Complaints & Reviews

poor service

Unlike other stores that I shopped in, this store did have the brand I was looking for and the salesman who waited on me was pleasant and even pointed out to me the $30 rebate on this product. I already knew about it from finding this product on today's Circuit City web site.

My complaint comes from my attempt to purchase this product. First of all, the cashier could not enter my purchase on her computer because it did not have a SKU number on it. Then she went to speak with another perhaps cashier who was busy with other customers and told her to look up the number on the web site. Apparently, my cashier did not know how to find the SKU number on the website. When I offered to get another product package the cashier informed me that none of these products had been stamped with a SKU number.

After 10 minutes of attempting to find the SKU number, she spoke with another cashier who made several suggestions on how to find the appropriate web site with the appropriate SKU number. Finally she found the number, but could not give me the $30 rebate because the rebate did not show up on her computer screen. After looking up the MP3 ad on the store's web site and seeing the rebate offer listed there, she went to get the price marker for the MP3 product and read to me off the marker a statement in very small print that the rebate offer ended two days ago.

When I pointed out to the cashier that it did not say that the rebate expired on the store's web site, she went to get a man who probably was a manager. He briefly spoke to the cashier and to me about the problem and then left to go somewhere to look into this stating he would be back.

After waiting another 10 minutes without the manager returning I told the cashier I didn't want to wait any longer and if this weren't the only store that had this MP3 player I would have left already. Unable to relocate the store manager who disappeared, the cashier then went back to the first man she had spoken to about the SKU. She came back to me still waiting and told me that the first man told her she could not give me the rebate because the rebate was only for products ordered online and then picked up at the store.

Rather than pointing out that there was no statement to that effect either on Circuit City's web site or on the store shelf, I paid for the MP3 player at full price, just relieved to finally leave the store with a MP3 in hand.

As I was finishing my purchase the manager magically reappeared and the cashier explained to him that I made my purchase at full price.

He started to speak but I interrupted and told him he had just lost a customer by providing me with such poor service.

• Na
    NANCY JONES Jan 30, 2008

I continue to have problems with Chase online bill pay. I cannot successfully access the account to pay my bill timely for the last several months. They are very quick to then hit me with late charges. As soon as my balance is paid I will cancel the account with Chase. VERY BAD BUSINESS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

• De
    Deirdre M. Nelson Jul 15, 2009

How do I make a one time on-line payment to Circuit City? I went to www.chase.com/circuitcity and could not find a place to make a one-time on-line payment?

low cost - not worth the time & frustration

If you are purchasing a cell phone and you have the option to buy from any other source I would advise that you do so. If you have any issues with the phone it is a complicated and drawn out process to get something fixed rather than a quick trip to the store. I took advantage of the low price for a Verizon phone and wish I would have just gotten it directly from the Verizon store. The money I saved was not worth the frustration.

Circuit City gives you 30 days in case you decide you don't like the item or if you have any issues, problem is the 30 days starts when you place the order, not when the item is delivered. In my case, I received the phone 6 days after I placed the order leaving me 24 days. This wouldn't have been an issue except the phone I received happened to be defective (speaker phone did not work and would cause other features, such as ringtones to also not work) something I did not realize 5 days prior to the end of my 30 days. Of course the defect is not Circuit City's fault, nor is it mine. I'm very glad I noticed it before the 24 days had ended! I took the phone to the Verizon store and they determined that it was indeed a manufacturer defect. They said I would have to go back to Circuit City online in order to receive a new phone as a replacement. Since it took so long to get the first one I was not thrilled to hear this.

First off, when you call the customer service line you end up speaking to representatives that are located in their call center. This wouldn't be bad; except they are located in India and many of the customer service reps do not speak clear English. When you are already frustrated the language barrier does not make things easier.

I was told in order to get a replacement phone I would have to send them my current phone, once received they would ship out a new phone. This is not acceptable if your cell happens to be your only phone and you do not have access to a land line. When I explained this to the rep I was told that they could ship me the phone first only if I put down a $250 deposit to ensure I send the defective phone back to them. After I said that wasn't going to work either I was told if I promised to send the phone back to them they would ship the replacement with a label for me to send the defective phone back. I was so frustrated at this point I told them I wanted to cancel the whole thing and would call them back to let them know what I was going to do.

After debating if it would be worth it to just pay the contract termination fee and take my business elsewhere I decided to suck it up as it was again, the cheaper option. When I called back to have them ship me the new phone I was passed to another woman who spoke very fractured English. I really couldn't understand what she said. I believe a new phone is being shipped to me and once received I will send the defective phone back to them. At this point I am thankful that my 30 days is up very soon so if there are any other issues I won't have to call them back for assistance. Let's hope that I receive the phone in 2-3 days as I was told and that everything else goes smoothly!

**Another important point to consider before ordering- if you do take advantage of one of their cell phone deals keep in mind you can make no changes to your cell phone plan for 6 months unless you are upgrading. This is important if you get a feature or minutes that end up being more than what you actually need, you cannot downgrade to save some cash until the 6 months is up or you will end up paying fees including the total retail cost of the phone.

it is a complete waste of your time

I went to the Circuit City store to purchase an MP3 player & got my MP3 player & poor service.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Mar 29, 2011

I'm surprised there are any Circuit Citys open anymore. At least your cashier seems like she/he tried really hard to help you within their means.

do not believe anything in the why buy from us link

Do not believe anything in the why buy from us link. I bought a tv, it didnt work Of course they have no contact # for that- then the customer service Rep. Told me that they have no service for non working products- even though I just got it yesterday and gave me a mitsubishi Phone #- that was a computer- In other word they have NO CUSTUMER SUPPORT.

return policy nightmare

I received a Return Authorization (C11286160) number for the order from Circuit City and returned it to Systemax, following every instruction to the letter, fully insured.

I was informed by Systemax that the unit was damaged during return shipping and was a total loss. I was told to file a claim. I filed a claim with USPS and it was denied because USPS said it could find NO damage inside OR outside.

Systemax did NOT provide ANY documentation or explanation of the damage to USPS. No pictures or description of the damage have been provided by Circuit City or Systemax to date. Systemax took the unit to the Post Office in Fletcher, OH and have left it there.

