Sears / no refund for cancelled order

I ordered a riding lawnmower part on 5/3/07 from Sears with an estimated delivery date of 5/7 via phone [protected]. I was told it was available, and clarified that it was not on back-order. When it did not arrive on 5/8 I called Sears and was told it was on backorder, and when I mentioned that I specifically asked about that when I ordered the part, I was told that system must not have been updated; they apologized for any inconvenience, and they did not know when it would come available. I immediately found a local service man who ordered the part at 4:30pm and had it in the following day, from Greenville, SC, for 2.5 times the cost of Sears (I think it was worth it). I immediately called Sears back that afternoon to cancel order; was told it was canceled and would see my full refund soon including shipping, as the part had not been shipped. On 5/11, I received a call saying order could not be canceled as it had already been shipped. In order to get full refund, I requested how to proceed once the part arrived. Rep did not know when it would arrive the manufacturer had not provided a tracking number. I was instructed to simply watch for the package for the next 5-7 business days and refuse it when it arrived. I explained that I could not sit at my house and wait for UPS driver to come whenever. I was then told I should accept the package and then ship it at my cost back to Sears, who did not believe they could compensate me for postage; however I should purchase delivery confirmation as proof of delivery. So, I posted note on door, and called back everyday to try and get tracking #. I finally got the tracking # on 5/17, from Sears, the day package arrived, this is when I learned that the part had not been shipped until 5/16 from Greenville, SC, presumably the same placed that shipped the other part I received 8 days earlier. The tracking # (provided by driver and matched Sears tracking #) showed delivery back to company in Dallas, TX on 5/22. I called Sears on 5/23 and was told the company did not have part (Sears rep – Kendra in customer relations – parts department). When I told rep I had tracking number that showed part had been delivered she said they did not have it, and this why I should have accepted the part and shipped it back with delivery confirmation, at my cost, because my tracking # was not proof. After disagreeing with her for 5 minutes she finally agreed to look up tracking #, agreed that the part had been delivered, and must not have been processed. However, because I refused package instead of reshipping it myself, my refund would not show up until the next billing cycle. When I told her that I merely did as I was instructed by another cust rep, she stated that I should not have been told such, and there was nothing more she could do. I explained I used to work with Sears in Maryville, TN and when we had a customer that was upset we got a manager to satisfy the customer, then I was put on hold and transferred to the repair center (not a manager). That person transferred me to Kenny in Mobile, AL, who is a customer service rep “with manager authority.” I told him situation, and that I was displeased. I explained that I received too many mixed messages, I had been told things that were not honored, I was not told things that came back to frustrate later, and I wanted Sears to show that they care for their customers. I should get a full refund, after over 5 hours on the phone, and after at least a month since I originally canceled the order. For my trouble, I asked Kenny to authorize a free oil change ($22 value), as I use Sears for batteries, tires, oil changes, little auto stuff, etc which they could look up in records. Kenny responded, "I cannot do anything more for you sir. I have already refunded your shipping." Wasn't that supposed to happen anyway? I canceled order on 5/8, (8 days before shipping). Sears never should have paid for shipping; they had plenty of time to not ship item. Why can't someone pick up a phone and cancel the order manually.

Comments

• Da
      26th of Mar, 2011

I originally purchased a "Dirt Devil" carpet cleaner from Sears Service center in Salem, Oregon. I used it without any problems for over 5 years. The pump which moves the liquid from the tank to the carpet failed so, I took it into the service center for appraisel and possible repair. I was told the techs in Seattle would call me within 1 week to let me know if parts were even available for my carpet cleaner. It is 1 week to the day and NO phone call from the techs in Seattle. I took the initiative and called them only to discover it had NOT even been looked at so far. I called the service center to tell them I could NOT wait any more and I would like to get my money back. I initially paid $29.99 for an estimate on the cost of repair. I was told I could NOT get a refund. I explained it was over the 1 week period and my machine had not even been looked at. I told them if they wanted to issue me a store credit I would in turn buy a new machine from Sears. Again, they refused. I immediately called my bank and put a "stop payment" on the $29.99 deposit. I went to my bank to get some cash out for the up & coming week-end where my friend, a teller at my bank told me "Sears is NOT known for their customer service. I have purchased quite a few and costly items from Sears including tires for my car. I'll consider this a lesson well learned and will NEVER again darken Sears doorway for any purchases. BTW: I even bought a lawn mower from Sears. Never again!!

• Ba
      3rd of Jun, 2016
    Sears - cancellation of personal accounts

It seems that CitiBank owns Sears/Kmart. I have been a card carrying customer of Sears for 30+ years. My mom had me put onto her Sears credit card (that she held for at least 15 years prior) when I was a teenager, to help me establish some credit status when I became an adult. Needless to say, between my mom and myself... we have been card carrying customers for nearly 50 years.

Over the years that I have had the card, I have had financial problems that caused my payments to be late but always caught up by the next month. I filed bankruptcy in the past (not on them) and I was allowed to continue as a card carrying customer. My Sears credit card account has been totally paid off many many times also.

I was elated when Sears joined with KMart and I could use the Sears card at both stores. This meant I could get just about anything on the card...including prescriptions and food or major appliances and car repairs, not to mention the special tools needed and lawn mowers. Yep, I was a loyal customer to Sears and to KMart but last year, I received a letter from Citibank stating that my Sears account would be closed because of my credit history. My Sears account had been totally paid off for several months at the time and I had just paid cash for 4 new tires to be put on my car along with a brand new clothes dryer. This was the first time that I had heard of Citibank owning the other companies.

Citibank was one of the first companies that borrowed BILLIONS from the government so they wouldnt go belly up (and so their bigwigs could continue to get million dollar bonuses, company cars, time at luxury resorts, ect) while Sears stayed in business due to KMart. One would think that Citibank might want to keep the long termed, loyal card carrying customers of Sears and KMart around instead of kicking them to the curb as soon as possible. Maybe doing this makes Citibank look good on paper, but they look like greedy ### who could care less about the other companies very loyal customers.

I do have a question for CitiBank, did the thought ever cross your mind that the ones who came up with doing this Sears and KMart's loyal customers are the same ones who ran your company into the ground? Maybe the very bright persons who screwed your company up so bad arent really so bright in business after all? It is ok that you tossed the very loyal customers of Sears/Kmart to the curb because there are a lot of other stores out there that would appreciate having our business.