Having problems with Walgreens?

200 Wilmot Rd, MS № 2002
SatClosed
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

terrible experience

Today my husband dropped off his prescriptions at around 12:45 in Duncan, Oklahoma. When I went to pick them...

they seldom have all ad items

I work for walgeens and we seldom have all the ad items in the ad. Our store manager is only concerned about...

faulty automated attendant via phone

April 21, 2008 My name, address and telephone numbers are not for sale nor do you have my permission as a...

misrepresentation & misleading advertisements

Date of incident: March 2, 2008 @ 8:12AM I am writing to express my frustration and disappointment regarding...

as an employee

My experience Working for Walgreens More than one year ago I was hired at our neighborhood Walgreens'...

duplicate postings on paypal account!

I tried ordering a few items through Walgreens online store. They offered the option to pay using "Paypal"... but the order kept failing to go through and I would get Walgreens' failure notice instructing me to try again. Finally after seven or eight tries, the order went through. I did receive my order, but upon checking with paypal found 4 duplicate transactions "pending". I was trying to close my paypal account and you cannot do that with "pending" items. After waiting for about 10 days hoping they would drop off on their own, I contacted both Walgreens and Paypal. For over a week, through multiple emails and levels of personnel, Walgreens continued to deny any responsibility and would not assist with this problem. Paypal referred me to Walgreens and Walgreens referred me to paypal, often without even taking the trouble to understand the difficulty. Paypal finally (after contacting them at least 6 times) fixed it, but Walgreens continued to deny any responsibility and would not contact Paypal to fix it claiming that since it was my account it was my responsibility and there was nothing they could do to remedy the error caused by their system. Additionally, they were unconcerned that this might reveal a more pervasive problem that could affect other consumers. I would advise against using Walgreens.com for any reason.

terrible service!

I dropped my prescription off at the walgreens pharmacy at 6:30pm on 12-10-2007. I was told to pick up my...

deceptive advertised items/coupons

This morning I went to 3 Walgreens stores in Decatur, IL looking for the new release DVD Flushed Away which...

non caring pharmacists!

My name is David Morgan. I ordered my KEPPRA prescription for my seizures for 11 PM pickup on Friday, July 6. I fell asleep, and did not pick up the med's, had to go to work, and then went to pick up the med's at 5 PM.

I was suffering from either withdrawal from the medication, or the onset of the seizure by the time that I got to the prescription counter. I was sweating, dizzy, dry heaves, and explained this to the check out person. A stout, afro - American person, who was working with my new blue cross blue shield card, which said that it paid for prescriptions.

As he was telling me the situation, that my KEPPRA was not covered by blue cross, blue shield, I was blacking out... I was asking him to please give me a pill so that my body could stabilize. He continued to explain how I could try another drug, call the prescription company, etc... while I was dry heaving in front of him, asking him over and over for a pill, and the girl in the back was screaming to him that it would not make a difference.

I threw up on the counter, and the clerk then called over the intercom for a manager, and he was telling the clerk who came, over in the opposite corner away from me, that they had a "situation". I went over, and listened to him telling the clerk who came (obviously not a manager) that he had a situation, that I had thrown up on the counter...

They did not care that I was going into seizure mode. They would not give me a tablet of this medication that would stop the convulsing, until they had re-worked all of the paperwork, for blue cross , blue shield, embarrassed me with all of the other customers watching me sweat, beg, and throw up. And then watching your clerks to be more concerned with vomit on the counter, than the well - being , of someone that was obviously, beginning to have complications , due to the lack of medicine in my body.

They finally brought the bag with the pills in it to me, threw them in the bag, and acted like nothing happened.

I called the prescription manager at 5:30. She was aggressive, and rude. I asked her name and she would only tell me Lauren. I asked for her last name, and she said that she would not give it to me, that it was not any of my business. This is a horrible way to treat any customer, especially an infirmed customer. The prescriptive community is supposed to be supportive of the infirmed.

