Having problems with DirecTV?

+1 800 531 5000 (Customer Service)
2230 E Imperial Hwy
Sat8:00 AM - 12:00 AM
Sun8:00 AM - 12:00 AM

Complaints & Reviews

unfair termination fee!

When I moved my Direct TV service from one home to another in March, 2006, I was told if I canceled within a year there would be a fee. When I canceled in August, 2007, I was charged that $100 fee. The reason was that one of their receivers quit working in the spring of '07. I called them and they sent out a repairman who offered to replace it. I was told the cancellation fee was based on the fact that the new receiver could not be canceled for one year, and it was not the service but the equipment that mattered. I was never informed of this, but was told it was in an online agreement.

It is ridiculous and questionably legal that a company will not furnish working equipment that is leased, and will tie in that piece of equipment to the original service contract.

Mark Hagl Sep 14, 2007

They did the same to me. I had a transformer blow up and I called and they came out and fixed it at no charge. 3 months later I moved and decided to go cable and I found out that there is a 1 year minimum that you have to keep the service. They told me on Sept. 6,2007 that since they could not prove that I was informed about the fee then they would drop it. Today (Sept 14th) I check my on line bank and see a charge from Direct tv. When I called to discuss the kid on the phone just kept saying it was all listed on their web site. well, I checked their customer agreement document and all it says that there is a 1 year minimum IF you agreed to a service contract (which I did not). I have been with direct tv for 4 years and this is how they treat me.

• Le
    Lesley Murphy Oct 04, 2007

The exact same thing happened to me and trying to get them to waive the fee ($40 in my case) was useless! I called and raised a ruckus because of them failing to tell me that replacing a bad receiver extended my contract for another year. I AM VERY VERY ANGRY! i WILL CALL THEM EVERY DAY!!!

john m hayes Dec 23, 2007

I had direct tv several years ago. They kept sending us special offers, they want us back. So we called them in december, the sales person promised us 99.6% reception time, very little picture interferance. On Nov 28/07 the dish & receivers was hooked up. Dec.1/07 we lost the picture for more than a hour, I was furious, I called them naturally. They of course went thru their troubleshooting procedures, nothing helped, at this time I told them to come pick up their Dishs & reivers, you did not live up to your promise. Well, they are charging us 137.00 for early cancellation fee, this is not right. I am going to let everone know what kind of service i got.

Charles Alvin Fricke Jan 15, 2008

I had Direct TV since the mid 1990's . In 2006 I had receiver problems ,and problems with cust svc canceling all my programing but basic programing,with never any channels, or local channels, and now broke down equipment and every time the wind blowed seems like I would either lose reception, or have a cloudy picture , or couldnt change the channels with remote...I was furious, so I called customer service to cancel and was talked into staying by Direct TV's cancellation dept, because I had been such a long time customer.. I told them I was moving to Dish Network they told me they would fix my programming ,and mail me a new receiver without being under anykind of obligation if I would stay,for my past inconveniences.. I told them as long as I wasn't under any contract, or obligation that I would stay they told me if I didnt stay 6 more months I would have to return my receiver to them at no costs to me , but again assured me I WOULDNT BE UNDER ANY CONTRACT ,OR OBLIGATION BECAUSE I HAD BEEN A LONG TIME CUSTOMER AND THEY DIDNT WANT TO LOSE MY BUSINESS...They sent my receiver then they started taking all my programming again and I would call and a week or so later I had no channels again ..I made a final payment by phone and told customer service I was moving to Dish Network.. I received a box post paid and returned their receiver and remote control as we agreed and moved my service to Dish network.. I dont hear anything from Direct TV No bills or nothing, then several months later I get a threatening bill from a collecction agency, for $300.75 I called Direct Tv they said I cancelled early which is a lie...and continued to bill me for full service even though I had called cancelled my service , returned my receivers,and bruised my credit... Dont believe anything the cancellation dept tells you when they are trying to get you to stay.. Have them to put it in writing and mail or fax it to you.. Collection agency your client Direct TV has their wires crossed and is badly mistaken..Im afraid this is one bill you will never collect THEY OUTRIGHT LIED TO YOU TO GET MONEY OUT OF ME THAT WASNT OWED TO THEM...

• El
    Elena Mar 20, 2008

Call the FCC. I was told that my service extended when they replaced a receiver. I went along with it, but needed service again. I told them that I refused to renew the contract any further. They said it wouldn't be necessary. Then they told me the contract renewed again. I knew I didn't sign anything. They said it was a "verbal agreement". Come on! What major company does business with verbal agreements? I am out of my contract now. They need something in writing.

beware of their scam and rip off!

My son received a call on his cell phone on the last part of June, this year just showed up on his caller I.D. as Direct TV. The man told him we were getting a upgrade on our services, since we had been a good customer the last 4 yrs. He asked my son for my credit card which I do not have, so he then ask for my S.S.# without thinking he gave it to him, he sat up an appointment,to be here on 7-3-07. When he came I was not home but my son was, The man hooked it up by the time I returned home it was all done. When I saw the van door it said Dish Network, on it. The man had me to sign a paper, which I did without thinking, I then ask if the 2 Companies had merged as 1, he said no. Then said sounded like I was scammed. So when he left I called &cancelled this & told her we were already with a cable co. She said it would be shut off at midnight, which it was not I tried to get hold of someone but did not get this resolved until around around the 27th of July with a balance of $249.00,Payment due this month of $ 196.49. And someone has made a $ 2.00 pmnt. on my account on 7-24-07 with a visa which I do not own. I thought you should know about this scam RIP OFF, ESPECIALLY FOR PEOPLE ON FIXED INCOMES LIKE MYSELF. Thanks, Barbara Pilant

• Almost same thing happened to me.Had Direct TV for 3 yrs, then salesman talked me into "upgrading" to a newer box, 16 year old son was home when installation took place, I was left no papers telling me anything, except I was told over the phone I was getting it for 10 dollars cheaper I thought great until I got double billed month after month come to find out I was actually CANCELLING old service, installing new with a contract i never signed or saw(by the way its on your first bill in tiny little print that you have now a contract with them)after a year of phone calls to minimum wage people, each with a different promise to fix the problem, I got turned into a collection agency for the double billing for 4 months I refused to pay. Finally after a year and a month, 2 letters to corporate and a complaint with Consumer Affairs they sent me a check for 30$ less than the double billing(I had already paid the collection agency) I was so stressed by the non service I cancelled and now am being charged an early cancellation fee. I refuse to pay this and I will take them to court first. Beware. Every person you talk to will promise you to fix it, and you will get a different answer.Make them put it in writing, every promise, every estimate of what your bill will be and NEVER give them your bank acct number, they don't need it to install you. What ever happened to customer service...nowdays it seems like every cable company is out to rip you off with no concern for the customer.

do not get directv they will rob you!

I subscribed to DirecTV in April. The day that the dish was put in I did not receive services. Tech said...

absolutely unacceptable treatment

Direct TV PO Box 6550 Greenvillage, CO [protected] To whom it may concern: RE: Account [protected] My name i...

over charge, fraud!

I recently returned from another deployment to Iraq with the Marine Corps. When I returned home my wife and I wanted to hook up one additional satellite receiver in our bedroom. Until the spring of 2007 we have always only had a single receiver in our living room. Prior to this installation, I called Direct TV to see what needed to be done to install an additional receiver. I was told at that time that there was no additional charge; I could hook up as many as I wanted to. I went to a local Best Buy retail store and purchased a new satellite receiver off the shelf. There was no contract signed, no additional paperwork or stipulation given to me at the check out with regards to purchasing this receiver. The only thing the young man at the register tried to do was get us to sign up for some "free magazine subscriptions" that would really be charged to a credit card. This receiver was paid for with cash and I received only a paid receipt with the purchase, no other paperwork, contract or verbal warnings about it being "leased equipment".

When I called Direct TV to activate the new receiver, the assistant told me that we already had two active receivers from their company. I explained to him that we have always only had a single receiver, the current one was again replaced in Aug. or 2006 when I was home on leave before deploying to Iraq and the satellite receiver was knocked out from a lightning strike. At that time we went to a local retail store and purchased a replacement receiver off the shelf. Just as this most recent time, there was no contract signed, no additional paperwork given to us or any indication that the equipment that we purchased was for a lease. It was paid for at the register and we received a paid receipt only.

After verifying the serial number on the only operational receiver in our house, it was determined that Direct TV had not removed the previously damaged equipment from our account. The service rep. said that if I checked our bill it should show that we were being charged for a leased receiver. When the bill was checked, it in fact did show a charge for a leased receiver. When I called Direct TV to dispute this charge I was told that I should have checked the bill and it was my responsibility to raise the issue last year in Aug. when the error was made. I explained to the customer service representative that I was in Iraq involved in combat operations until recently and that I did not receive any bills there nor did I have any indication there was a problem until I returned home and again began dealing with bills. My wife had been paying all of our bills in my absence. The representative said that it was my wife's fault if we were overcharged and that company policy was to not do anything about it if it was over 60 days old. I was told that on the bill a charge was noted as leased equipment but it was only a charge for having an additional receiver hooked up, not that I had rented the equipment. Then to add insult to injury, they wanted to refer me to another representative to get us to expand our service and pay even more money out on some promotional package.

After a couple of days I again called Direct TV trying to get the issue of being over charged for a receiver that was not operational taken care of and I received the same lack of understanding as before and again had someone try to sell us something else.

A couple of days later, I again called the company trying to get this issue taken care of and received the same story that it was our fault for not catching it sooner and Direct TV would not refund any overcharge. At that time I told the representative I wanted to disconnect our service immediately. Again the representative tried to sell me an additional service package if I didn't disconnect. I was eventually transferred to an older gentleman named John who said he would help me disconnect the service. He wanted to know why we were dissatisfied and I explained it all to him again. He was the first person from the company to say anything could be done about the overcharge after everyone else said nothing could be done. He did say he thought it was his companies fault for the overcharge and said he would have our bill adjusted to show a refund. If anyone at Direct TV would have shown an interest in dealing with us previously, the issue would have been settled at this point. Then John also tried to sell us an upgraded service package. I told him that the last thing I was interested in was spending more money when I was trying to recoup an overcharge.

Last week we received two empty boxes from Fed Ex with return addresses to the company. A couple of days later we received a recorded message from Them explaining that we were to return leased equipment to Direct TV. I called Them to explain again that we do not have any leased equipment, that all equipment we possess has been purchased at a retail store. I was transferred to 3 different people who each said basically the same thing. All they say is that the equipment is leased and that I have a one year service contact with Direct TV just because I used the service. One of the customer service representatives went so far as to say I wasn't telling the truth when I said I never received any additional paperwork, contracts or cautions when I purchased the equipment. The next man I was transferred to said he would connect me with the department that would remove the 1 year service contract from my account and when I spoke with them they said they knew nothing about it.

It seems every time I have some contact with Direct TV, I receive some previously undisclosed information about some charge for one thing or another that is not mentioned by anyone else but I'm supposed to know about it because it’s in my contract.

Many of their representatives have given erroneous and at times conflicting information which has aggravated this issue. Most recently we received a call from 2 more reps., one eventually after about 45 minutes of saying we owed all the previous charges and trying to sell us additional service packages confessed that she had no authority to deal with our dispute, that her only purpose in calling was to get us to continue our service with Direct TV and that she had no authority to deal with disputes. The last week of July another service rep. calls the house under the veil of dealing with our dispute only to find that she also has no authority to deal with it and actually never even read my pervious letters to their company. She did say that the charges have increased now to nearly $200 and that they would send it to collections.

Direct TV continues to attempt to sell upgraded service packages, not deal at all with the complaint issues and have people contact us with no authority or knowledge of our complaints. But they always end the conversation with a big thanks for choosing Direct TV. We feel that they are being purposefully deceptive, stalling and leaving us with no choice but to seek legal action.

• Sl
    slekjr Jan 04, 2010

We had a Direct tv account for 10 years. We just moved and had the service terminated. When I called the rep said it was handled and it would be terminated on 12/20 and the phone went dead. I was billed for an additional month (in advance) on 12/24. When I called I was told the service was not disconnected because the phone call had been terminated. They were the ones that terminated the call and they understood perfectly well that we were supposed to be disconnected.
    Trying to contact them is a real pain too, and their web site as far as contacting them is ridiculous.

directv makes you pay for their repairs!

The Directv HD receiver that was installed continually resets itself, will not display the correct time for programming, or the guide will just say regular schedule. In addition, the HD channels are frequently unavailable, it says service not purchased (although it is), the screen goes black. I called DTV and spoke to a supervisor. In order to get a technician to come out and look at the receiver, it will cost $70.00. This is to cover their equipment that they own. I have the option instead of getting a protection plan for 7.95 a month!!! Get the consumer to pay for your equipment, good idea Directv. What a scam. I have only had the receiver for 5 months!!! Suggestions anyone. I will be filing with the Better Business Bureau, calling local television stations and writing as many letters as possible. This should be illegal. The equipment is RENTED, if you are renting a house and the A.C. goes out, should you be required to fix it???

Maddening.

• At
    atoz350 Dec 11, 2009

All of the symptoms you've described sound like your dish is out of alignment. There are no problems with the equipment, just the installation.

consumer fraud!

Mr. Samik disai who is directv sell rep. Stopped by my house on 06/28/07, said would set up good deal with the programming package and vietnamese direct 3 channels from directv, because he knew I have longstanding relationship with comcast cable. Samik promised to have a fox news, comcast sportnet including in the package same current lineup with comcast, then samik showed me the choice package ($49.99/month). I also asked samik for a price breakdown of the monthly billing, so he put the billing breakdown monthly in the order form.

Samik made the order detail match up with price quoted, preferred choice was put in the description of order from which not describe by samik, and vietnamese direct.

Samik went back to his office to submit the order to directv. Again, price quoted was not the same price billed from directv which I received only a few days after the dish was installed, it was $30 higher, without any vietnamese direct iii channels after the technician came out to install first time. I called samik right away, who said I was supposed to have those channels, but I did not. Samik told me that he would find out from his company and then call me back in couple of minutes, but he never called back. Then I called his company (Smart circle [protected]) , they said I have to call directv customer service. Directv’s customer service representative said that I need another dish for international channels, but the samik never mentioned this to me since the beginning. If he told me before we reached the agreement I don’t think I would be happy with that deal, because I would not want another dish put on my roof. Also directv told me that I have to pay for shipping of the second dish. Again I was not aware of need for 2 dishes originally without having to pay any extra costs.

I called to complain to directv after I received the billing statement with the total higher than quoted by the seller. Customer service asked me to read the description in the order form to them. The description quoted & ldquo;preferred choice” programming is $20 cheaper than the package shown on billing statement. I was never shown a description of what is in the & ldquo;preferred choice” package because the samik never explained this to me. After customer service switch me back to the & ldquo;preferred choice” package I do not receive fox news or comcast sportnet channels which was a linchpin and a main reason for switching to directv.

I am an extremely unhappy customer! I am not sure why I have to pay more for fewer channels now than I had with the comcast cable. Samik tried to make an easy sale and promised me, the customer, something never that was never going to happen. I am very upset and asked directv to have a technician take the equipment back and disconnect the service. Directv’s customer service told me that I have to pay $300 to disconnect the service no matter what. I don’t want to lose money for nothing. Also I don’t want to spend more than I spent before with the comcast cable. I also had customer service remove packages such as vietnamese direct iii so the bill would be more in line with what I was promised. I called the samik and left several voice mails and he has yet to return a single call. I called his company and they said I have to contact directv directly as they are not responsible.

• Da
    Daniel Richardson Aug 25, 2007

I have almost the same experience with phone sales associate. He promised me Choice for $14.97 a month just to get a sale, and only a 12 month contract with DVR and two extra receivers(for the extra rental charges total of $31.97, or so a month! After an hour on the phone with customer service they told me the same thing: if I disconnected service I would have to pay the almost $300 cancelled contract fee(for 24 months, not 12 as promised) and write them directly to dispute the charges. Since all agreements are verbal I am at their mercy. We will see what happens after they get my letter, I too am an angry customer!

• Mi
    Micheal Gentry Jan 12, 2008

Direct Technologies in Dallas, NC contracts for Directv and they refuse to pay me the $3000.00 owed to me for working for them. The owners Jessica told me I was getting my money back in October 2007 and Stacy her husband will not pay me. He has a criminal record for being a thief. If I had known this when I was hired then I would not have worked there. This is a low life ### company. Please avoid them totally. They will rip you off!!!

• Ro
    Ron Inouye Mar 31, 2009

I had DTV installed after being told I woiuld get the choice paqckage for 49.95. He said I would get 1 HD DVR and 2 standard boxes for 2 other room s. After finishing all details I asked him what I would pay out of my pocket after all taxes and charges are done. He said 49.95 plus maybe 1-3 for state taxes. IK was ok with that and knew it was a promotional deal and I would be charged more after 12 months.

On my first day I checked online and noticed a $94 charge. They told me I got the 49.95 plan, but had to apply for a $21 rebate. this would still be $78. They said there was a $5 per box charge and named other charges. They then told me they were sorry their distributer misquoted the price. Actually the ditributer acted like they were DTV not representitives. They said all sales are final.

Well it turned out I can cancel within 24 hours so I did and do not have to eat any charges. They are sending boxes to return equipment. I am out time to reinstall cable, but glad I got out g this. Very bad customer service.

I actually really liked the DTV channels and equipment. Its too bad this experience started like this.

• anonymous* Jul 02, 2009

I would just like to say...DONT USE DIRECTV!!! They have the worst DVR which doesn't even work. Everything always breaks and never works when they send in a replacement. Once, we called to get a new reciever and it took them 8 months to send it to us. All I am saying here is, leave DirecTv if you can! It is so bad!!!

lies lies lies!

This company is the biggest bunch of liars I have ever worked with. June 21, 2007 I signed up for DirecTV...

refuse to send return labels

We are active military, came down on orders, had to move, canceled direct tv, we now have to return the...

harassing collections calls to non-customer

In June 2006, I was assigned a corporate cell phone number that previously was assigned to Jessica last name unknown that did not pay her Direct TV bill. I have received numerous dunning calls since July. Every 4-6 weeks I receive a new collection call. When I receive these calls; I call their collection department, speak with a supervisor and am assured they will take my number out of this account and out of the computer generated call system. 4-6 weeks later I receive the same call and the same response. They will not share the Jessica's last name or account number so I cannot report them to the FTC or to the state agency. It is now 7/2/07 and I just received another call from their collection department. This is a horrible company that not only treats their customers badly but also people who are not even customers yet. I will NEVER think of going with Direct TV after this last year of HARASSMENT!

• Ho
    Houston Texas Jul 28, 2007

Today I had an EXTREMELY poor customer service experience with DirectTV . I requested talking to a supervisor and the girl who introduced herself as Jennifer ID LC339 was everything by helpful. I asked if i could talk to her supervisor the answer was no, contact the president of Direct TV Company! I am at a shock how poor their customer service was. I'm writing this report hoping someone at the company will care enough to prevent this happening to others.

• Ga
    Gary Meeker Oct 01, 2008

I was assigned a phone number one year ago when I moved into my house and I too started getting phone calls from debt collection agencies for a Jenny Tanner who apparently did not pay her bills. Each one took me off their call list when they found out the phone number had been reassigned EXCEPT Direct TV.

Over the past year I have spoken to agents who see the multiple notes in the system regarding the issue, they even see my name in the notes. I have been transferred to Customer Service who tells me they will put my name and number on the do not call list and get the calls stopped. BUT still every day now, 7 days a week at all hours, I get the automated call where I can’t even speak to someone. I have to call back at the phone number they give and speak to another agent who just tells me the same thing. The last one asked me to give them the new number for Jenny Tanner, like I would have that.

I would never consider having Direct TV as their support is apparently non-existent.

The next step is to take it to my local (Atlanta) TV station consumer affairs person and get Direct TV some bad air time and see if that will get them to do something.

Sara P. Jan 14, 2011

Call the National No Call List, 888-382-1222, it takes 31 day and after that you can file a complaint, using the same 888 # on any company that calls your phone. My husband is having the same problem, every single day Direct TV calls him asking for a Pamela Grey, he's spoken to 3 people now who say they will take him of the list, but obviously they haven't. We will NEVER consider using Direct TV.

deception

Aside from complaining about this company, this write-up should also be considered a serious word of caution for those of you who are thinking of signing up with Direct TV. I have used their services for about a year and nine months and decided to switch to a different company. Direct TV however told me that it would cost me an early disconnection fee of $300 to cancel the service. I was stunned as I thought I could cancel anytime. A customer service took me through a grueling process of explaining and citing where this policy is located. The fact that it was grueling is an indication that it couldn't have been easy for me to decipher this rule on acquiring the service. Sure, I should have gone through that long Terms & Condition thesis with all its fine prints, but the cancellation policy is certainly one of those basic rules that Direct TV could have mentioned among the number of issues that it mentioned verbally. If, for instance, the company would inform you of extra services like maintenance coverage (for profit purposes obviously) then why wouldn't it inform about something as important as cancellation? When I asked Direct TV how long it would take before I could cancel my service, I was informed April 2009. Think about it. From December 2005 till April 2009 I am held hostage by Direct TV except I cough up $300. Please don't make the same mistake that I made!!!

• De
    Debra Raymond Aug 20, 2007

I agree that Directv is a poor company to deal with. I ordered service on the telephone for a studio apartment that I knew was only temporary. When I tried to cancel less than a month later, I was told I was obligated for a $200 cancellation fee which has now grown to $274. I told them that had I know up front that there was a 2 yr contract required that I would not have continued with the order as I knew that my stay at the location was very temporary. I sent a letter to the dispute department and that was followed by a letter from a collection agency before I received a reply from the dispute department. They cannot provide evidence that I was informed of the 2 yr contract and that I agreed to it at the time of the order and still say I owe the cancellation fee. I told them I would not pay but would proceed with a lawyer.

My 2 cents... beware of any "large" company and orders placed on line or through 2nd or 3rd party companies where the fine details are not revealed up front. I believe that large companies "trap" people into contracts just to make money.

• Lo
    Lori Hammer Sep 19, 2007

They are crooks---lies, deceit, bate and switch--I feel a class action suit coming and would be willing to sign up.

deceptive company, real bad experience

This company is the bottom of the barrel. From the first phone call to disconnection they have been a nightmare. I only wished I had looked at this site before I switched from cable. Direct TV is deceptive in their selling techniques, their web site is deceptive and the customer service is really lacking as well. I say to anyone who is thinking of Direct TV, STAY AWAY,RUN, Do NOT go with them.

I only have had them 6 days and we have canceled. We had a HD DVR and a HD Receiver and both stick. They bragged about how much better their pictures were compared to my cable. That was an all out lie. Plus we have been through 3 HD DVR receivers in the week we have had Direct TV.

I have spent countless hours on the phone with these jokers and would have my calls dropped while I was on hold, then have to call them back and tell the same story all over again. I was to the point of recording my grievance on a recorder just so I did not have to repeat myself each time I was dropped.

To top it off they tried to re-nig on the agreement that if they did not resolve my problem they would void my contract with out penalty. I am waiting on them to send me the boxes to return this sub-par equipment and then I am contacting my credit card company to make sure they refund the $430 bucks I spent for the up-grades they do not mention in their commercials. If they do not I will dispute the charge.

I was never a great fan of my cable company and their deplorable customer service, but they were never like this company. For the last week I feel I have been kidnapped for all the time and effort I put into this, for something that is supposed to be stress free.. I hope if one person reads these comments and does not go with Direct TV, then these complaints will have paid off.

In closing I can say beware of what you are getting into with Direct TV, It is like getting in bed with the mob, you almost have to get whacked to be rid of these people.

Thanks.

• Ri
    rick morrison Jan 28, 2008

I have had Direct Tv service for over five years. I had my service moved and upgraded to my new home on Dec,7th.2007. The installation was very messy, they left wires hanging everywhere inside and outside the house, never connected the ground cable outside for electrical safety, and we lost signal every few minutes. I called and complained and Direct TV sent another tech out almost two weeks later. He stated the first tech was fired and he “fixed the service”. Within 15 minutes we began to lose signal again.
    I called and e-mail Direct TV about this, offering pictures to prove the service was installed sloppy and didn’t work.
    I e-mailed them several times, it’s easier because their call centers have people that can’t speak clear English and are very hard to deal with and understand. Finally I told them to cancel my service because they couldn’t meet there commitment to me and provide a working service. I also asked for a return autho# to send their receiver back to them.
    Around a week later Jan 11th.2008 I received a disconnect e-mail and bill for 93.00 .I e-mailed them saying I had no service for that month so how do I owe them.
    On Jan 18th.2008 a box with return instructions was delivered to my house for the receiver.
    On Jan 22nd. 2008 I saw Direct TV was pulling $562.83 from my checking account.I took of work and went to my bank to stop this from happening, I signed a stop pay but my bank had to investigate it first. I was told to contact Direct TV and ask them to stop the transaction.
    I called Direct TV several times, I was told the charges were for an early termination of service.I told them again I never had a working service to begin with.I got nowhere with the call center, the language problem was just to much, I asked for some one that could speak better English and I was repeated the same thing again. Direct TV used a check card I had used before to pay my bill on-line and charged my account without my authorization $562.38.
    When I got home that evening I received a bill from them stating what the charges were and it was due immediately.
    No one that speaks good English will talk to me from Direct TV, THEY broke the law pulling money from my account without authorization, caused my account to bounce checks, left me unable to buy groceries this week for my family, I’ve lost two hours work as of today trying to clear this up.Tommorrow I have to go to my bank again and to an attorney .
    What a nightmare, please pass this on to everyone to warn them about direct tv’s practices
    Richard C. Morrison
    [email protected]

• Sk
    S Kline Apr 30, 2013

Where do I begin.. Countless hours OTP with them.
    Replaced cable connectors. Did not fix..
    Told me I need to trim my trees. they were in no proximity to dish. Did not fix issue.
    Replaced cabling drilling more hole in our house. Did not fix.
    Replaced components on my satellite dish. Did not fix.
    Replaced box, fixed initial problems but now fast forwards and rewinds have a 10-15 sec lag time.
    Spent Sat 20th of April OTP with a tech, 45 minutes later asked to speak to manager, placed on hold for 12 minutes to hear the tech say I can't speak to manager. Place on hold again for 7 minutes to hear tech say we will call you back within 4 hours.

Guess what, they never called back. 10 days alter, no return call of any kind.

automatic 2-year service agreement for dvr is a rip off!

Background: I originally signed on with DirecTV over 2 years ago only suspending services for approximately 8 months following the lose of our house due to Hurricane Katrina. When I re-instated services DirecTV offered my previous service with a DVR which came with a discounted monthly rental cost.

In January 2007, I terminated my DirecTV service due to issues with the high speed internet provided by their partner, BellSouth. Without BellSouth, I found it cheaper using a TV & high speed bundled service provided by the local cable company.

I terminated DirecTV the same way I started and subsequently moved services - over the phone. The customer service agents were prompt and very willing to help, BUT at no time was there any mention of a 2-year service commitment for taking / renting the DVR???

After termination and without warning, DirecTV charged my credit card $157.00??? I called the customer service folks, who in-turn forwarded me to a very brief worded (rude) agent who attempted to explain I had terminated the DVR agreement 16 months early, thus was fined the $157.00. I disagreed with his point of view and explained the circumstances by which I ended up with the DVR (again, offered at a discount RENTAL price with no service commitment time mentioned)???

Since it didn't matter to DirecTV what I had to say I forwarded a letter to both DirecTV and my credit card company disputing the charge. My credit card company forwarded DirecTV a letter asking for further explanation. Nothing was sent by DirecTV to them so they (my card company) did an automatic withdrawal from DirecTV of the money DirecTV took from me. That was really cool!

Well we are not done. DirecTV sends me a letter stating they do not have to prove an agreement was made (verbal or written) and that the 2-year commitment was owed... they also mentioned turning the issue over to their credit collections folks.

Thus the problem! We, the small consumer, with good or outstanding credit DO NOT want anything negative on our credit reports regardless if the company is basically crooked and stealing monies not owed them. Companies like DirecTV and their collection folks at Nationwide Credit know this and take advantage knowing there is little we can do without using resources well beyond what is normally owed.

Well, you guessed it... I reluctantly paid and even though pissed don't know what to do other than voice this complaint / ripoff!

Finally, DirecTV has now taken minor, yet hidden, steps to ensure folks know of the 2-year service agreement on services requested over their Internet site, but this will be hard to find in the very small print toward the end of a very length service request venture. Now, I don’t know what info you will receive from an agent if calling for service directly, but I know and was willing to sign an affidavit with DirecTV it was not mentioned to me, BUT AGAIN, they weren’t interested.

CONSUMER BEWARE!!!

John Figueiredo Jan 30, 2008

I also encoutered the same thing. When I ordered my HD box in Dec. 07 I was not told of any early termination fee if I did not keep the service. Directv just stole $440 from my debit checking account because from what I am told I agreed to a 24 month contract to keep the service. How is it that a company a big as this can get away with not telling anyone about this and including it in the fine print of what most of us think is the installation service work order. I am not happy about that but like all of us I am afraid of a bad credit report. If I hire a lawyer it will most definetly cost me more so what to do, fight the guys with deep pockets, pay the fee or get a bad credit report. There is definetly something wrong with this picture and as I see it there is no answer to my frustration. For the sake of being right I just called Directv to see if the sales rep would make any mention of signing a contract or a early termination fee and guess what, you got it, NO MENTION. Maybe I will call Tappy Phillips from NY CBS news to investigate. Shame on you Directv for talking advantage of for one a customer that was in good standing for five years and us little guys that can't defent ourselves and you know that.

• Si
    SINGLEGRL77 Jul 16, 2008

I know!! And I am in college--what the heck is wrong with this picture!?!? Sooo unfair..but I am not too worried..I've got my connections to a good lawyer. UGh.

unlawful telephone harassment

Is there anyone who has NOT been harassed by this company's telephone thugs?

Apparently, the US District Attorney for the Southern District of California found enough of us to take this lawbreaking company to court, and he got a consent judgment (they DO know what they do) for FIVE MILLION DOLLARS.

They have stopped harassing me since that judgment, but now DISH is doing the same type harassment from some call center in Canada.

I have put them on notice that they next time they harass me I will obtain criminal telephone harassment warrants locally, and will also notify the US District Attorney.

Haven't heard from them since. Word somehow got to them of the DirecTV fine.

• Je
    Jeannie Henrie Nov 16, 2012

I am a senior citizen receiving harassing phone calls from DirecTV for over a year on my cell phone and land-line. They have called me twice this week on cell phone and hangup when I answer phone and go to my voice mail stating I have an account with them. I have never called or had ANY contact with DirecTV and do not have, or ever had, an account with them. They call me at 9pm at night and wake me up with this calling. I have filed a "Do not call" report twice and for some reason they still call me, what can possibly be their objective? I have had the same cable service for 7 years at my current address. I also filed a report with the FCC communications for these harassing calls with no results. How do I get them to stop calling? This must be illegal. I have nine telephone numbers recorded on my cell phone block feature and they still get through with another telephone number, I just do not understand what they want from me, this certainly is beyond a telemarketer call. Is there anything else I can do about this problem?

the worst service ever

I have been a customer of Directv for about 1 year and half. I have received terrible service from them. I am totally done with this service. I recently had a party for the De La Hoya-Mayweather fight. Just like I have done before, I would order the fight about an hour or two before the match. Well, on May 5th, 2017, I went to order the fight. Couldn't order through the TV. Then I went to order the fight on-line. The server is done. OK. I then proceeded to order through their 800 number. The line is busy. This went on for two hours before the fight. Everyone left my home to go and watch the fight before it was too late. I called Direct TV the following day. They gave this lame excuse about the influx of calls and people on their website so that is why I couldn't get through. But no real apologies. I have never received such terrible service in my life. Hopefully, you will be smart and not subscribe to Direct TV. The worst ever. I was so embarrasses and they don't CARE.

• Tr
    Trevor Hammon Aug 30, 2010

To get a rebate is the biggest bunch of ### I have ever went through in my, Life!
    This kind of service ought to be against the law! I submitted the original rebate and then was told that the address on the competitors bill did not match the address where the work was done.
    I guess we're the only family in the US that has a po box and a physical address, please!
    Hello, what about the other info that matches to a T.
    The only thing I can say is that this kind of service can ruin a business quickly.
    I'm going to do my part to see to that!
    P Ode Directv customer

failure to refund cost for hd receiver

To Whom it concerns

Alert: Be Careful about the New ATT&T Bundle Package w/ DirecTV

To everyone desiring to take advantage of the new ATT&T (BellSouth ) Bundle package that is now being offered by the recent merger of both company. With this bundle package one of the offered items is a connection with DirecTV. I did not mind trading my TV cable service for another as long as I received the same quality of service from DirecTV as I received from Dish Network. Inquiring before committing myself I asked BellSouth about the programming and what they offered. Since BellSouth is the selling agent and you must go through them to get the bundle package. I was informed that I could get comparable programming through DirectV and I could get local channels. This I felt was most important to me to know whats going on in my area. So I accepted the deal and schedule installation for the following day. The next day everything seemed to go well with the installation. My Dish Network dish and equipment were removed and the DirecTV equipment was installed.

Then came the big surprise. After the insulation the technician called in to program the equipment including a HD receiver I had to prepay for through a credit card. Well everything was programed in except the local channels. When I asked about the local channels the technician began to show signs of becoming nervous. He immediately responded that he had another insulation to do and I must call DirecTV, Then he left. I suspected that something was wrong but at the moment I couldn't do anything.

As soon as he left I called DirecTV reference the local channels programming. I was told that without question there was no local channel programming through DirecTV offered in my area. Bellsouth was contacted about the misinformation that I was given and asked how this problem can be resolved. At first nobody wanted to acknowledge responsibility for this bad situation. After cancelling the whole deal and talking to approx. 17 different people { never the same one) I finally got ATT&T complaint resolution. ATT&T did agree to pay the cost to reinstalled my Dish Network equipment which was quoted to be $200.00 by Dish Network. DirecTV, however refused to reimburse me for the cost of the HD Receiver I paid for, which I returned. They said that the instillation was completed therefore I was not entitled to be refunded.

As far as I'm concerned this is stealing. This has cost me a lots of time aggravation and money. The lesson to be learned here,is be careful before ordering any TV cable service. Don't take for granted that you can get the same quality of service from every cable service. They are all different. Before ordering the bundle package or any service make sure what's available in your area by calling the cable Co. direct and verifying whats in your area or zip code. Especially with DirecTV which has very restricted areas for Local Channels. If you know anyone that thinking about getting a TV cable service or the BellSouth Bundle package please pass this on.

I live in Hawthorne Fl. This might apply to all Central North Fl. areas as well as many other areas throughout the country. So be careful check first before you buy.

Concerned Consumer
Prentice Cooper

• Gi
    gilda mandl May 01, 2009

I called AT&T thinking they were a reputable company. However, I was misled into thinking I was going to get a bundle of phone, internet, and television for $105.00. I was so exited, I told my friends and family about the great deal I was getting.

I called AT&T around April 25th to try and lower my bill, because I lost my job back in September ‘07. I was informed that I can get all my services bundled for $105.00. That is my DSL, long distance calling, and cable for up to four TV’s. To my surprise, I get a bill from DirecTv, not AT&T, five days later for $93.76. The bill states that I have a service agreement for 24 months! Nobody ever voiced that little bit of information. I am from Canada and might return there if I cannot find a job, so signing a 2 year contract was completely out of the question.

I then called AT&T on May 1st, 6 days after the installation of DIRECT TV, and spoke to Miss Simons, who transferred me to Ms. Edmonds, who transferred me to Shawna Johnson who then had a conference call with DIRECTTV and myself and still nothing is resolved. DIRECTV told me that I would be charged $480.00 for an early cancellation fee. I do not believe I am responsible for this fee. The lack of communication and crooked sales tactics misled me, and I am sure, many other people.

In short, I never called DIRECTV, I called AT&T and they misled me into thinking that the Directv was part of their package! I am so disturbed by these two companies, that I do not want anything to do with them. I want to send back their equipment and have no further dealings with either of them.

The public does not deserve to be taken advantage of at a time like this, they should be ashamed of their sales tactics and policies.

worst customer service ever!

On Jan. 27th, 2007, I called to cancel my service with DTV because I was moving and needed a cheaper...

stay away - direct tv sucks!

My friend and I had been considering changing from cable to Direct TV. Since my friend is from the Ukraine...

very poor service and unacceptable contract

I have had direct TV now for about three months and have had one problem after another. I had initially...

bad installation and reception!

Direc TV- bad installation and reception most of the time. 5 months after signing up for 2yrs contract with...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices