Complaints & Reviews

warning to anyone purchasing a washing machine from sears

This is a warning to anyone who has purchased a washing machine from Sears.

I have recently discovered that it is Sears policy to take away the shipping bolts that are fitted to washing machines. These are fitted to prevent internal damage during transport, but should actually be left with the customer as they need to be refitted if ever the machine needs to be moved (e.g. when moving house).

Sears informed me that the reason they take these away is because some customers were refitting the bolts needlessly and thus causing damage when they try to operate the washing machine.

However, who knows how many machines have been damaged when people move house but, because of Sears' policy, don't have the shipping bolts available to refit to their machines? Presumable by this stage though most machines will be out of the warranty period so Sears won't have to do anything about it.

It took me about 5 frustratingly long phonecalls to Sears Parts department to establish this and to get them to send me the shipping bolts, which should have been delivered with the washing machine in the first place. However, they have refused to send me the wrench (used to tighten the shipping bolts), which should also have been delivered with the machine. My last conversation was with one of the rudest 'customer service' people I have ever spoken to, who worked for Sears Parts Direct.

If you have bought a washing machine from Sears and think you might need to move the machine at some point in the future, my advice is to call up and insist that they send you the shipping bolts for your machine, as well as the wrench to tighten them.

They will try to charge you for these parts, but as they SHOULD have been delivered with the machine in the first place and will be listed in the machine's manual under 'parts and accessories', you should argue to get them free of charge.

Perhaps eventually Sears will change their ridiculous policy of taking these things away in the first place.

• Se
    Searspartsguy Feb 15, 2009

The bolts are actually not provided by the manufacturer and are installed by the technicians before they move a unit and are taken by the technician and returned to the manufacturer to be reused if you do call and complain enough you will probably get a free set ordered and sent to you but not neccisarily nor is there and reason that there should be one sent to you except for customer satisfaction.

warranty for freon not honored

Hi there, our fridge(an expensive model) purchased in '2000 on our Sears card account, broke just before this Easter 2008.

We called a technician from Sears, and he came out and told us that the freon(which keeps the heat out) had evaporated through a small hole somewhere, and that this particular problem was covered by warranty for 10 years. He left, and was going to file a report, and then we would hear from the company about replacing it etc.
We waited until the end of the week, and after not hearing anything from them we contacted the company about the situation, and we were told that we would need to produce the "purchase order number" in order for something to be done, even though they had the purchase date of December 9, 2000, and even the delivery date of December 15, 2000.

We are a military family and have moved since we purchased the fridge, and have such misplaced the original purchase order, and since we are unable to produce it, Sears will not honor the warranty for the freon of 10 years. My husband and I have been calling non-stop to different branches trying to locate the purchase number, or to trying to trace the number through the credit card, but have been unsuccessful, as the company is unable to pull-up the records because of the length of time. However, we as consumers are expected to keep a purchase order from 7+ years ago, but a big company like Sears is not...to me this is asking alot of consumers if Sears is not required to!!

So we made a last ditch attempt today and called Corporate Customer Service, and we were told that Sears would not be able to do anything about our situation unless we produced the original purchase order number. So after receiving no satisfaction, we are going to pay off our Sears card account and boycott Sears. We realize that we are only a drop in the pan for a huge corporation like Sears, but we also intend to tell others about what they have done, and let's face it word of mouth can be very powerful!!

savy2.o Sep 18, 2009

FREON is NOT COVERED... Warrenty Clearly states. MECH parts... freon is NOT a Mech part. hence NOT covered under warrenty...Talk about people trying to get something for Nothing...

unforgettable experience

01/01/05 - Original refrigerator purchase date. Cost: $449 + tax/fees = $535.29

06/24/05 - 1st service call to repair. Appears not to cool properly and moisture on floor. Technician instructed me on usage and was unable to detect location of leak. Stated high usage and humidity from weather as factors.

06/27/05 - 2nd service call to repair. Leaking continues. Technician found drain tube too short from factory/added drain tube.

05/29/06 - 3rd service call for repair. I noticed wood floor uneven in front of refrigerator. I pulled out the refrigerator and visably saw water damage. Called One Source who agreed to send technician to inspect leak and damage. Since out of warranty period, One Source agreed to inspect. Repair technician stated found drain line not properly repaired by last technician. One Source agreed to repair. I also called floor repair company. I asked One Source for a replacement refrigerator due to ongoing problem and offered to repair floor myself. They indicated they would only repair refrigerator and also repair the floor. Obtained an estimate.

Note: Floor Repair Company stated that damage appeared to occur from slow leak and passed through wood floor. Sub floor was saturated and then began to cause upper floor to warp and expand. This damage took 1 year and 5 months to detect.

06/01/06 I repaired sub-floor. I treated the black mold under house. I replaced the damaged insulation. Carpet Express made repair made to floor for $495 (exceeded cost of refrigerator).

Current Events:

03/01/08 1 year 8 months later. I noticed the same problem. Pulled out refrigerator and saw severe water damage. Went under house and same mold problem as before. Same wood boards in kitchen are again damaged.

03/04/08 Called One Source and spoke with Sr. Customer Advocate, Elaine. After much discussion, I offered to repair all floor damage and asked for a replacement refrigerator as this one Sears is unable to repair. Elaine stated no. Would only waive the trip fee for a technician, and would pay for repair up to $100. Also offered me a 10% product discount I would have to pay for and request reimbursement. I asked for a manager to return my call and was assured that Ms. Christ Stroup would call back in two business days.

03/04/08 Call made to Sears Holdings Corp in Hoffman Estates. Transferred to Judy, Exc. Customer Relations in North Carolina. She stated she could not help me and to wait on a return call from One Source.

03/06/08 At 8:00 PM, I called One Source to Jerry (ID 60206). He said Ms. Stroup had left early and would not be returning my call until maybe next Tuesday. He stated there was no supervisor/manager that I could speak with.

03/06/08 At 8:30 PM, I called local Sears store manager, Jerry. I explained the 'situation' and he offered to call One Source to see if he could get a return call to me earlier.

03/07/08 Received a call from Oscar at One Source. We discussed my refrigerator problem and I asked to speak with a supervisor. He stated one was not available but he indicated the next step would be to send a technician to my home to inspect the floor damage and verify a water leak. I said I was not desiring a repair and would not pay for a visit. He waived trip fee and repair. He told me to call One Source back after the visit.

