Menu
Home Online Scams Intelius stop billing me

Intelius review: stop billing me

B
Author of the complaint
4:58 pm EDT
Replied
The company left an official comment on this complaint.
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I agree. this is a sherade, sham a scheme to rob you. i too have fallen victim to them and can not keep them out of my account. the info you get from them is not complete. their site is obviously set up to get your personal info to exploit you and steal from you.look out for them under these names: int*idprotect mntr svc, intelius-intelius.com . you may want to email your story to : us government - homeland security [protected]@uce.gov this is the federal multi-jurisdictional task-force assigned to investigate and prosecute internet fraud. unfortunately many of these web-sites are operating under many layers of fraudulent sham corporations outside of our borders where extradition agreements do not exist.

More Intelius complaints & reviews

Intelius - intelius - beware it's a rip-off!
The company left an official comment to this complaint.
Intelius - I was charged and have no idea what that is
Intelius - repeated unauthorized charges
Intelius - scam
Intelius - unauthorized cc deduction
Intelius - rip off
The company left an official comment to this complaint.
Intelius - was charged for a subscription I never signed up or agreed to
206 comments
N
Dec 14, 2017 2:58 am EST
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have sent them an email but the response was automatic message only. How can I cancel the service? I don't want to be billed recurring monthly.

Jul 02, 2017 5:36 pm EDT

these people are robbing me too

G
Feb 07, 2008 12:00 am EST

BEWARE OF SERVICES FROM Intelius. I registered with Intelius a few days ago and paid for one of their services. After 2 days, my Credit Card was billed by PMIdentity.CO. I was surprised how my Card info got to them. I immediately contacted PMIdentity (privacymattersidentity.com). They told Intelius passed the number to them! Then I contacted Intelius. They informed me that once I put in an email in their system (by the way, which is required for registration), they will pass my info to other companies.

Now I am really worried - to whom all have the passed my Credit Card info to. Beware of services for Intelius.

Aug 22, 2016 6:48 am EDT

it was unatherized.

Aug 19, 2016 3:37 am EDT

I made a phone call to the intelius company to have my information removed from the website. me and my husband are both police officer's and for the safety of are family we have to be removed. they left me on hold for 30min then told me that I had to fax the request to them. I explainded that I had been attempting to do that for the past 5 days and there fax machine was full. I then stated I would like to speak with a supervisor, and then again placed on hold for 20min. I then was able to leave my number for a call back and I am still waiting for a call. this company should not be used by anyone... this company is a huge scam!

Intelius, Inc. Identity Protection Scam

Intelius, Inc. currently is in the practice of taking credit card information from their other offered services and applying it to "free trial" services. After a certain period (7 days is the usual time), the credit card information provided is then charged automatically. The Intelius, Inc. no refund policy is then put into effect when consumers find obscur charges made to their credit card.

Aug 19, 2016 3:37 am EDT

i paid for a surch of addresses and got a page that said this page can't be displayed i was charged and i could not make contact with the company for a refund. i got riped off

Aug 19, 2016 3:37 am EDT

money was taken out of my visa account, i did not want a subscription i thought last month it was a one time fee. i want my ###ing money back. i tried calling waited an hour and a half and no one came on the phone. I want this resolved immediatley! I'm pissed it never said anything about a subscription, i never would have gotten it. contact me now! [protected] or jeinnine@yahoo.com

Aug 19, 2016 3:37 am EDT

Investigators in my firm use Intelius at times. We have found that Intelius rarely has
up to date or accurate information on the owner of a given phone number. This inaccurate information has thrown investigators off track, put them on the wrong track
and created weeks or months of additional investigation. Although their reverse phone
search ads give you the impression you will get a name, address etc., that seldom happens. They appeare to be getting more and more blatent. Here is what they provided
on several recent reverse phone searches. 1. The oowner of the phone was MALE. 2. the
owner of the phone was female. 3. The owner of the phone is in Ohio 4. The owner of the phone is from Dayton. Of course our credit card was charged $4.99 for each of these
useless tidbits of information. These comments are in regard to reverse phone search only, but if their practices with reverse phone search are any indication, anything they are offering is questionable

Aug 19, 2016 3:37 am EDT

I CALLED THE NUMBER THAT WAS GIVEN ON MY CREDIT CARD STATEMENT THAT HAD AN UNAUTHORIZED CHARGE FROM INTELIUS AND THEY TOLD ME MY WAIT COULD BE UP TO 20 MINUTES OR LONGER AND THEN GAVE ME AN EMAIL ADDRESS OF CUSTSERV@INTELIUS.COM TO CONTACT WITH MY CONCERN.
I DID EMAIL THEM MY CONCERN, AND GOT A REPLY THAT I COULD NOT EMAIL THEM ON THE EMAIL ADDRESS I WAS JUST GIVEN. I WAS DIRECTED TO ANOTHER SITE WHERE I HAD TO SUBMIT A FORM AND MY COMPLAINT.
************BEWARE***********
DO NOT TO ANY BUSINESS ON THE INTERNET WITH INTELIUS
ESPECIALLY WHEN LOOKING FOR A PHONE NUMBER OR ADDRESS TO A LOST RELATIVE! NONE OF THE INFO THAT THEY GIVE YOU IS ANYWHERE NEAR CORRECT!

I
Aug 19, 2016 3:37 am EDT

Caught it called canceled charge refunded me current charge refused other charges very fraudulent and unhelpful. Thanks for nothing.

I
Aug 19, 2016 3:37 am EDT

Without my request or agreement, I was signed up for Intelius Identity Protect for a 7 day free trial and was told that I needed to cancel the service within the trial period or I would be charged monthly fee thereafter. There was a website to contact to cancel, but it didn't exist. Fortunately I had written down the customer service phone number (it was not on any information I printed out). The representative finally agreed to cancel the service, but continued to offer me another free trial. When I explained my complaint, she said many others had made the same complaint and Intelius was trying to work on the problem. And to think they want me to sign up for service when they can't figure out how to put simple yes/no boxes for customer response.

Aug 19, 2016 3:37 am EDT

It looks to me like Intellius preys on people who are willing to pay a small fee to obtain information online. I used the service one time and discovered that I "somehow" agreed to a "trial membership" in an "Identify Theft" protection service. Intellius charged me $19.95 a month for 11 months, when my intention was to pay $11.95 for a one time service. When I called them to find out why they were charging me $19.95 a month, they said I must have agreed to a "trial" membership at the time I used their service. I am computer literate and have a masters degree in education. Chances are highly unlikely that I inadvertently enrolled in an Identify Theft protection service that I do not need as I already have Identity Theft protection through my credit card company. Warning: If you choose to use Intellius for any reason, check your bank or credit card statement monthly to ensure you didn't inadvertently join one of the "trial memberships" and are being charged $19.95 a month for as long as they can get away with it.

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

The report I paid $54.00 for could have been found in the white pages more accurately. the infor mation did not include civil suits, owned properties, employment history, or criminal charges (all fof which applied). intelius' response to my complaint is below:
Hello! thank you for contacting the intelius customer service group! intelius services and reports are issued immediately after your online purchase is made. because we provide an instant service, we are unable to cancel your purchase after the report has been issued. once you have confirmed and processed the credit card charge via the 3 step checkout confirmation page, we have to pay our data providers and distribution partners. also, we access a variety of different public records sources from our data partners. as you can imagine, some of the sources are courthouses, county and other government offices. these offices can be slow to update public information. we are as current as they are, but some of the updates are out of our immediate control. because of this, we cannot guarantee the information or provide refunds. we apologize for the inconvenience. also, please refer to sections 6 and 7 of our terms of use agreement in the “help” section of your account.! the terms of use agreement explains that information is accessed from public records and is as up to date as the public records and other proprietary sources are. all customers are required to agree to our terms of use agreement at the time their account is created. for your convenience, I have copied sections 6 and 7 below: 6. fees and refund policy. fees for use of intelius are posted on the various search pages. you agree to pay the fees associated with your use of the intelius databases by providing us with a valid credit card. you hereby certify that you are an authorized user of the credit card. you understand that we take credit card fraud and non-payment very seriously, and we may work with law enforcement agencies and private parties to address these issues if they occur. we further reserve the right to suspend service to any delinquent account without notice. if you have questions about our fees, please contact us before your complete the search. you are re! sponsible for (and must pay for) all use of our databases made! by indi viduals using your account. if you suspect that unauthorized use of you account is taking place, you must notify us immediately. intelius will use reasonable efforts to deliver the information services to its customers, and to compile information gathered from selected public records and other sources; provided, however, customer accepts all information as is. all purchases are final with no refunds. furthermore, intelius accesses and is charged for information controlled by third parties and can not guarantee the accuracy of the information. 7. disclaimer of warranties. the information in the intelius databases has been compiled from public records and other proprietary sources for the specific purposes of (1) locating individuals, property and businesses, and/or (2) providing general background information about individuals and businesses for verification purposes. neither intelius nor any of our data suppliers represents or warrants that the information is current!, complete or accurate. intelius hereby disclaims all representations and warranties regarding the performance of the service and the accuracy, currency, or completeness of the information, including (without limitation) all warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. additionally, under no circumstances shall we be liable to you for any damages whatsoever, including (without limitation) any direct, special, incidental, exemplary or consequential damages, lost profits, or any other claims of yours or third parties, even if we have been advised of the possibility of such damages. you assume all risks associated with the use of our databases and information. you may also locate our terms of use agreement at the following url: [https://find.intelius.com/useragreement.php]

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

It seem like the feds could do something about Intelius robing money from my account.If I took money from someones account I would go to prison. On top of that they are hitting my account twice a month.You can tell that all levels of the opperation are common knowledge to employees, because of the tactics used by the CSRs and supervisors. I would also like to address the fact that my email received 5, 888 emails in 24 hours of contacting the office, I usually receive 8 or10 per week before I made contact about the Illegal withdraws.Any help or any actions I will join in.

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

In Feb. 2011, I went to the Intelius website to use their "people search" tools. I signed-up for a free 7-day trial, used what I wanted to use, and then cancelled my membership the next day. 4 months later I discovered that they charged my bank account 6 times in the amount of $19.95 for Identity Protect services which I never signed up for, nor did I want or even utilize. I cancelled the services online. A couple of days later I called Intelius to see about a refund, and they refused to give me my money back. I then proceeded to file complaints with the BBB, FTC, my state's Attorney General, and with my bank. Today Intelius decided to refund 4 out of the 6 charges. I'm not sure exactly what it was that made them have a change of heart, but I advise ALL who have issues with Intelius to file complaints with all of those entities aforementioned. And also check out the US Consumers Union. They have tons of resources for consumers.

R
Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

I was billed twice and refunded only once for a service that was supposed to be canceled. I called and got the royal run around.

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

Paid for information about missing friend. Got no real info. Charges appearingon credit card for some kind of 'subscription'.

Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

they have taken close to 100.00 out of my account without authorization. I can't get in touch with anyone to stop any more withdraws, any advise? I am going to involve my attorney i guess.

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

We were charged two seperate charges by MVQ valmax after spending 1.00 to get a friends phone number through intellius. The intellius representative was able to see that a pop up came on the screen while we were ordering the phone number and was closed out within 40 seconds (this is what must have been their advertisement and a statement of charges...for what I still don't know.) The operator was quick to help and even offered to "connect me" with Valmax, she then placed me on hold for about 2 minutes and said my charges would be refunded promptly. I did receive a confirmation number and a name--- we will see if this reversal occurs. ONE PROBLEM THEY HAVE NOT SOLVED-- we don't use this bank account, and now it has been overdrawn due to this activity. So I also have 70$$ worth of fees from the bank to deal with...

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

I ordered.95 was charged that plus 19.95 twice for stuff i did not order. They have talked to me given me the run around and confirmation numbers to give to my bank. My bank says that it is bs and they are just trying to get rid of me.
do not do business with this place! it is a scam.

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

I did not authorize Intelius to start a Intelius ID subscription and automatically begin adding it to my credit card.

I have tried to call the [protected] number and I have sent them an e-mail, but I can't get a response. I plan on reporting this to my credit card company, but how can I get my $19.95 back for two months.

In addition, how can I help complain further about the scam and fraud this company represents?

A
Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

Hey! Intelius did me the same way! They charged my card without my consent for membership! Now my bank is ovedrawn with extra fees!

T
Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

A $19.95 bogus charge showed up on my debit card...it turned out to be Intelius randomly charging on a Sunday, for unauthorized credit check services. Now, I have to file a fraud complaint verbally to the bank. Then when the bank sends me a signature form, I'll need to sign it and return it to the bank. The bank will then investigate (supposedly) and will decide to reverse the charge or let it stand.

The company Intelius gets off scott-free. No wonder they look for trusting fools like us, because no one is going to prosecute them.

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

I used INTELIUS one time last spring, an paid the $38.00 bill from my checking account. Since then, they have continued to deduct $19.95 from my account monthly for "subscription services" They have so far ignored my complaints to cease billing me. Checking on the Internet, I have learned that there are numerous complaints against them, and several persons are pursuing the matter via their Better Business Bureau and/or Attorney General's Office. I have no desire to have any fraudulent "subscription" from this company, and consider continued deductions from my account to be outright theft. This most recent dipping from my account resulted in an overdraft on to of their fraudulent charges. How can I stop this other than going through the Arizona Attorney General's Office? I brought this to my Credit Union's notice in June, and was told at the time to contact the company. I have attempted this several times without results. What is my next option? Perhaps there is grounds for a class-action suet here.

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

I did a reverse look up about 2 weeks ago. I am being charged, left and right, from Intellius and other companies that I never signed up for. I want my money back (19.95) and to have my name taken off of whatever list I seem to be on. My name is Lisa Eichelberger and my email address is lwhite285@aol.com. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Lisa

T
Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

I had ordered a people search from them for $2.95 which was not as helpful as the free sites and then noticed that I was automatically signed up for identity protection without my permission or knowledge at a charge of 14.95. This is not the first time this has happened. I'm getting really tired of these rip-off jokers helping themselves to my money!

V
Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

I paid for a people look up and e-mail which was 4.95. I just looked at my card and find I have been charged $19.95. Looks like alot of people have been scammed

Aug 19, 2016 3:36 am EDT

I have tried for two days to get hold of Intelius and I wait 20 minutes then get a busy signal. I have disputed at charge of $19.95 that I did NOT authorize. I have disputed the charges with my credit card company. I get tired of these scams when you buy something then they automatic use your card with0ut authorization

Sincerely,
JulieHenry

G
Aug 19, 2016 3:35 am EDT

I signed up for one time use for .95 cents next thing i knew my account was getting charged 19.95 for some protection thing it over drafted my account three months in a row because i wasn't expecting it to come out because i never signed up for it so in the long run i got overdraft charges of 34.00 each month plus 8.00 a day in overdraft charges so i will never use them again i don't think its right how they can get away with charging people all this money and over drawing peoples accounts.

Aug 10, 2016 4:57 am EDT

I ordered a 1 time search request for .95 and now am charged $19.95. Who can I turn to get my money back?

K

they offeredfreecredit protection for 30 days and I've contacted them twice that I did not want to persue this offer, but they have now charged me twice within the 30 days and have put my checking account in overdraft. I have contacted the bank but I'm told I have to deal with Intelius which I have done butthey are still taking money out of my account instead of putting it back in.

Jul 14, 2016 3:43 am EDT

I used their service to look up one #. the site clearly said that one # would cost me 4.99. as soon as I clicked ok my bank (who emails me with every transaction) emails me and I see a charge for the $4.99 and 19.95. I immeidately contact their customer service-which is the rudest by far. they advise me on how to cancel the membership and that I will receive a refund. its now a week later and instead of a refund I get another charge.
People do not use this company! they scam and take money out as soon as they get your card info.

Jun 15, 2016 2:33 am EDT

I was just looking at the balance of my checking account when I noticed a withdrawal of 12.99 called "IDPROTECT, " a name I did not recognize. I called my bank and they told me that the company also billed me 12.99 last month. I never signed up for this. After some research I found that the company name is called Intelius. I contacted Intelius and they told me they couldn't help me because I did not have an account on their site. So now I am stuck dealing with these completely fraudulent charges from a company I never even KNEW about until today. I really would like this to be resolved somehow.

Jun 07, 2016 4:59 am EDT

I too got defrauded by intellius. I used their information services for a long period of time and as I was checking my credit card statement I noticed some unusual charges from companies I did not recognize. after a morning on the telephone to those companies I found that they were intellius companies with revolving charges to my credit card. these companies were: 24protectplus; pmidentity; privacymatter; and valuemax. again, be very careful if you use this company for any information. I wasted a whole morning of my valuable time on this matter and they had charged approx $100 in unauthorized charges through these various companies.

A
Jun 06, 2016 4:48 am EDT

I recently purchased a service from this website: http://www.intelius.com/, and was later chared 19.95 for something called value max. the customer service rep on the phone stated I must have "entered my e-mail address twice on the value max banner". I said even if I did, I most certainly did not give them my credit card information. they removed the charges, but this is pretty insanse. an outright scam. avoid this website at all costs.

Jun 06, 2016 4:48 am EDT

intelius-intelius has no right to charge my checking account of any money. I did not agree to it and I want it stopped now as of January22, 2010. If not I will contact my attorney.
Doris Pianelli

Jun 06, 2016 4:47 am EDT

This company offered a reverse look up of any cellular phone number. I engaged their service to assist my daughter in getting the name and address of someone that hit her car, left a note and now will not answer the phone from our insurance company. For the price of $4.95 I received a first name and city of residence - that's it. Talk about stealing over the internet. I hope others will have more intelligence and check this site BEFORE giving this company money for absolutely nothing! Very disappointiing that a company like this is allowed to be in business at all. No wonder our economy is going down the drain with legal theft like this in active operation.

K
Jun 06, 2016 4:09 am EDT

I did not authorize Intelius to hold $19.95 on my credit card. I need that money. Intellius has not responded to my email and i have not been able to get a representative on the phone to speak with them about this matter. I would appreciate that money being put back on my credit card.

Kate Sheffield

katejs21@yahoo.com
[protected]

Nov 04, 2010 3:36 pm EDT

I used a cell phone of a person who I knew the name of and the results turned up two DIFFERENT people who lived in different cities and were not the person I was looking for.

This is totally ridiculous because how can one number turn up two different people who live in totally different cities and none of the results showed the one person I was looking for? I wanted the address of the person but unfortunately I didn't get it through Intelius. Save your money and use another service. You will regret it if you use Intelius.

Total waste of time and money

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

220 complaints