Avis Car Rentaloutrageous debit on car scratch

M

Hired a car in Luxembourg Opel Corsa 1200. The car was very slightly scratched by unknown car during parking. Avis employee to whom the car was handed estimated it as not more than 200 Euros. However I was debited 610 Euros as C including 75 Euros for handling the case. The bill from the garage is in French not clear at all. The photo that was finally sent to me looks very strange either. The unwaivable excess defined as maximum 590 Euros but this didn't prevent from these nice guys charging over 600 Euros.

Mark Anderson Mar 03, 2007

A similar story with me. I hired a seat from AVIS on 19/02/2007 and upon return the guy showed me a ding which was so small I had not noticed it all week the proceeded to charge me 200 euros which I refused but which was deducted anyway.

When I returned home I noticed that I had a picture of the car which I had taken within one hour of collection and low and behold, the 'damage' was visible proving to me that the problem already existed. Avis have been completely useless so far in resolving this matter and I would never use them again. I was sure that I wasn't the only person robbed like this and after looking through Google it seems that this ripoff is typical of AVIS so be warned, there are plenty of other decent companies out there. (I have rented cars over the last 20 years with no problems)

• Pr
    Preis Nov 16, 2008

I had a similar experience with Avis in Germany.

Avis charged me 460 euros for a little tiny scratch in the left front bumper. Less than 1 centimeter. It could hardly been noticed.

The thing that made me upset is that the car came with three large scratches when I picked it up. As they probably charged the other customers for these scractches, why didn't they repair the car before renting it again? Are they charging the damage, but never repairing it, and keep renting the car damaged? Isn't it an easy way to make some money?

Sam Nov 20, 2008

I am so pissed... I rented a car from Avis car rentals in New Orlean on the 16th of Nov 08. They charged me $12.95 a day on the rental argeement for three days but when I returned the car they charged me a bill of $211 three days. When I asked them to explained to me my charged no one could have explained to me effeciently. When I examined the bill futher, instead of being charged $12.95 as agreed they charged me $62.95 with 25% interest. Now, when they were challenged they just past me a broucher and I was told to call Customer Service.
    At that point I was so provoked that when I called customer service I was trying to exercise as much tact as I can muster. After 20 mins of mathematical Russian rulet I was give a $75 courtesy refund to shut me up. The customer service rep said with a rude tone that that was their refund limit and if i want anything more I would have to return to the location I rented the car...
    Frustrated and shocked that a company of such reknown status worldwide would rather abase themselves to the point that they bully their customers and prefer to provide tacky service instead of providing world class service and ensuring that their customers are satisfied.
    My advice, ensure that you understand all the details of your rental agreement before moving the car from the lot becuase they don't car for you.

• Tw
    twentysixes Aug 05, 2009

As far as damages go, everytime you damage a rental car, get a signed declaration from any of their reps that clearly states the damage and its repair amount that you will have to pay. That way the declaration turns into a legal document and they won't dare to charge you more.

On the other hand, just extend the rental a few days and get the car fixed yourself. That way you wont be overcharged for repairs.

• Vl
    vlady Oct 26, 2009

if I hit a car that I rent from avis and at the drop off the employ dit not see it and sigh that everything is fine it means that I've escaped or they can still see it and charge me?

• Mi
    Michael. Palmer Sep 20, 2018

Avis& budget rentals. Down town A.st lady. At avis and budget way over charged my visa platnum credit card by $356.change i want my money back or i will get a hudge protest going fast with several hundred people backing my claim up so ive better get a responce fast my name is michael. Palmer

• Kp
    Kpissedoff Jul 07, 2019

We were not told when we landed at the airport that avis would run a credit check and deny us a rental car. Why was this not done at the time of the reservation? If it hadn't been for Alamo our vacation would have been ruined.

• Jy