Resolved Walmartbiased return policy!

I have been a loyal walmart customer for over 20 years, spending thousands of dollars there. In that amount of time I probably returned 3 things to that store. I have never had a problem until this new policy there of returns went into effect. I had received a gift of a digital camera, which was too complicated for me to use, and given as an anonymous gift for a mission trip to me at our church. They did not leave receipt or name, for obvious reasons but did put a note on it that it was bought at walmart. It was sku'd at Walmart and they sell this camera.

When I brought it in, I explained the situation. I was told that, the only thing they would do is... give me another camera. I didn't want money back, but a gift card so I could purchase things for kids for Christmas that wouldn't have anything. They refused to do that, even though they sku'd the camera up, it showed in stock. They said it was due to the money involved. Well, they had no problem TAKING the money for the camera. It was in an unopened box, with tape still attached. The sign at Walmart says they are ready to always satisfy the customer with return, credit or repair. I didn't want another camera==why bring a camera back that you aren't going to use, to only get another one? Makes no sense at all.

Had I bought 600.00 worth of merchandise and returned it all, there would not have been a problem. However, because I returned an ELECTRONICS item, there was. I feel as though they are now treating all their customers as thieves, since they refuse to return ANY electronic item. Had they looked my name up, they would have seen my many, MANY purchases over the years there.

This is so wrong and I am hoping that someone will see this, contact me and allow these kids to get a Christmas, instead of a camera sitting in a closet, collecting dust.

• Valerie Dec 07, 2006

Can't blame Wal-Mart for this. In their eyes you are returning an item without a receipt and asking for cash. Think about it. If you were manager and people were returning items for cash with no form of receipt what would you do? Soon you would close up for lack of money. You know that the camera was purchased there but a sealed box even with the SKU on it means nothing. Maybe you can post a note at church asking for the donor to provide the receipt. One thing here does disturb me. The camera was intended for you to use on a mission. You want to return it in order to buy gifts for the kids. If I was the camera donor I would have been upset that there were no pictures of the children displayed at church because I believe that was the intent of the camera.

• Am
    Amanda Currie Feb 27, 2007

I have to agree with PassingBy. I mean, you got a gift for free... sorry you didn't like it. That's not wal-mart's fault. Just because it had a note stuck to it saying it came from from wal-mart does not mean that wal-mart has to give you $600. The problem wasn't because it was an electronics item - it was because you didn't have a receipt, because it was a gift. Sell it on e-bay if you really want the money that bad, or give it to someone who really wants it. Either way, you're not out any money since it was a gift. Jeez. Some Christian you are!

Someone gave you the camera to use on a church mission, not to buy your kids gifts. I'm sorry they didn't get Christmas, but that's not wal-mart's fault. If whoever gave you the camera hadn't given it to you, they still wouldn't be having Christmas. So, lady, what's your problem?

• Ri
    Rick Sep 15, 2007

At one time, you probably could have done what you wanted to do. All of the other, dishonest customers, ruined that for the rest of us. Stores have no choice now but to tighten their return and refund policies.

How much should they lose due to shoplifted items being returned with the "oops, I lost my receipt" excuse?
    How often should they have to take back items which have been used and can (should) not be resold?

By the way, Walmart doesn't give a hoot how much you spend there. Do you think whatever it is you spend there is even a drop in the bucket of their bottom line? Unless you spend 5-6 figures there each and every month, a store the size of Walmart isn't even going to notice your going away.

An Associate Nov 25, 2007

I JUST WANT TO LET THE PUBLIC KNOW HOW THE REAL "WAL-MART" TREAT THEIR EMPLOYEES. I WORK AT WAL-MART, AND THERE ARE THREE EMPLOYEES THAT I KNOW ARE BEING EVICTED FROM THEIR HOME OR APARTMENT AND WAL-MART WILL NOT HELP THEM AND THEY ARE LONG TERM ASSOCIATES. WAL-MART WILL TREAT A DOG BETTER THAN THEY TREAT THEIR EMPLOYEES. The store that I am referring to is #5363 in Love Joy, GA. I know for a fact that cutting the associates hours is part of the reason this is happening.

An Associate Nov 25, 2007

Wal-Mart store #5363 in Love Joy, GA need to fire all of the present management staff and hire all new managers, that treat the associates like they are human beings. That store is one of the worse stores in Georgia. I wish I had enough time to report all of the things that go on at that store. I can not use my name in this complaint, because they (managers) will make an example of me to the others. Most of the long term employees are afraid to say anything, because they WILL get fired.

• Ho
    Holly B Jan 02, 2008

Last year my mother very thrilled about being a grandmother again went and purchased me some maternity clothes very early in my pregnancy which i lost beofre any of the items were worn. I took them back to the store with reciept in hand and was told that i could only exchange for clothing items. That was fine with me being at a season change i knew my 3 year old would be needing some new clothes so I went and picked some clothes out for her. I returned to the "Customer Service" to be told they I could only exchange for items from the same department. So I asked before going through the store if that would mean from the womens department. I was told no it had to be the maternity section. Finally after having to voice my heartache to a CSM and 2 managers I was allowed "against company policy" to exchange for clothing items out of the womens department only. It was a big pain in the ###.

• Sh
    Shaun Mar 06, 2008

I had a similar problem with my walmart, Seriously how much money dose that company make? Only 3 % of guest return or complain and the rest don't return at all. So what you get a scammer once in a while is it not worth it to take care of your REAL LOYAL guest and roll the dice. Add up what you spend at a walmart in a month a few hundred bucks, and Thay cant return the favor with TRUST? Sad, Sad...Shame on WAL_MART SHame.

• Bu
    buzzard Mar 28, 2008

I'm just amased how in store 1739 ( Washington, Pa ) that Wal-Mart can fire two assocates that worked there for 15 years for telling there family members that the department manager marked down a toy in her department. The family members did come in and purchase the toy, but Wal-Mart LP fired the two assocates, but not the department manager who did the mark down and told them about the mark down. Looks like a setup to me. Wal-mart is well known for getting rid of any long time assocates. If you work there and you get close to 7 years in, be on guard, they are coming after you.

Martha Foulks May 29, 2008

To the management of Walmart of Amite, La.
    I was in walmart on 05/28/08 at 2:32pm
    I went to shop for office supplies and
    paper products for my business. When I was there I found that the shelves where not well
    stocked and the prices where not on shelves
    for the customer to know how much they would have been charged. Also, products where in
    baskets.I found that the appearence of the parking lot was full of buggies and the greeter always are sitting down. The store always has trash around. The bathrooms are in much need for cleaning. I would like to say customer service is much to be desired.

• Re
    Rebekah Jun 05, 2008

The first few posters are an example of the idiocy that Wal-Mart is soaked in. They couldn't be bothered to really read your whole post, and decided to insult you for asinine assumptions. Wanting store credit to buy gifts for underprivileged children became wanting cash back for your own kids. Wal-Mart isn't the problem, it's just a symptom of the arrogant and self righteous lazy thinking that so many people love to do.

It's people like that that allow the Wal-Marts of the world to continue to do whatever they want to.

• Rb
    R. Burton Jun 12, 2008

Bloommington, Ind. WalMart evacuated due to bomb threat, tells employee's if they want paid for their scheduled hours to drive 20 miles away and finish shift at Martinsville WalMart or Sams Club. What a great Company to work for!

• Ca
    Caryn Aug 01, 2008

Dishonest people ruin it for the rest of us. Try to sell the camera on ebay for close to retail since it is unopened.

• Le
    lester kelton Aug 02, 2008

I have had my oil change @ Wal-Mart on Charlotte Pike in Nashville Tn for Years. I was in there on 8/2/08 for about two hrs to get a Value Plus oil change .They did not all that the Vaule Plus calls for .The only work that they did was change oil, and top off washer fluid.My receipt # was st# 0659, op#00007390, te#90, tr#6935
    Thanks Lester Kelton

• Ri
    Ritchie Aug 12, 2008

Why not give the camera as a gift?

• Su
    Susan Oct 06, 2008

Corning, NY
    Just want to add that I NEVER have problems in Horseheads, NY or Mansfield, PA location. Just Corning.

I bought a Philips web-cam & headset combo for about $20. Not a big deal, but my hard earned money nonetheless. After getting it home, I found the headset was missing. So I took it back, and using the receipt, even exchanged it for the last one on the shelf. From there, I can't say what happened to the receipt, or if I even got it back during the course of the exchange for that matter.
    The second one, I found, didn't work at all, not even for a second. So I took it back. Since I couldn't find the receipt, I figured I'd even exchange it again even though I had been having bad luck. For a couple weeks, they didn't have the same web-cam, or any for that matter. They had maybe one of the most expensive one there. Finally, they got another Philips in stock, but it was a newer model, so I came to the conclusion I got the last of the passing model. I didn't figure this to be a problem, because the new model was the same price.
    In the meantime, I left the defective product boxed up (the headset had never even been removed the plastic packaging) on a sill in front of bay windows. In no time, the box yellowed slightly, giving it an aged effect.
    When I took the product in, they scanned it at the door to put the return tag on it. No problem. UPC came up, as well as the price. I got the other web-cam for the same price and went to the service desk. I also grabbed another web-cam (one for me, one for my husband, as he now is traveling for work), a different brand, as I still didn't have faith in the Philips brand. I paid for the one while my sister waited at the service desk to exchange the other. After checking out my cart full of goodies (silly me for spending a dime there), I went to the service desk. Even though the item had the UPC sticker on it for the return (obviously they had sold it there) the girl claimed she would have to call electronics for them to verify they sell it there. I could tell that she was thinking it was old by the way she was looking the box over. The electronics representative came up and denied the refund. They claimed that without a receipt to "PROVE" that I purchased it from them, they couldn't even do an even exchange. Funny. I have NEVER had that problem before, even with other items from the electronics department that had cost much more! I told the girl to forget it, I wasn't going to purchase another Philips one then. I wasn't going to spend more money on a brand that had let me down twice now. She apologized. Although the way it was said, I'm not sure it was sincere. I have contacted Wal-Mart corporate in regards to the matter, as well as Philips.
    And the other web-cam I got, a higher priced (supposedly better quality one) from a different manufacturer works TERRIBLY! There are lines across the image and no matter what I do or what adjustments I make in the picture, I can't get rid of them. I WILL be taking this one back with my receipt for a refund and going to Target to purchase one like I ended up getting for my husband. It was cheaper in price and the clarity of the image is fantastic.
    It's not about the amount you spend, it's about bing treated with respect and like a person, rather than a fraud and a crook.
    I used to work the customer service desk at a retailer and I know how the return system works. When an item is marked defective, it is sent back to the manufacturer for credit. Wal-Mart would not have lost out at all by doing an even exchange. I would have gotten another camera (hopefully that worked) and they would have sent the defective one back to Philips who would have given them credit for the faulty good. Instead, I now take my business elsewhere. Good thing for Target. My printer is showing signs it may fail soon and I'm going to be needing a new one. Bummer Wal-Mart...
    Oh, and don't get me started about the time I had a prescription filled at the Wal-Mart Pharmacy. 1 hour and 45 minutes for ONE pill! Then there was the time they claimed they didn't get the prescription that was called in by the hospital for pain killers after child birth. Turns out no one had checked their voice messaging prescription line for over 28 hours...I complained to the store manager without so much as an apology. Thank God for Eckerds. And Wegmans. And K Mart. Hmmm. Looks like I won't be needing Wal-Mart anymore anyways.

• Pa
    Paula Gentile Oct 26, 2008

I think you should use camera for purpose it was given or ask church to announce to donor
    that you are not in need of the camera but if they would supply reciept and with their permission you would then give the money to the churchs fund for the Christmas items. You are asking too much and not realy legitimately returning the item.
    Now I bought a can opener one that goes around the can itself for my disabled husband, it worked fine, not the kind of thing I would keep a reciept for, around 14.99. But about 2 month and a few days out it jammed, I can't get the lid out of it and can't get it opened even after contacting manufacturer for help, no good. I went to Walmart one morning from work did not have it with me but asked girl at service counter what can I do, She said if they still have the same item they would give me a new one, but no money back. I said great Wrong, when I got there tonight I went and got a new one from the shelf brought it up and this snippy, snotty, floor manager named SUsan (Won't give last name) told me we don't know you bought it here. I said lady ask anyone, they all know me and my husband we come here every other day to shop and we ride Handicap carts, I can assure you it was bought here. No good miss snotty face said we looked up to see if one was sold in the last 90 days, and guess what miss snotty pants didn't know that their records only go back 6 weeks unless you have the exact date of purchase, DAH! Do you remember the day you bought your last can opener. So I am stuck and from what I read on here I may as well not waste my time complaining about it. It also could have been returned to the maker for credit by Walmart. Walmart Just Like polititians, they tell you who they are and what they offer and how great they are but its all lies and they lie about it so often, that even with evidence to the contrary they still believe it.
    Walmart of MOUNT DORA, FLORIDA you have a K-MART right across the street and TARGET down the Steet as well as BIG-LOTS, you won't be seeing us anymore, anyway your prices have gone up so much its not really an advantage to shop there, you get one thing cheap and then ripped off by something else, PS alot of your merchandise stinks, I wonder how much of it is really seconds or sub-quality rejects that still pass as sellable. Perhaps some authority should look into it, like the Health department for your produce dept, there and weights and measures at the Deli Counter.
    SAYONARA oh yeah and all the UN AMERICAN IMPORTS.

• Ky
    kyle hall Nov 11, 2008

I bought a lcd tv in june and it stopped working in oct., I took it back to walmart with receipt and they said I had to call Sanyo, I have called them for over twenty hours and they refuse to do anything, theykeep saying they will call me back and they never do, I called walmart to complain that there supplier is not honoring there warrantees and they refuse to contact Sanyo or do anything, , , Help, What can I do?

• As
    ashleyann Dec 23, 2008

an associate from electronics and photo isnt called up for the purpose to verify whether or not the item is sold there (the computer can do that) they need to check and make sure your not returning it with missing pieces or whatnot and to verify that the serial numbers match up =)

• Te
    Tell The Truth Feb 03, 2009

I know why Walmart did not give you your refund, there is a huge scam out there right now and Walmart has been there main target, this is how the thiefs do it, they go into a Walmart store they find an item thats say 5.00 dollars then they go find a item say 150.00 dollars then they place the 5.00 dollar ticket on the bar code of the 150.00 dollar item go find the most vulnerable check out girl, and keep her busy, the thief then tries to leave the big 150.00 box in the buggy and trys to have the girl just scan the 5.00 dollar bar code, they pay for the low price and out the door they go, this is why Walmart is not giving any money or giftcards, and I dont blame them, this is a huge scam, I learned about this from my sisters who were doing this, I couldnt believe this, now they have over a million dollars in products in there homes, that have never been opened, sometimes I want to pick up the phone and tell the police, it makes me sick, this has been going on for years with them, in fact when they go into any stores in there area they are watched and have even been barred from coming back in, so what do they do, they get there kids involved, taking back stuff and marking down stuff like they do, and if that isnt bad enough they are selling the stuff on eBay and other websites, I feel so bad for Walmart this scam has hurt the good hard working people in this Country because in the end we have to pay for this kind of behavior, it is almost now like an epidemic, and they have taught other people to do this. I do not blame Walmart if you dont have a receipt then no refunds, this has to stop these stores can not keep taking these terrible loses and stay in business. I wish my sisters would get caught in there scams. I am sad they are like this, Ps my siter Velma husband makes over 300, 000 a year there is no reason for her to do this. IT NEEDS TO STOP

• Do
    donna daugherty Mar 03, 2009

I will never shop at wallmart again. I will go 300 miles to a k-mart first. I am a 63 year old woman and I spend a lot of money at wallmart. But your return policy stinks so do your employers. my nane is Donna Daugherty and I can be reached at 614- 670-5194 Ilive in Columbus Ohio. wallmart will never get another cent from me or any one I know family or friends.

• Pu
    Pudge88 May 22, 2009

First off, the anononymous donor of the camera was doing a very nice thing for you and could have gotten a gift receipt when they purchased the item; however, I'm sure they didn't want to do that so it WOULDN'T be returned for the money. If it is too complicated, you could have read the manual or had someone that is more familiar with digital cameras show you how to use it. To try and return it, with no receipt, is a red flag in their eyes, plain and simple. I have had to return things and most of the time I have the receipt and have no problem whatsoever. When I have lost the receipt, I just hope to get either an even swap, if it is defective.
    Wal-mart has their policies on returns, which are clearly posted and are pretty much the industry standard. I seriously doubt that Target, Kmart, Costco, etc would allow items to be returned, without receipt, for a full refund of money. You would have run into the same issue there too. Put the blame where it deserves to be, with regards to your Christmas, don't blame Walmart just because they are an easy target.

• Wal-Mart has NEVER given gift cards for electronics without a receipt. They`re not biased just because you`re black, white, blue, whatever. It doesn`t matter how special you think you are, just because you say you`ve shopped there for 20 years. "Oh my gosh!!" She`s been here 20 years!! Bow to her!!" You are not special. You do not matter. Wal-Mart does not, and never will give a crap. Have a problem with it? Shop somewhere else. I`ve worked at Wal-Mart for 2 years now and you can ### and moan to every manager in the freaking store and you`re not going to get what you want. Our store won`t even do an exchange for anything over $20 without a receipt, and won`t pull your credit card history either. Wal-Mart is a crappy place to shop or work, they don`t even a ### about their customers or employees. For all of you other people complaining: DON'T SHOP AT WALMART THEN. Why does the place look and run like crap? They have /maybe/ one person in each department and expect the pissed off and overworked employees they do have to pick up the slack when they really just want to pour lighter fluid all over the building and burn it to the ###ing ground. Stop being freaking cheapskates and go pay more money to get some actual service.

• Li
    LITTLEJON Sep 04, 2009

NOTHING LIKE PURCHASING AN ITEM, USE IT FOR A WHILE (6 MONTH OR SO) THEN PURCHASE AN IDENTICAL ITEM AND TAKE THE OLD ONE BACK. DON'T FOGET THE RECEIPT. THIS IS WHAT IS KNOW AS WAL-MART RENTAL.

• Mi
    Michelle2796 Mar 19, 2010

OKAY I HAVE READ MOST OR ALL OF THESE COMMENTS.

LOL WHERE DO I START...FIRST ABOUT THE CAMERA...THE REASON FOR THE NO RETURN POLICY WITH NO RECEIPT...IT WAS PROBABLY STOLEN...THEY DO NOT!!! HAVE TO TAKE YOUR WORD THAT IT WAS A GIFT...GET OVER IT!!!

SECOND...THE ONE WITH THE CLOTHES...YOU DO NOT...I REPEAT...DO NOT HAVE TO EXCHANGE FOR CLOTHES IN THE SAME DEPARTMENT...THAT IS NOT A COMPANY POLICY!!!

LAST...SOME WALMART STORES MIGHT SHOW NO CONCERN FOR THEIR EMPLOYEES...THAT IS NOT!!! COMPANY WIDE...ITS YOUR STORE...YOUR MANAGMENT.

THEY DO HAVE A ASSOCIATES IN CRITICAL NEED PROGRAM...I KNOWI HAVE USED IT...I WAS ABOUT TO BE EVICTED AND WALMART GAVE ME A $1000 DOLLAR CHECK...THAT I DID NOT HAVE TO PAY BACK. IF YOUR MANAGMENT WONT TELL YOU ABOUT IT YOU NEED TO GO TO YOUR MARKET HR REP...ALSO ABOUT LAYING OFF LONG TERM ASSOCIATES...THATS BULL CRAP...THERE HAS TO BE A REASON WHY THEY WERE FIRED...IF THERE WAS NO REASON THEN GOTO COURT OR CALL THE HOME OFFICE. IF YOU DONT WANNA TAKE THE TIME TO DO THAT THEN YOU PROBABLY DESERVED TO BE FIRED.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST...IF YOUR STORE IS CUTTING HOURS IT IS BECAUSE YOUR STORES SELLS!!! 95% OF THE TIME SALES ARE LOW DUE TOO BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE. MY STORE HAS A ORIENTATION ALMOST EVERY WEEK. WE ARE DOING GREAT. WE WON STORE OF THE YEAR FOR OUR REGION AND STORE OF THE YEAR FROM OUR DISTRIBUTION CENTER FOR HAVE THE NICEST EMPLOYEES AND CLEANEST STORE. OUR ELECTRONICS DEPARTMENT ALONE MAKES MORE MONEY IN A WEEK THEN A WHOLE STORE DOES IN A WEEK.

• Bo
    BoycottingWalmart2 Aug 27, 2010

If the camera is unused and that point is obvious just by looking at the box and even opening it up and checking that what is inside is what is stated on the box, receipt or not, they should honor the return. It isn't like they are not going to just put it back on the shelf and sell it to someone else. Wal Mart won't lose money if they give her a gift card for the amount of the camera. Don't be so judgmental about what the person who is returning the camera is saying. It was a gift, yes, for a mission trip, but still a gift which she tried to exchange so that she could buy gifts for the underprivileged kids who will get more out of that than they would have gotten from getting their picture taken and posted on a post mission trip presentation so all the church goers will know what wonderful work they are doing. I think the person giving the camera really should have thought that one through, but frankly, it isn't my business why they did what they did.

The person whose family/friend is stealing - report them to the police anonymously. If you do nothing you are showing tacit agreement with what they are doing. If you do NOT report it and they get caught and anyone finds out you knew and did nothing, you could, potentially be an accessory after the fact to the crime. Besides all that, it is morally wrong to steal and morally wrong to stand by and do nothing to stop that action once you see it occurring. TAKE THE HIGH ROAD AND TELL THE POLICE.

anonomous0908 Aug 30, 2010

The least the associates could have done was look up the serial number on their returns screen to see if any information popped up. There it will tell you where it was actually bought and what day. That would have been the first step the next, providing it was in the returns screen, then it would have to be within the return policy of thirty days. Finally if all of that was all set then they should have given a store credit or exchange for a more simple camera.

• Na
    Nameless2183 Jan 06, 2011

Wal-mart gets lots of scammers, them make thier living off of us and stealing from us. The company is greedy yes. But when it comes to return policys we are fair. I work there as u can guess. I don't agree with everything they do but as far as the return policy it is fair more than fair. We have customers who buy shoes and return them after wearing and ruining them for months. And get a full refund. They Buy TV's and they return them and try to put bricks and other things into it or even the old tv and seal it up and try to get it to pass. Everyone has to open them to check now. And when u get one they try to say they bought it that way. It is just horriable how the customers theft drives up our prices. If there wasn't so much theft maybe it would be cheaper to live. U think when u sleal no one pays for it? Nope the people who don't steal end up paying for your theft in higher prices! U should be assamed for trying to return that camera it was for a church and given in good will. Shame on you!

• Mr
    mrspenguin Apr 23, 2011

I agree the returns policy is a pain to deal with. Walmart simply assumes that everyone is a thief, mainly because they get so much stuff stolen from them...it's shoplifters that ruin it for everyone. Plain and simple. One person commented about door greeters sitting down, however...door greeters and cashiers are only allowed to sit down if they have a paper from their doctor that says that they need to be allowed to sit. It's called reasonable accomodation for disabled people, allowing them to be able to work when they otherwise would not be able to.

Where mine

Fky Oct 12, 2014

Guess got to say it again

Fky Oct 12, 2014

Wtf two ten page comments they don't post

Cause it's truth