Later Store Manager Jerry called to see if One Source called.

03/08/08 Sears technician Robert (ID 0617829) at home at 9:45 AM. He stated 'only check for leak/and floor damage'. He was confused why One Source wanted him here if I did not want the repair.

03/08/08 Phone call back to One Source to Charity. Then to, Rosalyn who instructed me that she had management power and would not replace the refrigerator. This is the rudest person I have spoken with. We had a lengthy discussion. She said we had talked enough and told me to call Loss Prevention at [protected] and to call Legal at [protected].

I called Loss Prevention. Got Terry, Security. He said he only handled theft and in store issues.

I called Legal at [protected]. Got Mary in the recall department. Went ahead and inquired if there was a recall on my refrigerator. None cited. I returned a call to One Source to Mike (ID 602714). Discussed situation and he said the final decision was not to replace product. He offered to repair product and that I would have to go through the Claims area to request repair of damage floor.

03/10/08 8:00 AM, Called Corporate Office in Hoffman Estates. Was told no one there could talk to me. Transferred me to a number that was closed. Called back to Corporate. Told by same person that she could not give me the number but only transfer me. Waited until 9:00 EST for the office to open at 8:00 CST. Called back to Corporate and was transferred to Highpoints, NC to Sally at ext. 12008. Explained situation. Stated there was nothing she could do. She transferred me back to One Source to Charles. He read my my case notes and stated that someone could return my call in two business days...

03/13/08 Mailed certified letters to CEO Bruce Johnson, Sears Holdings Corp.; Edward Lampert, Chairman of Board of Directors; Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs, and Better Business Bureau.

03/17/08 Letter delivered to Bruce Johnson at Sears Holdings Corp.

03/17/08 No response from One Source. Called One Source and spoke with customer advocate Ann (ID 49542). She stated no further no decision she could see regarding replacement refrigerator or repair of the floor.

03/25/08 Called Sears Holdings Corp. at Hoffman Estates. I was never able to speak with anyone at Sears Holdings at Hoffman Estates. I asked who Frank Johnson was (signee of certified mail) and was told they could not provide me with that information. After 11 more phone attempts, I was finally transferred to the Executive Office of Letters and Correspondence in North Carolina. I provided my name and the gentleman able to tell me that my letter was logged in and a Bridgette Williams stated in the notes 'No Further Action Needed'. I have been given a new case number of 1910534. After complaining that I have not been contacted to discuss my case, I was transferred to One Source to a Marshila (ID Badge [protected]). After a lengthy discussion, she received authorization to provide me with:

1. A $100 gift card and a 10% product discount, OR

2. Waive the trip fee for a technician and repair up to $100.

I stated I would consider this and call her back on 3/28, my original 10 day deadline given to Sears Holdings in my certified letter.

Additionally, I was provided the phone number of TSRT and spoke with a Jen (ID 55440) regarding the repair of my damaged floor. After a thorough explanation about my problem, she stated Sears was not responsible for the damage due to it occurred out of warranty and I must file a claim with my home owners insurance. I informed her that Sears previously had repaired my damaged floor out of warranty as it was due to the same problem that Sears did not repair. She again stated that Sears was not responsible.

03/28/08 Reluctantly, I phoned One Source to accept, what I believe to be an inadequate resolution, offer of $100 and a 10% discount. The local Sears store was have a sale on 3/29/08 of 15% off appliances and I could use the discounts together and the gift card and come out o.k. I spoke with a Sheldon (would not give his ID number). He stated that there were no notes from Marshila on 3/25/08. I was amazed! After a 30 minute conversation, he believed my plight and the $100 and 10% discount. He transferred me to Sonya in Processing at One Source. She explained that she would send me a gift card for $100 She explained the discount. I was to purchase the refrigerator and call One Source to receive the 10% discount which would be applied to my credit card or mailed as a cashiers check if I paid cash. She explained the discount. I then lost the signal on my cell phone. O.k.

03/28/08 I called the local Sears and spoke with Bob, not a manager for in the administrative office. He stated the sale at the store. I the gift card coming to me in the mail. He said the store manager, Jason, could go to one register in the store and give me cash for the gift card, then void the card, then apply the cash to my Sears credit card. He also stated that I should come in Saturday to take advantage of the 15% off sale and then get the 10%. O.K.

03/29/08 Arrived at the local Sears store. I selected a refrigerator. I opened a Sears credit card account. I purchased the refrigerator. I received the 15% sale discount and scheduled the delivery for

4/18/08 to make sure the gift card arrived and was applied as stated. I called One Source from Sears while with the salesman. I explained that I was calling to receive the 10% credit to my card.

After being transferred to Processing, I spoke with Rose (ID 65478).

I gave her my credit card number and sales check number.

Now, she tells me that she is unable to give me the credit on my card until the refrigerator is in my house. What? She said that just purchasing the refrigerator was not enough. I must accept delivery of it. After discussing this, I indicated that I was waiting to accept delivery until I had the $100 gift card and that it was applied also to the balance on my card. I then said, what if I pick it up, can I call then. She further stated that I could not call until 24 hours after I accept delivery or pick it up. I leave the store unsatisfied. Sears has not be forthcoming. I will continue with my complaint in Bibb County Court.

I arrived home to find a letter from the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs. That have forwarded my complaint to Sears at Hoffman Estates, Illinois to Linda Evans, Claims Consultant in the Customer Support Department.

03/31/08 After one full month of exhaustive attempts to resolve this matter, I am filing a Statement of Claim in the Bibb Magistrate Court, Bibb

County, GA.

John Ford Jul 10, 2008

I made a purchase and decided to upgrade to a large tv They debited my account and then said they could not process my purchase then told me it would be 48 hours before my money was credited back to my account . I talked to 10 people then called the 1-847-286-2500 spoke to some liar by the name of larry who told me he would get to the bottom of this refund matter . he did he had the sale rep Ray call from springfield mo. another liar . Got a call from Jim henderson told me my fund were transfered into my account went to the bank when I called him back his whole story changed doesnt sears have anyone that knows how to tell the truth ? It is two days later it took them 5 seconds to take my money 7 day to return it . Did I just fall of the turnip truck . I would do no more business with sears as long as I live and anyone else with problems like this will agree sears needs closed down or they need to deal with the customers with honesty.

• Sc
    scooterdod Sep 11, 2008

Is what you need to know is every sales person in sears accept cashiers, , , are Comission only they start you out @5.75 then with your commision it adds up to be ????so they say over $8.00 per hour if they just paid per hr sears would be a better place but it's push, push, push for the sales no matter what! !

• Gi
    Gin Collum Jan 25, 2014

that is crazy but I hope u purchased the ppa protection plan so u won't have this run around again..and no sears isnt responsible if your fridge is out warranty.

late fee charges

sears credit card charges $39.00 late fees when you pay on the due date ? get that they say that even though our time frame was 1 hour behind them that we have to suffer. that is wrong if i am paying my bills on time in my time zone we shouldnt be charged please help to see this corrected with all the people unable to pay there bills you have someone like me in these times that does pay even if it is on the due date and they take advantage of you thanks marty welsh

Sandra Chavalia Mar 27, 2008

Did you threaten to close the account? I had a similar experience with J.C Penney. When I said I'd close the account, they offered to take the charge off. Sure enough, it was credited back to me on my next statement.

• Na
    najita Jul 21, 2008

Sears is the worst. We sent payment -- for entire bill --less than $50.00, 8 days before due date, and they credited it the day after the due date. customer serivice said it was due to "Postal Service delivery" issues. WE closed the account, after having it for over 31 years, and do not even SHOP at Sears any more. THEY lost us as a customer.

donald miller Sep 28, 2008

I have always paid my bill on time or ahead of time.. Just last week I received an e-mail that I was over my account limit..I knew this was wrong because I was a long ways away from my limit of $12, 000. My statement showed a balance of a little over $5, 000 Then I noticed my limit had been dropped to only $5, 000 instead of the 12, 000 I would like to know who changed this and exactly why .. I dont want to hear bullcrap about any late bills because there have not been any..What next with this outfit???

Terrible experience!

On 3/12/08, my wife and I were fleeced by the Sears Auto center at Cherry Vale Mall in Rockford, Illinois. My...

Exercise machine has broken seven times!

I bought an Elliptical Exercise machine from Sears in 2006. It Broke within three month of the purchase. Six...

overcharged!

The 21st of March I will send my last payment to Sears. I was late two times and they raised my rate to 32%. I talked with them and told them the circumstances and asked them to lower my rate. They refused. After years of being a Sears customer, I will never do business with them again because I know for a fact that other companies will respect a long time customer and negotiate a lower rate. I have done this for myself. Sear's attitude says that they don't care about keeping customers.

I'm going to make sure that my voice goes out loud and clear to every one I know to stay away of Shoddy Sears.

Thanks,
Paula Gramlich.

• Gi
    Gin Collum Jan 25, 2014

Really how did you talk to sears when Sears only helps get you the card and is own by citi financial and hsbc!

damage during delivery to home!

I purchased a new Kenmore refrigerator from Sears which was delivered on 22-26-07. The delivery company...

unauthorized repair!

Repair man came out to repair a 6 1/2 year old electric dryer. When I scheduled the repair on the internet, the email verification stated that the repair man would go over the charges with me. I had my husbands caretaker at home with my husband when he arrived. The repairman came in, went to the dryer, went back to the truck, came back in and handed a receipt to the caretaker, fixed the dryer, went outside, came back in with another receipt and handed to the caretaker who signed the receipt. She thought the repairman had called me for authorization when he went outside. He did nothing of the sort. He just fixed it without saying anything. The repair bill was $268. For a couple of hundred more dollars I could get a brand new dryer at COSTCO with a 2 year in home warranty. I never had the chance. Talk about getting blindsided. I called the "Executive Team" and spoke to Sylvia who was not only rude but tacky. She "insisted" the charges were approved. Too bad I nor my husband were ever told of the charges. I tried calling the service center twice and they will not return my phone calls. I have a call into the General Counsel. THE BEST PART IS THEY DON'T KNOW I HAVE VIDEO SURVEILLANCE IN MY HOME AND CAN PROVE HE DID NOT TALK TO ANYONE. I am going to dispute the charges on my credit card, file a complaint with the BBB and NEVER shop at Sears again.

MARY Jun 04, 2008

I completely agree, I had a similar situation with sears last week when the repairman checked my stove for a rutine check up he told me that a burner was burned out and that I would have to pay him 379.00-389.00 so that he could fix it. When I told him that i could not afford to get it fixed he got very upset and a couple of days later when i was about to make lunch for my 2 year old I discovered that nothing on my stove is working, not even the oven. I spent over a week trying to get them to come back and fix it and they told me that they will send someone out in a week or so to verify that damage was done and that after its been verified i will have to wait for another department to decide if Sears is going to fix it or not, if so they will call me to schedule another repairman to come out and fix the stove.

• Da
    Dave Jun 29, 2008

I reciently went and bought some cloyhes from sears, approx. $400 worth, I was aon a bargain hunting trip and when i seen a rack that said 50% off I bought, I did not realize that the rack had two sides to the sign that were the oposite, some of the clothes were 50% off and the other side said the regular price, but the 50% off was exactly the same as the regular clothes just on the other side of the rack, confusing? well you had to be there. Sears is big enough to get their sale racks apart from there regular racks, but then they would not be fooling the public into buying, well let me tell you something Sears I walked away from the $400 deal, and you will never see me again, when i ased to speak to the manager she told me that I was suppose to look on both sides of the sign, all the clothes were mixed up people had been going through them and put them on either side when they replaced them, regular and sale mixed up on the same rack, the only way you could tell was to take it to the checkout to see if you had a sales item or not, really good business SEARS.

poor delivery

On December 29, 2007, we spent $1,417 at Sears (Sherway Gardens, Toronto) for a new front loading washing machine ($1099), pedestal ($199), installation ($85) delivery and old machine removal ($50). We were happy with the purchase and looked forward to our new machine that was to arrive on January 4, 2008. As instructed, prior to delivery, I carefully detached the hoses from the old washer and moved it out into the hall to make the job of the delivery/removal people easier. All they had to do was lift it up small flight of stairs (no rail) and out the side door (taken off). When the delivery personnel arrived they wanted to move the new washer in but refused to move the old washer out, despite it being written on the bill "SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS: PLEASE REMOVE AND DISPOSE OF OLD WASHER". I would not allow them to merely drop the washer off without fulfilling their total obligations ($50 see above). I phoned Sears immediately to sort things out and to my surprise, while I was trying to contact someone at Sears, the delivery people simply drove away. This all occurred within 15 minutes.

After contacting Sears, two new delivery people were sent the next evening. In the meantime, my 150 lb son and I moved the old washer outside. This took us about 5 minutes. The new delivery people easily removed the old washer and easily moved the new one in. While they did scratch and stretch a spot on a new floor, I did not complain as I was happy to have the new washer in place. They placed the washer on the pedestal, attached the hoses and left. I was provided with instructions on how to install it correctly. While I was grateful for their keen delivery, unfortunately, they did not level the washer and on the first wash it started to walk across the floor during the spin cycle.

After contacting Sears again, an installation person was dispatched to properly install the washer (part of the total price included $85 for installation). This individual used my small level but did not want to wait around to check whether the leveling worked since "that would take an hour". After my wife showed him that it would only take a 20 min spin, he did observe the machine with no load and it appeared fine. However, the large yellow sheet that comes with the washer clearly states that it "MUST BE LEVELED WITH A LOAD" to properly balance the machine. This information was provided not ignored. Not surprisingly, once a load was placed in the machine, it violently vibrated during the spin cycle and it sounded like a helicopter was above our house. To obtain a quiet spin cycle, the feet of the machine had to be adjusted each time during the spin cycle.

I was not prepared to babysit an $1100 washing machine and contacted Sears to properly install the washer. The sales people at Sears offered to replace the machine but could not since the model had been discontinued. At this point, I requested a refund. Sears agreed and a pick up date and time was established. Again, I removed the hoses and moved the machine away from the wall and carefully prepared (ice and snow removal from the side of the house) for pick up. When the "pick up" people (the same people as the first delivery) arrived, they came into the basement but refused to take the machine away since it was still on the pedestal.

I contacted Sears and talked to a woman named "Diane" that would not and could not provide the name her superior or anyone at head office. She did give me a phone number for their head office. Unfortunately, I must have copied the number down incorrectly and when I called back and talked to "Christina", she would not provide me with any such number since she did not know of, or have any such number to provide me with. She could and did provide me with the address for the head office. Using a reverse 411, I obtained the phone number for the head office at Sears. I also arranged for the washer to be picked up again –a 12 hour interval on Saturday was the best they could do. I removed the eight ¼ inch screws that attach the pedestal to the washer and lifted it off the pedestal. The next day, two individuals came and within 10 minutes removed the washer and pedestal.

I contacted someone at Sears head office to explain this nightmare and she was willing to refund the cost of the washer and pedestal but not the cost of the installation ($85) or delivery ($50) cost. After my objection, she decided to refund the full cost to our credit card.

Donald Lemay Mar 11, 2008

To whom it may concern.
    March 11th, 2008

On February 27th, i had sent an email to you
    customer service for a formal complaint.

details, on feb 25th, 2008 , i went to your service
    center in St Laurent, QC on Cavendish blvd.
    to get my Jig Saw repair. For ur information , i had
    received this tool as a gift from my wife on November
    2004. with a 2 years warranty.
    Now, tool was still working, but the blade was not
    moving anymore. The answer i recv from the
    person at the counterwas as follow.

we do not repair these tools, because the parts are to
    expensive. Best thing to do, is in the garbage and by
    an other one. I was very unsatisfyed with the
    answer from the gentleman. I did not want free repair,
    all i want was to get it fix.

Now, 1 week later, after giving my phone number,
    my address and postal code to your customer service,
    and email to Robyn in beleive this is the good way
    of spelling, i was adv that my warranty was over
    and there was nothing that Sears could do.

Now, i have many more tools from Craftman and
    in fact they are very good tools and i am very happy
    with these tools.But, my concern is, if i have
    problem with the other one, i should put them in
    the garbage and maybe buy something else
    somewhere at a cheaper price.

For ur information , i am a regular customer
    from sears since 1985 ,plus my wife and my son.
    We have bought different items at Sears
    Fridge, dvd and alsoa brand new TV not to long
    ago.
    sears use to fix these tools before, because i brought
    some for repairs and even a VCR.

Could you please adv if something could be done
    in regards to this problem that i have.

tk's very much for your time

looking forward to hear from you.

Donald Lemay
    597 7 th avenue
    Lachine,QC
    Canada H8S 2Z7

feel free to verify my profile

• Je
    Jennifer Mallett Apr 30, 2008

Hi I am writing to tell you how unsatisfied I am with your portrait studio, I picked up my pictures yesturday only to find I spent $150.00 on pictures with the workers hair in them, they told me it was my fault I picked them that way, who in their right mind would pick a 10 by 13 wall picture with someones hair in it? But they refused to discount or refund my money. I am very unsatisfied with the service and will not be returning!!! And I will NOT be telling people to go their! I wish I could have had a better experience I have never been treated so poorly in my entire life!

• Sh
    sharon cairns Feb 11, 2012

hi i am sending this message to let you know i am not satified with a mattress i recieved in aug. 2008. iT broke down on the sides so sears send a guy out to check it. he said it was completely ruined. it had a 10 year warranty on it. phoned customer service to see what sears would do. they said i could order a new mattress but the one i had purchased was no more so to order another one which i could not find, in the same price. the lady did find one and ordered it. when it came it was a piece of crap so phoned again. they told me to find another one and send this one back after some serious talking. so now i found one but it will cost me the difference which was 81.47 which i paid. the costumer service said i can not change again. Guess what the mattress i recieved is another piece of crap so now i am stuck with a mattress that is no good. i guess now i will go and buy another one someplace else it is so sad as sears used to be good on the returns and guarntees.

outside contractor serviced blower and after 15 minutes run time motor seized sears or contractor will not even consider any help

had recall done by outside contractor on briggsand stratton engine after running engine seized neither contractor ar sears will help contractor says they do not take out drain plug tochange oil which could be true but it is the filler plug that was missing but sears nor service people will listen al theysay is I should have checked oil before running what they do not listen is there was oil on start up but it leaked out through the missing plug also they broke of a bolt in cover which they also deny doing i feel i got totaly shafted by sears and the contractor who by the way is not even a reconized dealer for briggs and stratton

[Resolved] misrepresented warranty!

I purchased a new top of the line die hard battery with 3 year free replacement from sears,4 months shy of...

[Resolved] sears master protection agreement is a joke

We purchased a Kenmore Side by Side Refrigerator, a Range (Stove), a Range Hood and a dishwasher with an...

[Resolved] scam and rip off!

We have bought all our appliances from Sears and we have had no complaints until now. We bought a brand new stove that was delivered to our home while I was at work , my husband was home and let the men in little did we know that they have delivered a damaged stove to us. I not having a new stove in over 15 years, I thought it was just me needing to get use to a new stove. I kept trying different things to get my cakes and bars and hams and turkeys to bake right they would get burned on the back side of the stove and be still not done in the front of the stove. I did call the store and talk with the manager and got no satisfaction from that. Now we are having problems with the top burners, they will not light, they click and click because it is a electric start gas stove ( Kenmore) but will not light.

We have had a repairman come out now two times he has to come back again with parts for the burner. We purchased the extended warranty. I have called the sears store again to inform them that their manager did not get back to us after he sent out a inspector to see the damaged stove, that we informed him about, only to find out that he is no longer in that position at that store. I really love the appliances that we have purchased from Sears and we have this one compliant and would like to have a new stove that we paid full price for instead of this damaged stove that someone else might have ordered and we got instead.

I would really like to be acknowledged about this instead of being told that they will have to investigate this and then never getting called back, it is like being nonexistent, and unimportant.

RESOLVED

• Sears's response · May 01, 2013

Dear Marie Jungroth,
    We apologize for the troubles you been having with your stove and the repair of the same. My name is Edwin and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. We would like to look into this further and provide you any necessary assistance in getting this issue resolved. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Marie Jungroth), phone # used at time of purchase to [email protected] We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Edwin C.
    Social Media Moderator
    Social Media Support Team

• Du
    Duane L F Sep 06, 2012

We purchased replacement windows from sears with a "lifetime"warranty. The windows cost $5700. At the time of the sale we were told that if a window failed, or got broken, they would ship a new window at NO COST. I would be required to pay for instillation unless it was a removable section. The seal failed in a removable section causing the inside of the double pane to cloud over. I called Sears--I was told it'd be $100 to come out and check the window and that I would have to pick up the replacement window AT THE FACTORY, whatever state that may be in--or country. Needless to say, our new siding wasn't from Sears, nor the front door and attic insulation. Sears will not honor warranties--period! Useless to talk to them

• Ca
    carhop122 Sep 06, 2012

It look like your husband is a very stupid person for not inspecting the stove while the delivery people was there.

• Al
    Albeert Apr 25, 2013

It looks like the people at Sears are even more stupid for not installing the stove properly like they were supposed to. It wasn't the husbands job to inspect anything. When you purchase something, you should be able to trust the company you purchased it from.

[Resolved] extremely poor customer service!

My husband and I have been a sears customer, especially for tools and appliances, for over 20 years. I will...

terrible experience!

After a lifetime of being a devoted Sears customer, I will never do business with Sears again. Bought a $2000 GE refrigerator w/ 5 yr warranty. Had a problem, called Service. My mistake.

2/5/08
Scheduled svc for 2/6 8:00-12:00. Was told that I would get a call after 8:00 am. Provided my cell and home phone #s.

2/6 Appt #1
Got a msg at 7:45 am from the tech, while in the shower. No call back number. Immediately called Svc [protected]. Told them I would be out until 8:30 taking the kids to school, so to have the tech call my cell. However, he came at 8:20 and called my home phone that he was there. Got home at 8:30, called Svc again, who said they would have the tech return. Nothing. Called 5-6 times each time being told the tech would call w/in 30 mins. Finally, at 1:30 I rescheduled for next morning 8:00-12:00.

2/7 Appt #2 & #3
After 9:00 am called Svc who claimed that my service WASN'T IN THE SYSTEM! Had to reschedule for 8:00-5:00. Was told the tech would call sometime to confirm.

Called Sears [protected] to complain. While looking at my log, said that MY 8:00-5:00 SERVICE HAD BEEN REJECTED! Funny, nobody called to tell me. Said that I had to reschedule, so I asked for the (MA) District Svc Mgr. After 10 mins got a number [protected].

Appt #4
I called and was told that the Svc Mgr was not in and to call the 800 number. After insistence, a Jim Louder said that my service was rescheduled for 2/8. I told him that 3 days off from work was unacceptable. He said to schedule service for a Saturday, not caring what I had been through. I insisted on service today, but he would not commit or commit to a call back for yes or no.

So, now I will make it my goal to find someone high enough in the Sears organization who actually gives a rats @$$ about customers, so that they understand why I will never be one again. I will also spread the word so that others don't have to suffer through the Sears Service Nightmare.

MARIAN O. LANGSTON Oct 19, 2007

SEARS refused to give me an adjustment for a Craftsman cordless polesaw less than two years old that no longer works. I ordered from Sears a new battery and a new charger totaling $86.00, but it still doesn't work. Sears refused to:

1)make some kind of adjustment for the polesaw either an exchange, or partial refund;
    2)refund me my money for the new charger and battery even though I had receipts, stating I had ordered the charger and battery on line this month. The store manager says the individual stores cannot refund online merchandise EVEN THOUGH THE ONLINE SITE CLEARLY STATES YOU CAN TAKE ANY ITEM ORDERED ONLINE AND RETURN IT TO ANY SEARS STORE.
    I walked out leaving the pole saw, the battery and the charger. I'm a SEARS "preferred" customer since 1974. Today I canceled my credit card. I will never walk into a SEARS store again. I surely miss the integrity of the "old" SEARS stores. Everything they have is made in China and of course because it's "crap" they can no longer stand behind it.

noobcycle Nov 23, 2007

HAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA I LOVE THIS ONE OOOO BOY !!

SO SEARS WHO HAS THE BEST REFUND POLICY ON EARTH WHO ALLOWS you to drag in your rusted ,broken dented ,non working 1 year old merchandise is not good enough now you want 2 years??? well hell why not make everything a buy it once and if it ever dies or has a problem it os forever reefundable ??? i mean that way there wont be a single store left on earth?? ewhy because no one will be able to sell anything at some point in time everyone will be just shopping to exchange stuff no new sales ever !! hahahaahah

dude get off it stop being a cheap ### buy a new one !
    and next time buy a replacement agreement they are for 2 years instead of the regular 1 year store warrenty this is by the way the only time ill ever recommend a warrenty is on power tools !! you can beat the crap out of em and smile when retuning them lol

so now you are going to shop somewere else lol ok well cant wait till u try and return something anywere else its 30 days partneR (: so good luck!

• Hw
    H wiggins Dec 08, 2007

You are correct. Sears should call it Customer NO Service. I ordered a washing machine on line and was told that it was shipped out, only to call back two days later to find out if it was delivered to the store for pickup, and was told that it was on backorder. How could it have been shipped out two day ago, if it is on backorder. They will tell you what you want to hear just to make a sale. I got terrible customer service from the 1-800 number and in the store. They had no explanation. They never even said they were sorry. No worries, I went next door to Lowes bought the same washing machine at a better price, and took it home with. It seems as if Sears could learn a few things from their neighbor. I also will never shop at a Sears again.

DOUG Jan 18, 2008

if its not in warranty suck it up and move on your fault here 100%

• Er
    Erin Feb 29, 2008

I sent a $400 diamond necklace in for repair. The repair company Sears uses said that they shipped it back, even providing a tracking number. When contacted, UPS stated that the package was never sent out. So far... 5 months later I am still chasing the missing necklace. No one from the store seems to want to get involved except Loss Prevention, whom I know personally. The jewelry manager is not helpful at all.

AnnaLise Dec 10, 2008

1. Everything breaks eventually. Unless the product was still under warranty, or you purchased an additional warranty, you are not going to get it replaced. No other store is likely to replace it for you either.

2.There are problems doing online returns in store. I probably could have done it (I work at Sears), but the vast majority of employees do not know how to process an online return. (The store manager at my store doesn't even know how to run a register.) For some reason, the in store computer system does not recognized the online reciepts, even though it is suppossed to. This is, of course, Sears's fault, not yours.

-The pole saw, the battery, and the charger were likely thrown in the garbage. I'm not sure what you were trying to accomplish by doing that. You probably should have taken them home with you and called the online customer service number.

-Sears Credit Cards are owned by Citibank, not Sears. Canceling your Sears Charge has little or no effect on Sears (but may hurt your credit rating).

-Your chances of finding products that were not made overseas are slim to none. You may be able to find some items on specialty online stores, but if you walk into any department store in the country you will be unable to find many American-made items.

• Sh
    shaker65 Apr 04, 2011

If the person has a receipt and the warranty for said product is covered under it for a period of time (appliances is usually 2 to 5 years) then the store that they purchased it from is obligated to do something about to repair the product. Citibank/Sears credit services (boy what a joker there), can't even keep or, update their records properly. They are either incompetent, stupid (I won't insult handicap people by saying [censor]ed, the handicap people have more intellengence). I say file a complaint with the FTC & BBB then go to every (and I do mean every) news outlet and social network and nail to the wall. Either way good luck.

• Be
    Becca12612 Dec 06, 2012

I too had a bad experience with the repair service at Sears. They are experts at giving you the run around. Have tried for 3 days to get a technician out to repair a water heater. I am currently on the phone with them again. I am so frustrated I am ready to just forget all warranties and pay another professional to come out and fix it. Too bad because we've been long-time shoppers of Sears, willing to pay a bit more for better customer service. Well those days are over. I'll buy my appliances and whatever else somewhere else. I wouldn't buy a pair of panty hose at Sears now.

• Ni
    Nixer Oct 14, 2016

Same problem with Jim, bought a stove, they sold me a converter kit to adjust to my propane. After 4 repairmen, they said the stove could not be converted to propane. Jim is blaming my gas company for converting it wrong. The liar. I have the name of the repairman who claims he has 2 other stoves like this. I'm thinking of going to small claims court!

terrible quality product!

My husband and I were engaged to be married so we decided to renovate our home. Upon completing of construction, our final touch was to add a new dishwasher. We went to the Sears Outlet store in Santa Ana, California. Once there at the outlet store, we asked the associate for help in finding the best machine offered at that store. She directed us to the “Bosch” dishwasher because it was a “best seller” and the one they had in stock, we were told, had only “cosmetic damage” and had been put through the Sears “all-points inspection”. She assured us that the machine had only suffered a small scratch on the front panel and that this was the only flaw; we were reassured that the machine would run perfectly as it should, as if it were brand new. The unit was delivered to our home. The following day the Sears tech came out to set up the machine, after running a test he said the machine was missing a part and should never have been sold in this condition, he said he would order the part, to be delivered to our home, and he would come back in 10 days to get the machine in working order. He turned off water and machine, and said that “in the meanwhile the machine may leak a little water, and nothing more than a towel and a fan to dry it out, I will see you when the part arrives”. That night the dishwasher began to leak more and more water, and this is where our mistreatment and neglect on Sears part began.

Both my wife and I made between 40-50 logged phone calls to different entities of Sears such as, legal dept., corporate office etc. Anyone within the Sears Corp. we called and left messages only to get the run-around and completely mistreated and very rudely spoken to. We have both been long time customers of Sears, my husband has been a “Sears Plus” member for over fifteen years. He and I were saddened and disgusted, at this poor demonstration of customer service. We told your Sears employee that our kitchen was submerged under water from the machine they sold us, the machine that THEIR tech came out to help us set up, had and was continuing to destroy our home. We begged and pleaded with them (many Sears’s employees) to send any one out to help us.

We were told by the Sears employee that this was not their problem and an assessor would be out in 8 days to evaluate the problem. As our home sat in stagnant water, our new construction ruined, soaking and warping, and using our brand new towels and linens that were our engagement gifts to soak up the water.

Our entire kitchen, dinning room, living room, closets, cabinets and wine cellar area were already destroyed and sitting, stagnant, in hot water. We immediately grabbed all of our towels and sheets, any thing within arms reach to stop this destruction to our newly constructed home to absorb the over flow of water. I watched all my antiques and wedding gifts, everything we owned and valued, sitting, soaking in water.

The hardest thing to accept is that all of this could have been resolved in a much quicker manor, if procedures had been taken more seriously and done correctly, on Sears’ part. All of this destruction and havoc would not have ruined what was supposed to be the happiest time in our lives. Instead this whole event has caused me and my family NEEDLESS stress and heart ache because of Sears neglect and misconduct.

• Ju
    Julie Feb 06, 2008

I wish I could have actually talked to someone in Customer Service with Sears about the experience that I've just had, but anytime I asked to talk to a supervisor or customer service, they would not transfer my call. So, I can't even complain to Sears since I can't even get through to someone at Sears to complain to! Quite Infuriating!

It started when I ordered a refrigerator last December (after mine broke). I told the salesman exactly which size refrigerator and which kind of door opening (Right-Hand). The salesman poked around on the computer, gave me a price, I paid for it and we set up a delivery date of January 12 (It was a special order). I got a computer call on January 11, stating my delivery window was from 11-1pm the next day, so I was happy that I would finally have a refrigerator in my house, since I had gone through the holidays with no refrigerator at all. January 12 comes and half way through my delivery window, I
    get a call from Sears stating that they don't have my refrigerator. So, I ask, why was I called with a delivery window just the day before?? Of course, they have no answer to my question. They said they didn't know where the refrigerator was. Hmmm... Isn't that what inventory is for?? I received phone calls every day with a computer message to call Sears. So, of course, I call them back, go through all the information, my phone number, my address, etc... (mind you, you have to do this EVERY time to speak to someone new), I finally get to a representative, telling my story yet again, only to find out, there was no new information. I question why I keep receiving phone calls on a daily basis to which they have no answer. Then, I finally get a call the following week (about Jan 16th) saying they have my refrigerator and I scheduled the date for this second delivery for January 19th. Mind you, I paid extra to have the delivery done on a Saturday to save some of my time. Ironic now isn't it? So, I have already sacrificed one Saturday waiting for that call from Sears to tell me when it is convenient for them to deliver my merchandise. So, here I am again, waiting for another Saturday for this refrigerator to be delivered. January 19th comes and I see the Sears truck pull up to my house. They start to take the packaging off my new refrigerator when the delivery guy tells me we have a problem. The door opens the wrong way. Rest assured, I can use this "loaner refrigerator" until the correct one is ordered and delivered. I spoke to a Sears rep that morning after the delivery guy talked with them. She told me a supervisor would call me to get this straightened out. I wait for a few days. No call from a supervisor. So, I spend another couple of days waiting on hold, explaining my story multiple times, trying to find out what happened to the supervisor that is supposed to call me. I was told that there was no note in my record to have a supervisor call So, at this point I am livid at the fact that I can't get help from anyone and I am lied to about having a supervisor call. In speaking to yet another representative, I am told I will have to wait another 2 weeks since it is a special order. In the meantime, that past weekend, the exact same refrigerator was on sale at Sears for $50 less than what I paid. I asked for compensation for all of the trouble and time Sears had caused me in these past 5 weeks (mind you, I would guess at this point I had wasted at least 8 hours of my time between waiting for deliveries, waiting on the phone, explaining the story over and over again). I was told the only thing that could be done is to give me a $50 gift certificate to Sears. So, I'm thinking that after all the trouble that Sears caused me, I get a gift certificate and have to shop again at Sears??? I find it appalling that I received no help and no compensation for my trouble, unless you count all the times I heard "I'm sorry for the inconvenience".

I am so angry at this point, I spend more time, go to the store where I originally purchased the refrigerator and cancel my order. Of course, this took about an hour since I had to explain to the employee, who had to call an 800 number, then I had to talk to the 800 number until I thought we had everything straight. So, Sears was to come to my house and pick up the "loaner fridge" on January 26th and give me a full refund. Another saturday that I get to wait around for the Sears delivery crew to come by and pick up the loaner. If only the refund included all the hours I wasted of my time on multiple saturdays as well as on the phone.

So, now all I need is to have my money refunded. I wait 10 days and don't see any refund of any kind. I call the 800 number... again, they tell me to call the store I purchased it from. I call the store, they tell me to call the 800 number. I finally convince the store that I am not calling back and forth. They start investigating the problem. Finally, I have a name and a phone number of someone I can talk to about whats going on. They then tell me that there is no record of the "loaner refrigerator" in their system. I think to myself "Of course there isn't". How many things can go wrong with this one item??? After a few more phone calls, I am assured that my refund is in the mail. I have not received it as of yet, but hope the refund is the correct amount... although after this experience, I would not be at all surprised if the refund amount is incorrect.

I honestly don't know how Sears can stay in business when they treat their customers in the manner that I have been treated in these past few weeks. One can only hope a company that has such poor customer service will not stay in business much longer. I spent countless hours trying to understand where the disconnect was happening, in between calling numerous 800 numbers explaining my story hundreds of times.

So, I write this letter up and submit it to Sears Customer Service and my response from them is "We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the delivery of your merchandise. We want to make sure your issue is addressed, so please contact our Home Delivery group at 1-800-SEARS-47 (1-800-732-7747) for assistance" which is of course the 800 number that I had called before and would not transfer me to a supervisor or customer service.

This is just the first of a number of appliances that I am going to be replacing and if you read this whole complaint, I'm sure you see where I will not be purchasing any more appliances.

• Lo
    Lottie Honer May 16, 2008

I purchased a Sears Washer/Dryer unit in Sept. 2007. Within one week of the delivery, I had the repairman out there. He has since been back on numerous occasions. Just getting him to my house, is usually a good week delay, and then the frequently cancel and reschedule on me too. ANYWAY, the latest problem is going to cost $700.00 to fix. The unit was $1100.00, which Sears has spent more than that to fix this lemon so far. I want a new unit, but Sears told me they will not replace it. I didn't have my washer/dryer working the week of Christmas (and I had a lot of company), now I am not going to have it for the Memorial Day Weekend holiday, and again am having a lot of family visiting. I don't know what I can do. The warranty is up in Sept. 2008, and if (when) it breaks, I am not going to be able to afford to fix it. I am 73 years old and on Social Security with a fixed income. I could never be able to come up with $700.00 to fix this thing.

• Lu
    Lukroi Feb 18, 2013

So the water to the unit was turned off, yet it still leaked water somehow. You didn't question this when the tech was out? Use some logic people! Seems obvious to me that THE WATER WAS NOT OFF! DO you not have some basic sense or knowledge of your own home on how to turn off the water to specific rooms or fixtures? I'm amazed at the lack of common sense from the average consumer.

tried to jack the total up over $260!

I am a skilled home repair/remodeler who had the misfortune of dealing with Sears delivery. We ordered a dishwasher from Sears about 3 weeks ago. Old one is burned out... get a new one... easy replacement... shouldn't be any problems. 300 for the dishwasher... and an extra 140 bucks for INSTALLATION. I'm takin' the day off and I'm gonna let Sears wrestle with the dishwasher.

So they are here right on time and some guy gets out of his personal dented pick-up truck in sloppy shorts and a beat up t-shirt. Comes in.. takes one look at the sink... and says, "I'm gonna need to drill a hole in your sink (in addition to the one thats there) that'll be 184 dollars. Plus air gap kit extra 86 dollars." I said, "There's a hole there now - just use that one."
He says, "Nope, the hose will kink, your garbage disposal is facing the wrong way." So I said, "Our old dishwasher never seemed to have any trouble with a kinked hose, what's the problem?'

It was right about now that I'm figuring that this guy just wants extra money, and without any extra money he isn't going to do a thing. So I checked him by asking, "Can you just put the dishwasher in the slot. Hook up the water lines and I'll take care of the air gap?'

HE SAYS NO.

So I asked him what the hell the 140 INSTALLATION charge was for. No reply of course. I told him if he cant get Sears to refund the "Installation" charge, to just keep the dishwasher. He called and got us the refund. We only paid a 35 dollar delivery charge. He left the dishwasher in the garage.

Needless to say, I installed the dishwasher myself... no problems, same hole for the air gap, hose is in no way "kinking", and I even found out they make an under the counter air gap which require no holes at all. So I never did get an installation professional here. What I saw that day... was a con man with my dishwasher.

Sears sucks.

• Mr
    Mrs. Hall to you Jun 05, 2008

I agree. SEARSsucks is a rip off. Double oven started giving F7 error. Tech came out and said I hear you're getting an F9 error. I said no - F7. He said it was the control board. Ordered a new one. Next week different tech came out and installed the new board. Less than an hour later the new board was giving the F7 error. After I had paid SEARSsucks $575.28. Now they're refusing to refund my money. They will send a tech to remove my new board but they won't give me back my old board or my money??? Sent a complaint to the Governor's Office of Consumer Affairs. There are tons of websites regarding the Kenmore F7 issue. It's more of a product defect that they won't discuss. NEVER buy from SEARSsucks

• Mr
    Mrs. Wright Nov 23, 2008

Wow, the dishwasher fiasco sounds almost identical to mine. Too long of a story to get into and tired of talking about it. But yes, Sears and the installers they use are not very ethical.

• Co
    Consumer-Advocate May 03, 2010

Totally agree. Terrible experience with Sears delivery. This past Saturday was the 3rd attempt to deliver our refrigerator. First, wrong one. Second one, damaged. And now the 3rd one, also DAMAGED. The delivery guy says he told the people at the warehouse that he didn't want to take it because it was obviously damaged, and they told him to try and deliver it anyway. What the heck? Were they trying to slip another damaged one by the customer. Did they think we wouldn't care, or did they just not want to have to deal with it? The delivery guy felt like he was getting stuck in the middle and the warehouse didn't want to talk with us. Sears customer service was completely unprofessional, could not help, other than trying to order another one. Never apologized. When I asked to speak to his supervisor, he put me on hold for a 1/2 hour and no one ever came back. I'm even madder now and dealing with the Sears appliance center in Tampa to try and get this resolved, but let me save you the aggravation if you're considering buying from Sears. DON'T DO IT!!!

John Gregg Aug 03, 2011

Same story. I bought a dishwasher and had Sears deliver it. Expensive, but convenient. My wife was home with they showed up, and it wasn't Sears employees, but local plumbing flunkies. They immediately declared the old dishwasher hookup to be "not to code", and said they would have to charge another $250 to do the job. What could my wife do? if she had pressed the point, they most likely would have left with the dishwasher, and it would have been a time consuming and expensive effort to get someone else to install the thing. So she gulped, paid them, and they installed the thing and were out of there in less than an hour. Maybe the ancient dishwasher hookup wasn't up to code, but it is fishy to say the least that they use that as a pretext to double their price for less than an hour's work. As Mrs. Wright said, neither Sears nor their flunkies are ethical. Needless to say, the Sears representative I spoke to about this was unsympathetic to the point of rudeness.

defective electronic control board!

I just paid $271 to repair my Sears "Elite" Evenheat Dryer. Several months ago I received a card stating there is a Class Action Law Settlement for the make and model that I have. This law suit was for a malfunction of the "Electronic Control Board" . The deadline to respond was Jan. 16, 2008. My dryer malfunctioned on Jan. 13th, 2008. Sears repair could not schedule a appointment for almost 2-weeks. I missed the deadline date to submit my complaint which was a defective "electronic control board". Now I'm not sure what my options are to get reimbursed for something I feel I am entitled to. I've had this dryer since Sept. 2003, but, I only use the dryer about 6-8 hours a month because I do my laundry at my daughter's house (I keep house for her). This dryer has had very little usage!

oven door won't close all the way!

Bought a Sears Kenmore gas range and did not take delivery till about 6 months later as we were remodeling a house. A few months later we installed it and I slowly discovered that the oven temperature varied widely by 30 to 60 degrees. I thought is was the digital display problem, and bought an oven thermometer so I would know what the temperature really was so I could bake.. Then I finally noticed that the problem was that the oven door was not closing all the way. The heat was leaking out and that is why the temperature varied and it took twice as long to bake anything.

The repair person said that this is a hinge problem and Sears is well aware of it, but will not do a recall... Since the stove is a few months out of warranty WE are responsible to replace the hinges which were a factory flaw to the tune of $200. There has also been a problem with the digital controls and a replacement for this with the hinges will cost almost $500.00 So we have a one year old stove that has been in use for only 8 months and we are going to throw it out and buy something else and NEVER by a SEARS appliance again...