Direct TV / hd receiver doesn't work

A year ago today I had Direct TV install an HD Receiver. Since then, the receiver has continually "frozen" and I have repeatedly called customer service. (And endured hours on hold) After the fourth or fifth time the customer service reps had led me through the process to try to reboot, one rep finally scheduled a technician to come out and check the receiver. Of course, I had to wait two weeks for the tech. The tech diagnosed the grounding equipment on my house to be jamming the HD signal, and cut the wires to the grounding equipment. To my surprise, I was billed over $80.00 for the service call, even though the technician had determined the problem to be related to the installation--after all, the grounding equipment was in plain sight when the dish was installed. I wrote Direct TV twice and received form letters in return--from someone who hadn't even read my letters, it seemed. I paid the bill, but continued to have problems with the receiver freezing the picture. Today, exactly one year later to the day, the receiver stopped working altogether. The customer service rep for Direct TV was rude, and said the earliest they could send a tech is in two weeks. I asked to be let out of my contract early, and he said no one at Direct TV has the authority to allow that. He said it would be $240.00 to be allowed out of the contract. He acted as if I was whining and had no valid complaint. Please--NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH DIRECT TV. We've been customers since 1997, and they have no loyalty to us, offer us no help. They are not an honorable business.

Pa

Comments

• Tv
      12th of Feb, 2013

I just had our DVR go out after a year and they said we are responsible for shipping cost to send out a new receiver. The only way they cover all the cost of the exchange is if we had bought they're protection plan for 6.95 a month. That is in addition to the 170 we already pay. First year was 59.00 big jump to 170. I stated that they charge me 10 a month to rent the equipment I shouldn't have to pay for their defective equipment. I ask about cancelling and was told that they would charge my account for the remaining months. of the 2 year agreement. Tehy have you by the balls coming and going.