Pizza Hut / hazard in my pizza!

I have an awareness that I believe you should know. Recently my family ordered out for our favorite pizza. It has been exactly one week ago Thursday. As my children and I were eating our dinner, my son says, “Moma what is this?” He pulled this clump form from his mouth. We took it to a brighter light so we could see what it was. It at first glance looked like a clump of rat hair. My heart stopped beating. I called my husband home from work to see this clump. My husband took this clump back to Pizza Hut, on Memorial Parkway, and asked could they make this out. Meanwhile I am calling the ER to find out what I should be doing with my children. My 7 year old had already ate her whole slice and my youngest child 2 ½ years old was eating hers. The ER told me to call poison control. I did. They took all the information down about my three children and advised me with general observations. They encouraged me if I found out what this clump was to call them back and they could give me specifics. By now I am very upset. All three of children have in part or in whole consumed this hazard...Whatever that might be? The police told us how to preserve the hazard and so we did. They also told us who we needed to talk to about this hazard. The next day we went down to the Public Health Department. They said, from what they see, it looked to be of fibrous material with hair in it. They suggested a piece of a mop. They furthered by saying that most moms would be concerned about Listeria. They also gave me phone numbers to call the vice president, Harold Rosignoli, and the Corporate Office in TX. Mr. Rosignoli’s office had already closed for the day. I called the Corporate Office from the parking lot of the Public Health Department. They connected me to a supervisor named Janet. She talked with me. She assured me that this was priority and this file would go right out. I called my children’s pediatrician to ask what was Listeria and what did I need to be looking for. They told me. I said ok. I decided to go back to the place that served my family this hazard. The night before the shift leader said that the store manger would be in the next day. They had all the information on her desk ready for her to see... receipt/contact information... even a piece of the hazard. I was under the impression that I would be getting a phone call. I had not received a phone call. This is why I went back to see if the store manager even knew what was going on. We sat down to talk. This conversation was really more of the same. Who I had talked with and who she has talked with. I took her outside to my truck to see the larger piece of hazard. She said, “I can see why you are upset.” She assured me that they run a clean kitchen. She said, “This must have come from corporate.” You see, Corporate sends them some of the dough that is used for the pizza. She said, “They felt sure they would have seen something like this.” Saturday and Sunday went by nothing! Monday, I called Mr. Rosignoli. He said he has just been looking over this file, and wanted me to know that my family was priority. He said he was calling the insurance company and he thought that this was the best thing for us to do. I am still under the impression that they are going to get right on this. I dismissed the weekend and said well ok, he now has this and they will get this tested. Wednesday is when the insurance company talked with me for the first time. She wanted to take a recording of what has happened. I agreed. I went through what took place on the 18th of January and told of the next day at Public Health Department. Then the tables turned. She immediately tried to make it seem that I haven’t done anything. She said if I had this huge concern for my children, I would have already got them tested. I told her of what I read about testing for Listeria. I read that one test, for accuracy they do is sticking a needle in your back to the bone. And I told her that the Public Health Department gave me a number to a lab to see if they even test for this... Listeria. I also told her that I have been listening to their advisement to talk with you... the insurance company. I told her that I have the sample and have had this for right at a week and logic says, instead of making all three of my children get tested in this graphic way, TEST THE MATERIAL... I have told that to EVERY Pizza Hut person I have talked with. From Friday, up until now...that has been my cry. She asked me right out, “what do you want us to do?” I said, ,”test the material locally so it wouldn’t take up to 2 months for the results like you are planning to do!” she said they had to do this all together. With this investigation they had to find out a lot of things. With the test they do it will be able to tell if this hazard was in the pan, in the box, on the counter, and such. They really need to know if this came from corporate or not. She said they get their dough from other places to...THEY WANT MY SLICE OF PIZZA THIS CAME ON... AND BY THE WAY... THIS WASN’T THE ONLY SLICE THIS HAZARD WAS ON!

I had called back poison control later Friday evening when I got home. I told what had happened today, and that I had a name for her. (It was the same lady had I talked with Thursday night) I didn’t think at the time while talking to my children’s pediatrician, to ask about a time frame Listeria. That is why I called them back. Poison Control told me incubation time could be 2 days to 3 weeks. Up to 3 weeks. I said oh my goodness. I have spent all night watching my children. All weekend watching for high fever, blood in diarrhea, and all the things that are general about a bacterial infection/virus. And I am still am doing that. I can’t find a lab that test for Listeria. The one lab that said they could send it off has tucked their coward tale and ran. I assume they don’t want to get involved. SHAME ON THEM. We are talking about my children and the PUBLICS children when it happens to yours.

I am thankful to report that my children seem at this time healthy. I am trying to find a lab that will test for Listeria. AND... I am consulting with our family Dr, to see what we need to do about testing our children. We just cannot do this for 3 weeks. This is why I write. The word hazard means: a biological, chemical, or a physical property that MAY CAUSE UNACCEPTABLE HEALTH RISK. This is the definition from Alabama Public Health Department. A code 1-102.10 from the Alabama Public Health Department says this: The purpose of this code is to safeguard public health and provide to the consumers food, that it safe, unadulterated, and honestly presented.

It is the responsibility of the serving establishment... PIZZA HUT to make sure that my food, the consumer’s food is safe, unadulterated and honestly presented. It doesn’t matter if the pizza dough came from corporate or not. IT’S ALL PIZZA HUT! AND THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE RESPONSIBILITY THAT THIS COMPANY HAS TO MY FAMILY. Not ONE person from Memorial Parkway Pizza Hut has called to see if my children were sick... or doing fine. The vice president only has called to let me know he has passed the buck... WHAT A GREAT REPRESENTIVE!... Not one person from the Corporate Office in TX. has called to see if we have spent all night in the ER with all three of my children because of this hazard that was served to us from this establishment. Now the insurance company has made me feel like I have done nothing right with their poor intimidation skills and that this event isn’t a big deal. Plus they would prefer finding out if the hazard was in a pan or in a box (this investigation takes up to 2 months) verses in the immediate, making sure it doesn’t host Listeria or any other Bacterial Infestation that has the potential to harm my children. Furthermore they find the urgent need for procedure now... when if procedure had been followed from the beginning... code 1-102.10... my three children would not have consumed in part or in whole what appears to be, mop stands that is wrapped with hair.
My children have been put in harm’s way because of a hazard because Pizza Hut failed to be responsible to the Public.
Sure the local Health Department has already paid them a visit... sure I have called the State Health Officer. They also said they would be doing even more visits to this particular facility. I appreciate the efforts of both local and state. However, checking the procedures and frequents visits doesn’t excuse them from the responsibility they have for what has happened. All we have asked for is an immediate test of the material. I kept telling myself that surely Pizza Hut would be on board with us in acting in the best interest of our children. We were searching for a piece of mind. They offered nothing but, ”I am sorry.” THEY HAVE BEEN NEGLECTFUL IN PROCEDURE AND IN CONCERN FOR MY FAMILY. That is unacceptable.
Why have codes. What is the conscience for being neglectful? Oh I think I know a few points are deducted. Meanwhile people like us THE PUBLIC are brushed off. We have to fit in THEIR time frame (because every time you call or visit the office beyond the first time, EVERYBODY IS IN A MEETING). We have to follow the “unfortunate procedure” (THIS IS WHAT THE VICE PRESIDENT FROM PIZZA HUT CALLED IT) they have laid out for the run around in order to cover their investments. BASICALLY, PIZZA HUT HAS LET ME KNOW THROUGH THEIR EMPTY PRIORITY, THAT MY CHILDREN WERE NOT WORTH THE INVESTMENT. PIZZA HUT WOULD RATHER KEEP THEIR MONEY AND GAMBLE WITH MY CHILDREN’S WELL BEING. They expect my family AND the public to become a hushed unfortunate event and this corporate company is laughing all the way to the bank because they squeaked by this time without it getting out. “Nobody knows” SO families still support and get severed by this company.

MY FAMILY WILL NOT SIT BY AND MAKE THIS MISTAKE. THE PUBLIC HAS THE RIGHT TO KNOW WHAT REALLY GOES ON BEHIND CLOSED DOORS AND HOW PIZZA HUT HAS SHOVED MY FAMILY ASIDE FOR THE GAIN OF THEIR OWN. I, THE PUBLIC, HAVE SAT QUITE LONG ENOUGH. MY FAMILY LISTENED TO YOUR DECIETFULL LIE THAT MY CHILDREN WAS YOUR PRIORITY. WE HAVE DONE IT YOUR WAY ONLY FOR YOU TO TURN AND COUNT US VOID. NO LONGER WILL MY FAMILY PAY AUDIENCE TO YOUR FAILING SYSTEM. WE BELIEVE THAT WE HAVE GIVEN YOU AMPLE TIME TO CONSIDER OUR FAMILY. ON TOP OF THE PROBLEM OF FINDING THIS HAZARD IN OUR FOOD, THE PROBLEM WE ADDED TO THIS IS BELIEVING YOU WOULD DO THE RIGHT THING. WE ARE YOUR BUSINESS. WITHOUT US…THE PUBLIC... YOU WOULD NOT EXIST. WE EXPECT RESPONSIBLE PREPARATION, RESPONSIBLE COOKING, RESPONSIBLE SERVICE AND A RESPONSIBLE CONCLUSION WHEN OUR FAMILY HAS BEEN EFFECTED BY CARELESSNESS. THIS ISN’T AN OPTION. IF WE... THE PUBLIC... PUT OUR TRUST IN YOU TO SERVE OUR FAMILIES THE STANDARD YOU NOW ARISE TO IS “GREAT.” NOT...” NO BIG DEAL.” YOU SHOULD BE GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND THE CALL OF DUTY BECAUSE WE ARE PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU AND WE ALSO HAVE VALUE. IN CASE THE OWNERS OF PIZZA HUT... CHRISTY & CHRISTY INC., THE VICE PRESIDENT OF PIZZA HUT, THE CORPORATE OFFICES OF PIZZA HUT AND PIZZA HUT LOCATION ON SOUTH MEMORIAL PARKWAY, IN HUNTSVILLE HAS FORGOTTEN... WE... ARE... THE... PEOPLE!
Thanks for listening!

• EXTRACTIONS TOOK FROM PIZZA HUT’S WEBSITE. OMG... SOMETHING ABOUT THIS DOESN’T ADD UP. THEY SAY THIS IS THEIR CORE, AT THE CENTER OF WHAT THEY DO, BUT I GUESS THEY JUST WANT IT TO SOUND GOOD?

At Pizza Hut, our culture reflects our values. This includes a shared vision of who we are and where we're headed. And it encompasses everything from the way we treat our customers to how we deal with our competitors.
One of the most important values within the Pizza Hut culture is integrity. Our people are committed to providing uncompromising quality and to providing service that is personal. In fact, our people strive each day to provide what we call “customer mania.” We want to give the kind of service that will make our customers tell stories to their family and friends about Pizza Hut.

During the past four decades we've built a reputation for excellence that has earned us the respect of consumers and industry experts alike. Building a leading pizza company has required relentless innovation, commitment to quality and dedication to customer service and value. The qualities of entrepreneurship, growth and leadership have characterized our business through more than four decades of success. Through the strength of our heritage, our culture, our people and franchisees, we look forward to even more success in the decades ahead.

Comments

• Bo
      26th of Feb, 2008

Unfortunately crap gets by the inspections and into the food sometimes. The insurance company doesn't want to pay, so they find all possible excuses not to. Pizza Hut has clammed up to limit their financial liability should you sue. Any statement they make could be construed as acceptance of blame. Don't blame Pizza Hut, blame their lawyers, the insurance company's lawyers and in turn the liberal judicial system that allows litigation to ruin companies. No one wants to talk to you more than the initial contact, which has been made, becouse they would be risking their career. It's "unfortunate proceedure" becouse otherwise, they get sued, loose and that's all for them. All of this makes folks in your situation more likely to sue. Like it or not, that's the world you are bringing your kids up in.

• Sh
      2nd of Apr, 2008

I'm an employee at pizza hut in the northern section of philadelphia, I've been working at pizza hut for about 2 years now I jus t need to lay out some ground rules about customers.First off do not give us hard working employee a hard time just because someone had pissed you off that same day and you want to take it out on the people who is trying to make sure that your food is perfessionally cooked. second, if you call to order for delivery and a CSR team member explains that delivery time is 1 hr and 30 mins do not keep calling asking where is your food at and that your hungry because for all that you mines as well came to pick it up it will be much faster. Third, all pizza hut restaurants do different procedures so do not compare pizza hut with other food companies and other pizza hut in different area.Also, the coupon situation not all coupons be in the system for us to deduct the price so don't give us a hard time about a damn coupon that you supposely had gotten from us that you found 2 months ago that have been expired.Therefore, I'm saying this because you are very rude and I don't blame if some CSR team members give you some lip because don't take your anger out on us because of a mistake of a delivery driver or another team member. The job of a CSR is to take costumers order not to hear you complaint take that to the mangers. And just for the record ex cheese is not a TOPPING even with th coupon it's still additional charge. I hope that you will respect my little info of how disrespectful of some of you customers are.