Best Buyfraudulent charges

T

I purchased about 600 dollars of merchandise from Best Buy at 18 months interest free. I attempted to pay my bill online on December 26, 2008. My payment was not due until 8 days later on January 3, 2009. When I got online, I learned that the payment could not be paid because I was too late.

Eight days prior to my bill being due, was too late according to Best Buy. I was charged a $39.00 late fee.

I receive my bills online. No paper bills. I did not receive a bill online which payment was due on February 3, 2009. Once again I was charged a $39, 00 late charge by Best Buy. I believe they are fraudulently charging customers late fees.

I closed my account soon after the second late fee.

• Ramelle Jun 03, 2016

When ordering online it is best to do it early especially during the busiest shopping and shipping time of the year. Did you check your spam folder for the e-mail? If not read they are usually auto- deleted after a certain amount of time, depending on your settings.

• Je
    jennycade Jun 03, 2016

Never again will I do business with this company. They offered online sales for Boxing Day, give a valid confirmation number to the order, and then cancel the order without any warning days before your expected delivery. Best Buy offered no explanation other than it was my fault for not responding to an email which I never received.
    Now my son is no longer waiting for his Christmas present. Nice to know. I would recommend not wasting any of your time or effort dealing with this company who doesn't back their promises and misleads the public.
    Shame on you bestbuy, and Happy Holidays if you and yours actually received anything you ordered. I am assuming you did your shopping somewhere else.
    Thank you for ruining my son's holiday.
    Jennifer Wilkinson

ROGER RAYMOND Mar 19, 2015

My Best Buy / City Bank problems continue. Not only did I get charged for renewal that I did not receive, but now I am getting additional late charges. I had notified Best Buy that I nolonger have a computer with any of their programs on it and that this was an automatic renewal which I am sure they are doing thousands, stealing thousands of dollars every day from the public,

The thief squad said that they would settle this but it would take about three weeks. Now six weeks later nothing! I have notified City Bank, cancelled the card and filed a complaint with City Bank. Three weeks later and still nothing. City Bank also calls me every day on my work phone giving me a record of the daily calls. City Bank is nothing other that an enforcer for a thief.

ROGER RAYMOND Mar 03, 2015

I have the same problem. They said it was an automatic renewal, The problem is that I received nothing. I nolonger have that computer so I refused to pay Citybank. I closed the account realizing that Best Buy could charge anything to my account and Citybank would do
    nothing but want there money. Best Buy and Citybank are partners in crime. My advise to everyone not to get the Best Buy credit card. Best Buy and Citybank steal thousands of dollars weekly through false charges.

• Al
    alfamale Jan 16, 2013

I can't wait to hear these people at Best Buys have gone out of business, This is the worst store I ever have been in, And I will never ever in my life go back to best buys for anything, I don't care if they are the cheapest in town, I would rather pay more than be treated like I am a fool, and I guess that is right I am a fool for shopping at Best Buys

• Ri
    RiaLeD Oct 22, 2012

Aug 6th, Best Buy charged me $42.39 for a virus protection subscription that was not authorized by me. I called them 6 days after posting to request a credit. They said they would issue a credit. 21 days later, credit wasn't issued. I called again and was told it would take TWO billing cycles before credit would be issued. I called again two weeks ago and was told to call back after October 11th when after second billing cycle was recorded. I called back on the 20th of October and was told the information was lost and they would resubmit. I think Best Buy is having financial problems. Had to dispute this with my credit card company. They found in my favor and will issue the credit against Bust Buy. Best Buy is must be having financial problems and this is their way of hanging on to extra cash. When I said this to the last BB service rep., she replied, "I am tired of people saying that to me!" Hmmmm, must be others having the same problem getting their unauthorized charges reversed and/or getting their accounts credited for returned merchandise. I am writing the Attorney Generals office about this.

• Ge
    GeekSquad1016 Oct 17, 2012

think about it, you open the box and there is no dvd. in the eyes of the customoer service agent, you have a new dvd that you purchased, and now its gone? How do you think the company would do if everytime someone came up saying that there was no dvd in the box and you want a new one, they just keep giving you new ones. I dont doubt you as a citizen, but others. You may be a middle aged woman that would rip someone off, but someone else will, where do they draw the line?

• Va
    valdostafactchecker May 27, 2012

So BestBuy sent it to HP and your pissed with Best Buy? Makes no sense, So it was 4 days outta warranty? guess you shoulda have got the extended warranty that best buy offers. Great Store Love the place

• Wa
    wayne kincaid May 13, 2012

well this is the third time that i have to take this comp that i bought with a full 1 yr warrenty for a replacement of the harddrive
    how many times in a worrenty do i have to take it before the lemon law goes into effect
    ?? kincaidwayne @yahoo.com

Howrider May 10, 2012

Watch out when you order online from this company..I bought a camera from them and don't think that it was new.It just did not seem right the box and the way it was packed..I think they gave me a sent back camera..I used it 2 times and it died on me..Best Buy should change it's name to Scam Buy...Know wonder why they don't keep cameras in there stores..They say go online to order cameras...Don't trust this store...

• Nc
    ncoclub Mar 12, 2012

If you already purchased the computer they were dead wrong for not letting you check it out. If you didn't then they were right...witch was it?

Hoomake Feb 09, 2012

Best Buy Miami has the worst employees in the business. Refused to open box so that we could inspect a new computer. Told us there would be a restocking charge to open it. Employees are arrogant and abusive.

online shper Jan 18, 2012

I am sure they changed the price rightaway. It happend to me many times. They are really bad at online customer service.

online shper Jan 18, 2012

How ridiculous,
    I was on bestbuy.com to buy some kinect games. Found a Kinect game “Once upon a monster” sku#2842757. The website says $9.99 when I clicked on “Buy It” it came to $29.99. I called customer service rightaway, they said “it’s an error” comeon………….. I hate bestbuy.

• Hu
    Hucena Nov 29, 2011

I purchased an iPod Shuffle from a kiosk at Minneapolis Airport. The machine did not issue a receipt. I now need a receipt and Best Buy has not been able to give me one: I have called customer service and been transferred, put on hold, and referred to various numbers/departments to try to obtain a receipt (in total, more than 45 minutes on the phone). I have not been able to speak to anyone who can issue me a receipt.

• Sh
    Sheryl Bracker Nov 28, 2011

I purchased a pay as you go phone form Best buy and was asked if I wanted to purchase the 2 year insurance policy for this phone. I was told that it covered Accidental Damage and since this was for a 15 year boy I jumped on it. It was also placed in a brosure with the reciept stating the same thing. I am now told 3 months owning the phone that for pay as you go phones that accidental damage is not covered under this policy. Shame on Best buy once again ripping off the consumer I will never step in your store again I will also post this on fcace book for all my friends to see so maybe they wont either. Do you sleep well at night?????

• Wh
    whydotheylie Nov 18, 2011

Pre-ordered and pre-paid for a video game. On release date, went to pick it up and was told it had sold out. How can you sell out of a pre-paid item? Broke a little boys heart. This is the third time I've been screwed by Best Buy in one way or another.

• Un
    UncleBob Sep 06, 2011

I guess he gets turned down a lot, but I bet he gets more than what he's turned down for.

Annette5211 Aug 22, 2011

I purchased a cell phone back in may of this year within the month . The phone started to malfunction but best buy refuse to issue me a new device. I where told to return the phone to geek squad. I would receive a ift card with i 15 business day. It has nearly beeen a a month no response from connsumer relation or geek squad. Dishonest ccompany do not do businee with BEST BUY or GEEK SQUAD.

• Be
    best buy sucks Jun 15, 2011

I order a camera from Best Buy. I have waited for more than a month and it never comes. I call them, and got hung up. Sucks!

Jackson Rosario May 24, 2011

Best buy is the worst buy ever fukin Jack ###

• Di
    Dino May 15, 2011

Spoke to Mr VISH HP REP 2/3/2008 1:06AM Case # [protected] Nick or Dino CFO# JZN27401 Fed Ex Tracking #[protected] Receiver is Taylor 2780 Horizon Ridge ct Suwannee GA 30024 Hp Pavillion DV6258 SE Notebook Prod# RP168UA Serial# CNF6524XQN Registered Feb 9, 2007 Reseller Support [protected] Reseller Support Supplies [protected] never got back to us

rolex452 Feb 11, 2011

I purchased a desktop computer from Best Buy approx. one year ago. I agreed to pay the "optimization set up" fee, so they can clean the extra junk off the new hard disk, and install a good antivirus program, then get the internet and e-mail set up for me so I didn't have to do all of this work myself (which I am quite capable of doing, but was too busy at the time). When I got the computer back home, ALMOST NOTHING WORKED PROPERLY!
    The Kaspersky Anti-Virus program was installed, BUT IT WAS NOT RUN TO COMPLETE THE INITIAL SETUP, so I had to do that myself. I went into the Windows startup area of the registry, and found that Best Buy didn't turn off ANY UTILITIES that I didn't need or want. They didn't run a virus check, a defragment, or a registry scan, install Window Live e-mail, NOTHING! Rather than waste time giving a brand new computer back to those lazy idiots, I did the initial setup and cleanup myself, and it took hours. JUST BUY THE COMPUTER FROM BEST BUY, DON'T BUY THEIR DAMN WORTHLESS SERVICES OR WARRANTIES!!!

• Sg
    sgabekahn Feb 11, 2011

Hi, I'm writing an article about customers who've had problems with Best Buy's Optimization policy. If you or someone you know has been charged for this set-up fee for a desktop or laptop, please email me at [email protected]

Thanks,

Gabe Kahn

• Gn
    gnarkill5821 Aug 13, 2010

At any Best Buy at any given time you will speak to incompetent, rude, careless, and/or lazy employees. They have low standards for hiring.

• Ar
    arthurd Aug 10, 2010

i love my valery home. i purchased it three years ago and have had no problems to speak of. this is my wife and I s third valery home and they have done a great job on all of them. we have made a ton of money on the previous two homes and look forward to purchasing a forth Valery home very soon!!!

• Ak
    Aklementi Aug 04, 2010

My new printer is not responding. I have filed several complaints but there is no response. If it continues like this may complain to the company myself.

Rokave Jul 28, 2010

I purchased beanstak computer from alfa computers patiala. computer stop working they got repaired. after some day mouce stops working. they repaired after some day it again stop working they refuse to register the complaint.

• Ga
    galeshade Jul 26, 2010

I had a bad experience, they told me 700 to get a new lcd screen for my laptop, I went home and found out I could get the screen for 149 dollars from toshiba . These people are out to get you. The geek that I talked to never even checked out the system just told me that was what I needed.
    come on now.

• Li
    LikeItOrNot12 Jul 26, 2010

I am extremely delayed in posting this complaint, however due to another extremely unfortunate experience with Best Buy, it compelled me to make a point in letting the public know how this company truly operates.

Let's start with today.

My husband and I own/operate a small company of about 15-20 people. Although we were at capacity, a woman came to us basically begging for a job, and we caved. We were out of computers, so we high-tailed it to Best Buy, the closest location selling computers. (Might I add if we weren't in such a hurry I would NOT have opted to shop here!)

So we found a full workstation for sale at $599. We get to the counter, check-out, and low and behold... they don't have the monitor in stock. Credit card already charged, (conveniently) and wham - no monitor. We also didn't notice at first, but they added a $59.99 service fee without advising us or getting our consent. They had to do a seperate credit to our card for this overcharge.

So they tell us the monitor will come in a shipment at 5:00pm that night. Meanwhile, it's a 20 minute drive from our home to make the trip back. Rather inconvenient for their error, I might say. Doing as told, we arrive at 5:15pm. Shocker... no monitor! I'm not going to lie, I embarassed my husband and demanded a replacement monitor, or they could pay for my gas and time to/from their store, plus a day's interest on my credit card for charging me without having the items available.

Finally a manager came over to replace it. Funny, but they wanted to do ANOTHER charge to my debit card - for the full amount. WARNING: This is classic Best Buy behavior. Both charges will hit your debit card, and it will take up to 5 days for those funds to reverse. So basically Best Buy/your debit card company sits on your cash interest free, while you lose access to your own money. I called them out on this, and magically the Manager found a way to rering it without having to charge my card again.

Now moving on to over X-Mas:

My husband's Uncle is an elderly man, with absolutely no computer savvy. We sent him $700 to buy himself a laptop for X-Mas, as after being out of work for 12 months, he finally had an opportunity to help operate a landscaping company. We figured the computer would help him stay organized.

He took our money and went into Best Buy, telling "Kevin", the Sales Rep, exactly what he was looking for. He indicated he wanted the smallest/cheapest laptop they had. (Now mind you that Best Buy was advertising Netbooks, etc. for $199 over Christmas.)

Kevin convinces Uncle that he needs a 'certain' laptop in order to operate the internet. (LIE!) He also tells him that he has to sign-up with the Geek Squad in order to use the internet, because ONLY Best Buy can get him an email address with Google. (Are you kidding me...?)

Some of this sounded so ridiculous, we told our Uncle to wait until we flew home to check things out.

When we got there, the computer wasn't even out of the plastic yet. The box had been taped shut by Best Buy with green tape.

I look at the receipt, and they've charged him $549 for the laptop, $129 for Geek Squad, and $79 for some anti-spy software that "Kevin" indicated our Uncle just HAD to have or the internet wouldn't work right. What a joke!

So I walked into that same Best Buy, and put the computer on the counter to return it. Afterall, it had never even been turned on. The "Manager" tells me we should look for an exchange, so we did. We were advised if we didn't find an exchange, there would be a 15% restocking fee. We were fine with that. However, if you haven't guessed... everything was out of stock. There was nothing equivalent or less expensive.

We went back up to the counter, and the Manager of the Geek Squad comes strolling up to the counter with a mouth full of food, telling us it will be at least 20 minutes while they inventory the computer. So we wait.

We're called back up to the counter to THEN be told we couldn't return it. Why? Because it was already opened. Ummm... yes it was opened. By the Geek Squad he was told he just HAD to have! (They also lied to him and told him all he had to do was turn it on and he'd have internet. Bull! A total and complete lie!) I indicated I was confused... Why did the Geek Squad have to spend 20 minutes 'scrubbing' the computer if they knew within the first 5 seconds it was already opened and we couldn't return it?

I then asked for a refund of the Geek Squad fee and this virus software - still in the case. This Geek Squad Manager, (now chomping gum in his mouth) told me he bought the software, and he couldn't return it. I couldn't even understand the guy and asked him to take his gum out so he could articulate properly. He told me, (and I quote) "I need to deal with it. He'd rather be chewing gum than have bad breath, and he never gets a chance to eat." Wow! This is my problem HOW?

So after being berated, they handed us back the computer box.

We walked towards the front door, and I stopped to ask the Security Guard if he could get me the Store Manager, not just some Geek Squad department Manager. Meanwhile, while walking to the door, the bottom of the box fell out, and the laptop goes crashing on the floor, plastic pieces going in all directions. Apparently the lovely Geek Squad didn't package the computer right, leaving out all the protective packaging. The computer lay in a pile on the floor.

As the Geek Squad counter witnesses this all, they send over a 18-20 year old black girl, complete with sagging pants, ghetto personality/vocabulary, and head bob. She tells me that SHE'S the Manager, albeit her shirt says Customer Service Associate, or something of the like. She tells me that we need to leave the store, the Manager is busy, and that there's nothing they will do for us. So we walked out with broken laptop in hand, worthless software, and over $100 in bogus Geek Squad fees.

Want to know the most interesting part? Not once did they ask whom the sales rep was to see if there was a sales/Management issue. Not once did they want an explanation of what occurred. And even better... as I walked out the door they were still trying to convince me that without paying for the software or the Geek Squad fees that our Uncle wouldn't have had access to a Google email account.

WORDS OF WISDOM:

- Always check your receipt!
    - Don't get coerced into some bogus Geek Squad fees!
    - SHOP ELSEWHERE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

• Ia
    IaK89 Jun 14, 2010

The way the Best Buy Reward Zone is managed creates a dis-incentive for me to shop there. I won't shop Best Buy again unless it the last resort. Their loyalty program is just a trick to entice customers but then cheat them out of the touted benefits.

• Sc
    Scormik May 18, 2010

Went to the local best buy and was confronted by one rude employee after another. More like not really working then anything. I know for these kinds of jobs you cant have the best all the time but you need to get people that are at least trying to work. Too many people out there would take the job and really want to work.

Please contact me for info on the store and what you plan to do about htis.

• Jk
    Jkoe1978 May 11, 2010

www.cablewholesale.com. Those cables would be half as expensive as what Big Lots has them for.

• Th
    Thinkolle May 04, 2010

I am trying to get a new flat screen tv for christmas this year. The local Best Buy seems to be having sales but i cant get a clear read on what the price should be. They seem to be changing all the time. Does anyone at Best Buy know where i can find some real prices on TVs so i can shop them a bit.

Honey Apr 26, 2010

I saw Avatar listed in a Best Buy sales paper for 22.99. I get to the store and I see a sign stating that this was a mistake and it is 29.99. It is a shame that Best Buy chose not to honor the price listed in the sales paper and online especially since Wal-Mart is selling it for 19.96. I am planning on buying new appliances but after this bad form I will be buying them elsewhere.

• Sh
    Shizlle Jan 18, 2010

Screen went blank after 4 days past warranty. hp lap top from bestbuy . they charged me a total of $160 for shipping and dianostic to hp. hp said hd was blown, will fix for $450. no send it back to bestbuy and i will pick up.i took it home put the battery back in and fooled with it some more and now it works perfect. (i know nothing about laptops, but the hd was not blown.it was a geek squad person that started this ordeal.

onaclearday Jan 15, 2010

I completely agree, this was fraud.

AnonymousGal Jan 07, 2010

I purchased a desk top computer from best buy for xmas and I am already having problems with the computer. I tried contacting them with the problem and they are putting the blame on me. They are saying that the problems are because of the fact that I do not know how to use a computer! I have not used it for anything besides checking my business email! How is that my fault.

• Be
    Bernard Jaramillo Dec 31, 2009

Alarm Install was schedule for 1:00pm on thursday, when I arrived for the install the person it was scheduled for 12:00 pm
    wanted to reschedule. Sounds like the GEEK Squad is getting to independent of the store. They need to get their act together. In the future I will never again shop at BEST BUY.

• Li
    Linda Medrano Dec 24, 2009

Best Buy doesn't stand behind their products they sell. Buy a warranty and that is a joke!! Bottom line DO NOT BUY FROM BEST BUY!! THEY SELL DEFECTED PRODUCTS!! I have a $4500 Sony TV that is defected and Best Buy, Sony and the warranty I bought means nothing. BEST BUY could care less!!!