretch a spot on a new floor, I did not complain as I was happy to have the new washer in place. They placed the washer on the pedestal, attached the hoses and left. I was provided with instructions on how to install it correctly. While I was grateful for their keen delivery, unfortunately, they did not level the washer and on the first wash it started to walk across the floor during the spin cycle.

After contacting Sears again, an installation person was dispatched to properly install the washer (part of the total price included $85 for installation). This individual used my small level but did not want to wait around to check whether the leveling worked since "that would take an hour". After my wife showed him that it would only take a 20 min spin, he did observe the machine with no load and it appeared fine. However, the large yellow sheet that comes with the washer clearly states that it "MUST BE LEVELED WITH A LOAD" to properly balance the machine. This information was provided not ignored. Not surprisingly, once a load was placed in the machine, it violently vibrated during the spin cycle and it sounded like a helicopter was above our house. To obtain a quiet spin cycle, the feet of the machine had to be adjusted each time during the spin cycle.

I was not prepared to babysit an $1100 washing machine and contacted Sears to properly install the washer. The sales people at Sears offered to replace the machine but could not since the model had been discontinued. At this point, I requested a refund. Sears agreed and a pick up date and time was established. Again, I removed the hoses and moved the machine away from the wall and carefully prepared (ice and snow removal from the side of the house) for pick up. When the "pick up" people (the same people as the first delivery) arrived, they came into the basement but refused to take the machine away since it was still on the pedestal.

I contacted Sears and talked to a woman named "Diane" that would not and could not provide the name her superior or anyone at head office. She did give me a phone number for their head office. Unfortunately, I must have copied the number down incorrectly and when I called back and talked to "Christina", she would not provide me with any such number since she did not know of, or have any such number to provide me with. She could and did provide me with the address for the head office. Using a reverse 411, I obtained the phone number for the head office at Sears. I also arranged for the washer to be picked up again –a 12 hour interval on Saturday was the best they could do. I removed the eight ¼ inch screws that attach the pedestal to the washer and lifted it off the pedestal. The next day, two individuals came and within 10 minutes removed the washer and pedestal.

I contacted someone at Sears head office to explain this nightmare and she was willing to refund the cost of the washer and pedestal but not the cost of the installation ($85) or delivery ($50) cost. After my objection, she decided to refund the full cost to our credit card.

• Do
    Donald Lemay Mar 11, 2008

To whom it may concern.
    March 11th, 2008

On February 27th, i had sent an email to you
    customer service for a formal complaint.

details, on feb 25th, 2008 , i went to your service
    center in St Laurent, QC on Cavendish blvd.
    to get my Jig Saw repair. For ur information , i had
    received this tool as a gift from my wife on November
    2004. with a 2 years warranty.
    Now, tool was still working, but the blade was not
    moving anymore. The answer i recv from the
    person at the counterwas as follow.

we do not repair these tools, because the parts are to
    expensive. Best thing to do, is in the garbage and by
    an other one. I was very unsatisfyed with the
    answer from the gentleman. I did not want free repair,
    all i want was to get it fix.

Now, 1 week later, after giving my phone number,
    my address and postal code to your customer service,
    and email to Robyn in beleive this is the good way
    of spelling, i was adv that my warranty was over
    and there was nothing that Sears could do.

Now, i have many more tools from Craftman and
    in fact they are very good tools and i am very happy
    with these tools.But, my concern is, if i have
    problem with the other one, i should put them in
    the garbage and maybe buy something else
    somewhere at a cheaper price.

For ur information , i am a regular customer
    from sears since 1985 ,plus my wife and my son.
    We have bought different items at Sears
    Fridge, dvd and alsoa brand new TV not to long
    ago.
    sears use to fix these tools before, because i brought
    some for repairs and even a VCR.

Could you please adv if something could be done
    in regards to this problem that i have.

tk's very much for your time

looking forward to hear from you.

Donald Lemay
    597 7 th avenue
    Lachine,QC
    Canada H8S 2Z7

feel free to verify my profile

• Je
    Jennifer Mallett Apr 30, 2008

Hi I am writing to tell you how unsatisfied I am with your portrait studio, I picked up my pictures yesturday only to find I spent $150.00 on pictures with the workers hair in them, they told me it was my fault I picked them that way, who in their right mind would pick a 10 by 13 wall picture with someones hair in it? But they refused to discount or refund my money. I am very unsatisfied with the service and will not be returning!!! And I will NOT be telling people to go their! I wish I could have had a better experience I have never been treated so poorly in my entire life!

• Sh
    sharon cairns Feb 11, 2012

hi i am sending this message to let you know i am not satified with a mattress i recieved in aug. 2008. iT broke down on the sides so sears send a guy out to check it. he said it was completely ruined. it had a 10 year warranty on it. phoned customer service to see what sears would do. they said i could order a new mattress but the one i had purchased was no more so to order another one which i could not find, in the same price. the lady did find one and ordered it. when it came it was a piece of crap so phoned again. they told me to find another one and send this one back after some serious talking. so now i found one but it will cost me the difference which was 81.47 which i paid. the costumer service said i can not change again. Guess what the mattress i recieved is another piece of crap so now i am stuck with a mattress that is no good. i guess now i will go and buy another one someplace else it is so sad as sears used to be good on the returns and guarntees.

outside contractor serviced blower and after 15 minutes run time motor seized sears or contractor will not even consider any help

had recall done by outside contractor on briggsand stratton engine after running engine seized neither contractor ar sears will help contractor says they do not take out drain plug tochange oil which could be true but it is the filler plug that was missing but sears nor service people will listen al theysay is I should have checked oil before running what they do not listen is there was oil on start up but it leaked out through the missing plug also they broke of a bolt in cover which they also deny doing i feel i got totaly shafted by sears and the contractor who by the way is not even a reconized dealer for briggs and stratton

[Resolved] misrepresented warranty!

I purchased a new top of the line die hard battery with 3 year free replacement from sears,4 months shy of...

[Resolved] sears master protection agreement is a joke

We purchased a Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator, a Range (Stove), a Range Hood and a dishwasher with an...

[Resolved] scam and rip off!

We have bought all our appliances from Sears and we have had no complaints until now. We bought a brand new stove that was delivered to our home while I was at work , my husband was home and let the men in little did we know that they have delivered a damaged stove to us. I not having a new stove in over 15 years, I thought it was just me needing to get use to a new stove. I kept trying different things to get my cakes and bars and hams and turkeys to bake right they would get burned on the back side of the stove and be still not done in the front of the stove. I did call the store and talk with the manager and got no satisfaction from that. Now we are having problems with the top burners, they will not light, they click and click because it is a electric start gas stove ( Kenmore) but will not light.

We have had a repairman come out now two times he has to come back again with parts for the burner. We purchased the extended warranty. I have called the sears store again to inform them that their manager did not get back to us after he sent out a inspector to see the damaged stove, that we informed him about, only to find out that he is no longer in that position at that store. I really love the appliances that we have purchased from Sears and we have this one compliant and would like to have a new stove that we paid full price for instead of this damaged stove that someone else might have ordered and we got instead.

I would really like to be acknowledged about this instead of being told that they will have to investigate this and then never getting called back, it is like being nonexistent, and unimportant.

RESOLVED

• Sears's response · May 01, 2013

Dear Marie Jungroth,
    We apologize for the troubles you been having with your stove and the repair of the same. My name is Edwin and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. We would like to look into this further and provide you any necessary assistance in getting this issue resolved. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Marie Jungroth), phone # used at time of purchase to [email protected] We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Edwin C.
    Social Media Moderator
    Social Media Support Team

• Du
    Duane L F Sep 06, 2012

We purchased replacement windows from sears with a "lifetime"warranty. The windows cost $5700. At the time of the sale we were told that if a window failed, or got broken, they would ship a new window at NO COST. I would be required to pay for instillation unless it was a removable section. The seal failed in a removable section causing the inside of the double pane to cloud over. I called Sears--I was told it'd be $100 to come out and check the window and that I would have to pick up the replacement window AT THE FACTORY, whatever state that may be in--or country. Needless to say, our new siding wasn't from Sears, nor the front door and attic insulation. Sears will not honor warranties--period! Useless to talk to them

• Ca
    carhop122 Sep 06, 2012

It look like your husband is a very stupid person for not inspecting the stove while the delivery people was there.

• Al
    Albeert Apr 25, 2013

It looks like the people at Sears are even more stupid for not installing the stove properly like they were supposed to. It wasn't the husbands job to inspect anything. When you purchase something, you should be able to trust the company you purchased it from.

[Resolved] extremely poor customer service!

My husband and I have been a sears customer, especially for tools and appliances, for over 20 years. I will...

terrible experience!

After a lifetime of being a devoted Sears customer, I will never do business with Sears again. Bought a $2000 GE refrigerator w/ 5 yr warranty. Had a problem, called Service. My mistake.

2/5/08
Scheduled svc for 2/6 8:00-12:00. Was told that I would get a call after 8:00 am. Provided my cell and home phone #s.

2/6 Appt #1
Got a msg at 7:45 am from the tech, while in the shower. No call back number. Immediately called Svc [protected]. Told them I would be out until 8:30 taking the kids to school, so to have the tech call my cell. However, he came at 8:20 and called my home phone that he was there. Got home at 8:30, called Svc again, who said they would have the tech return. Nothing. Called 5-6 times each time being told the tech would call w/in 30 mins. Finally, at 1:30 I rescheduled for next morning 8:00-12:00.

2/7 Appt #2 & #3
After 9:00 am called Svc who claimed that my service WASN'T IN THE SYSTEM! Had to reschedule for 8:00-5:00. Was told the tech would call sometime to confirm.

Called Sears [protected] to complain. While looking at my log, said that MY 8:00-5:00 SERVICE HAD BEEN REJECTED! Funny, nobody called to tell me. Said that I had to reschedule, so I asked for the (MA) District Svc Mgr. After 10 mins got a number [protected].

Appt #4
I called and was told that the Svc Mgr was not in and to call the 800 number. After insistence, a Jim Louder said that my service was rescheduled for 2/8. I told him that 3 days off from work was unacceptable. He said to schedule service for a Saturday, not caring what I had been through. I insisted on service today, but he would not commit or commit to a call back for yes or no.

So, now I will make it my goal to find someone high enough in the Sears organization who actually gives a rats @$$ about customers, so that they understand why I will never be one again. I will also spread the word so that others don't have to suffer through the Sears Service Nightmare.

MARIAN O. LANGSTON Oct 19, 2007

SEARS refused to give me an adjustment for a Craftsman cordless polesaw less than two years old that no longer works. I ordered from Sears a new battery and a new charger totaling $86.00, but it still doesn't work. Sears refused to:

1)make some kind of adjustment for the polesaw either an exchange, or partial refund;
    2)refund me my money for the new charger and battery even though I had receipts, stating I had ordered the charger and battery on line this month. The store manager says the individual stores cannot refund online merchandise EVEN THOUGH THE ONLINE SITE CLEARLY STATES YOU CAN TAKE ANY ITEM ORDERED ONLINE AND RETURN IT TO ANY SEARS STORE.
    I walked out leaving the pole saw, the battery and the charger. I'm a SEARS "preferred" customer since 1974. Today I canceled my credit card. I will never walk into a SEARS store again. I surely miss the integrity of the "old" SEARS stores. Everything they have is made in China and of course because it's "crap" they can no longer stand behind it.

noobcycle Nov 23, 2007

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA I LOVE THIS ONE OOOO BOY !!

SO SEARS WHO HAS THE BEST REFUND POLICY ON EARTH WHO ALLOWS you to drag in your rusted ,broken dented ,non working 1 year old merchandise is not good enough now you want 2 years??? well hell why not make everything a buy it once and if it ever dies or has a problem it os forever reefundable ??? i mean that way there wont be a single store left on earth?? ewhy because no one will be able to sell anything at some point in time everyone will be just shopping to exchange stuff no new sales ever !! hahahaahah

dude get off it stop being a cheap ### buy a new one !
    and next time buy a replacement agreement they are for 2 years instead of the regular 1 year store warrenty this is by the way the only time ill ever recommend a warrenty is on power tools !! you can beat the crap out of em and smile when retuning them lol

so now you are going to shop somewere else lol ok well cant wait till u try and return something anywere else its 30 days partneR (: so good luck!

• Hw
    H wiggins Dec 08, 2007

You are correct. Sears should call it Customer NO Service. I ordered a washing machine on line and was told that it was shipped out, only to call back two days later to find out if it was delivered to the store for pickup, and was told that it was on backorder. How could it have been shipped out two day ago, if it is on backorder. They will tell you what you want to hear just to make a sale. I got terrible customer service from the 1-800 number and in the store. They had no explanation. They never even said they were sorry. No worries, I went next door to Lowes bought the same washing machine at a better price, and took it home with. It seems as if Sears could learn a few things from their neighbor. I also will never shop at a Sears again.

• Do
    DOUG Jan 18, 2008

if its not in warranty suck it up and move on your fault here 100%

• Er
    Erin Feb 29, 2008

I sent a $400 diamond necklace in for repair. The repair company Sears uses said that they shipped it back, even providing a tracking number. When contacted, UPS stated that the package was never sent out. So far... 5 months later I am still chasing the missing necklace. No one from the store seems to want to get involved except Loss Prevention, whom I know personally. The jewelry manager is not helpful at all.

AnnaLise Dec 10, 2008

1. Everything breaks eventually. Unless the product was still under warranty, or you purchased an additional warranty, you are not going to get it replaced. No other store is likely to replace it for you either.

2.There are problems doing online returns in store. I probably could have done it (I work at Sears), but the vast majority of employees do not know how to process an online return. (The store manager at my store doesn't even know how to run a register.) For some reason, the in store computer system does not recognized the online reciepts, even though it is suppossed to. This is, of course, Sears's fault, not yours.

-The pole saw, the battery, and the charger were likely thrown in the garbage. I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish by doing that. You probably should have taken them home with you and called the online customer service number.

-Sears Credit Cards are owned by Citibank, not Sears. Canceling your Sears Charge has little or no effect on Sears (but may hurt your credit rating).

-Your chances of finding products that were not made overseas are slim to none. You may be able to find some items on specialty online stores, but if you walk into any department store in the country you will be unable to find many American-made items.

• Sh
    shaker65 Apr 04, 2011

If the person has a receipt and the warranty for said product is covered under it for a period of time (appliances is usually 2 to 5 years) then the store that they purchased it from is obligated to do something about to repair the product. Citibank/Sears credit services (boy what a joker there), can't even keep or, update their records properly. They are either incompetent, stupid (I won't insult handicap people by saying [censor]ed, the handicap people have more intellengence). I say file a complaint with the FTC & BBB then go to every (and I do mean every) news outlet and social network and nail to the wall. Either way good luck.

• Be
    Becca12612 Dec 06, 2012

I too had a bad experience with the repair service at Sears. They are experts at giving you the run around. Have tried for 3 days to get a technician out to repair a water heater. I am currently on the phone with them again. I am so frustrated I am ready to just forget all warranties and pay another professional to come out and fix it. Too bad because we've been long-time shoppers of Sears, willing to pay a bit more for better customer service. Well those days are over. I'll buy my appliances and whatever else somewhere else. I wouldn't buy a pair of panty hose at Sears now.

• Ni
    Nixer Oct 14, 2016

Same problem with Jim, bought a stove, they sold me a converter kit to adjust to my propane. After 4 repairmen, they said the stove could not be converted to propane. Jim is blaming my gas company for converting it wrong. The liar. I have the name of the repairman who claims he has 2 other stoves like this. I'm thinking of going to small claims court!

terrible quality product!

My husband and I were engaged to be married so we decided to renovate our home. Upon completing of construction, our final touch was to add a new dishwasher. We went to the Sears Outlet store in Santa Ana, California. Once there at the outlet store, we asked the associate for help in finding the best machine offered at that store. She directed us to the “Bosch” dishwasher because it was a “best seller” and the one they had in stock, we were told, had only “cosmetic damage” and had been put through the Sears “all-points inspection”. She assured us that the machine had only suffered a small scratch on the front panel and that this was the only flaw; we were reassured that the machine would run perfectly as it should, as if it were brand new. The unit was delivered to our home. The following day the Sears tech came out to set up the machine, after running a test he said the machine was missing a part and should never have been sold in this condition, he said he would order the part, to be delivered to our home, and he would come back in 10 days to get the machine in working order. He turned off water and machine, and said that “in the meanwhile the machine may leak a little water, and nothing more than a towel and a fan to dry it out, I will see you when the part arrives”. That night the dishwasher began to leak more and more water, and this is where our mistreatment and neglect on Sears part began.

Both my wife and I made between 40-50 logged phone calls to different entities of Sears such as, legal dept., corporate office etc. Anyone within the Sears Corp. we called and left messages only to get the run-around and completely mistreated and very rudely spoken to. We have both been long time customers of Sears, my husband has been a “Sears Plus” member for over fifteen years. He and I were saddened and disgusted, at this poor demonstration of customer service. We told your Sears employee that our kitchen was submerged under water from the machine they sold us, the machine that THEIR tech came out to help us set up, had and was continuing to destroy our home. We begged and pleaded with them (many Sears’s employees) to send any one out to help us.

We were told by the Sears employee that this was not their problem and an assessor would be out in 8 days to evaluate the problem. As our home sat in stagnant water, our new construction ruined, soaking and warping, and using our brand new towels and linens that were our engagement gifts to soak up the water.

Our entire kitchen, dinning room, living room, closets, cabinets and wine cellar area were already destroyed and sitting, stagnant, in hot water. We immediately grabbed all of our towels and sheets, any thing within arms reach to stop this destruction to our newly constructed home to absorb the over flow of water. I watched all my antiques and wedding gifts, everything we owned and valued, sitting, soaking in water.

The hardest thing to accept is that all of this could have been resolved in a much quicker manor, if procedures had been taken more seriously and done correctly, on Sears’ part. All of this destruction and havoc would not have ruined what was supposed to be the happiest time in our lives. Instead this whole event has caused me and my family NEEDLESS stress and heart ache because of Sears neglect and misconduct.

• Ju
    Julie Feb 06, 2008

I wish I could have actually talked to someone in Customer Service with Sears about the experience that I've just had, but anytime I asked to talk to a supervisor or customer service, they would not transfer my call. So, I can't even complain to Sears since I can't even get through to someone at Sears to complain to! Quite Infuriating!

It started when I ordered a refrigerator last December (after mine broke). I told the salesman exactly which size refrigerator and which kind of door opening (Right-Hand). The salesman poked around on the computer, gave me a price, I paid for it and we set up a delivery date of January 12 (It was a special order). I got a computer call on January 11, stating my delivery window was from 11-1pm the next day, so I was happy that I would finally have a refrigerator in my house, since I had gone through the holidays with no refrigerator at all. January 12 comes and half way through my delivery window, I
    get a call from Sears stating that they don't have my refrigerator. So, I ask, why was I called with a delivery window just the day before?? Of course, they have no answer to my question. They said they didn't know where the refrigerator was. Hmmm... Isn't that what inventory is for?? I received phone calls every day with a computer message to call Sears. So, of course, I call them back, go through all the information, my phone number, my address, etc... (mind you, you have to do this EVERY time to speak to someone new), I finally get to a representative, telling my story yet again, only to find out, there was no new information. I question why I keep receiving phone calls on a daily basis to which they have no answer. Then, I finally get a call the following week (about Jan 16th) saying they have my refrigerator and I scheduled the date for this second delivery for January 19th. Mind you, I paid extra to have the delivery done on a Saturday to save some of my time. Ironic now isn't it? So, I have already sacrificed one Saturday waiting for that call from Sears to tell me when it is convenient for them to deliver my merchandise. So, here I am again, waiting for another Saturday for this refrigerator to be delivered. January 19th comes and I see the Sears truck pull up to my house. They start to take the packaging off my new refrigerator when the delivery guy tells me we have a problem. The door opens the wrong way. Rest assured, I can use this "loaner refrigerator" until the correct one is ordered and delivered. I spoke to a Sears rep that morning after the delivery guy talked with them. She told me a supervisor would call me to get this straightened out. I wait for a few days. No call from a supervisor. So, I spend another couple of days waiting on hold, explaining my story multiple times, trying to find out what happened to the supervisor that is supposed to call me. I was told that there was no note in my record to have a supervisor call So, at this point I am livid at the fact that I can't get help from anyone and I am lied to about having a supervisor call. In speaking to yet another representative, I am told I will have to wait another 2 weeks since it is a special order. In the meantime, that past weekend, the exact same refrigerator was on sale at Sears for $50 less than what I paid. I asked for compensation for all of the trouble and time Sears had caused me in these past 5 weeks (mind you, I would guess at this point I had wasted at least 8 hours of my time between waiting for deliveries, waiting on the phone, explaining the story over and over again). I was told the only thing that could be done is to give me a $50 gift certificate to Sears. So, I'm thinking that after all the trouble that Sears caused me, I get a gift certificate and have to shop again at Sears??? I find it appalling that I received no help and no compensation for my trouble, unless you count all the times I heard "I'm sorry for the inconvenience".

I am so angry at this point, I spend more time, go to the store where I originally purchased the refrigerator and cancel my order. Of course, this took about an hour since I had to explain to the employee, who had to call an 800 number, then I had to talk to the 800 number until I thought we had everything straight. So, Sears was to come to my house and pick up the "loaner fridge" on January 26th and give me a full refund. Another saturday that I get to wait around for the Sears delivery crew to come by and pick up the loaner. If only the refund included all the hours I wasted of my time on multiple saturdays as well as on the phone.

So, now all I need is to have my money refunded. I wait 10 days and don't see any refund of any kind. I call the 800 number... again, they tell me to call the store I purchased it from. I call the store, they tell me to call the 800 number. I finally convince the store that I am not calling back and forth. They start investigating the problem. Finally, I have a name and a phone number of someone I can talk to about whats going on. They then tell me that there is no record of the "loaner refrigerator" in their system. I think to myself "Of course there isn't". How many things can go wrong with this one item??? After a few more phone calls, I am assured that my refund is in the mail. I have not received it as of yet, but hope the refund is the correct amount... although after this experience, I would not be at all surprised if the refund amount is incorrect.

I honestly don't know how Sears can stay in business when they treat their customers in the manner that I have been treated in these past few weeks. One can only hope a company that has such poor customer service will not stay in business much longer. I spent countless hours trying to understand where the disconnect was happening, in between calling numerous 800 numbers explaining my story hundreds of times.

So, I write this letter up and submit it to Sears Customer Service and my response from them is "We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the delivery of your merchandise. We want to make sure your issue is addressed, so please contact our Home Delivery group at 1-800-SEARS-47 (1-800-732-7747) for assistance" which is of course the 800 number that I had called before and would not transfer me to a supervisor or customer service.

This is just the first of a number of appliances that I am going to be replacing and if you read this whole complaint, I'm sure you see where I will not be purchasing any more appliances.

• Lo
    Lottie Honer May 16, 2008

I purchased a Sears Washer/Dryer unit in Sept. 2007. Within one week of the delivery, I had the repairman out there. He has since been back on numerous occasions. Just getting him to my house, is usually a good week delay, and then the frequently cancel and reschedule on me too. ANYWAY, the latest problem is going to cost $700.00 to fix. The unit was $1100.00, which Sears has spent more than that to fix this lemon so far. I want a new unit, but Sears told me they will not replace it. I didn't have my washer/dryer working the week of Christmas (and I had a lot of company), now I am not going to have it for the Memorial Day Weekend holiday, and again am having a lot of family visiting. I don't know what I can do. The warranty is up in Sept. 2008, and if (when) it breaks, I am not going to be able to afford to fix it. I am 73 years old and on Social Security with a fixed income. I could never be able to come up with $700.00 to fix this thing.

• Lu
    Lukroi Feb 18, 2013

So the water to the unit was turned off, yet it still leaked water somehow. You didn't question this when the tech was out? Use some logic people! Seems obvious to me that THE WATER WAS NOT OFF! DO you not have some basic sense or knowledge of your own home on how to turn off the water to specific rooms or fixtures? I'm amazed at the lack of common sense from the average consumer.

tried to jack the total up over $260!

I am a skilled home repair/remodeler who had the misfortune of dealing with Sears delivery. We ordered a dishwasher from Sears about 3 weeks ago. Old one is burned out... get a new one... easy replacement... shouldn't be any problems. 300 for the dishwasher... and an extra 140 bucks for INSTALLATION. I'm takin' the day off and I'm gonna let Sears wrestle with the dishwasher.

So they are here right on time and some guy gets out of his personal dented pick-up truck in sloppy shorts and a beat up t-shirt. Comes in.. takes one look at the sink... and says, "I'm gonna need to drill a hole in your sink (in addition to the one thats there) that'll be 184 dollars. Plus air gap kit extra 86 dollars." I said, "There's a hole there now - just use that one."
He says, "Nope, the hose will kink, your garbage disposal is facing the wrong way." So I said, "Our old dishwasher never seemed to have any trouble with a kinked hose, what's the problem?'

It was right about now that I'm figuring that this guy just wants extra money, and without any extra money he isn't going to do a thing. So I checked him by asking, "Can you just put the dishwasher in the slot. Hook up the water lines and I'll take care of the air gap?'

HE SAYS NO.

So I asked him what the hell the 140 INSTALLATION charge was for. No reply of course. I told him if he cant get Sears to refund the "Installation" charge, to just keep the dishwasher. He called and got us the refund. We only paid a 35 dollar delivery charge. He left the dishwasher in the garage.

Needless to say, I installed the dishwasher myself... no problems, same hole for the air gap, hose is in no way "kinking", and I even found out they make an under the counter air gap which require no holes at all. So I never did get an installation professional here. What I saw that day... was a con man with my dishwasher.

Sears sucks.

• Mr
    Mrs. Hall to you Jun 05, 2008

I agree. SEARSsucks is a rip off. Double oven started giving F7 error. Tech came out and said I hear you're getting an F9 error. I said no - F7. He said it was the control board. Ordered a new one. Next week different tech came out and installed the new board. Less than an hour later the new board was giving the F7 error. After I had paid SEARSsucks $575.28. Now they're refusing to refund my money. They will send a tech to remove my new board but they won't give me back my old board or my money??? Sent a complaint to the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs. There are tons of websites regarding the Kenmore F7 issue. It's more of a product defect that they won't discuss. NEVER buy from SEARSsucks

• Mr
    Mrs. Wright Nov 23, 2008

Wow, the dishwasher fiasco sounds almost identical to mine. Too long of a story to get into and tired of talking about it. But yes, Sears and the installers they use are not very ethical.

• Co
    Consumer-Advocate May 03, 2010

Totally agree. Terrible experience with Sears delivery. This past Saturday was the 3rd attempt to deliver our refrigerator. First, wrong one. Second one, damaged. And now the 3rd one, also DAMAGED. The delivery guy says he told the people at the warehouse that he didn't want to take it because it was obviously damaged, and they told him to try and deliver it anyway. What the heck? Were they trying to slip another damaged one by the customer. Did they think we wouldn't care, or did they just not want to have to deal with it? The delivery guy felt like he was getting stuck in the middle and the warehouse didn't want to talk with us. Sears customer service was completely unprofessional, could not help, other than trying to order another one. Never apologized. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he put me on hold for a 1/2 hour and no one ever came back. I'm even madder now and dealing with the Sears appliance center in Tampa to try and get this resolved, but let me save you the aggravation if you're considering buying from Sears. DON'T DO IT!!!

John Gregg Aug 03, 2011

Same story. I bought a dishwasher and had Sears deliver it. Expensive, but convenient. My wife was home with they showed up, and it wasn't Sears employees, but local plumbing flunkies. They immediately declared the old dishwasher hookup to be "not to code", and said they would have to charge another $250 to do the job. What could my wife do? if she had pressed the point, they most likely would have left with the dishwasher, and it would have been a time consuming and expensive effort to get someone else to install the thing. So she gulped, paid them, and they installed the thing and were out of there in less than an hour. Maybe the ancient dishwasher hookup wasn't up to code, but it is fishy to say the least that they use that as a pretext to double their price for less than an hour's work. As Mrs. Wright said, neither Sears nor their flunkies are ethical. Needless to say, the Sears representative I spoke to about this was unsympathetic to the point of rudeness.

defective electronic control board!

I just paid $271 to repair my Sears "Elite" Evenheat Dryer. Several months ago I received a card stating there is a Class Action Law Settlement for the make and model that I have. This law suit was for a malfunction of the "Electronic Control Board" . The deadline to respond was Jan. 16, 2008. My dryer malfunctioned on Jan. 13th, 2008. Sears repair could not schedule a appointment for almost 2-weeks. I missed the deadline date to submit my complaint which was a defective "electronic control board". Now I'm not sure what my options are to get reimbursed for something I feel I am entitled to. I've had this dryer since Sept. 2003, but, I only use the dryer about 6-8 hours a month because I do my laundry at my daughter's house (I keep house for her). This dryer has had very little usage!

oven door won't close all the way!

Bought a Sears Kenmore gas range and did not take delivery till about 6 months later as we were remodeling a house. A few months later we installed it and I slowly discovered that the oven temperature varied widely by 30 to 60 degrees. I thought is was the digital display problem, and bought an oven thermometer so I would know what the temperature really was so I could bake.. Then I finally noticed that the problem was that the oven door was not closing all the way. The heat was leaking out and that is why the temperature varied and it took twice as long to bake anything.

The repair person said that this is a hinge problem and Sears is well aware of it, but will not do a recall... Since the stove is a few months out of warranty WE are responsible to replace the hinges which were a factory flaw to the tune of $200. There has also been a problem with the digital controls and a replacement for this with the hinges will cost almost $500.00 So we have a one year old stove that has been in use for only 8 months and we are going to throw it out and buy something else and NEVER by a SEARS appliance again...

refusal of repair!

Once again sears does it. 5 months ago they tried to void a 5 year warranty on a washer that was 6 months old. The repairman ordered $1500 worth of parts turned out to be a belt! This time its a dryer same repairman called to tell me he was on his way to the repair then he informed me that he knows I am abusing the washer and dryer and flat out refused to come out and fix it. So basically I am at square one again. How can you claim abuse we wash clothes!! How can you claim abuse without even coming out to the repair??!!

Had to reschedule for another week of waiting to see if another repairman will come out!

• Gi
    Gin Collum Jan 25, 2014

If you had of bought the Ppa protection plan then you could demanded a new washer instead of having the warranty to fix it.

terrible service!

I purchased tires from Sears Automotive and had them installed when they arrived in the shop a few days later. I shopped in Sears and waited in the waiting room for two and a half hours while they worked on my car. I asked if there was a problem after 2 hours and the gentleman at the front desk said that "there was a problem with the rear alignment. The technician was going to heat up the calibers and I caught him...we would have owned the car if he did this. " I couldn't believe he told me this and then he said "but he's almost done now and he's giving it a test drive he'll be right in." 15 minutes later... Not done. I was told it was going to take 15 more minutes.

I left 2 and a half hours later. I drove the next day 50 miles to visit friends, drove home another 50, drove to Boston for dinner another 25 miles... had a wonderful dinner and while pulling out of the parking garage there was a horrendous sound coming from the passenger side. We stopped the car immediately. (here I am thinking someone hit my car in the parking lot) when I look at the tire and inside the well on the tire rod is a huge vice wrench still attached to my car from the alignment almost 24 hours earlier. The wrench had a rubber grip on it, which was shredded to death. We took it off, checked the tires and drove home.

The next day was Sunday and there was no manager on duty, when I called to check. I went to Sullivan Tire and had my car checked as I was petrified to drive my car. Worried that my tires were going to fall off or something. I explained my situation to the manager there and he said he's fixed many of their problems. He guaranteed me the tires we on tight and drivable... but that they were on backwards. My tires turn out that they can only be mounted one direction. They have a special traction control where the tire is designed to lean on an edge. So the edge was on the inside. he informed me that the tires were actually really dangerous to be on that way, making my little suv much more flippable.

I drove to Sears and expressed my dismay and disappointment. The sears manager said " I installed these tires the other day and they are fine. IF the tires were on backwards they would say that with an arrow on the tire or mount this side in marked on them" I said well did you follow manufacturers specks or did you just assume? He said that he knew they weren't on backwards. I showed him the same details that Sullivan tire did and he said. If that's what you want I'll turn them around. It will only take a half hour. 15 minutes later, he came out and said. I'm really sorry about the misunderstanding. I made a big mistake. I'm sorry. I said that it would have been worst if I had been in an accident from the wrench ripping through my car somewhere or my car flipping. I will never recommend this company to any one ever!!!

He didn't care. He didn't refund any money. I don't know what to say except they suck!!

burning metal plate!

I purchased a sears front load HE5 dryer. They have a metal plate on back that looks like it is rusting. I have had this dryer less than a month. I found two friends that have dryers made by Whirlpool which is actually Kenmore. They have the same problem. The service technician said the plate is not rusting but the temperature is so hot its burning the plate. They use to coat the metal plate in white or black but they stopped doing it. He said there is no way to order the part with the white or black coating. The technician said he is not aware of any coloring coming off on the clothes.

[Resolved] what happened to a dependable product?

Our Kenmore Elite clothes washer had a pump go out after 3 years of use and we were charged $201.25 to have it replaced. I understand that the warranty has passed and I was not expecting it to be repaired at no charge but $201.25!!!! I contacted Sears and was told those are the charges have a nice day. No offer was made for a lower repair. Maybe I am to demanding. To pay half as much as you paid for the washer new for repair, that is crazy. What happened to a dependable product?

RESOLVED

• Sears's response · Sep 24, 2010

Dear unhappy customer P,

My name is Scott and I'm with Sears Cares Escalations. I found this post and wanted to reach out to offer some help. I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble your Kenmore washer is causing as well as the difficulty with our repair technician & department. I know it's difficult and inconvenient being without a washer, but even more frustrating not being able to get it repaired when you thought you were going to. When we service your appliances, it's Sears' goal to exceed your expectations; we've obviously not achieved that goal. We'd like to help. At your convenience please contact my office via email at [email protected] so that we can assist with resolving this issue. Please provide us a contact number and the phone number the washer was purchased under and we will call you at your convenience. In addition, include your screen name (unhappy customer P) in the email so we can reference to your case.

Scott J.
    Sears Cares

Anna Pine Feb 03, 2008

I totally agre with you! I have an Elite Washer and Dryer and have had problems with both of them.

There should be a law against companies who sell products that become defective after normal useage. The repairs to my dryer cost over half of what I paid for it! (used only over a year)
    My washer also had the water-pump repaired. Fortunately I was still covered under warranty.
    I will not be buying any more Sears Appliances!
    I'm retired and on a low-fixed income so unncessary repairs impacts me.
    I'm Furious!

• De
    Deby Feb 11, 2008

I bought the Elite Washer & Dryer less than 2 years ago. The sears repairman told me that all said and done and 85.00 dollars later it will cost over 1000.00 to repair the washer. They tried to say that it was the soap i was using that caused the bearing to go. I have only used HE detergent. I am very disappointed that Kenmore products are now known as Sub Standard after spending the thousands i did on this line.

• Un
    unhappy customer P Sep 22, 2010

I purchased a Kenmore Elite Washer and dryer over a year ago. There was a problem with with something getting stuck and making the machine leak and making a noise. We had it fixed. 2 weeks ago same problem happened again which is about a year later. They said he would be there between 10-1 and he wasnt. Called Sears several times and they never contacted me back that day. He finally came at 4pm when I had to take my daughter to the MD. My other daughter was there and let me talked to him. He was unpleasant when I first got on the phone. Said he would check it out, but then left and said he couldnt work on it since my daughter was 16. Meanwhile he didnt tell me this when I talked to him. I understand this policy and had my neighbor on standby but he left and said not to call me. I then had to reschedule and he cancelled again. Still without a machine and they will not be here for another week. Not only and I getting the run around. But they are very unhelpful. I purchase tons of appliance from Sears. But never again! They lost my business forever since they are unhelpful. Stinks that I just renew the warranty on it

price matching!

My husband called me from Sears Dept store to tell me about the dishwashers they had on sale and while he was giving me the makes and models over the phone I was online checking consumer reviews of each dishwasher. I found a better price for a Bosch Dishwasher that beat Sears’s price for the same item by $135. My husband relayed this information to the rep and she said all we needed was a printout and yes, Sears would match the price and not only that we would receive an additional 10% off!
So my husbands returned home, got the printout and made the 20 min drive back to the store. Well gosh darn it, wouldn't you know it-"actually it's only "Local" online competitors prices we match".

Now we checked the website and yes it says local retailers online but in the exclusions list it says nothing about other online competitor’s prices being excluded.

• Lu
    Lukroi Feb 18, 2013

Sooo, what is the problem? Brick and mortar stores can't be expected to match prices of online only retailers who only pay for a small web team, warehousing and shipping. Sears provides you with experts on products as well as an actual product to touch and look at in person. If you use a sales person to gather your info, then buy online, not only is that unethical treatment of that person who took the time to help you, you are just a bad person.

refund on returned merchandise!

On 11/20/2017, I ordered a dishwasher and paid for installation, as a christmas gift for my mother. The item...

scam and cheating!

I am thoroughly disgusted!!! Today, january 17, 2008, I took my three daughters to sears at kingsway garden mall to return a christmas gift that my grandmother had purchased for my 11 year old that was too small. Unfortunately, my grandma purchased the shirt in august. Even though it had the original tags still on it and I had my gift receipt in hand, I was told by "customer services" that they had a 90 day return/exchange policy. This means that I would have had to return or exchange it by november. When I objected, I was then told that new "corporate policy" for christmas returns says it must be done by january 12. I said "i'm not a regular customer at sears so how am I supposed to know what your"corporate policy is? Plus it doesn't even show a return/exchange date on the gift receipt."I then politely asked to speak to a manager who told me there was nothing that they could do for me. So... I told her that she could keep the stinking' shirt and everything that I was going to purchase and that I would be contacting my grandma (Who I should tell you has been shopping and supporting sears since she made her first purchase almost 65 years ago... A baby carriage for her baby... My dad). I hope that losing a long time customer, four future customers and maybe even all the future customers that I am going to spread the word to, was worth a $20.00 shirt!!! Screw"corporate policy"!!!

What ever happened to customer service or 100% satisfaction guaranteed? So this is what i'm left with... I have to tell my grandma that if she wants to do her christmas shopping at her convenience, that she now better question return/exchange policies so that she doesn't get ripped off. A little old lady... Pretty sad if you ask me. And for me and my kids, we left with a bitter taste in our mouths and my 11 year old without a usable present from her great-grandmother. Merry #ing christmas!!!

Chris Aug 08, 2008

Are you actually reading your comment? WHO BUYS A CHRISTMAS GIFT IN AUGUST?!

Sarah Oct 23, 2008

It does say the return policy on the receipt if you just turn it over that pretty blue writing on the back states that you have 90 days to return or exchange items, and the 90 day return policy is actually one of the longest ones here in Canada. If you went to Wal-mart, you would only have 14 days with your receipt to be able to return something.

[Resolved] terrible company!

Purchased Kenmore Elite Oasis Washer in April 2007. It is now Jan 08 and I cannot get the washer to work. I...

disgraceful company

In September 2007 I purchased a large Mitsubishi HD TV from the "Great Indoors" in Scottsdale, Az. for about $2500. Based upon the recommendation of the sales person I also purchased a service agreement for several hundred dollars which would cover service and parts for a long period.

Four months later I attempted to turn on the TV and got no picture. I then contacted the Sears Service Center (parent of Great Indoors) and was told the earliest they could service the complaint was 15 days from now, which I told them was unacceptable. I am now forced to contact a local TV service company to repair (probably for several hundred dollars) a TV that is already covered by a service contract. I could easily do without TV for 2 weeks if it were not for the fact that I have a large group of friends attending parties both of the nest 2 weeks to watch the football playoffs.

I think it is disgraceful that a big company like Sears can't hire enough technicians to fix problems within a reasonable amount of time.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices