Having problems with Hertz?

Hertz reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 17, 2006. The latest review Herrz did not honor a reservation was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint $400 cleaning fee for smoking (I'm a non-smoker) was resolved on Nov 28, 2020. Hertz has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 1003 reviews. Hertz has resolved 122 complaints.

Hertz Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 654 3001 (United States)
+1 800 654 3131 (USA, Canada and Puerto Rico)
+44 207 365 3369 (United Kingdom)
+61 180 055 0078 (Australia)
+64 33 586 789 (New Zealand)
+43 179 532 (Austria)
+32 27 173 207 (Belgium)
+45 33 179 057 (Denmark)
+354 522 4400 (Iceland)
+31 202 013 519 (Netherlands)
+351 219 426 385 (Portugal)
+27 112 898 001 (South Africa)
999 Vanderbilt Beach Rd Fl 3
Naples, Florida
United States - 34108-3508

Hertz Complaints & Reviews

Apr 25, 2019

Hertz — car rental

To whom it may concern: My name is Elaine Ream Cistulli. My number is [protected]. I had an issue today...

Hertzincorrect charges of fuel - bad customer service - faulty vehicle

4/8/2019 RRH16729801 Hertz Rental 1405 Fort Worth Hwy Weatherford Tx 76086
I was charged for fuel when I returned the car rental. I returned the vehicle with the same amount of gas as the first day (4-1-19) I rented it. The rep (Jackie) charged me for gas because he was irritated because I brought the rental back (due to tire that kept losing air pressure) and went to Enterprise down the road.
I want a refund of $27.47 for the fuel charges charged to my debit card. Plus, Jackie rented me a Versa that had a faulty tire the first day I rented it. I had to put air in the tire everyday until 4-8-19. He would not change the vehicle out. This was a rental while my personal vehicle was in the body shop for repairs so l my insurance was paying for the rental.

Hertzadditional charges added upon arrival of picking up car???

My name is Linda B. Owen, 300 Windridge Lane, Ortonville, Michigan 48462, phone number [protected]. My email address is: [protected]@aol.com. I rented a car from you on March 22, 2019 and returned it on the night of March 25, 2019.(four days) Picked it up in Stuart, FL. Upon arrival I was told since I paid for it I had to be primary driver, and if I wanted my husband to drive it was an additional $15.00 a day. We had one driver my husband. I didn't have time to get another car somewhere else or I would have. They were not very nice either. I feel I should get a refund of the $75.06 extra I was charged. They over charged me an extra day also. I feel $111.06 was a fair price for four days but to be charged an extra $75.06 is not right!!! I travel a lot and have never ran into this situation before. I look forward to hearing from you on this very poor business transaction. This is not good business for sure. Thank you for your time in this matter.
    Respect,
    Linda B. Owen

Hertzno customer in customer service

I reserved a car, but was unable to complete the transaction due to a policy that would not accept my bank card unless I had a return flight home. My husband and I flew in with plans of driving home after spending some time in Bozeman. Your policies do not take in account customer circumstances. Sadly, our experience left a very poor reflection on your company, the Belgrade airport and the town of Belgrade/Bozeman. I think it's safe to say that we will not be flying into this airport, renting a car from your company nor will we be spending time in a place I often enjoyed visiting prior to this experience. The unprofessionalism of the staff visiting amongst themselves as well as other employees with neighboring car rental companies was appalling to say the least. No one was concerned with providing help but stating policies. Where is the customer in customer service? Well I think you need to re-examine your policies. How is it that I can purchase first class airfare, pay to stay at top end hotels and eat in nice restaurants all the while paying for such services with my bank account card? I may be only one customer, but let me say word of mouth advertising can be the best form of advertising or in my experience the worst form. Believe me when I say, I would happily sing your praises if I had a reason to do so, but I don't and will happily share my bad experience just the same so others do not experience the humiliation I did!

Hertzovercharge

Rented car at Cozumel Air Port April 6, 2019. Returned April 13th. Original charge to my credit card was $104.59 on April 6 (Correct amount). Also charge on April 15, $234.29. The $104.59 was pending on my account but then removed. The over charge or wrong amount remains on my account.

Rental Record #F1058290, dated April 6, 2019.

Contract name misspelled as Vadergrift, William

William Vandegrift
        DL# [protected]
        [protected]@yahoo.com
        [protected]

Hertzpoor condition of tires on rental car

3/29/19-3/31/2019 Rental
          [protected]
          Tires on rental car were almost completely bald. Driving conditions were snowy and icy and I do not consider the vehicle to be safe. This was discovered after the completion of our trip prior to returning the rental.
          I request a refund for at least one day of the rental ($71.00)
          I have included photos of the tires, the conditions we traveled through and for reference a photo of the tires on my personal vehicle.

Apr 11, 2019

Hertz Recruiter — complaint

I was recently contacted by a tyler renfro regarding employment with the coompany. I than informed him that I...

Apr 06, 2019

Hertz — additional charges added to my bill

On April 2, 2019 I rented an Altima that was dirty and full of pollen from your company. I got there around...

Apr 01, 2019

Hertz — charge for tire damage caused by hertz bad situation

Rental Record: [protected] Unsafe situation returning car, return lot was full, slowed down but was moving...

Hertzvan rental

I reserved a van 3 weeks ago and the day before i was to pick it up the hertz office on lancaster in salem or called and said the over booked so they did not have my van so i missed my family reunion and my cousins service i can not believe they could do that to some one when they think that they are set to be on there way and at last min they oull the car from under you knowing i could not find another one just as the man said when i reserved it oh it good to do it early spring break is busy i have posted about this and many people are pulling out of there car rentals i hope that store never gets another rental

HertzDnr on my account because employee of hertz didn't turn in my gift certificate when I returned the car. He kept it.

Years ago, about 5-7 years I do believe, we did a one way rental from Naples, Fl to Fort Myers. We were told there was no charge to drop off at the other airport but we were charged $200 for a one way rental drop off, of 35 miles away. I talked to the man in Naples and he gave me a gift certificate to pay for it in Fort Myers. We gave the gift certificate to the employee to pay for it and all was good. Then when we came to town the next time as we own two condos in Naples, there was a DNR on our account. We called regarding this and they said they were sorry but the employee who checked us in that day no longer worked for them, he was fired for theft. Well, we talked to Hertz to a manager and she said she was sorry and would make sure it was taken care of. Well that didn't happen as when we went to rent again around midnight we were turned down for the car and we ended paying over $100 for a hotel room and missed our event as we had no car. This has happened more than 3 times in the past few years. We stopped renting from Hertz because of this issue and because no one ever called us back from customer service. They sent us to collection and we sent all the paperwork to collection to show we didn't owe anything. Then about two years ago we were able to get the DNR finally taken off at Hertz. My husband for whom the DNR was on his account worked with the COO of Hertz and we are both very honest, giving, kind people who give thousands to charity every year, and he was able to get it removed. Well, here we are in Buffalo at midnight and we have a 50th Anniversary of a friend volunteering for Boy Scouts event and a 92nd birthday of my mother and low and behold they won't rent a car to him again. I am in one city waiting for him, and he now has to pay for a hotel again, he is exhausted as he flies daily as COO of Au Bon Pain and Panera Bread and again he can't rent a car, this time from Dollar. He also tried Thrifty and they also had a DNR on him because of Hertz who bought them. Today I finally got a number and talked to a lady who said, oh sorry there was one more step to remove the DNR and she could see they didn't finish it. We should be fine now In the meantime, we have had to pay for hotels, pay higher fees for our confirmed rentals as when we got there they wouldn't let us but they definitely let us reserve on line, and have missed some life events that has caused stress and tears and arguments due to Hertz, Dollar and Thrifty not taking car of business on their end and due to their employee stealing our gift certificate which we turned into them to pay the fee charged by the Naples rental car company of Hertz. We should be paid compensation and when I talked to a girl at Hertz today she basically said write to their customer relations of which I did a few years ago with a case number and no replies, no phone calls returned. This is very disturbing that a company like Hertz can put a family through all this stress due to their own employee stealing from us the customer. We have a credit rating of 830-860 at anytime and I was a police officer serving the public and also a Girl Scout volunteer for 33 years now. Where is the justice in all of this? They say it is removed now but I guess I have lost faith as I was told this before and when we go to rent it is still there. Where do I go for compensation on all the hotels we paid for, for the uncharges on other car rentals when we could get a car and for the stress and tears.
              Bernard and Charmayne Platt

Naples, Florida [protected]

Re: Michael Brown and Hertz at the Miami Airport
                Rewards No. [protected]

To whom it may concern:

The Naples address was given to me by Hertz customer service. The letter was returned as undeliverable at that address. This correspondence is again sent, this time, to the additional address above.

I have been a Gold or Gold Plus Rewards member for some time now. I try to reserve with Hertz whenever I travel on family trips. My recent Miami International reservation on 12/22/18, was about as bad as it can get.

To begin with, my name was not on the board when I arrived. This is something that I pay extra to Hertz for, i.e., that convenience. I was then forced to wait in the office on a line, which is something I always do not want to do, another reason why I don't mind paying more with Hertz. Once a service person spoke to me, I was informed that Hertz did not have the car I reserved. I had reserved well in advance of my arrival.

I was thereafter forced to wait until the attendant could figure out what to do. I must have been there more than a half-hour. This was after flying cross-country, having left very early in the morning. I was not at all interested in wasting my time, especially dur to the screw-up of Hertz.

Finally, I was given a vehicle and the key. My family loaded our luggage into the vehicle and they were inside the vehicle when I was informed that we had to take another vehicle. We had to take our luggage out and put the bags into yet another vehicle along with ourselves.

This was probably the worst customer service experience I have ever had with a rental car agency. It makes me wonder why I stay with Hertz, which I may no longer.

Very truly yours,

Very truly yours,

MICHAEL F. BROWN< ESQ.
                    [email protected]

• Updated by Michael F. Brown · Feb 16, 2019

This matter was not resolved.

Feb 14, 2019

Hertz — rental record #[protected] - date of rental 2/4/19

I am a driver as part of the Lyft/Hertz rental car program. I rented the car with a $250.00 deposit. While...

Feb 07, 2019

Hertz Car Rental — charge for so called damage to vehicle.

We are now very angry and dissatisfied with our treatment by Hertz Car Rentals as they are not listening to...

Feb 02, 2019

Hertz — quality service and being overcharged

Please review my rental history!! Ive been a loyal customer for over 20yrs! Its been promblems every wk. Like...

Hertzlyft express rental

Dear sirs:
                  I am a 64-year-old male, I think of average intelligence being able to understand English and follow directions, also having enough brain capacity to understand anything that directly equates to a job or task that I am involved in (if I don't understand I would do some quick research to at least get a grasp of a rudimentary understanding of what I was involved in or the products I was representing for the company I work for!!! If I still did not understand then I probably would not do that job, you know someone would notice)
                  I live in San Diego California, I recently applied and was accepted to be a driver for lyft. Through the Lyft web site, I was directed to the Hertz "express drive program" to rent a car for the Lyft program, All well and good so far!
                  Ok so at this point all I want is information i.e. cost of said rental, is insurance included, type of vehicles available etc. Maybe a brochure covering these points would be a good idea prices subject to change, you get the gist,
                  So, let's begin the quest (remember this is just to get information) shouldn't be hard right! You got a product to sell and I want to buy it, that's why you are in business and for all purposes I am the perfect consumer, I want your product.
                  Unfortunately, in San Diego your employees at three centers I inquired are either misinformed, poorly trained, or just don't care maybe all of the above, (this applies to desk personnel to a manager that I specifically asked to see) More on that later.
                  Attempt number one.
                  Hertz 761 Arnele Ave Ste 5, El Cajon · [protected]
                  Open 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
                  Here I was kept waiting with an empty front office for fifteen minutes, although I could here people in the back chatting and laughing (probably doing company business right) after all the place was so busy with absolutely no one there.
                  Eventually I was attended to by a young man, let's say of foreign origin. (before you get the impression this has a bigoted slant let me point out I am of foreign origin too)
                  To continue I make my enquiry about the Lyft express program, the gentleman of about 23 years looked at me like I was asking for the combination to fort Knox, I tried once more speaking a little slower with hand gestures imitating a steering wheel, it looked like a little light went on in his head and in broken English said "no San Diego" with a little more prompting being I was in San Diego county we figured out San Diego airport. I did ask since he had three vacant computers in front of him which I assume belong to Hertz if he could maybe research the Hertz express drive program and print out the information to save me a two hour round trip? "no San Diego" was his reply.

Attempt number two

Hertz rental center 3355, Admiral Boland Way, San Diego, USA, 92101.

First attempt the lady behind the desk had no information except that they don't handle lyft rentals there and she added several people per day come in with the same inquiry? She did direct me to Office: Hertz Lindbergh Field
                  Address: 3202 North Harbor Drive, San Diego, CA 92101 USA

I arrived at this third location and could only find a Nigerian gentleman who also had a limited English vocabulary, after several minutes he said in broken English that no Lyft here you go over there! Pointing back to where I had just come.
                  So back to 3355, Admiral Boland Way, this time I ask for a manager, guess what he insists I go back to the place I just drove from, Out of pure frustration I asked him if he could look at this product on the Hertz computer system just to give me the information I need, again he said he knew nothing about it and did I realize how many different things Hertz offered? I guess this was his way of saying he did not know the products Hertz sells or that he represents! But he did offer me a coffee, I declined as it may have slipped out of my hand all over him.

So back to the Hertz representative from Nigeria, ahh now he remembers this is Lyft where he works…..but the office is closed today its Saturday……have a nice day!

Do you have any openings for a regional manager?

Jan 19, 2019

Hertz — deceitful behavior

I am writing to inform you that I could not find my driver's license after renting a car from Hertz at the...

Hertz Express Driveservice

As a Lyft driver the Hertz Express Drive program is said to be a partner however they function more like the enemy of the Lyft Driver. I've used the Torrance and San Fernando Rd. locations in the Los Angeles market. At both locations the Lyft staff are just people movers they are not empowered to help or truly assist drivers in any tangible way when it comes to the cars. The Hertz staff is cold, distant, unprofessional and vendictive towards drivers. When a driver brings a car in because it isn't operating appropriately, once tested and the need for repair confirmed the vehicle should be exchanged immediately. Not doing so is a hardship and loss of money for the driver; not to mention a loss in income to Lyft while the driver is off the road. Further if a driver brings the SAME vehicle in for a second issue, again penalizing a driver for a vehicle that is less than road worthy is inappropriate and not the ideal model for a "partnership". Mayra is the mgr at the San Gabriel location. I found her to lack tact and professionalism. I overheard her trash talk a driver to other staff because she thought no one was listening. Her attitude is one of too bad that's the policy, you can wait or leave I don't care. I brought a vehicle in for a second time. The car was trashed and should have NEVER been rented to a driver in the first place. Breaks gone, muffler rattling and barely attached and the transmission failed to shift appropriately. The was not safe but rented out anyway. On my second return because Mayra refused to exchange the car and make me wait for close to 3 hours for the breaks to be changed. Needless to say, not addressing g the transmission or muffler issues. Although the repair technicians were LITERALLY standing around laughing and talking with her and no work being done to the car. This program needs to function like a REAL partnership for the drivers or it needs to be eliminated. Don't allow Mayra or any other manager to send a driver out in a less than safe vehicle EVER again. If the driver is killed in an accident in an unsafe vehicle we know she won't take responsibility for will you? Hands down Mayra is the worst rrepresentation of what the company and the program are supposed to stand for. You've been warned.

service
                    service

Hertz, Hollywood Pepboy's Locationbad and misleading, unfair services

The car I was given was not driving properly it broke down I brought it in and had a full tank of gas I was given a car one which was not good and had a quarter tank I was told to come back today to have my gas reimbursed to me no I'm here and it's a problem and I'm losing money I lost money yesterday after being here for about 4 hours and today I'm still here without service and Nigel specifically told me that I should come and he would give me my gas back today now I'm here he's not here and I'm getting the runaround.

bad and misleading, unfair services

Jan 04, 2019

Hertz — reserved a car and when I got there was told there were none available

I reserved a car on Wed on 1/2 and walked in with my confirmation and took an Uber to Hertz. The associate...