The Walgreen's is at

Walgreens
145 Fourth Avenue
Manhattan, NY 10003
[protected]

the specific prescription number is [protected]

SENT ALSO TO..............................

AND TO ......................................

Thank You. The following information has been submitted:

Form submitted on Sat Jul 7 06:08:06 2007

also to >>>
www.nyc.gov/html/mail/html/maildca.html

Cheryl Sep 01, 2007

I understand how horrible the situation must have been for you and don't think the management acted properly however, maybe you should plan ahead and not wait until the last minute to pick up your rx. Take care of yourself, when it comes down to it no one anywhere cares more about yourself than you should. I mean you made a mistake here and they can't just give out drugs without going through proper procedures for legal reasons. Not to mention, when you take the medication it's not like it works in seconds.

• Ho
    Hotpoquets Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, I'm going to have to say that the blame is split here. The reaction of the employees is obviously irresponsible in this case as you stated. Honestly, my approach would likely be more frustrating for you. I would have likely given you the initial dose, but as soon it became obvious that you were having problems from withdrawal I would not have given it to you for two reasons. You would not get any benefit from a medication if you are dry heaving/vomiting the drug doesn't immediately get absorbed into the body and as healthcare professional I have to have emergency medical services there. Also if seizures were to begin, the only solution woud have been to give you IV doses of much quicker acting medications to prevent further seizures. I have a question that you have conveniently omitted the answers to: How long had you been without medication? If you took your last dose the night before you came in, it would be extremely unlikely that your dose is so sensitive that a single missed dose would cause this (I'll assume you're taking it twice daily, if only once it is even more unlikely).

It just frustrates me as a pharmacist that someone makes the statement "this is a life sustaining medication, I need it now" while waiting to the last second or longer to get their medication. I can appreciate not being able to afford medications and Keppra often times has a 3rd tier copay, but you can not hold the pharmacy responsible for the consequences of that. Anytime I see that high copay I write down a similar medication or two and have them check with their physician if it would be an appropriate alternative.

• Bl
    BlueSkiesAZ Sep 16, 2008

Very sorry for what David went through for his Keppra RX.
    Since the symptom you were displaying matched what the RX was for and you came to pickup your refill, this pharmacist (hotpoquets) would have been willing to give you one pill to help you through while he worked out your insurance information even though you would have thrown it up. Don't know what more a pharmacist could do, except call an ambulance.

1. I think for such a serious condition, you should have had back up pills or an alarm clock to wake you up so you wouldn't have overslept and missed picking up your pills and had plenty of time for them to enter in your new insurance info.
    2. Paid them in full and sent in receipt for Rx to the insurance company. They ALL allow the filing of 'paper claims' with drug receipt attached. All they wanted was $. They weren't being mean to you on purpose. Why didn't you write a check?
    3. We all have to take responsibility for our conditions and to not blame the pharmacists for coming in sick, throwing up on their counter and blaming them. How could they know your new insurance carrier if they didn't have your card?
    4. You don't have to refer to the skin color of a pharmacist! Was it pertinent to your story?
    Quit doing that, we're not in the 50's any more.
    5. TCB and hopefully this will not happen to you again!
    ~

• Ed
    edward clark Sep 30, 2008

I really feel bad for you, but you could of avoided the situation by having more meds on hand.
    Walgreens has been going down the tubes for some time now, having CVS, Target and Walmart ahead of the game. Walgreens stock is at low and I see no future gain unless they they fire incompetent staff and hire competent people who know how to deal with emergencies like yours!
    Yes, you are right about the pharmacy staff they are RUDE and they think they are doing you a favor by filling your prescription...take your money and buy your prescriptions at a pharmacy that appreciates your business!!!

antymaster Oct 13, 2008

@original complainer

The pharmacy is not an ER.

@Edward Clark

The pharmacy is not an ER.

Do NOT enter the pharmacy in an emergency situation expecting them to know what to do. Again, I repeat, a Walgreens pharmacy is NOT an emergency room. They are not, and will not be, trained to handle an emergency situation. Granted, in this situation, I also would have been more sympathetic and tried to help, but AGAIN, the techs and possibly even the pharmacist were probably in shock, froze up and didn't know what to do. Give them the benefit of the doubt here, people.

• Co
    ConnorsMommy Jan 27, 2010

seriously. UGH. what is WITH you people who think that a Pharmacy is an EMERGENCY ROOM???!?!? Antymaster, thank you.

exchange policy

My elderly (80+) father mistakenly picked up the wrong type of Depends. I tried to exchange them at a Wallgreens store at a different location from the one he had shopped (his Brandon, I went to Mango). The exchange would have cost me $7+.

My complaint is... these locations are not around the corner from each other... Why could I not trade in one package for the other. I did have a receipt therefore it was not as if the Depends were not paid for. K-Mart, Wal-Mart, Sweetback, etc. Would have taken my packages and given me the ones I needed. What if he had made the purchase in Daytona Beach. This exchange policy needs some improvement. Now I have to wait until I am in the Brandon area or make a special trip. $26 is a lot of money for fixed income senior citizens.

• Ru
    russell bilby Aug 01, 2008

I have been a loyal Walgreens customer for years. Six months ago I moved to Southern PInes, NC for business. Today starts my seven month in Southern PInes. I have been to the Walgreen phar. at least 4 times in the past 6 months. Two weeks ago I need my BP prescrip. refilled with a 90 day supply, I got 15 days. Today I needed that 15 day supply refilled and at 8:30 am your pharm. is closed. In the six months I have used the store on US1, the pharm. has been closed 3 times at 8;30 or later, one time closed after 9am.
    I would say you have a problem with this store. The next time the pharm. is not open, I will take my business to Walmart.
    Russell L. Bilby

• Ro
    Robert Davis Aug 25, 2008

It seems the drug expiration date is too soon. The last 2 times I got "Nitro Quick" (nitroglycerin sublingual tablets) they expired in about 4 months. I used to use CVS but changed to Walgreen and theirs was usaully 1 - 2 years for expirtations for drugs. It is not that expensive most of the time, but does not seem right.
    Thanks,
    Bob Davis
    Irmo, SC 29063 Phone: 803 749-0907

no checks for phone cards!

I went to my local Walgreens to purchase my boost mobile phone cards like I always do for my daughter and I at least once a month. {$30.00-$80.00} I usually make other purchases but today I did not. I was told by the sales boy that he didn't think I could use a check for a phone card... I laughed and said I always purchase my phone card with a check :] He was nervous and unsure so I told him to call a manager. He yelled to a manager... Hey! Do we take checks for phone cards?!! NO! NO CHECKS FOR CARDS!!! In disbelief I said since when?!! Received no response, the manager walked off. The sales clerk at least apologized- "sorry" {nice kid.} I said KEEP IT!!

• Je
    Jen Bustamonte May 01, 2007

See the website www.stopalldiscrimination.org Post your comments. You do not have to be African American to post. You will find there are many people who attempt to get service or file a complaint against Walgreen's and receive the same treatment. This website is gaining national attention and you need to post!

• As
    ashley timmel Jun 04, 2007

It's to prevent identity theft. A lot of companies have done this.

• Lo
    Lori Mello Aug 25, 2007

I agree with Walgreens just like many of the other stores I shop in. They don't take checks for gift cards or phone cards. Gee , its obvious why because those cards are activated when they are purchased. How many bounced checks do you want retailers to take where the buyer gets instant access to what they want. Why not pay with a debit card or cash. I don't blame Walgreens I blame all the cheats who have ruined it for others.

• Em
    Emil y Sep 01, 2007

It's the same as buying a lottery ticket with cash only. Maybe the manager was rude but a policy is a policy. People write bad checks all the time for gift cards and things like that, so they still get the money, and the company gets nothing. Get over it. I would also like to mention that the practices of wal-mart are putting thousands of people into poverty by closing down small businesses so they can get ALL the profit for everything in any given location, so go ahead and shop there and feel good about it.

• Cr
    Crystal Long Oct 06, 2007

Get out of the 80's and use a debit card, checks went out with the dial phone's. Sick and tired of consumer's always finding something to complain about. Customer's are the main reason there is such a high turn over rate in any retail store. Always want something for nothing, just to pull a fast one over on management.

• Be
    Becki Tinder Nov 05, 2007

I was a Manager at Walgreens for almost 8 years and I would just like to state that policies like this one do protect both the consumer and the company. Unfortunately scam artists and cons have ruined the trust level that companies have towards any customer. It has recently become a huge scam that stolen credit cards and check books have been used to purchase gift/phone cards, especially the Visa and American Express cards. I personally took down a ring of cons that were stealing loved ones credit cards and buying $1000's, yes thousands of dollars, worth of Visa gift cards. I know as a customer you don't want to hear a clerk say they can't because of a policy, I know all you hear is "I won't". But please understand that those policies aren't meant to harass you, they are there to protect you.. Thank you.

• Le
    leftfield101010 Jul 17, 2008

Why is it that when a policy is put in place to protect a company, consumers automatically get upset? They are also the first ones to complain when their stuff gets stolen and a card gets run without having ID checked.

Electronic check processing is one policy. ID verification is another. My company requires us to check ID on any purchase over $100 dollars on a credit card. When we check ID on anything under, we invariably get criticized by the customer for being overly cautions, blah blah blah. Everytime I get badgered for doing it, I just want to tell the customer to either produce ID or not buy. I would rather protect one hundred honest people, than have to deal with the ramifications of not checking the one time some a-hole wants free merchandise on a stolen card/check.

If you have ever had your identity stolen, you get it. If you haven't, you will understand why we check to make sure you are who your credit card says you are if it does get stolen. If you feel you haven't got time to produce ID, then wait til you do have time to shop.

• El
    eldin Apr 01, 2009

unless im mistaken you actually can purchase a prepaid card with CHECK or EBT or whatever tender. unless its one of those green dot credit cards, where the register prompts you and says "only cash" then you can. now.. if those store has been repeatedly burned by deadbeats you write checks and dont make good on their purchase then store has the right to refused.

Chrisabella7 May 27, 2010

EBT is the code for Food Stamps, and will not pay for prepaid cards.

• En
    Engineerswife07 Apr 04, 2011

I always thank the clerks for asking me for ID with any purchase that I use my card for. I would rather have to show it to them than have them not care if I am supposed to be using it, I like it when they show that kind of care.

pharmacy sucks every time!

Every time... I give them another chance and another chance, hoping that maybe they would get a little better...

stolen merchandise - nobody cares!

The other day I was at the checkout counter at Walgreens. There were at least three employees standing...

pharmacy is ridiculous

I call in & get refills a lot but when i go pick them up they aren't ready!! I have waited a lot down there! Then this week i was in the drive thru @ 9am & i drove off about 9:07 as it wasn't opened at the proper time @ 9 so i had to make an extra trip home & back they get confused & mix things up & give you the wrong prescription or such i am going to change pharmacy very quick as i am sick to death of this!! They don't know what they are doing!! 2 of the pharmacists are rude & moody.

Ann McElhinney Feb 09, 2008

The Walgreens in New Castle, DE is no different. I repeatedly receive prescriptions for drugs I don't take and the refills I want are never there even though I called them in a day or two earlier. The wait is nearly always one hour. My husband and I take quite a few medications and it would be a nightmare to change pharmacies. I've complained to Walgreens corporate who only refers me back to the store manager who ignores my complaints and has asked me to take my business elsewhere. This pharmacy chain should be investigated before they kill someone, if they haven't already done so.

check refusal problem

This evening my check was refused when I went to make a purchase at this Walgreen's store. When I asked...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices