Having problems with DirecTV?

+1 800 531 5000 (Customer Service)
2230 E Imperial Hwy
Fri8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sat8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sun8:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Complaints & Reviews

Direct TV — lies lies lies!

This company is the biggest bunch of liars I have ever worked with. June 21, 2007 I signed up for DirecTV...

Direct TV — refuse to send return labels

We are active military, came down on orders, had to move, canceled direct tv, we now have to return the...

Direct TVharassing collections calls to non-customer

In June 2006, I was assigned a corporate cell phone number that previously was assigned to Jessica last name unknown that did not pay her Direct TV bill. I have received numerous dunning calls since July. Every 4-6 weeks I receive a new collection call. When I receive these calls; I call their collection department, speak with a supervisor and am assured they will take my number out of this account and out of the computer generated call system. 4-6 weeks later I receive the same call and the same response. They will not share the Jessica's last name or account number so I cannot report them to the FTC or to the state agency. It is now 7/2/07 and I just received another call from their collection department. This is a horrible company that not only treats their customers badly but also people who are not even customers yet. I will NEVER think of going with Direct TV after this last year of HARASSMENT!

• Ho
      Houston Texas Jul 28, 2007

Today I had an EXTREMELY poor customer service experience with DirectTV . I requested talking to a supervisor and the girl who introduced herself as Jennifer ID LC339 was everything by helpful. I asked if i could talk to her supervisor the answer was no, contact the president of Direct TV Company! I am at a shock how poor their customer service was. I'm writing this report hoping someone at the company will care enough to prevent this happening to others.

• Ga
      Gary Meeker Oct 01, 2008

I was assigned a phone number one year ago when I moved into my house and I too started getting phone calls from debt collection agencies for a Jenny Tanner who apparently did not pay her bills. Each one took me off their call list when they found out the phone number had been reassigned EXCEPT Direct TV.

Over the past year I have spoken to agents who see the multiple notes in the system regarding the issue, they even see my name in the notes. I have been transferred to Customer Service who tells me they will put my name and number on the do not call list and get the calls stopped. BUT still every day now, 7 days a week at all hours, I get the automated call where I can’t even speak to someone. I have to call back at the phone number they give and speak to another agent who just tells me the same thing. The last one asked me to give them the new number for Jenny Tanner, like I would have that.

I would never consider having Direct TV as their support is apparently non-existent.

The next step is to take it to my local (Atlanta) TV station consumer affairs person and get Direct TV some bad air time and see if that will get them to do something.

Sara P. Jan 14, 2011

Call the National No Call List, [protected], it takes 31 day and after that you can file a complaint, using the same 888 # on any company that calls your phone. My husband is having the same problem, every single day Direct TV calls him asking for a Pamela Grey, he's spoken to 3 people now who say they will take him of the list, but obviously they haven't. We will NEVER consider using Direct TV.

Direct TVdeception

Aside from complaining about this company, this write-up should also be considered a serious word of caution for those of you who are thinking of signing up with Direct TV. I have used their services for about a year and nine months and decided to switch to a different company. Direct TV however told me that it would cost me an early disconnection fee of $300 to cancel the service. I was stunned as I thought I could cancel anytime. A customer service took me through a grueling process of explaining and citing where this policy is located. The fact that it was grueling is an indication that it couldn't have been easy for me to decipher this rule on acquiring the service. Sure, I should have gone through that long Terms & Condition thesis with all its fine prints, but the cancellation policy is certainly one of those basic rules that Direct TV could have mentioned among the number of issues that it mentioned verbally. If, for instance, the company would inform you of extra services like maintenance coverage (for profit purposes obviously) then why wouldn't it inform about something as important as cancellation? When I asked Direct TV how long it would take before I could cancel my service, I was informed April 2009. Think about it. From December 2005 till April 2009 I am held hostage by Direct TV except I cough up $300. Please don't make the same mistake that I made!!!

• De
        Debra Raymond Aug 20, 2007

I agree that Directv is a poor company to deal with. I ordered service on the telephone for a studio apartment that I knew was only temporary. When I tried to cancel less than a month later, I was told I was obligated for a $200 cancellation fee which has now grown to $274. I told them that had I know up front that there was a 2 yr contract required that I would not have continued with the order as I knew that my stay at the location was very temporary. I sent a letter to the dispute department and that was followed by a letter from a collection agency before I received a reply from the dispute department. They cannot provide evidence that I was informed of the 2 yr contract and that I agreed to it at the time of the order and still say I owe the cancellation fee. I told them I would not pay but would proceed with a lawyer.

My 2 cents... beware of any "large" company and orders placed on line or through 2nd or 3rd party companies where the fine details are not revealed up front. I believe that large companies "trap" people into contracts just to make money.

• Lo
        Lori Hammer Sep 19, 2007

They are crooks---lies, deceit, bate and switch--I feel a class action suit coming and would be willing to sign up.

Direct TVdeceptive company, real bad experience

This company is the bottom of the barrel. From the first phone call to disconnection they have been a nightmare. I only wished I had looked at this site before I switched from cable. Direct TV is deceptive in their selling techniques, their web site is deceptive and the customer service is really lacking as well. I say to anyone who is thinking of Direct TV, STAY AWAY,RUN, Do NOT go with them.

I only have had them 6 days and we have canceled. We had a HD DVR and a HD Receiver and both stick. They bragged about how much better their pictures were compared to my cable. That was an all out lie. Plus we have been through 3 HD DVR receivers in the week we have had Direct TV.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with these jokers and would have my calls dropped while I was on hold, then have to call them back and tell the same story all over again. I was to the point of recording my grievance on a recorder just so I did not have to repeat myself each time I was dropped.

To top it off they tried to re-nig on the agreement that if they did not resolve my problem they would void my contract with out penalty. I am waiting on them to send me the boxes to return this sub-par equipment and then I am contacting my credit card company to make sure they refund the $430 bucks I spent for the up-grades they do not mention in their commercials. If they do not I will dispute the charge.

I was never a great fan of my cable company and their deplorable customer service, but they were never like this company. For the last week I feel I have been kidnapped for all the time and effort I put into this, for something that is supposed to be stress free.. I hope if one person reads these comments and does not go with Direct TV, then these complaints will have paid off.

In closing I can say beware of what you are getting into with Direct TV, It is like getting in bed with the mob, you almost have to get whacked to be rid of these people.

Thanks.

• Ri
          rick morrison Jan 28, 2008

I have had Direct Tv service for over five years. I had my service moved and upgraded to my new home on Dec,7th.2007. The installation was very messy, they left wires hanging everywhere inside and outside the house, never connected the ground cable outside for electrical safety, and we lost signal every few minutes. I called and complained and Direct TV sent another tech out almost two weeks later. He stated the first tech was fired and he “fixed the service”. Within 15 minutes we began to lose signal again.
          I called and e-mail Direct TV about this, offering pictures to prove the service was installed sloppy and didn’t work.
          I e-mailed them several times, it’s easier because their call centers have people that can’t speak clear English and are very hard to deal with and understand. Finally I told them to cancel my service because they couldn’t meet there commitment to me and provide a working service. I also asked for a return autho# to send their receiver back to them.
          Around a week later Jan 11th.2008 I received a disconnect e-mail and bill for 93.00 .I e-mailed them saying I had no service for that month so how do I owe them.
          On Jan 18th.2008 a box with return instructions was delivered to my house for the receiver.
          On Jan 22nd. 2008 I saw Direct TV was pulling $562.83 from my checking account.I took of work and went to my bank to stop this from happening, I signed a stop pay but my bank had to investigate it first. I was told to contact Direct TV and ask them to stop the transaction.
          I called Direct TV several times, I was told the charges were for an early termination of service.I told them again I never had a working service to begin with.I got nowhere with the call center, the language problem was just to much, I asked for some one that could speak better English and I was repeated the same thing again. Direct TV used a check card I had used before to pay my bill on-line and charged my account without my authorization $562.38.
          When I got home that evening I received a bill from them stating what the charges were and it was due immediately.
          No one that speaks good English will talk to me from Direct TV, THEY broke the law pulling money from my account without authorization, caused my account to bounce checks, left me unable to buy groceries this week for my family, I’ve lost two hours work as of today trying to clear this up.Tommorrow I have to go to my bank again and to an attorney .
          What a nightmare, please pass this on to everyone to warn them about direct tv’s practices
          Richard C. Morrison
          [protected]@yahoo.com

• Sk
          S Kline Apr 30, 2013

Where do I begin.. Countless hours OTP with them.
          Replaced cable connectors. Did not fix..
          Told me I need to trim my trees. they were in no proximity to dish. Did not fix issue.
          Replaced cabling drilling more hole in our house. Did not fix.
          Replaced components on my satellite dish. Did not fix.
          Replaced box, fixed initial problems but now fast forwards and rewinds have a 10-15 sec lag time.
          Spent Sat 20th of April OTP with a tech, 45 minutes later asked to speak to manager, placed on hold for 12 minutes to hear the tech say I can't speak to manager. Place on hold again for 7 minutes to hear tech say we will call you back within 4 hours.

Guess what, they never called back. 10 days alter, no return call of any kind.

Direct TVautomatic 2-year service agreement for dvr is a rip off!

Background: I originally signed on with DirecTV over 2 years ago only suspending services for approximately 8 months following the lose of our house due to Hurricane Katrina. When I re-instated services DirecTV offered my previous service with a DVR which came with a discounted monthly rental cost.

In January 2007, I terminated my DirecTV service due to issues with the high speed internet provided by their partner, BellSouth. Without BellSouth, I found it cheaper using a TV & high speed bundled service provided by the local cable company.

I terminated DirecTV the same way I started and subsequently moved services - over the phone. The customer service agents were prompt and very willing to help, BUT at no time was there any mention of a 2-year service commitment for taking / renting the DVR???

After termination and without warning, DirecTV charged my credit card $157.00??? I called the customer service folks, who in-turn forwarded me to a very brief worded (rude) agent who attempted to explain I had terminated the DVR agreement 16 months early, thus was fined the $157.00. I disagreed with his point of view and explained the circumstances by which I ended up with the DVR (again, offered at a discount RENTAL price with no service commitment time mentioned)???

Since it didn't matter to DirecTV what I had to say I forwarded a letter to both DirecTV and my credit card company disputing the charge. My credit card company forwarded DirecTV a letter asking for further explanation. Nothing was sent by DirecTV to them so they (my card company) did an automatic withdrawal from DirecTV of the money DirecTV took from me. That was really cool!

Well we are not done. DirecTV sends me a letter stating they do not have to prove an agreement was made (verbal or written) and that the 2-year commitment was owed... they also mentioned turning the issue over to their credit collections folks.

Thus the problem! We, the small consumer, with good or outstanding credit DO NOT want anything negative on our credit reports regardless if the company is basically crooked and stealing monies not owed them. Companies like DirecTV and their collection folks at Nationwide Credit know this and take advantage knowing there is little we can do without using resources well beyond what is normally owed.

Well, you guessed it... I reluctantly paid and even though pissed don't know what to do other than voice this complaint / ripoff!

Finally, DirecTV has now taken minor, yet hidden, steps to ensure folks know of the 2-year service agreement on services requested over their Internet site, but this will be hard to find in the very small print toward the end of a very length service request venture. Now, I don’t know what info you will receive from an agent if calling for service directly, but I know and was willing to sign an affidavit with DirecTV it was not mentioned to me, BUT AGAIN, they weren’t interested.

CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

John Figueiredo Jan 30, 2008

I also encoutered the same thing. When I ordered my HD box in Dec. 07 I was not told of any early termination fee if I did not keep the service. Directv just stole $440 from my debit checking account because from what I am told I agreed to a 24 month contract to keep the service. How is it that a company a big as this can get away with not telling anyone about this and including it in the fine print of what most of us think is the installation service work order. I am not happy about that but like all of us I am afraid of a bad credit report. If I hire a lawyer it will most definetly cost me more so what to do, fight the guys with deep pockets, pay the fee or get a bad credit report. There is definetly something wrong with this picture and as I see it there is no answer to my frustration. For the sake of being right I just called Directv to see if the sales rep would make any mention of signing a contract or a early termination fee and guess what, you got it, NO MENTION. Maybe I will call Tappy Phillips from NY CBS news to investigate. Shame on you Directv for talking advantage of for one a customer that was in good standing for five years and us little guys that can't defent ourselves and you know that.

• Si
            SINGLEGRL77 Jul 16, 2008

I know!! And I am in college--what the heck is wrong with this picture!?!? Sooo unfair..but I am not too worried..I've got my connections to a good lawyer. UGh.

Direct TVunlawful telephone harassment

Is there anyone who has NOT been harassed by this company's telephone thugs?

Apparently, the US District Attorney for the Southern District of California found enough of us to take this lawbreaking company to court, and he got a consent judgment (they DO know what they do) for FIVE MILLION DOLLARS.

They have stopped harassing me since that judgment, but now DISH is doing the same type harassment from some call center in Canada.

I have put them on notice that they next time they harass me I will obtain criminal telephone harassment warrants locally, and will also notify the US District Attorney.

Haven't heard from them since. Word somehow got to them of the DirecTV fine.

• Je
              Jeannie Henrie Nov 16, 2012

I am a senior citizen receiving harassing phone calls from DirecTV for over a year on my cell phone and land-line. They have called me twice this week on cell phone and hangup when I answer phone and go to my voice mail stating I have an account with them. I have never called or had ANY contact with DirecTV and do not have, or ever had, an account with them. They call me at 9pm at night and wake me up with this calling. I have filed a "Do not call" report twice and for some reason they still call me, what can possibly be their objective? I have had the same cable service for 7 years at my current address. I also filed a report with the FCC communications for these harassing calls with no results. How do I get them to stop calling? This must be illegal. I have nine telephone numbers recorded on my cell phone block feature and they still get through with another telephone number, I just do not understand what they want from me, this certainly is beyond a telemarketer call. Is there anything else I can do about this problem?

Direc TV Satellite Televisionthe worst service ever

I have been a customer of Directv for about 1 year and half. I have received terrible service from them. I am totally done with this service. I recently had a party for the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight. Just like I have done before, I would order the fight about an hour or two before the match. Well, on May 5th, 2017, I went to order the fight. Couldn't order through the TV. Then I went to order the fight on-line. The server is done. OK. I then proceeded to order through their 800 number. The line is busy. This went on for two hours before the fight. Everyone left my home to go and watch the fight before it was too late. I called Direct TV the following day. They gave this lame excuse about the influx of calls and people on their website so that is why I couldn't get through. But no real apologies. I have never received such terrible service in my life. Hopefully, you will be smart and not subscribe to Direct TV. The worst ever. I was so embarrasses and they don't CARE.

• Tr
                Trevor Hammon Aug 30, 2010

To get a rebate is the biggest bunch of ### I have ever went through in my, Life!
                This kind of service ought to be against the law! I submitted the original rebate and then was told that the address on the competitors bill did not match the address where the work was done.
                I guess we're the only family in the US that has a po box and a physical address, please!
                Hello, what about the other info that matches to a T.
                The only thing I can say is that this kind of service can ruin a business quickly.
                I'm going to do my part to see to that!
                P Ode Directv customer

Direct TVfailure to refund cost for hd receiver

To Whom it concerns

Alert: Be Careful about the New ATT&T Bundle Package w/ DirecTV

To everyone desiring to take advantage of the new ATT&T (BellSouth ) Bundle package that is now being offered by the recent merger of both company. With this bundle package one of the offered items is a connection with DirecTV. I did not mind trading my TV cable service for another as long as I received the same quality of service from DirecTV as I received from Dish Network. Inquiring before committing myself I asked BellSouth about the programming and what they offered. Since BellSouth is the selling agent and you must go through them to get the bundle package. I was informed that I could get comparable programming through DirectV and I could get local channels. This I felt was most important to me to know whats going on in my area. So I accepted the deal and schedule installation for the following day. The next day everything seemed to go well with the installation. My Dish Network dish and equipment were removed and the DirecTV equipment was installed.

Then came the big surprise. After the insulation the technician called in to program the equipment including a HD receiver I had to prepay for through a credit card. Well everything was programed in except the local channels. When I asked about the local channels the technician began to show signs of becoming nervous. He immediately responded that he had another insulation to do and I must call DirecTV, Then he left. I suspected that something was wrong but at the moment I couldn't do anything.

As soon as he left I called DirecTV reference the local channels programming. I was told that without question there was no local channel programming through DirecTV offered in my area. Bellsouth was contacted about the misinformation that I was given and asked how this problem can be resolved. At first nobody wanted to acknowledge responsibility for this bad situation. After cancelling the whole deal and talking to approx. 17 different people { never the same one) I finally got ATT&T complaint resolution. ATT&T did agree to pay the cost to reinstalled my Dish Network equipment which was quoted to be $200.00 by Dish Network. DirecTV, however refused to reimburse me for the cost of the HD Receiver I paid for, which I returned. They said that the instillation was completed therefore I was not entitled to be refunded.

As far as I'm concerned this is stealing. This has cost me a lots of time aggravation and money. The lesson to be learned here,is be careful before ordering any TV cable service. Don't take for granted that you can get the same quality of service from every cable service. They are all different. Before ordering the bundle package or any service make sure what's available in your area by calling the cable Co. direct and verifying whats in your area or zip code. Especially with DirecTV which has very restricted areas for Local Channels. If you know anyone that thinking about getting a TV cable service or the BellSouth Bundle package please pass this on.

I live in Hawthorne Fl. This might apply to all Central North Fl. areas as well as many other areas throughout the country. So be careful check first before you buy.

Concerned Consumer
              Prentice Cooper

• Gi
                  gilda mandl May 01, 2009

I called AT&T thinking they were a reputable company. However, I was misled into thinking I was going to get a bundle of phone, internet, and television for $105.00. I was so exited, I told my friends and family about the great deal I was getting.

I called AT&T around April 25th to try and lower my bill, because I lost my job back in September ‘07. I was informed that I can get all my services bundled for $105.00. That is my DSL, long distance calling, and cable for up to four TV’s. To my surprise, I get a bill from DirecTv, not AT&T, five days later for $93.76. The bill states that I have a service agreement for 24 months! Nobody ever voiced that little bit of information. I am from Canada and might return there if I cannot find a job, so signing a 2 year contract was completely out of the question.

I then called AT&T on May 1st, 6 days after the installation of DIRECT TV, and spoke to Miss Simons, who transferred me to Ms. Edmonds, who transferred me to Shawna Johnson who then had a conference call with DIRECTTV and myself and still nothing is resolved. DIRECTV told me that I would be charged $480.00 for an early cancellation fee. I do not believe I am responsible for this fee. The lack of communication and crooked sales tactics misled me, and I am sure, many other people.

In short, I never called DIRECTV, I called AT&T and they misled me into thinking that the Directv was part of their package! I am so disturbed by these two companies, that I do not want anything to do with them. I want to send back their equipment and have no further dealings with either of them.

The public does not deserve to be taken advantage of at a time like this, they should be ashamed of their sales tactics and policies.

Direct TV — worst customer service ever!

On Jan. 27th, 2007, I called to cancel my service with DTV because I was moving and needed a cheaper...

Direct TV — stay away - direct tv sucks!

My friend and I had been considering changing from cable to Direct TV. Since my friend is from the Ukraine...

Direct TV — very poor service and unacceptable contract

I have had direct TV now for about three months and have had one problem after another. I had initially...

Direct TV — bad installation and reception!

Direc TV- bad installation and reception most of the time. 5 months after signing up for 2yrs contract with...

Direc TV Referral Bonus Program — referral bonus program is a rip-off!

I have been with Direct TV for the past three months and up until this morning, I was pleased with the...

Direct TVbeware - installer thefts!

Beware of the contractors directtv sends to install your systems! They do not work for direct! They are not bonded!!

My family recently had directtv installed in our our. We were quoted by bellsouth that there would be no extra charges to have two dvr's and four receivers installed in our home. The installers (Contract laborers from out of the state) arrived at our home at 4:45 pm to begin the installation. The installers walked into our home and immediately began spouting extra charges that were to be paid to them.. Not directtv.

Our home is very large so it was difficult to monitor two installers at one time.

When they left our home my dell axim pda was "missing"!! I had bought this pda 6 months ago!

I called the contracting service that directtv sends to customers homes regarding the theft. They were totally unconcerned! Their reply to me was... Collect it on your "homeowners insurance"!!!

This incident happened in metairie, louisiana!! 2007

• Bo
                    Bob Sep 24, 2008

Direct tv contractors go through extensive criminal background checks and drug screening and they make really good money. I'm a contractor for direct tv and I make $1500 to $2000 weekly. They wouldn't risk losing that kind of income for a pda. Give me a break. He probably left it at the hotel room where he was cheating on you and blamed it on the contractor to save his ###.

Sandra Jan 15, 2009

I recently had a similar experience and totaly agree with Elizabeth. The only difference was that these two guys/ installers stole my i-pod and proceeded to make inappropriate passes at my 20 year old daughter who was trying to keep an eye on them and do her schoolwork.
                    Direct TV supervisors were totaly insensitive and have failed to rfeturn my calls or respond to the letter i sent to the direct tv CEO.
                    Maybe we should all get together and put a class action law suit against this company!
                    Sandra

• To
                    tori912 Feb 20, 2013

had a direct tv independent contractor come in and do an install and 2 days later I had to have a direct tv employee come and fix the mess this Ind cont made...later I found I was missing a $5000.00 Rolex watch, NO one goes into my room and I have THOUSANDS of dollars worth of Jewelery (women's) that was not touched. I made the police report and talked to DTV and they said they would investigate...that was 6 months ago...had to call a number of times and nothing to this day! I told them I only want the watch back and they told me to go through homeowners insurance today! ...DTV sucks and when contract is up I am never dealing with them again...

Direc TV - Free DVD Player — beware! false promises!

I have had the worst experience with directv. They try to lure you with all offers before you join but fail...

Direct TV — I hate directv!

When I moved, I called DirecTV for a mover's package. I was told that it would be over three week...

Direct TVhd dvr still stinks!

HD DVR still stinks, doesn't record, can't view. Need it picked up by DTV, $ I paid you returned to me, and expire date of contract restored to 2/2008 or I am suing DirecTV. And asking lawyer to try for a class action. I am not a tester for you second email: DCS: That's is why I feel a lawsuit may be needed. I did agree to the terms you mentioned, and have paid my additional monthly payment. I have not violated my agreement However, the agreement says you will give me a device that I can use to view broadcast material at a time of my choosing a device that can rewind live broadcasts, your DVR fails to consistently perform these functions and is unreliable. You have not kept your side of this agreement, and a judge will order you to waive the agreement, and make you pay me and potentially many other former viewers, punitive damages. Not to mention the bad press, that will overshadow the back to the future commercials I see. I want this box, but I need it to work properly or . as it stands now this agreement is "unenforceable" since you have sold me a dud. you failed to provide me with what I bought, and have violated the agreement you like to mention. You see an agreement cuts both ways, you get something ( a commitment, and more $ from me) I get a good or service from you, All I have is crap, that is not reliable and can not be counted on to function properly. You refuse to fix it, You lied to me and it appears many others, this agreement is practically void. And I want out. All the goodwill Mr Chase developed with me has evaporated due to this hardware mess. How many people have been fired because of this disaster ? Just yesterday it failed during football, and would not rewind at all. it froze and did not record 24 properly, even after a restart at 7:53pm when it showed some problems. Good thing I have an antenna for backup, it is needed with this product. I am not your tech, and this is not going to be me for the next 2 years. A copy of this email is being sent to [protected]@DIRECTV.com and chase.[protected]@DIRECTV.com third email to them:I will call your tech support people again, but since the first and only thing they seem to do is ask me to reset the receiver. I have bypassed the long phone wait by just resetting the thing myself. This is not what I wanted, I don't remember seeing your promotion of this product mention that the user needs to reset it on a daily basis. Judging from the hundreds of complaints I see scattered across the internet.All recent posts, about similar problems with this device,your tech support department has to be familiar with the issue and must have seen a pattern by know. I see you don't have a problem contacting me, you would think someone from your support department could take a look at it. Any SW download can be done without me present.The delay in fixing this problem is either that you won't or can't. Both are unacceptable to me.I will be posting this, and all emails regrading this problem online, as I solicit someone to represent me in a class action against the company you represent.

• Valerie Feb 08, 2007

I had been a customer of DirecTV for about 10 months when my primary receiver (HD) stopped working. After hours with the customer service department and numerous telephone calls, it was determined that the receiver was defective.

I was given the option of having one of their service technicians come to my home for $75 to tell me it was defective or go to my local Best Buy to pick up a replacement receiver. I chose the latter due to the fact that we had already resolved all of the wiring and other equipment issues and discovered that the problem was within the receiver that was provided me by DirecTV. When I got home with the new receiver, I tried to put my existing smart card into the new receiver and found it would not authorize. So again I called customer service. I was told that was no problem that they could activate the card that came with the new receiver over the phone. Doing that, I was able to receive the programming for which I was paying for.

After 16 months of service I decided to switch to my local cable company that recently started to provide High Speed internet, which DirecTV did not provide, so I cancelled my service. I had a 1 year commitment that would have expired 7/26/06, and this was 11/26/06. I was told by the customer service rep that I would owe an early termination fee of $225. I told this person that I had fulfilled my one year commitment and she advised me that when I replaced the defective receiver, that constituted starting a "New" service of which I was obligated for another year. I told her at that time that I did not start a new service, but had merely replaced a defective receiver that they had provided me. I was at that time told me by purchasing (not really) the unit, I had agreed to their terms of service. These terms were not conveyed to me at any point during any conversation, but were posted on their website.

They claim that I am obligated to pay the charges, so I filed the necessary dispute as outlined in DirecTV TOS. According to this, all disputed charges are placed on hold until the dispute is resolved. I have not received any correspondence from DirecTV regarding my dispute, but had a collection agency contact me this morning 2/7/07 informing me that my account with DirecTV had been placed with them for collection.

In the process, DirecTV withdrew funds from my account for an additional month after my cancellation. In my response to them I requested not only that the charges for early termination be dropped, but the additional month of services which I did not receive be promptly refunded to me. If any one has any suggestions or comments, I would be happy to hear.

I am forwarding this to every consumer protection agency I can, and would appreciate any others with similar complaints to do the same.

• Ho
                      Hobart J Crusenberry Mar 08, 2007

Today, 8 Mar 07, my HR20 quit responding to the remote. A minute or so earlier it had produced blank screens for all the programs already recorded on the hard drive. After I reset, it still behaved erratically, not responding to either the rewind or the pause buttons. I reset one more time. This time, the HR20 started responding normally.

Another typical day with the HR20, which sux big time.

• Ca
                      Candace Rushiddin May 14, 2007

This letter is in regard to my Billing. In Jan. 2007 I rec’d an offer in the mail for service. I accepted the offer for $59.99 total choice plus which included free for I year Starz, Showtime and a choice of DVR service or HD package. I choose the HD package. (Copy of mail offer enclosed). On your website I confirmed the offer and also printed a copy (copy enclosed)

To this date I have not received a correct bill. I call every month upon receit of my bill. I spend more than an hour on the phone each time. After being on hold 10-15 min I then speak with your first line person who in the end can’t help me after another 20min or so. . Again I am place on hold for 10-15min , the second line person has me on and off hold for at least another 20min. They correct the bill after much confusion and assure me my bills will be right in the future.

• Sh
                      sherry tremper Sep 22, 2007

I believe that a class action lawsuit should be filed against directv every since i canceled their service two months ago they won't keep their fingers out of my checking account. They keep taking money out of my account w/o authorization which is stealing first they took the final bill then the following month after i sent the receivers back they said i rented 4 pay-per-view porn movies totaling $ 50.54. I know there is people out there that is out more than that, it's the principle of it they didn't mind sewing when they were being stolen from.

• Ro
                      Roy Hagar Dec 26, 2007

The Directv HD DVR sucks big time. I went from Tivo to this? Completely non-intuitive, ugly interface, undependable recording software skips programs, gives the viewer and "flash of garbage" screen EACH TIME a program is deleted from the playlist. Very inelegant design!!! The closed caption off/on tab is hidden away in the settings menu and takes a dozen keystrokes to access. What a disaster. It must have been a "low-bid" gets-the-job out-sourcing operation. The result is a cheesy, inferior product, not even in the same cosmos with Tivo's elegant software and features.

• Bi
                      Bill Jan 21, 2008

I was a recent DirecTV customer- went to Dish for a year and was very pleased with their receivers. I fell for a DirecTV promotion ad and went back to them, only to be HIGHLY disappointed with the inferior performance of their HD DVR's. Less than a week old, the HD DVR stopped recording, would freeze up constantly and often turned off and on by itself. In addition, DirecTV has to install TWO lines to do what DISH does with one line. The cutomer service reps are nice and try to help, but they are dealing with a very bad product.

• Ra
                      Ray Bishop Apr 11, 2008

Dop not get invouled with directv.com for dish tv. charges and lack of living up to contracts

John R. Sarti Apr 20, 2008

Direct TV and their agents, at least the ones involved in my case are the most despicable people I have ever come accross. Not only have they violated various consumer protection laws, in my opinion they belong in jail.

Direct Tv has agreed to cancel the service but won't return my money for three HD receivers. I paid them $340 and they insist I return the equipment, and the $340.00 goes towards the cost of leasing the equipment.

I never signed any lease agreements of any kind nor was I told the $340 wasn't refundable. I only used the system for 6 hours, for one day. In my opinion the equipment may be refurbished.

I was using the Dish service, and had a problem with the antennae working the third set. The pi cture quality was poor on this set. The 622 from Dish is excellent, as well as the 211 HD receiver. The antennae off the 622 does not produce an HD quality picture.

So I went with Direct. What a mistake. Luckily I had an email from direct to cancel within 3 days. Their guide stinks, their HD Quality isn't as good as DISH, and DISH absolutely has more HD channels than Direct. With Dish you go to HD and you have access to all the HD channels. With Direct you have to hunt down all the HD channels. They also installed a seperate line claiming it was for five satelite coverage.

Then Direct took my DISH antennae away, so I am now without TV. I received a bill from Direct today charging me for additional boxes, HD service, and DVR service on top of the plan I was supposed to have. I have an email from Direct clarifying these additional charges would be include in the higher priced plan. The installer, who now claims to be an independent, and is the one who took the Dish away, claimed he would give me an $18.00 per month off the bill for one year to match the discount from Best Buy s. None of which appears on the bill.

These people will tell you anything to hook you into Direct TV.

If you're an HD person, I think DISH is the better service. Because Dircet TV took my Dish away, I'm missing out on John Adams. tonight. DISH is coming this week to install a real third receiver and a new Dish. I will renew with DISH for 24 months. So in my opinion, stay away from Direct TV.

Johnny May 27, 2008

I recently had the same experience with Directv. i want to switch an access card from a bad receiver to a working receiver. Spent over 2 hours on the phone with 4 different agents. I was very clear about what i want to do with my service and the very first two agents told me that they could do it. Got to the third agent, he informed me that what i want to do is not possible, this was 1 hrs and 30 minutes later. I then asked for a supervisor, he states that he was the supervisor and whatever he say is final. I told me that the power button on my old RCA Receiver is not working. He states that shouldn't matter, the receiver should work. I told him i dont want to have the unit on all the time, the reason is i go on long business trip. I asked him will you be responsible if the receiver cause a fire and he replies was "that would be your fault not ours". I then asked to speak to a manager, he put me on hold for about 15 minutes and come back and asked me for the last four of the receiver i want to activate and he told me that that receiver is link to a deliquent account. this is outrageous, i was paying for the service for that last 6months. Basically he give me a bunch of BS and treating to file a fraudelent complaint against me if he activate the working receiver. I asked to speak to a Manager again, and again was put on hold for another 15 minutes. A resolution specialist came and and i explained the situation and she give me so discount and offere to send me to a new card. I agreed. when put on hold again for 15 minutes and a access card specialist came on and he told me what was wrong with my receiver, i told him whats going on and he told me that he can fix it in 5 minutes. and to my surprise, he did. Why did i wasted over 2hrs to get a resolution.

• Cl
                      Claire Jun 19, 2008

Over the past six months ago, I have experienced many issues with mostly local HD -- “771 searching for satellite”; pixellation; loosing picture; black screen; loosing sound; loosing guide; needing to reset the box at least one a day (this month).

I have had MANY service calls; they have redone the entire installation, and we now have a “homerun” (one single wire) from the dish to the receiver. We are still having the same issues. They sent a Tech Supervisor who confirmed the installation is correct and all our signal strengths are good and that it must be the receiver (they have software issues). We have been told about the software issues before and promised a box without these issues (“magic box”) but unfortunately, they cannot locate one.

Now I get a response from “The Office of the President” and their solution is that they will give us a HDDVR at no additional charge (provided we don’t use the DVR portion) and we must commit to another 2 years or I can have a Tech Supervisor come for another service call. Those are the only two options I am given –if I am not willing to “work towards a solution” (accept their offer) I can get out of my contract. They are not willing to send another receiver. I am concerned about the DVR because I see the same problems reported on this forum.

I have written to Suffolk County Consumer Affairs and the NY State Attorney General’s Office – both of whom are sending complaint forms. I think that this is a wide-spread issue, and after viewing the DIRECTV Technical Help Forum this morning, I can see that it is occurring all over the country! I would like to include issues from this board in my complaint – are you willing to share your information? If so, please email directly at [protected]@gmail.com.

Direc TV - HR20 - 700piece of junk!

Don't but an hr20-700 unless you are ready to miss recordings and expect freeze-ups and system resets!

Below is an email sent to direct tv on my most recent double disappointing experience:

I just installed a hr20 two weeks ago. I am more than disappointed! I recorded the new orleans saints-eagles playoff game last night and attempted to watch it this morning.

But before I tell you what your recorder did, let me say I am a die hard saints fan that has been waiting 40 years to see the game that your damn box just deprived me of!!!

The recording was set to record 1 hour longer than scheduled. It played fine until the 2hr and 18 min mark; third quater - eagles 21-saints 20; then the picture froze and there was nothing recorded from that point on except short bursts of audio!!

I know you can't fix my loss, but perhaps you could send me a dvd with the game on it.

I have 3 tivo's and 4 ultimates. I have neverhad this kind of problem with their equipment!!

I have not decided what to do with your piece of junk!!

Direct TVdo not honor their billing and services agreement!

I signed up with Direct tv on December 18, 2006. I looked over the packages on the internet prior to calling. I signed up for the total choice plus with free starz movie channel for 1 year for 49.99 and a $10 off a month after sending in a form (a type of rebate.

I also received a Greek channel for $14.99. they were also giving me a DVR for $107 with a rebate for $100. When the service representatives came I was not home my husband was. He called me at work (I am a teacher) to ask what plan I ordered because the service representatives did not know. I left school early. I came home a bit upset that they did not know what my order contained. they had put on the basic receivers not the DVR. I told them to forget about it. I had to call and get a reimbursement because the service men did not take care of it as they said they would. they only reenbursed me $100 not $107. I had to call about that. I had also called 3 to 4 times about getting DVR service free for 12 months. I did not know if the DVR box would work without the DVR service. 2 representatives said yes it would. One told me it would not. they would send me another one. Another one told me it would not work and they would send me a basic one if available and would be charged $49 or $59. Nobody semes to know the same information. the last representative told me that I would be locked in for 2 years with the DVR box, something none of the others told me. Finally for the hasel I was given Show Time movie channel for free for 6 months. wait theres more.

When the bill came the charges were different. They had given me a lower program the total choice programing for 44.99, the starz for $12.00, and the Mega Greek channel for 14.99. This added up to more money than what I was suppose to pay and less channels. I called and talked to a representative for over 4 hours.

She told me that she will upgrade me to the total choice plus for 49.99 but can't give me the promotion because it is past 24 hours of the activation. Instead she issued a credit for the starz for 6 months ( $10 a month and $25). She told me that I was to call back after 6 months to reimburse me for the next 6 months. The mistake was Direct Tv's. I shouldn't have to call back. They should of fixed my bill correctly especially after being on the phone for about 3 hours at this point. I asked for a supervisor. I waited for about 30 minutes and the representative checked how long it would take the supervisor to talk to me. She said I was the 12th person in line. 1 and 1/2 hours later I'm Still waiting. I spoke to the representative about canceling my contract. She said I would be charged over $100 for cancellation of the agreement. I can't see why, they did not honor their agreement to me why should I honor my agreement to them.

• De
                          Deb Ohio Mar 08, 2007

I signed up with Directv when they were offering a free portable dvd player. I never received the paperwork necessary until I called about it. I filled everything out and sent everything requested. Instead of a portable dvd player I received a cheap dvd player (one to attach to a tv).