I am trying to appeal the denial but, without proof of the damage from C.C. or Systemax, USPS will not issue a refund. I was informed by USPS that after 60 days the unit will be disposed of. Time is now paramount.

PayPal made the payment to Circuit City in the amount of $1, 675.62 and they want their money returned. PayPal has now turned this debt over to Pinnacle Financial for collections and my credit is in peril.

not honoring warranty

In August of 2007 I purchased a Sony Viao Lap Top from Circuit City...which was my my favorite store to shop for electronics. I purchased the lap top for 3700.00 including the 360.00 for the 3 year extended warranty. In January of 2008 My Boo (my doggie) stepped on my key board and broke it, I sent it in for repair and tried to get a new battery, they said I would have to get it fixed and send it in again for the battery..why I don't know. I never did call back for that battery, knowing that they really do go bad after a year. In 2009, what happens Circuit City goes broke...yup bankrupt...so I just assume (I know what that means yes) that their warranty company went along with it. I am have problems with it getting really hot but continue to deal with it because I think I have no warranty and I know I have no job...so how would I pay. I started getting email from Circuit City when they started up on line and I searched their website and low and behold the warranty company still exists and it's bragging that all old warranties will be honored. Yippee, because on the 4th of July my computer crashed and it's in need of some serious work. I called them and wait for about 30 minutes on line when Marvin comes on and a very thick Indian accent...tells me that I only bought a one year warranty and it expired in August of 2009. Hmmmm..If I only bought a 1 year warrant how can it expire in 2009 if I purchased it in 2007. Ok fax me a copy of the receipt u have or email it to me. I cannot do dat ma'am it is confidential information and we are not allowed to release this information. But it's my confidential information, what the ### are you on??..Let me speak to a supervisor, ok 2 minutes ma'am. He comes back on the line after a few minutes and says the only supervisor working is busy with another customer and he is just going to say the same thing that he (Marvin) has already told me. I said no doubt he's with another complaining customer and in the entire office you guys only have that one supervisor??...Yes Ma'am. Ok give me the address of your offices, now as soon as I said this Marvin let out an audible laugh as if to say, yeah right, good luck with that. I got the message and I thought yes Marvin you are correct I will be wasting my time writing a company that could give a damn about me, a complaining customer. So the best way for me to get the word out I think, is to advertise for them. I am out of a 3700.00 computer that I paid for a 3 year warranty and I want some kind of satisfaction from knowing I'm getting screwed and not one kiss has been given. My big mistake was moving 3 times and losing my receipt...If I don't hear from Assurance in the next week I will contact the Federal Trade Commission..enough is enough...Thank you...

their extended warranty is a big fraud and scam

In 2008, I bought a 47" LG LCD HDTV from Circuit City for $1599.99.being a student not having the cash, I was lead to believer in the extended repair or replace warranties that everything was covered, the cashier individual, so I bought the 3 year Circuit City Advantage Protection plan for around $300.00. I felt like a repair or replace guarantee was a good investment because I aren't rich and wanted to make sure I had a back up should something were to happen to my new investment in the first 3 years of ownership.

Fast forward to December 2009, and I start having problems with my TV. I would turn it on but a black screen would appear, with no picture and the sound would barely come up. It was ironic, since the week it started acting up, our store in town shutdown.

Well, I called up the Advantage line to get my repair claim started, and also clarifying with the woman that I would have the T.V. replaced in a timely manner if it couldn't be fixed and that it was going to be fixed in a timely manner and she said oh, yes, absolutely, we'll have your TV. taken care of in about a week. I called them right before Christmas for an update on when they will send a technician, so the soonest they could get the repair guy, of course due to the holidays was Dec. 31st, which wasn't a problems since I was going to be out of town.

On Dec. 31st the repair guy shows up during the allotted window they said they'd be there to look at the T.V. He informs me after watching the behavior of the television, that it was the TV screen issue damaged going out and that they were going to have to take it and replace the whole TV, and so since I still had some functionality to my T.V. (Only one I own) he would leave it and come pick it up once he found out if he was going to be able to get it replace. He also informed me, that the company will debate me of the TV being physical damage and rarely were they able to get me a replacement base on my warranty, so then, most likely not to expect the T.V. to be replaced.

so then they instructed the TV repair man not to picked up the TV till they have a full sense of what is wrong with the TV and that they were going to call me right back and let me know about the replacement or getting the TV fix. They Never given me a call nor send the repairman back to talk to me.

So on January 8th, I call the repair shop to find out the status of the TV, and I am informed by the repair shop that they were not going to replace or even fix my TV, they explain to me that it would be way expensive to fix my TV than giving me a new one and seeing that they are not going to want to replace or help with that matter, there were nothing more the repair shop could do for me.

Now at this time hearing that news, I'm not happy at all, he tells me that he will call me back later that day with an update. Well, later that day he calls up with a correction, (Just like the guy who picked up the TV. originally told us) the part is unavailable, and there is no compatible aftermarket part available that would work with and that they have notified the Circuit City warranty people.

So I call Circuit City Advantage and I'm informed that they can't authorize a replacement, and they direct me to Consumer Relations. Well the first girl I talk to says, that she cannot Authorize a replacement until they first refer it to their "TECHNICAL" department because they have to try and get the part first for the repair company. Then ask, "Well, how on earth do you think that you can get the part if the repair company can’t get the part? Just replace my TV . and be done with it! It's been 2 weeks since the T.V. quit working properly, and I want a functioning T.V.! She tells me there is nothing she can do until their technical department looks into it and to call back the next day.

I told the guy that this was our only T.V., I spent $1599 plus tx on it, and that I could get a bigger, better T.V. for less today, and what on earth was the problem with replacing it since they cost less today. I told the guy, absolutely not, I want my T.V.. He said he was not going to authorize the replacement.

So in need to solve this issue with a store, after our local store closed down due to ### marketing of Circuit city greed and lies that the economy forced them to down grade they ### online and now they processing their crap online and selling people lies and false ### warranties. I drove to Milwaukee and Madison in search of a store that probably still open and operating; I finally manage to find one and explain the situation to him and wanted some form of action to take place on my expense of 1599 plus tax.

The supervisor says he "understands" my frustration but he has to have a claim number from the warranty people to replace it with the T.V. the warranty people pick out. That really got me, and I said, wait what, you mean they are going to tell me what T.V. to get, No, I want a T.V. that cost the same price that we paid 2 years ago, that's equal value! He said, well he can't do anything because he needs the claim number, by this point, I'm getting louder and louder and saying that this has turned out to be the largest rip-off, and the biggest hassle, and he kept say, you'll have to call them, and this takes time.

By that point I'm so angry, I tell him that we will NEVER buy anything from their company ever again, and that I were going to get online and post this experience everywhere we could and tell everyone about what a scam and HASSLE, this NO HASSLE warranty turned out to be. Then as I was walking away, there was an older couple look at a T.V. and I loudly said to them, "Don't let them talk you into their Advantage Protection Plan on a T.V. if you buy one here, it's a rip-off and here now a month without a working T.V. and I still haven't gotten this resolved!" The older gentleman's eyes got really wide and said, "Are you serious?" And I said "Yes!" and stormed out of the storm.

So when I called them [censored]es back about my warranty no hassles and no problems all fix and all damage will be taking care of etc. I wanted my return back for my warranty and told them if no one was willing to solve this issue I would be force into getting a lawyer. On the phone the only thing that ### did for me was laugh at me cause she think there’s nothing I can do about this issue and I want my $1599 plus tax value on a replacement at Circuit City and I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN.

THEIR EXTENDED WARRANTY IS A BIG FRAUD AND SCAM!!

• Ro
    Robert Nuccitelli Jun 19, 2008

Was not able to get web site provided on billing statement which is cardaccountservice.com/circuitcity. I could not pass my bill on line.

annal82 Aug 02, 2008

could not pay bill online because website would not load! It happens a lot with circuitcity.com...

false advertising

Office depot along with many other businesses are doing false advertising. They put items on sale, then when you go to the store, even the first day of the sale, they don't have the item. Not only does this waste my time but GAS. We are suppose to conserve on gas and yet these stores don't carry the merchandise or have 2 items in the store. Up north if you advertise something you'd better have it, because if you get caught without that item you are fined. It is considered false advertising.

vandalism and theft

I purchased a pda from circuit city and was sold a 'comprehensive full coverage warranty' to go with it. The salesperson told me that it was a higher level coverage plan then their normal warranty plan and would cover my pda if anything happened to it, including fire, vandalism, theft, etc.

My pda stopped working in august of 2008. I called to get it repaired/replaced and was told I would be receiving a replacement pda. Instead I got a box to send my pda away to their repair center (cybertest). It came back with damage to the external case, and still not working-even though the repair center's web site said they repaired it. They claim there was liquid damage to it-but it was never exposed to any liquids while in my care. They refuse to answer why they damaged the outside case, or why they claim on their web site to have repaired my pda. The circuit city customer support people have told me I would be receiving a replacement pda, and that I would be getting a gift card so I can replace my pda-I have yet to receive either. The circuit city customer support staff also claim my warranty is void because my pda was sent off to their repair center, and also refuse to answer why my pda sustained damage while outside of my care. What is the point of paying for a replacement warranty plan if they refuse to honor it and they damage your unit instead of repairing it? I have tried to talk to circuit city's customer support ddepartmenton the phone but they refuse to let me talk to a supervisor (they claim that the supervisors 'do not take calls') and they continually hang up on me. My pda was damaged/ruined by circuit city and they refuse to make good on their '100% satisfaction guarantee'

As of 2/8/06 I am still waiting for my promised replacement pda and promised refund.

scammers

I bought an $1800.00 HP Laptop from the Circuit City more then 6 months ago. They offered a $150.00 HP mail in rebate and a $50.00 Circuit City mail in rebate. After waiting 4 months and not receiving either rebate I contacted the rebate center for both Circuit City and HP. Both claim they never received my rebate. What are the odds that both did not receive it? Sounds like they did not plan on receiving them. They both told me that the rebate had expired and there was nothing they could do. I wrote to the president of each company detailing what had happened. I received a response back from HP stating they would offer me some coupons for printer ink. They did not state how much they would be worth. I wrote back and stated that they should live up to the agreement and give me my $150.00. If I wanted printer ink I would buy printer ink. I told them that if this is the way they do business I would not buy anymore HP products. This was my fourth HP computer. I said I would also spread the word about their scam. They did not respond. Circuit City never bothers to respond.

• Tm
    TMisner Aug 26, 2009

Circuit City went out of business, maybe that's why your not getting your re-bate.

• Cc
    CC0 Aug 29, 2009

Took camera to Circuit City in Ohio, where I purchased it. I was told to write on a card what I wanted fixed and pay $32 in advance. I wrote I wanted "the record button fixed". About 2 weeks later I received a call from JVC and said it would cost $168 to fix the camera. When I asked why the cost was so high they said they also had to clean it and adjust the zoom. I told them I did not want it cleaned and that the zoom was working fine. They said the had an agreement with Circuit City that they had to fix anything "they thought needed to be fixed". I went to Circuit City and said I only wanted the record button fixed as I had requested and they said that I had to have all repairs, cleaning and adjustment done according to JVC. I told them to return my camera and wanted my $32 back, since I was not told of "the agreement Circuit City has with JVC" and I would not have left the Camera if I had been told. They would not refund the money. I also asked to speak to a manager and called the Corporate Offices. When I went to Circuit City to pick up the camera, the clerk said she had never heard of this agreement. In my opinion this is the same as stealing.

• Gr
    Graco Nov 30, 2009

I bought a high pricke laptop with a accidential warrenty plan. I I broughjt it to Circcuit City for minor reparis. a onth and ond half later I found someone dropped it and it was destroyed. The person who checked it in knew it w32as not damaged. City advantage offered me a computer for half the value and canceled my insureace as they said they replaced the computer. The problem was they destroyed it. Theyu made me pay.This willend up costin me $1500.00 as I had to get antoehr computer and a new warenty. Replacement means notihing. City advantage told me to read the fine print. It did not matter if I dropped it or they did. I lost all my programs, my data I had backed up. I lost one month and a half of use and they do not even seem to feel bad about it. City Advantage said customer care was none of their concern.. The manager of the store said, hey had no proff it was not damaaged, but they did not take pictures. I fond out that Tosheba wil give a warenty ontheir products and willcome to yor house ot fix it. I am canceliing allmy City Advantage warentys and going straight to the complanys to get warenties becasue they care.

hp g60 pc tablet

Circuit city/ advantage protection plan / hp
I'm attempting to use a warranty I brought, for a hp g60 tablet
Or have hp acknowledge some of us purchasers have similar issue about everyone outting lcd failure...

I called twice avantant today waited 20 minutes in a queue line each time and was disconected so now i'm online in a queue line that counted down from 10 for an additional 30 minutes now i've been next in line for 10 minutes to be told via gotoassit queue status that there are no representaives available, try again and again I did...

Incident/ work order # [protected] for ashleigh *

Called your plan # [protected] for repair of laptop accidental damage to screen on 7-21-09
Explained damage and cause to lap top, received work order from a ms. Venna-was authorized and sent out via radio shack as per her request.

The laptop was return today 8-10-09 with notice that service was denied due to physical damage to screen and told via radio shack to send it to hp for repair and pay out of pocket to have it fixed.
We are confused

We "my wife and myself", had been told at circuit city when purchased, "the plan was for just this reason", accidential damage.

We're confused as to why I was given a service authorization # and then be told by your service representative to send it out for repair, wait for service (2 weeks additional time), for it just to be denied and to have sent along a notice via the central service depot to call you back if there was any questions?

Is there a different phone number which I can call to vent or seek reimbursement

Question is why wasn't it fixed?

How do I get it fixed?

Do I have to seek some kind of resolution outside this contact, if so whom may I contact?

I finally got back through to the gotoassist phone after several days of holding each time and being disconnected...
They claim we didn't purchase accidential damage coverage...
Been around for awhile, know some stuff about computer issues
Like I can get virus protection if I want to pay for it for $30., but why when it's included with my comcast subscription...
Reformat my drive, reinstall my windows
Go out get all my updates free through ms
Basically do anything as long as it doesn't void my warranty...
Hmmm so I wrote to mr chesse, the big chaunna mr advantant himself

So I wrote avantant whom hold circuit city advantage plans

Your honorable mr pollock,
I'm writing you regarding incident# [protected], a request in helping our daughter seek repairs for a tablet pc, she had purchased, which included an extended warranty through circuit city's advantage plan.
My wife and I purchased this tablet pc warranty as a xmas gift on 11-08 for the simple fact it was sold to us, through them, (circuit city), as a preventative measure incase something would break, as what is being called a plus plan, that is why we bought it.
We were told it was, was charged $169.00 for this assurance and when we attempted to use as such on 07/21/09
Were given authorization to return the unit for repair via assurant phone gotoassist line person, only to be denied service through the repair depot as customer damage, then the tablet was returned back to us.
I have been concerned regarding this issue after reading several post found on the internet about others issues in deal or attempting to deal with circuit city repairs.http://blogs.courant.com/george_gombossy/2009/01/circuit-city-warranties-backed.html
I am hoping for your assistance in remedying this issue for her.

Sincerely
Randy *
Nashua nh, 03062
Now I wait for them hopefully to respond..

Went online to hp, because I felt under normal use the screen shouldn't have cracked where it did...
Not like i'm trying to get someone to pay for this if I broke it on purpose, but advantant should cover it under their agreement, but i'm attempting to understand how opening closing unit cause fatigue cracks, aint like we threw it dropped it hit, if you can see the pics i'm trying to send there is no damaged to case, even at point where crack occured
I've gone thru several blog sites and have notice similar complaints from other users...

Hp _ Circuitcity_ Avantant
  • Wa
    Watchworks Aug 26, 2009

A number of other people (me included) have had the same issue with their HP G60 cracking without any duress/accident. You can read about it at the link http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=51&threadid=2292811&FTVAR_STKEYWORDFRM=&STARTPAGE=3&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear.

One person filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and HP has paid for his repair. If this doesn't work for you, there are detailed instructions on replacing the screen yourself for around $150, much less than the $400+ that HP charges.

If you need additional details, send me a mail through my site (http://sites.google.com/site/paulkerncentral/home/contact-us) and I will get right back to you. I'd also be interested in knowing how things work out for you.

Paul Kern

Al K Sep 07, 2009

I think its the repair center causing issues, my laptop crapped out and they, the service center refused to repair due to "physical damage" being someone messed up plastic around a screw hole and a 1/8" plastic broke off near one of my Ram housing cover.

I have spent over 4 hrs on the phone with different people at the warranty company number all of which cannot understand why the claim was denied.

I have escalated my case, I suggest you do the same, write a letter to

Assurant Solutions Resolution Team
    POX BOX 105689
    Atlanta, GA 30348

The repair center took 3 pictures of the unit and sent them to assurant.
    This is the physical damage for which the repair center cannot honor my warranty.

Al K Sep 07, 2009

attempt to upload photo

• Cu
    cuseguy Sep 20, 2009

I feel your pain folks. I am trying to get a group together that could force HP to eventually do something about this. I started a petition, please sign it!

lack of action / pass the buck

This company acquired/assumed the Circuit City Advantage Protection Plans for electronics purchased from...

The Warranty Group / Circuit City Advantage Plan

finance charges

1. Bought 2 TVs from Circuit City, got 24 month interest free deal. Received first bill late, as a result...

honor warranty/city assure,

i purchased lap top from circuit city, purchased 4 year extra coverage, now circuit city is out of business city assure does not want to take care of problems. i paid 549.99 for coverage. problems fan, lap top over heat and fan makes a lot of noise, battery will not hold charge, also screen fads in and out of bright ness . my ticket #[protected]. called and spoke to city assure and got run around. i feel all the problems with lap top it should be replaced. toshiba satellite a105s4334. please advise next step.

bruce kozlin

• Mi
    Michelle Apr 06, 2009

I need to know how I can reinstate my lepsed advantage protection plan on my camcorder brand pan model pvgs9 thanks Michelle Lovely.

• Mi
    Michelle Apr 06, 2009

My advantage protection plan lapsed. I would like to know if I could get it reinstated and where I could take the camcorder to get it fixed?

Al K Sep 29, 2009

Bruce, check your terms and conditions, I bought my computer in 2008 and my basic coverage covered a ONE time battery replacement and a ONE time screen replacement. Assurant Solutions took over the service plans for electronics purchased after 2006.

1-800-555-4615.

im suprised you paid 549 $ for coverage, seems awfully high, what did you get? The accidental damage plan??

If you still feel you are not getting help, speak to managers, if they dont help you can always contact the better business burea or even state attorney general, but attempts to repair must first be made. Gather up all your reciepts, statements and whatever has proof of your purchases.

they charged me 672.00 fee

I received yesterday my credit card statement on a Chase account that I had recd for no interest 36 months. I paid faithfully each month via electronic payments and thought the account was paid in full in Dec 2008. To my utter shock and surprise I received a notice saying that they had charged by account a 672. fee for not paying off the balance of $28.00, which did not appear in my calculations.

All of this taking place while I am still in the promotional period, the full balance isn't due until April 2009.

Do not use this Bank for anything. They have placed this under investigation. I am reporting this practice to the appropriate authorities. This is just another outrage of our lending institutions, as consumers we must stand up against this madness.

anita Apr 13, 2009

Chase has done the same to us. Charged over $400.00 in financing charges during the promotional period -- and, there is no recourse for the customer. We disagreed with the statement, and financing charges based on the language in the Circuit City contract. The letter we received from Chase didn't answer the questions in the letter, just merely stated that the original terms of the contract had been breached, therefore, they could add on the charges. I would like more investigation into this whole mess, but I see no real venue for getting an honest accounting of their (Chase) practices. I have read numerous accounts of other customers in the same situation. Please let me know what appropriate authorities I can take this up with to get an honest third party investigation.

anita

fail to fix electronics under warranty

I have a Denon Home Theatre System that no longer will read a DVD or CD. I had purchased a warranty through Circuit City. Since the liquidation, the underwriters, "City Assure" have taken over honoring the warranty. However, since January 20, 2009, and after hours of being on hold, numerous conversations with customer service employees and their supervisors, City Assure has no process to handle my warranty. In the mean time, I have had to purchase a DVD player, (additional expense) due to City Assure not assuring me of when and how I will be able to get it repaired. The warranty specfically states that if they can't repair it, they will replace it. I haven't seen that or has it even been suggested.

Signed: Very diasppointing customer.

P.S. Next time I purchase an extended warranty, I will make sure the under writers are NOT City Assure.

• Sh
    shay Mar 10, 2009

I agree. I'm in a similar situation. I sent in my iPod a few days before Circuit city decided to liquidate in January. Therefore it was shipped to a repair shop that no longer existed. I was unable to get any answers about my iPod for 2 months. I called city assure and they were rude and told me they could not help me and didn't have any info on how to locate it. After months of calling random numbers just to be redirected to back city assure finally I connected with someone there who could actually help me. My iPod was destroyed or "salvaged" upon reaching its destination instead of sending it back to me, as I was told by city assure. City assure obtained my warranty info and now they are supposed to pay me for the original price of the ipod. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...hopefully I receive the check soon.

• Bc
    Bcounted Feb 12, 2010

City Assure a warranty or insurance provider that has taken over Circuit City extended warranties has failed to insure my laptop is correctly repaired. I have had my laptop sent to Central Depot 3 times now and in need of a 4th for the same problem. Called City Assure for the 4th repair the first representative (Nathan) stated he would expedite my claim under the lemon law ticket # 15513977 and if I have not heard anything in the next few days to call back and request an “EIS” whatever that is. I called back and got a new representative (David) on the phone. David was clearly having a bad day perhaps more so then me. After we clashed I requested supervisor I was told I could not speak to one until after I (David) finished explaining their policy on lemon law. I demanded a supervisor and was placed on hold about 10 min. later David came back on the line and stated his team leader said a supervisor would not be available for at least 4 hours and he needed to take my info and someone would call me back (as if they did not already have my info) How sad in today’s world companies like this are not more accountable. I will never buy another extended warranty carried by City Assure or it’s subsidiaries. And now I hear City Assure may have something to do with Radio Shack or THE SHACK. God I hope not.

• Mg
    mgdrouin Sep 04, 2010

City Assure has hired an outside depot for repairs and the shack won contract to track and send material out to them. The depot sucks. My laptop has been "repaired" by them 3 times so they say. Once it came back and they forgot to plug the mother board back in so I had nothing when I turned it on. Wonder how that one passed test? I'm going thru the same lemon law garbage as you right now. Now they are telling me that they have the right to give me a refurbished laptop if they so choose. I'll never purchase an extended warranty again, EVER!

• Pi
    pissedhpowner Jan 06, 2011

Just had my laptop in there for repairs, they originally said it would take 10 days and it instead took over 20, then I finally got it back today, with a giant scratch on the screen, dust covers missing that cover the screws, sound card no longer functioning, scratches all over the lid, and the hinges are extremely loose, along with many other new problems including now having a poor version of Windows Vista on it, and it literally has 99 updates ready to install that it keeps saying failed to install every time I try making it. one of the arrow keys are even bent. At this point I am guessing they gave me a reman with out informing me first, and if that's true I might not mind getting in on a class action lawsuit if someone has one started! This 3yr old higher end laptop looked brand newwhen I dropped it off, now I'm embarrassed to say it's mine..

• Su
    sunshine237 Jan 19, 2011

I had a horrible experience with customer service today. Customer service person was asking me for model number and apparently there are two on my machine. I gave him one (dv6500) which I have always used, but he kept saying it was a S/N. I know for sure what a S/N is. I then gave him another number (dv6626) which was hidden in the tag. Once I did that he said 'why didn't you give me the number before? Why did you keep giving me S/N? I told you to look carefully. Why didn't you check carefully?' huhhh? I was appalled to hear that and I asked him for his id. He hung up on me. I called again and the same guy picked up, I asked for his id on which he hung up again. I have never had such an awful customer service before.

rebate scam

I purchased a HP Vista home computer on thur Nov 26, from Circuit City in Myrtle Beach It was a promo sale...

why you shouldn't buy anything from liquidation

Why Circuit City Went Out Of Business And Why You Should Not Buy Anything From Their Liquidation. Toward the...

fraud and scam

Almost 3 years ago, I purchased a Toshiba laptop from Circuit City. I also purchased a 4 year extended warranty. Immediately, I began experiencing problems with the laptop overheating and shutting down. I called the warranty company and began the arduous process of getting the laptop fixed under warranty. I waited for the box to arrive, shipped the laptop back and waited for it to be returned in about 1-2 weeks. When I received the Toshiba laptop back, the only service that had been done was cleaning and greasing the fan. Additionally, my battery wasn't holding a charge, so I had to call a separate warranty company and send in my defective battery and wait for a new one to arrive. A few weeks later, my screen went dead. Once again, called the warranty company, sent in the laptop and received it back with a the screen fixed. The overheating problem and battery problems continued for 1+ years. You just get worn down after awhile. I kept calling, sending it in, etc. Once, they even broke my AC adapter and I had to go through another warranty company to get a new AC adapter. Had to send theold one in, thus, not having a working laptop, while I waited for a new AC adapter. Finally, they replaced the hard drive on one of the service calls. Since they replaced the hard drive, the system has not performed as well. City Assure refused to replace the computer due to the fact that the overheating issue was 'resolved' according to their testers. The bottom line is this, don't buy from Circuit City and don't buy Toshiba and don't buy the extended warranty. We had to replace the computer with a new one. It takes time to call and go through the 'warranty process'. It also requires that you are without your laptop for quite some time. This laptop was shipped back and forth at least 7 times. That is also not good for a laptop. I guess I learned my lesson the hard way.

• Valerie Jun 26, 2008

I wanted to purchase a laptop from circuit city, and did NOT want their 300 dollar extended warranty plan. The associate tried to explain to me in stilted, poorly-rehearsed words that I would have to buy the plan if the computer malfunctioned, despite it still being under the manufacturer's warranty. Every time I caught him in a lie, he moved on to another matter. Finally, he told me I could not be given a recovery disk unless I bought the plan.

I called bullc**p. A system recovery disk should come with every operating system straight from the manufacturer. He told me that Toshiba no longer does this, and that I would be REQUIRED to buy the plan if I wanted one. I told him I could simply contact the company to receive one if that was the case, and he said they didn't do that anymore.

I refused anyhow, and upon arriving home, opened the box which still had a factory seal. The recovery disk was inside it, just like I knew it'd be. When I called the store to complain and to ask why the employees were coached to tell unwitting customers that they 'can't fix a laptop without the recovery disk, and must buy the plan to get it, ' he did not refute anything, nor did he apologize. He said he would 'talk to the guy' and that was it.

My emails have gone unanswered, and no one at circuit city is interested in the issue. I drove past a best Buy to shop there, and it is insane that with the economy on a downward spiral, circuit city would try to wrangle extra money from already expensive purchases.

• To
    Tom Sep 16, 2008

I bought a laptom at the york, pa store and they did the same to me and more. They overcharged me for all the sale items since I was getting a new laptop at a discount. They charged my cc for double the price of the printer and I only found out after I revewed the bill. They threatened to charge me a restocking fee to immediately return the items.

• Valerie Sep 29, 2008

We purchased a gps and was told if we had any trouble with it to return it to any curcuit city and they would exchange it, the salesman said sometimes the speakers went bad, we expected to get it exchanged only to be told that was not the case. the speakers stopped working at 2 weeks! We were also told the extended warranty we purchased was good for 4years. that was a lie to. they told us once you use your extended warranty it was no longer good! I feel we were taken advantage of and circuit city should done as they had promised and replaced our gps with another one. We will not shop circuit city in the future!

• Do
    don Oct 13, 2008

I purchased a TV from Cuircit City and financed it on a Chase card.I missed one payment on the card and the interest rate went up to 194% percent.

Anthony Jun 27, 2009

2 years ago, my husband and I bought a 26" Polaroid LCD HDTV from Circuit City for $1399.99. Having worked for some of their competitors, I was a believer in the extended repair or replace warranties, so we bought the 3 year Circuit City Advantage Protection plan for around $300.00. We felt like a repair or replace guarantee was a good investment because we aren't rich and we wanted to make sure we had a back up should the T.V. fail in the first 3 years of ownership. Fast forward to December 2007, and we start having problems with the t.v., it would make this horrible popping noise when you would turn it on and the start-up Polaroid logo would flash in and out. It was quite ironic, since the week it went we had received our renewal to remind us that our warranty was expiring in May 2008 and to give us the option to renew for another 1-3 years. Well, I called up the Advantage line to get my repair claim started, and also clarifying with the woman that we would have the T.V. replaced in a timely manner if it couldn't be fixed and that it was going to be fixed in a timely manner and she said oh, yes, absolutely, we'll have your t.v. taken care of in about a week. We called them right before Christmas, so the soonest they could get the repair guy, of course due to the holidays was Dec. 31st, which wasn't a problems since we were going to be out of town.

On Dec. 31st the repair guy shows up during the alloted window they said they'd be there to look at the T.V. He informs us after watching the behavior of the television, that it was the power supply going out and that they were going to have to order it, and so since we still had some functionality to our, T.V. (Only one we own) he would leave it and come pick it up once he found out if he was going to be able to get the part. He also informed us, that rarely were they able to get the parts for Polaroid, so then, most likey to expect the T.V. to be replaced.
    2 days later, the T.V. won't turn on at all. Now we have NO T.V. So I call up the T.V. contracting company that was going to be fixing the T.V. and they come and pick it up the next day. Now, since it is the weekend of BCS championship, in Baton Rouge, we were told to wait and call for an update on the T.V. the day after the game. So on January 8th, I call the repair shop to find out the status of the repair, and I am informed by the repair shop that the part is on back order and it will be 10-14 days before they get it! Now at this time hearing that news, I'm not happy at all, he tells me that he will call me back later that day with an update. Well, later that day he calls up with a correction, (Just like the guy who picked up the t.v. originally told us) the part is unavailable, and there is no compatible aftermarket part available that would work with Polaroid and that they have notified the Circuit City warranty people. So I call Circuit City Advantage and I'm informed that they can't authorize a replacement, and they direct me to Consumer Relations. Well the first girl I talk to says, that she cannot Authorize a replacement until they first refer it to their "TECHNICAL" department because they have to try and get the part first for the repair company. Then ask, "Well, how on earth do you think that you can get the part if the repair company can get the part? Just replace my t.v. and be done with it! It's been 2 weeks since the T.V. quit working properly, and I want a functioning T.V.! She tells me there is nothing she can do until their technical department looks into it and to call back the next day.

So I call back the next day and I get this jerk of a guy who answers and I give all my information AGAIN to him and explain what is going on. He proceeds to tell me that they are going to proceed with the repair and that they were going to obtain the part and that they were not going to issue a replacement. I told the guy that this was our only T.V., we spent $1300 on it, and that I could get a bigger, better T.V. for less today, and what on earth was the problem with replacing it since they cost less today, than 2 years earlier! Well he then offers me a $100 rental reimbursment, so that we can go "RENT" a T.V. for a few weeks, while we wait on the part and the repair. That really angered me, because 1, renting a T.V. would be more than any $100, and 2 we'd have to pay out of pocket and then mail the invoice to them, and then it would be 6-8 weeks before we actually saw any reimbursement. I told the guy, absolutely not, I want my T.V. replaced, the part is unavailable. He said he was not going to authorize the replacement. I then demanded to speak to his supervisor, he coldly says, "I am the supervisor, there is no one higher than me to speak to." I said, you have to have a boss, you aren't the owner of the company, and he again repeats the same line! (I later found online, someone else who had issues with this plan, got fed the same line I did!) I hang up the phone infuriated, that was on Wednesday, January 9th.

Well then on Thursday, January 10th, we come home to find a "Sorry We Missed You! Please call us!" flyer on our door from the T.V. service company, it was too late to call them that evening, so I called them on Friday, January 11th, they inform me that they were trying to return my T.V. Well that left me and my husband with the impression that our T.V. had been fixed and they arranged to drop it off with me for today (Saturday Jan. 12th).

Well this morning when they delivered the T.V., the gentleman who brings it back inform us that they did not repair the t.v. and that the power supply is no longer made by Polaroid and that we need to get it replaced. So we load the T.V. up in the car and head to our local Circuit City to get a replacement T.V. (or so we thought.)
    We get to the store, and I'm getting angrier by the minute, because as we loaded the T.V. in the car, my husband noticed that the control buttons (like the power and volume) on the side of the unit are not there, just the holes where they had been, and that screws are missing (yeah, we know the t.v. is broken, but still, return it in the condition you took it in, is the principle there). We get to the store and ask to speak to the manager, well we are informed that the store manager isn't in and that we need to speak with the T.V. Sales Supervisor. So we go over and wait for about 15 mintues because the store was very busy. Well, we finally get the supervisor, and explain to him what is going on, and that we want our T.V. replaced. He asks us if we have a claim number from Corporate, I informed him that calling today did us no good because we got no where, and that they were telling us one thing and the repair people were telling us somehting else and that we are fed up, the T.V. hasn't been working properly now for a month and we want it replaced, like it said "No Hassle repair or replacement." He then goes to the back and disappears for a long time and then comes back and gives me the same phone number I already have, where the jerk told me there was no one higher than him to speak too. The supervisor says he "understands" my frustration but he has to have a claim number from the warranty people to replace it with the T.V. the warranty people pick out. That really got me, and I said, wait what, you mean they are going to tell me what T.V. to get, No, I want a T.V. that cost the same price that we paid 2 years ago, that's equal value! He said, well he can't do anything because he needs the claim number, by this point, I'm getting louder and louder and saying that this has turned out to be the largest ripoff, and the biggest hassle, and he kept say, you'll have to call them, and this takes time. By that point I'm so angry, I tell him that we will NEVER buy anything from their company ever again, and that we were going to get online and post this experience everywhere we could and tell everyone about what a scam and HASSLE, this NO HASSLE warranty turned out to be. Then as I was walking away, there was an older couple look at a T.V. and I loudly said to them, "Don't let them talk you into their Advantage Protection Plan on a T.V. if you buy one here, it's a ripoff and we're now a month without a working T.V. and we still haven't gotten this resolved!" The older gentleman's eyes got really wide and said, "Are you serious?" And I said "Yes!" and stormed out of the storm.
    So Monday I'll be calling these jerks demanding my claim number and the right for $1399.99 value on a replacement at Circuit City and I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN.

THEIR EXTENDED WARRANTY IS A BIG FRAUD AND SCAM!!

• Be
    Beth in Florida Apr 14, 2010

I wished all of the Toshiba complaints would be put together in one place and add other categories like the store it was purchased at. There seems to be quite a few Toshiba issues on this site. I have a Toshiba Satellite A75-S213 that I purchased back in July of 2005. I gave about $1, 400 for the computer and bought an extended warranty plan. I hardly used the computer for the first few years. Last year when my desk top computer which was extremely old gave started giving me problems, I decided to use my lap top all of the time. When the usage time increased the problems started happening. My computer would shut down while I would do simple things like typing a letter, sending an email, watching news clips on line. It would jump around on the screen. Other times, the fan would increase noise and activity and my computer would shut down at random. If you search these problems online, you will notice that a class action lawsuit was supposedly filed for the same things. Unfortunately, I did not know anything about the class action lawsuit and was never notified. I also did not use my computer much in the beginning and my extended warranty did not help me because I was not using the lap top that much to notice any problems. I had purchased 2 HP laptops at that time which were cheaper and used more often for the people I bought them for. Their laptops are going strong. I suggested do not buy TOSHIBA products. I have been contacting Toshiba for weeks now and they did not mention any of the problems I complained about as being common place or that there had been issues with a class action lawsuit to settle issues with consumers.

If you have any suggestions or know of anything else I might have missed please post.

bad business practices

On 11/30/08 on-line I purchased a Gateway lap from Circuit City, or from what I am now calling CROOKED CITY. I was specifically told on-line the product was in stock. I was also guaranteed that I would receive my order on 12/3/08. On 12/2/08 @ 5:00 am PST I got on-line to check the status of my order. To my surprise my order had been cancelled. I immediately called the customer service number to find out what was going on. They informed me that it was cancelled due to the fact that the item was not in stock. I explained to the rep that I was led to believe the item was in stock and was guaranteed it would be here on 12/3/08. She told me there's nothing I can do. I press the issue and ask to speak to her supervisor. She told me there wasn't one available but she could give me a claim number and I could call back later and speak to some one of at a higher level. I say ok and hang up. On 12/2/08 @ 11:08 am PST I call the customer service line again. I explain AGAIN what happened. This rep told me your order is not cancelled and will be there on 12/3/08 as promised. I say great, thank you and hang up. On a hunch I decide to check my order status on-line. I look it up and it still says cancelled. I figured it wasn't updated yet so I decide to call the customer service line again. I check my order that way. It still says cancelled. I finally get to talk to another rep. I explain everything AGAIN. She told me sorry your order is cancelled there's nothing I can do. I ask for a supervisor. I talk to him for about a half an hour. The end result is he said there was a mistake, I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do bye. What has happened to customer service? They honestly believe one person doesn't matter! I work for a major utility in San Diego, Ca. I am a member of local IBEW 465. I have access to a lot of people and I will make sure they all hear this story and I will ask them to please not shop at CROOKED CITY!

• Valerie Jun 03, 2016

Business closing / Fire sale - It seems that Circuit City of Fremont California is trying to pull a fast one over on the consumers of the Bay Area. It was announced that there would be a "Fire Sale" at this location due to the store closing it's doors. But most items were only marked down 10%. And then I was witness to a pre-markup, the Pioneer (AVHP4000DVD) car stereo, which sells most every where for $400.00 was marked up to $500.00 then reduced to $400.00. Not much of a savings if I could get it somewhere else for less than $400.00 and still have a store to return to if something went wrong. I am sorely disappointed in Circiut City and their sales practices. but what should I expect from a store that will no longer be accountable?

• Valerie Jun 03, 2016

Last Christmas 07 I purchased a 65" TV from Circut City, along with the purchase of this TV I received a FREE Playstation 3. I open a rewards CC and was told with my purchase all items would be intrest FREE for 1 year. (3) months later I started getting billed for the FREE playstation 3. I called customer service, they sent me back to store. Manager(Eddie) said I would need to pay the balance off for the FREE playstation 3, so I pd 700.00 to cover all items less TV. The next month I recieved another bill with intrest, went back to store manager said I would need to contact customer service I did so, they sent me back to store, talk with manager Eddie again C.S. said the promotion was keyed in incorrectly and a store manager could correct this problem. Eddie suggested I pay another 300.00 so I did. Please note for the last three months I have received lates fees for interest FREE for one year and paid 1k. On the same day Eddie called Chase CC CS, spoke to Chase CS rep. I and the CS rep and I went over what I was told by store manager to pay off out standing balance to get intrest FREE for one year. Chase CS rep said that Chase has a contract with Circut City to apply all monies toward the origional promotion, before applying any monies towards other purchases. I called customer service to go over details, they finally started a case # 2306904 and sent me back to the store. C.S. gave me Store Director, Steven Sterijeski name and number, which turn out to be the stores number. I went back to the store after receiving 3rd statement with accrued interest of on interest FREE purchase and the APR went from 14.49% to 186.27% on a intrest FREE for one year CC and have paid 1K toward other purchases (please note I have a credit score of 754) not some slacker, just want to point out a FRAUDULENT SCHEME I spoke with Operation Mngr. Eric. Eric was very aware of this issue. I ask Eric how could anyone possibly get a interest FREE for one year rewards card and recieve a FREE playstation 3 that was charged to my CC and the price for the TV was adjusted to pay for the FREE playstation 3 and paid 1k for other purchases made during Christmas as of which monies only go to the original promotion item. Eric stated that in order to have interest FREE for one year for the TV, I would have needed to return the FREE playstation 3 for a store credit, Eric stated all of the information is on my sale receipt. Note CS said the purchase was coded incorrectly by store! I told Eric this was such a scam, when one at Christmas comes in to the store to purchase a TV and a sales pitch of " Do you have children? Yes. If you purchase one of these 4 TV's you'll recieve a FREE playstation 3 and if you would like to open a Circut City Rewards card, you can also receive intrest FREE for one year, what a deal!!! OH by the way Store Director Steven Sterijeski has never called me back after numerous calls to the store requesting a return call. I dont know Steven has been notified, last spoke with OP Mngr Eric on 10/06, Eric stated after 9-10 months later there is nothing that can be done, I replied to Eric I have been in your store on 4 different occaions and/or for the last 4 months to correct this problem, Eric stated, "I dont know what to tell you, I said please have Steven give me a call and that I understand this is above your head and thanks for your support. I will be paying off this FRAUDULENT SCAM today and will never purchase another item from Circut City Inc.

• Valerie Jun 03, 2016

On 12/27/07, I returned a broken MP3 player my son received as a gift from his grandparents. A replacement was not in stock for Tallahassee, but at 5 different locations two to 4 hours away, all had them in stock. Replacement was Special Ordered as I was told it was not a common stock item.

(Wait a minute, grandparents walked into the store and purchased it, at least 4 other stores have them in stock, but it is NOT A COMMON STOCK ITEM???)

Ok so the replacement was Special Ordered and I waited for one week, with no response, so I went to the store. I asked if my replacement MP3 player had arrived.

Rep checked my receipt and said it had not arrived.

I asked, Do you know when it will arrive?

Rep said, No it is a special order. Maybe it is on our next truck.

I asked, Can you check if it is on your next truck?

Rep said, No we do not know is on the trucks and cannot check either, but you can come back when the truck arrives and we will know then.

Repeated the above 5 times. I call and emailed customer service. Response was all the same. At one point, customer service told me I had received the replacement MP3. This caused an extra trip to the store. (Now the 6th trip.)

Now I asked for refund.

Manager says, Ok we will give the refund and you can buy the MP3 player elsewhere. Oops never mind, this was a Special Order. We can give store credit or a gift card.

I said, I want this MP3 player, do you have it in stock?

Manager says, no it is not is stock.

I said, Well why would I want a store credit or a Gift Card. All I want is a working MP3 player. I told the manager that several other Circuit City Stores had the MP3 player in stock. Can we have one sent here

Manager says, No we cannot have one sent here but you drive and go get one.

(The nearest other store is 2.5 hours away)

Finally, the manager said he would issue a credit. I gave him the ORGINAL RECEIPT, and exchange receipt. He said, I need the credit card originally charged.

I said, Look up the receipt and issue the credit to that card. I already told you it was a gift on one of my first 5 visits.

Manager said, No card no credit, and since you started the exchange, in order to get a credit, your grandparents will need a copy of the exchange receipt.

Now my son is still waiting for an MP3 player that works.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices