Avis Rent A Car / scam, fraudulent charges

1 Germany Review updated:

Avis Fraudulent Charges
Avis scammed us. We rented a car from Avis at Frankfurt Airport in Germany during our vacation. From Aug. 26 - Setp. 9, 2010. When we returned the car, a rep. from Avis check the car almost with a microscope, then told us that there was a scratch on the front bumper by the passenger side. we took a look then and saw a scratch no more than 2-inch. He told us that we'll be charged 490.00Euro. He said it's nothing because it should be covered by the credit card we used to rent the car. This is a scam by Avis. The scratch does not even look new, it's was not easy to find, unless you put your face only few inches away.
A few minutes later he gave us a receipt with a picture that he marked there's a scratch at the back bumper!!! So, what is it then?? Back or front??

It does not matter because it all were already there. Avis's scammed us because there was a rental insurance from MasterCard, that covers up to $500.00. That's is why they charged a 490.00 fee for damage. But this is in Germany, so 490.00Euro becomes 690.00 us dollars!!

We are alerting the credit card company that this Avis charge is a fraudulent charge. But my advice is be very careful. Take plenty of pictures of the rental car before you drive off the parking lot. This way you have proof that you did not cause the so call 'scratch' or 'damages', and avoid a scam like the way Avis scammed us.

Comments

29th of Aug, 2018

The Frankfurt Airport Avis rental car scam

We had an experience almost identical to https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/avis-rent-a-car-c377865.html. We obtained the car in an evening when the garage was so dark we had to use a mobile phone to cast light on the car body to establish that sensors (cameras, radar, etc.) weren't dings. When we returned the car, the attendant ducked down and reported a scrape on the underside of the bumper on the passenger side. It was a black cosmetic scrape on a heavy durable plastic black bumper. You wouldn't notice it standing up (even un daylight). As it happens, we had driven the car to one distant location and parked it so there was zero chance we had scraped it. They said I didn't have to sign the bill, but although I didn't they immediately put it through to my credit card. The bill including other costs came to $999 and some cents. By coincidence, friends of ours had a pebble ding their windshield in Iceland this summer and were billed over $900 for a windshield replacement. Perhaps charges under $1000 aren't looked into closely. When I told corporate Avis in the US I would contest this, they said if Frankfurt Avis didn't reply to my complaint in 15 days the charge would be dropped. Frankfurt Avis didn't reply and reportedly I was reimbursed yesterday. My advice, if you are not sure you are at fault, fight the charge, especially with Frankfurt Avis. I'd also recommend downloading all of these complaints about Frankfurt Avis to help make your case to anyone who might help.