Inteliusstop billing me

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Intelius's response · Oct 15, 2009

Managing personal information through the Intelius opt-out service is just one step in eliminating its availability. There are many other sites that may provide similar information found on our site. Public records sites, search engines, social networking sites and other online companies provide different levels of information about individuals.

The customer can also contact their local utility companies, courthouses and/or county offices to determine what information is being made available; and how to have it removed.

To accurately suppress that data, we recommend the customer follow the ‘opt out’ process found on the Intelius website at http://www.intelius.com/privacy-faq.php#5 . We do require the individual’s identity to be verified prior to processing an opt out; however, if they do not feel comfortable faxing us their driver’s license or other state issued identification; they can send a notarized statement of their identity.

We appreciate your cooperation is resolving this issue apologize for any inconvenience.

• Intelius's response · May 24, 2010

If you require further assistance, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 10:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Intelius's response · Jul 18, 2011

If you need further assistance with your Intelius account, please call [protected] Monday to Friday from 5am to 8pm and Saturday from 6am to 4:30pm. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Intelius's response · Jun 07, 2016

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Intelius's response · Jul 14, 2016

It sounds like you have accepted the People Search offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in the People Search membership, please call [protected] Monday to Friday from 5am to 8pm and Saturday from 6am to 4:30pm. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Intelius's response · Aug 19, 2016

If you select a promotional price on the Intelius website, you will also receive a free 7 day trial of Identity Protect. After the 7 day trial, if not canceled, it will convert to a regular subscription and bill out at $19.95 monthly.

Please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you with your account.

• Jm
    jmul5596 May 24, 2011

This same thing happened to me too, but I my card is about to expire so I am going to get a new one in about a month. Will that make the charges stop, or should I do something more? Thanks for any help!

• Jm
    jmul5596 May 24, 2011

This happened to me too and my card is about to expire so I will be getting a new one in the mail at the end of the month. Will that make the charges stop? Or should I do something more? Thanks for the help!

• Ge
    georgia1321 May 19, 2011

I thought I scammed too but when i called my bank they said they couldnt do anything cuz it does tell you, you will be a member if you dont cancel wothin the 7 day free trial. So even if you want to do the one time background check it automatically gives you the 7 day trail and it does tell you that if you dont cancel within the 7 days you will be charged 19.95 every month, people you must read everything before you give your credit card information out and this is what it tells you before you hit continue to do the background check.

Offer and Continuous Renewal Details:
    By clicking the "Continue" button you will activate your trial membership and get access to the great benefits that Identity Protect has to offer. The membership fee of $19.95 plus tax where applicable per month, will be charged/debited by Intelius.com to the credit/debit card you enter today after your 7-day trial and then automatically charged/debited each month at the then-current monthly membership fee so long as you remain a member. If you wish to cancel during your 7-day trial, you can either cancel by calling us at [protected] or visiting the “MyIntelius” section of the Intelius.com website. Within the first 7 days - you will have paid nothing and owe nothing. After the 7-day trial you may also cancel your membership at any time by calling us or by visiting the website. Either way, if you cancel you will not be charged for future monthly fees. If you use a debit card today and you do not cancel within 7 days, beginning on or after 7 days from now, your monthly membership fee for Identity Protect will be automatically debited each month on or about the same date from the checking account associated with your debit card so long as you remain a member. If you use a credit card, it will be charged similarly each month. Identity monitoring begins the Sunday following your enrollment. Therefore, in some cases, identity monitoring will not be a part of your free trial. Intelius and its benefit providers are not credit repair service providers and do not receive fees for such services, nor are they credit clinics, credit repair or credit services organizations or businesses, as defined by federal and state law.

scott5150 May 17, 2011

They offered a 99-cent special on a reverse phone lookup, which I paid for with my credit card. In making this purchase, their web site kept trying to push me into a monthly service subscription for $19.95/month. I thought I had succeeded in purchasing the 0.99 search without signing up for the monthly charge, but, you guessed it -- they charged my CC $19.95.
    Called their customer service (did not experience any long wait time, at least). Service rep told me that the fee could not be refunded (as I had "agreed to the terms of the subscription"). After getting nowhere with telling the rep that at no time did I see any notice that I was signing up for monthly service, I told her that I would be calling my CC company to dispute the charge. It was only at that point when she put me on hold to "talk to a supervisor, " and upon coming back on the line informed me that the charge would be refunded in 7-10 days. We'll see. I also told her to confirm with me that any and all memberships/subscriptions/or affiliations that I had with them were cancelled, which she did.
    Bottom line: Don't use these guys. The 99-cent search that I paid for did not have any of the information in it that they promised, and it's clear that their business model revolves heavily around duping customers into subscribing to services that they never intended to order.

• Be
    Belinda Olsen Apr 22, 2011

I used Intelius people search tools and was originally offered $19.95 on their website but ridiculously debited $39.95. I called them and they don't want to reverse the amount charged to me, they’re just telling they can’t do anything. I called my Master card and was promised that they'll help me with the amount taken out from my account and it has been 3 months now and I haven't received any refund. I need to take further action about this, this crooks might be scamming other people like me.

• Hc
    HC$*@% Apr 04, 2011

Although I live in CT, have been more than annoyed for about 2 wks. Have read they ask for money; little do they know, as a rather poor widow, I will never give them one red cent. They can haunt all they way: Whatever small funds I have will forever remain in the bank. I make less than those on State Welfare, enough only for me to survive.

Since I cannot make them go away, they can simply remain where they are, ignored and reviled. What small funds I have only help feed me and pay for my house and car. I haven't bought myself any new clothing since my husband passed away in 2007. End of story. Am not efficient with computers, so have no photo's and if I did, would not know how to insert them here. Maybe someday in the future they'll get bored; maybe not. However, I like my breakfast, lunch and small dinner. End of story. Bridgeport CT 06606

jodi wrend Mar 10, 2011

I want all the billing to stop. Your service was not helpful at all. I feel that this is a scam. I want you to go back and reinburse me for all the charges that you charged me for false help. I want it done within a week. If you dont know how much that you have charged my account I can get the dates for you. If I do not hear from you soon I will report you. You can find me at [email protected] thank you hope to hear from you soon.

• Ba
    Bader14 Mar 05, 2011

This is just a scam. when i saw the first deduction in my account immediately i called them at [protected] and canceled the substerilization with them. as they said they are going to return the deduction to my account. i just hug up the phone from them. let's see if they are going to be honest.

• Kh
    Khaz Feb 28, 2011

I have recieved the following charges on my Statement from the company intelius)
    I was unlawfully charged the sum of $19.95 twice this month for a service that wasnt authorized by me by any means, contacted Intelius on 2/16/2011
    to find someone, I was told that a 1 time search would cost me $0.95
    I did my search and it did not provide accurate information for the
    person I was requesting information on. However when I turned to check my mothly statement, I seen that I was also charged $19.95 on 02/16/2011 along with the charge of $0.99 that I had actually arthorized.

I have contacted this company they claimed I was billed because I accepted the 7 day trail which was a lie, After doing some research I found that thousands of people like me have been getting ripped of as well, this company need to be stopped A.S.A.P

• Ll
    llkowalski Feb 22, 2011

I had no idea that I would be billed anything more than a one time fee of 95 cents. On the date that I use their service, I was billed $4.46, $17.95 and the 95 cents that I was expecting. I have been questioning it but had not done anything about it yet. I just looked at my credit card info online to see if I had been billed anything more and sure enough, I have been billed another $17.95. Therefore the 95 cent transaction that I agreed to actually cost me $31.31! I have already had to change my credit card number (about 2 months ago) due to an unauthorized user so I dread calling the bank to change it again. I used to be able to order on the internet and never had any trouble but lately I have had 3 different charges that were obviously not mine or (like Int*Intelius - charged for something I did not agree to)! I used this same service years ago and never had a problem. Thanks to everyone who has posted as now I know what I need to do and will NEVER use their service again!

• Ra
    RachunZero Feb 17, 2011

Company charged for a reverse-phone lookup guaranteeing name of subscriber and all they did was phone the person and say that they were female on the report. Their service is basically useless. They have no more access to phone records than anyone else.

• Si
    sid rao Feb 12, 2011

this a scam run by trans union...can you believe that! identity matters, credit score complete and credit score express all these sites are nothing but a scam. i was signed up for all three without my authorization. per the phone reps "i signed up" what a bunch of bull crap.

• Ka
    Kathleen DeJohn Feb 02, 2011

I don't even recall ordering this service and yet I am being billed for it every month. STOP billing me. I don't want this.

Kathleen DeJohn

Jon R H Jan 13, 2011

I just checked my bank statements and found that Intellius has been charging me $19.95 for the last 4 months. I don't know where they got my debit card number but I have been scammed and I am mad as ***. I was scammed by some *** in Utah and got my money back both from my bank and the state's Attorney General. I recommend that anyone who has a complaint of this kind do the same thing. If you have a bank like mine they will refund the money immediately then do an investigation (I will give them this URL for instance). If they decide it is a scam they will let you keep the refund.

• Ba
    BasketOfFish Jan 05, 2011

I too never intentionally signed up for this service, and have been billed for 5 months now and have been charged $100.00.

I called this number: [protected]. I spoke with a representative for a little while, and he offered me a lower price (wtf?).

I asked to speak to his supervisor and complained politely and rationally enough to get 3 months back out of them. She explained that 3 months is as far back as they can go because they're bank won't allow them to refund anything further back than that. But, at least I got $60 out of my $100 back.

• Co
    ConsumerCompainer Jan 04, 2011

LISTEN UP: I tried various ways to get my money back from Intelius after they scammed me with their "buy a people search, get charged for a credit card security scam for $19.95/month". I was charged nearly a YEAR (sigh) before I could get through my on-line banks complicated and hard to read statements. I called Intelius (too bad for me, but they did cancel the 'serice') I went to my bank. I wrote Intelius that my bank had informed me to both file a claim AND file a police report. However, what I think WORKED is to file a claim with the Seattle BBB https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/complaintlink.aspx where the company is located. They are obviously trying to retain their rating. So don't bother with all the rest. Less than a WEEK after I filed a claim with Seattle BBB, I got a note from the BBB that Intelius just needed my name/account number to refund my money. WHICH THEY DID. in full. Amazing. It was $239!! So don't get your blood pressure high talking to these people or trying to reach them, they don't care anyhow, they are TRAINED to tell you to get lost. Just file with BBB and good luck = )

• Pi
    pixievisions Dec 31, 2010

I have been billed for the last 3 months, and I never even did a search. Whoever did the search used my debit card to search for me. Obviously a scam!!! I called them, and they are investigating it. I also made a complaint about them the FTC and called my local police and reported them for identity theft, since I never did a search with them and fraud. I also called my bank and reported it to them as well, and canceled my debit card and ordered a new one so the can no longer charge me. They don't have my new card number and never will. It's a lot of work, but I'm hoping I'll get my money back. It looks hopeful.

• Cl
    clwest Dec 16, 2010

happened to me also - lets get togather and do something - been charged mutipul times - [email protected]

scammed and unhappy Nov 28, 2010

Folks, this is a scam - cancel your credit card right away to avoid further fraudulent charges. I was also tricked by the one-time $1.95 offer; not only was I charged the monthly $19.95, my card number was also subsequently used fradulently for a $1000 charge outside the U.S. I think this is how they steal your credit card info and match it with your personal info - don't fall for the trap!

• Mr
    MrsMiles Nov 09, 2010

I just noticed they had been taking money out of my account as well. I had paid a small, one time fee to look up a number that had mysteriously been calling my sister's cell phone at all hours of the day and night, and we suspected it was her ex boyfriend. After paying the amount the information didn't really provide us with that much information. I don't even know how long ago that was but I realized I have been charged $19.95 every month for a few months. I kept wondering where all my money was going! I only work part time and need every dollar I get! I sent a message to them but I doubt I will get a response. I will call tomorrow and see where it does from there but to tell you the truth, I want a refund. I remember seeing something about a seven day trial but I'm pretty sure I decline that offer, being that again, there's not that many people I need to look up.

Samy Nov 04, 2010

I used a cell phone of a person who I knew the name of and the results turned up two DIFFERENT people who lived in different cities and were not the person I was looking for.

This is totally ridiculous because how can one number turn up two different people who live in totally different cities and none of the results showed the one person I was looking for? I wanted the address of the person but unfortunately I didn't get it through Intelius. Save your money and use another service. You will regret it if you use Intelius.

Total waste of time and money

• Bu
    buckeyes Oct 31, 2010

I did a one time look up. to find out where my x lived and it give me my own address. Her mail is starting to come to my house. I been here at the same place for 12 years. She has nevered lived here or been inside my house. Now there billing me 19.95 plus the 1.95. great scam they got going on. The goverment should crack down on these people.

• St
    stross Oct 24, 2010

This site is a TOTAL RIP OFF please tell everyone you know NOT TO USE IT<<<, , , , I am spreading the word

• Ro
    Rott Oct 19, 2010

I went on-line the Intelius web site once to find a phone number and must have had some extremely obscure box checked that I didn't notice and apparently had to un-check in order NOT to have signed up for their monthly supposed identity theft protection for 19.95/month. Two months later when I received my VISA bill I noticed the charge and called immediately to cancel. I was told that two months of charges would be refunded to me. Next month when I received my next VISA bill I had only been refunded one month. I called again, was treated rudely and told that I was lying. BEWARE of this company!!! In my opinion they only want your money, and care nothing about customer service.

• Gr
    grdowling Oct 18, 2010

I used Intelius to find someone and was charged $1.95. I was notified that I had agreed to their monthly subscription plan costing $19.95. I immediately emailed the company and clarified that I did not want a monthly subscription. After 2 weeks no credit had been issued to my credit card so I called them and got them to agree, reluctantly, to a refund.

Their website is quite tricky and it is easy to sign up for the subscription as it's posed as a email verification. Even worse, their mechanism to cancel online is impossible to find, even following their instructions.

• Fr

GOOD LUCK

RON

• Tp
    TPowell82 Aug 24, 2010

Same thing. Just looked and they've been billing me $19.95 per month. I'm filing on them with the Tx State Attorney General's office.

• Qu
    quilted46 Aug 21, 2010

I try to call and speak to someone and get recorded message, then gives numbers to push, 5 for cancel "this is an invalid request". Went back to the phone called the 888-[protected] number again and pushed the number for questions regarding account "this is an invalid request". I HAVE to get this off my account. They are charging 19.95 to my credit card that I am paying off.

• Ri
    Right2Voice Aug 16, 2010

People Search has been edited from its original site. It obviously recognized or was forced to recognize its deceptive practices. I recalled it confirming that it was for a 1 time search for a onetime fee. They have since added the red and obvious option "With FREE Identity Protect Trial" further admission to their abuse of under"lie"ing intent. Sites of this nature thrive on the ignorance of the infrequent user to add on hidden and poorly explained service within the carrot windows. Further evidence that the Web or Internet can not be policed or governed by the commercial identities within it. Follow the money and you always find abuse that leads to controls and more government. If my bank won't go after them then I will dump my bank... after all the only thing the consumer has for influence is our money and if the banks won't make a stand then move your money to a Credit Union so you as a constituent have someone you can speak with face to face. If the Banking System won't go to bat for you then dump them as they did us during this Ponzi Scheme depression.
    My 2 cents and opinion if it is still legal to have one.

• Jw
    JW.Style Aug 14, 2010

they are billing me also! and I am so mad!
    I called them the first time and they said they would take it off and that they understand I do not want to me a member yet! they never took that charge off and continue to take money out of my account!

I am on the phone with the bank now!

ScammedbyIntelius Aug 11, 2010

I agree. Intelius in no better than the guy who smashes your window of your car and steals $20.00 off the dashboard.

Shame on you Intelius.

And shame on the so-called customer service people who work there and uphold their corporate theft policies.

• Wi
    wilfredo febres jr. Aug 03, 2010

Same is happening to me. I asked for one time and now being charged twice a month!!
    I was scammed too. I called this number: [protected] and cancelled my account. i looks Pretty easy. Let's see what happens next month if they bill me again. it it happenes again then i look for some more drastic measures; wish me luck.

• Bi
    bigdwhite Jul 29, 2010

I did as sharonmayer suggested. worked great, no hassle: "I was scammed too. I called this number: [protected] and cancelled my account. Pretty easy. Let's see what happens next month if they bill me again.

• Ds
    dsr123 Jul 29, 2010

• Ms
    MsRaven2929 Jun 28, 2010

this site isn't right either asking me for my address and phone number which I never give unless I know the site very good..

• Ms
    MsRaven2929 Jun 28, 2010

I agree I just checked my roomate's account and he is also being billed from this company but the [censored]es have no clue that no matter what they won't get the money because it is a prepaid card and we aren't or won't keep money on the card so they could charge his card..it would be wise to contact your banks requesting a new card with a new number under the fact that this company is posting unwanted charges to your account

samlee Jun 24, 2010

this is ### i just got my money back for the month of june that is straight messed up i never read anywhere on that website about that and they really do need to make sure they put that ### in old print omg im so pissed

• Li
    Ling Chi Jun 17, 2010

Whups, someone can't read!

• Be
    betty blue 67 Jun 09, 2010

I paid 14.99 for a people search that rendered information I could have gotten from the white pages. Eight months later I discovered that Intelius had signed me up for an i.d theft protection and had been taking 19.99 out of my account monthly.

I promptly called customer service and asked them to refund me. They refused. I asked them to sgemail or mail me the contract. They said it is not policy to do this. I asked them to cancel this immediately and wanted confirmation again they refused. I called my bank and had to cancel my debit card so they could no longer charge me.

After to ranting and raving the customer service robot had enough nerve to tell me if I want to rejoin they'd give me 10% off. Filing an complaint with BBB.