Having problems with Hertz?

Hertz reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 17, 2006. The latest review Herrz did not honor a reservation was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint $400 cleaning fee for smoking (I'm a non-smoker) was resolved on Nov 28, 2020. Hertz has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 1003 reviews. Hertz has resolved 122 complaints.

Hertz Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 654 3001 (United States)
+1 800 654 3131 (USA, Canada and Puerto Rico)
+44 207 365 3369 (United Kingdom)
+61 180 055 0078 (Australia)
+64 33 586 789 (New Zealand)
+43 179 532 (Austria)
+32 27 173 207 (Belgium)
+45 33 179 057 (Denmark)
+354 522 4400 (Iceland)
+31 202 013 519 (Netherlands)
+351 219 426 385 (Portugal)
+27 112 898 001 (South Africa)
999 Vanderbilt Beach Rd Fl 3
Naples, Florida
United States - 34108-3508

Hertz Complaints & Reviews

Hertz UKcar rental damage claim

We arrived to pick up the vehicle in Inverness Scotland, the Hertz representative instructed us to review the vehicle's exterior for defects such as dents and scratches; there were no exterior defects identified upon our initial inspection. During the initial hour of use, the driverside sunvisor fell from the interior headliner when attempting to unfold; it was clear that the sunvisor was not secured properly to the interior headliner. Upon returning the vehicle, we notified the Hertz representative of the situation in which he stated we would be liable for the damage. IN contacting Hertz customer service (proactively), I have attached the Damage Appraisal Report referencing his assessment.

Upon reviewing the Honda installation manual for this vehicle, the instructions specify that a tool would be required to remove a sunvisor, which leads us to believe the vehicle was damaged prior to us taking possession and the sunvisor was incorrectly re-installed.

Having previously used Hertz, it was surprising how a company representative would make such an assessment of liability given the following:
1. We were directed by a Hertz representative to evaluate the exterior portion of the vehicle. Even if she had asked to evaluate the interior portion, would Hertz expect their customers to test every mechanical or functional item? This seems unrealistic.
2. The Honda installation manual states that a tool is required to remove a sunvisor from their vehicles.

Prior to this incident, we were content using Hertz for our car rentals, at least in the US; however, based on this experience, we WILL NEVER use Hertz for future rentals anywhere they rent vehicles. We wrote a letter to their damage collections department to discuss their GBP 177.26 charge and was surprised by their response: they would not rescind.

Never again.

Hertzunethical behavior

On June 4, 2019 I picked up a rental car from the Hertz facility in Plainfield, Illinois 60585. Facility Plainfield - South Route 59 HLE 11914 South Route 59, Plainfield, Illinos 60585. The branch manager, Jason Skores did hand off the vehicle. While doing so, he made a sarcastic remark concerning my wife, being a control freak. I am not a sensitive person and let it pass. However, your branch manager, Jason Skores should not use derogatory terms while speaking about your customers. This is not good customer service. I believe this matter should be addressed. He should be REPIMANDED or REMOVED from this facility.

Hertzcar rental

I rented a minivan for a family vacation for 2 weeks. I realized I could not pick the car up on Saturday before noon and called and said I needed to pick it up on Monday instead (because they are closed on Sunday). I was still going to return the car on the same date. Because it was more than 24 hours (because they are closed on Sunday), I had to change the reservation. I said fine, change the date from Saturday to Monday with the same drop off day (so instead of renting it for 14 days, I would rent it for 12 days. The informed me that it would then cost $200 more! To rent it for 2 less day! Because that is a system generated amount and depends on availability. I said, of course its available. It was available on Saturday, why would it not be available on Monday? It is closed on Sunday! And I was willing to pay the same amount for 2 less days but NOT $200 more! I cancelled the reservation, which also cost me $50 but better than $200.

Hertzbeing denied the use of my hertz vouchers as a form of payment at the rental location

Upon returning rental to Natchitoches location the angent would not allowed me to use any on the vouchers to assist with payment.His statement was since i had paid for the car with my credit card in advance he had no way to allow the use of the voucher. i would like to use these vouchers to assist with the payment and have my credit card refunded the amount of the vouchers. Prior to booking the car i spoke with a coustomer service rep insuring me that i could use the vouchers upon return of the vehicle.

Hertzrental car charges in ireland

Reservation #H93221264C0
          Pick-up: April 18, 2019 @ Dublin Airport (Ireland)
          Drop-off: April 26th, 2019 @ Dublin Airport (Ireland)
          Standard automatic vehicle rental
          -Experience with Hertz in Ireland was disastrous. Reserved car through Hertz website and was quoted 364.28 Euros for the rental due at time of pick-up. Price quoted in Ireland by extremely discourteous lady was triple that as she proceeds to tell my daughter that it is for insurance coverage. Hertz NEVER stated that insurance coverage was to be included in the price she was quoted. In fact, it was originally quoted to her as "optional insurance", KNOWING she was traveling international. The charge on my credit card ended up being three times expected, over $1200. RIDICULOUS. Seems unethical and quite frankly a bit short of scandalous. Both my daughter and I would like immediate attention and resolve to this situation and am prepared to take further action if needed.
          Mary Kay Padgett

Hertzgas

I rented a vechical from Hertz on June 3 2019 with 8/8 tank of gas in it and returned it on June 8 2019 with 8/8 tank of gas. But they charged me $49.00 for gas, which is incorrect, because i returned it with the same amout of that wsin it when i rented it. My RR # is [protected]. I have enclosed a copy of my receipt as well. My name is Greta Squire and my # is [protected] is there is need to contact me.

gas

Jun 05, 2019

Hertz — rent a car

HERTZ just robbed me now almost $1500 !!! BE CAREFUL: HERTZ is incredibly fraudulent. I've been robbed...

Hertzovercharged

On May 26th I rented a Hertz car through Expedia. When I picked up the car at Sarasota airport, I gave them my name and quickly signed and was given the keys. Seemingly great service. When I got home, I quickly realized that they had charged me for extra insurance etc. Leading to an additional 180 dollars!! When I called an agent# 7088 Vanessa they said that because I signed the contract they could only offer me a 30 dollar credit. I told her that I was absolutely scammed and I wanted a full refund for the additional charges. She insisted that that she was the highest supervisor there and that was all she could do. I've rented many cars this year traveling back an forth to visit my fiance and NEVER have I been overcharged. I was always asked if I wanted additional coverage etc. I can only imagine that the reps at the airport get a commission and scammed the hell out of me. I don't have the extra money and feel that I should be refunded. I'm sick to my stomach.

Hertzfwd: my lease form

Attached, I have outlined the issue I had when I rented a car in Copenhagen, Denmark where I was on holiday with my family. We were visiting from Canada. I have also attached a copy of the Rental Agreement #30 655866 3 which is in my daughters name, Karen Halse.

I felt I had been taken advantage of and double paid for some of the insurance. We should have cancelled and re-booked to avoid the additional charges, but acted on the information we had received prior to picking up the car. I felt like I was taken advantage of and because of our time restrictions, was unable to recify the issue at the time. To cancel and re-book adding the additional insurance.

I rented the car in my daughter's name, Karen Halse, as she would be the driver because of my age.

Hertz certainley put a low on our trip of a lifetime!!!

Hanne Rossitter

fwd: my lease form
                fwd: my lease form

Hertzsubmitting an unauthorized charge

Rental record [protected]
                  I rented a vehicle on May 6 at 8;30 am and returned vehicle on thursday may 9 at 9:30 am. The vehice only had less that an quarter of gas in the tank. I went into the office
                  and asked that I am suppose to get a full tank, the salesman said don't worry just return the car as the tank was, On friday may 31 you submitted a charge of $20.85 I am assuming that this charge is for gas. Can you please reverse the charge as it is an fraudulent charge. Also, are the rentals billed at 24 hours (which is a day) because I was charged for (4) days and not (3)?
                  Rented at Greensboro, nc 5/6 at 8:03 am

Hertzcar rental

I have spent 4 hours attempting to get quote on car rental in Shannon Ireland.
                    Reserv # J040761252. I am told e-mail has been sent. I have made multiple calls to have this corrected, with no satisfaction. Never is. At times the person states they will transfer me to a manager but call is just disconnected. This is the worst service I have ever experienced. Being a gold member is useless.

Dr. Stuart Silberstein

Hertzhertz rr: [protected]. hertz loyalty number (five star) # [protected] tire charge on my most recent rental.

I picked up my Hertz rental car (2019 Chevy Equinox) on Friday, May 24 at 7:50am at Sky Harbor Airport in Phoenix. We drove it straight to our home, mostly on the freeway, and pulled into the garage. We went out several hours later and the right rear tire was almost flat. Upon further inspection, it had a piece of metal in the tread. I called AAA and they came to my home and changed the tire. I then called Hertz and was given a case number and directed to a Firestone store. The store manager explained the tire could not be fixed and called Hertz to explain the situation and received a PO number from Hertz to replace the tire. At no time was I made aware of the cost to replace the tire. Both the Firestone and the Hertz personnel I dealt with were very professional and helpful. I thought the issue was resolved until I returned the car this morning and received a charge of $216.32 on my receipt. Given the short time and minimal highway miles driven, I believe there was a reasonable chance that the tire already had the metal stuck in it a at the time of pickup. I acknowledge there is no way for me to prove or disprove this theory. I called customer upon my return home and explained the situation. The customer service agent was very pleasant and left the call for several minutes before returning to say there was nothing she could do. I conveyed my disappointment as a Five Star Member and asked to speak with her supervisor. Her supervisor, Ed in Oklahoma, was extremely unsympathetic and downright rude. I was taken back by this as this is my 14th rental from Hertz this calendar year and I have never encountered this type of treatment from any Hertz team member. In fact, my experience overall has been very positive in the past. Although I am very disappointed with the charge given the uncertainty of when the tire was originally damaged and my status a Five Star member, I am even more upset with the attitude of Ed in Oklahoma. As a very loyal Hertz customer, I am requesting some remedy to this situation so I can continue to do business with the company in the future. Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Mark Kolkhorst

Hertzcar sales

My negative car buying experience from the manager at Hertz Car Sales in SLC Ut. 3681 So. State Street.

I had a car accident and needed to rent a car. Since I've rented from Hertz before I decided to rent again and then decided to buy a car from Hertz after my rental was up and on Christmas Eve of 2018 (5 months ago) I bought a 2017 Haundai Accent. Liana that took me on the test drive and did the paper work for me was really nice! She was great to deal with and is a nice and caring person. I did have issues with the manager though! Pete, Paul, *Phil?
                        *When I went into his office to do the paperwork for the loan, he signed me up with Chase bank and set an amount that I couldn't afford. He said I could go into the bank to have it fixed to the amount that I could pay afterwards, saying that he does this all the time. I went into Chase quite a few times and talked to different people. They each told me that they couldn't re-do the loan! It was suggested that I go through my credit union to re-finance my car and get a loan that I could afford through them. I had previously put a down payment on my car from what I received back from my previous car accident. I couldn't get a loan though my credit union for the amount that was left owing because the amount was too low for a loan. I went back to Chase to get a payoff loan from them. The amount owing was less than $4, 000 (The smallest loan that was available) after a while of going back and forth trying to get a loan, I ended up getting a loan from my parents. If this was set up right the first time, all of this wouldn't have had to happen.
                        *My licence plate took over 30 days to get to me. I use my car for work and needed a physical licence plate, not just a temp. I went down to Hertz and spoke with Liana, she was surprised that I hadn't received it yet and had it expedited. I received it the same day. It was the wrong option though but I needed one and I had to accept it.
                        *There was a rattle in my car and when I mentioned that to the manager, he laughed and said 'just turn up the radio and you won't hear it'. I told him that wouldn't fix the problem, I received no response. I still have the rattle in my car and would like to get that fixed.
                        *There were no car mats in the car when I bought it too.
                        *I've bought several cars over the years and I've never had to deal with what I did because the manager didn't want to do his job. I can't believe he's the manager of this or any location. I felt disrespected, unheard and unappreciated. He didn't care about me or what I could afford, he just wanted to sell a car. When people that work there say that you should complain, that says something.
                        I don't like to complain but I don't want anyone else to have to deal with the same things I did. It did take me a while to complain but I wanted to get most of the issues resolved first. If you have any questions, you can reach me at [protected]@hotmail.com or [protected].

Jody Mead

• Updated by TinyonJo · May 20, 2019

First post.

Hertzcustomer service at bullhead city, arizona airport unethical behavior

My husband and I fly in from Fresno on MAy 10, 2019 and i had reserved a car at the end of April. When I arrived at the counter a young lady (18?) with Daisy Duke shorts on helped me. After taking my information she informed me my car was given to someone else and that my reservation was for Noon when my flight didn't arrive until 4:30pm. She was very rude to me. When I asked to speeak to a Supervisor (her MOM had to be they looked alike) came out and was even ruder. When I asked for my money back she informed me I had to talk to hotwire when she know full well that Hertz is the one that charged my credit card. I ended up renting a car from Enterprise. I WILL NEVER rent a car from Hertz again. To get my refund I had to call my credit card and let them deal with it. I tried calling Hertz but was left on hold 20 mins +.

Hertzcharges for $300 for supposed ashes somewhere in the car.

I picked up a car at the Raleigh Durham airport on 5-12, and returned it on 5-15. When I returned it, the man got in the car, looked around, and gave me my receipt. I mentioned there was a pop can under the seat when I picked it up, but he didn't seem to notice or care. When I got home, I checked my email, and found they had charged me $300 for supposed ashes somewhere in the car. How can they find ashes, and not a pop can? I use a vape, and it doesn't drop ashes. I think they were mad because I mentioned the pop can. I called Hertz immediately, and they said there's nothing they can do. I got upset, and said I was pursuing this, and then she said I could file a complaint. I filed the complaint, and I know what their answer will be. Never again, and I'm a member of the presidents club. No more, I'll go back to National who's at least honest.
                            Mick Lathrop/ res # J02623504F6

Hertzpagamento in eccesso alla fattura

Buongiorno, relativamente al contratto 34/4180616 mi é stato addebitato sulla mia carta MasterCard [protected] un importo di 187.89 Euro corrispondente all 'importo fatturato in data 6.5 alle ore 19.34 piu un importo di euro 59.00 nella stessa data alle ore 10.48

Non essendoci ragione per tale addebito ve ne chiedo il rimborso

Maurizio Vaghi
                              Via Sardegna 23
                              MILANO

Hertzcell phone

Nissan Versa - Blue rented at AustinBergstrom Airpport.
                                lis number KSM6645
                                RENTED on the 7th and returned on the 14th.
                                completed by 5750.
                                Left Samsumg s6 in the car at the return rental station. 100% sure.
                                I know that I was responsible to make sure that I had all of my belongings. but
                                no one to really check in car just person told me to leave keys in it and they would
                                send me a receipt.
                                When I got to terminal I remembered that I had left my phone in the car and went back to Hertz to check and see if It was found. It had only been 30 minutes. Of course no one found it. I am checking to see if it was found and turned in later.

Glenna Hopkins
                                please call [protected] (Rick Hopkins) Husband if located Please.

Hertzfraudulent charge on my cc

I just recently received a new credit card from my bank after it was replaced due to a couple of fraudulent charges they've noticed and one of which was Hertz. There's a charge from you that I didn't know about so I tagged that as fraud. Fast forward to today, after receiving my card, I activated it and it's only been in used for a week. I haven't updated anything yet to use this card other than my google fiber account. When I checked my CC statement, I saw a new charge from Hertz, transaction was made last April 29 and it got posted May 1. Note that my CC got activated April 26 or 27. I never have used my card in any rental nor I have made any car rental bookings at all yet on the given dates so how am I charged on this new card already? And the said transaction was in Oklahoma. How are you able to get hold of my card details? Can you fix this? Stop charging me for other people's transactions

Hertzsuburban or yukon xl not available when promised

On March 15, 2019, my wife and I celebrated our 50th Anniversary. For our anniversary, my sons, were taking my wife and I to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. I am a retired IBM employee. We received a nice discount through IBM. My son, Matthew, would be doing most of the driving. Around the 15th of March we talked with Nick in the Poughkeepsie, NY Hertz office. Since my son and his family (5 people), my wife and I would be in the vehicle, along with their/our luggage, what vehicle would Hertz recommend. We were told either a Chevy Suburban of a Yukon XL would work for us. So, we asked to reserve either of those vehicles. Nick told us he put in the reservation. We would pick up the Suburban or Yukon XL on Friday 04/12/2019. We offered to pay a deposit, but were assured a deposit wasn't necessary. We were assured we had reserved the vehicle.
                                    On 04/09/2019 I called the Hertz Poughkeepsie Office just to make sure the Suburban or Yukon XL would be there. Talked to Nick again and was told it would be there. We could pick the Suburban or Yukon XL around 4:00 pm on 04/12/2019.
                                    On 04/12/2019, we were a little strapped for time, so I called the Hertz office and asked if we could pick up the Suburban or Yukon XL at about 1:00 pm instead of 4:00 pm. There was a long pause on the other end of the phone. I don't remember the fellows name, but he told us the Suburban wasn't there. However, they had an Infinity QX80 we could have. I asked if it was the same size and could fit 7 adults and their luggage. He stated it would and it was the same size as the Suburban. We could pick it up at 1:00 pm.
                                    We arrived at Hertz in Poughkeepsie around 12:30 pm. As soon as I saw the QX80 I knew it would not fit 7 adults and their luggage. We talked to one of the gals at the desk and voiced our concern. With that a Gal from the back office came out. I suspect she was the manager/supervisor. She stated she had been on the phone the day before and that day, trying to locate a vehicle for us, but none were available. I told her we were leaving at 4:30 am the next morning and what were we supposed to do. I felt we had exercised reasonable responsibility in contacting Hertz and following up. Hertz had not done the same. The Supervisor stated, "Well a T6 vehicle could not be reserved". I asked her how we would know that? I got no reply. We were also told, by the Supervisor, that Hertz cannot guarantee any reserved vehicle will be there when the customer arrives. Really? I never had a problem in 30 years. Guess Hertz has changed their policies. We felt our 50 Anniversary trip would be ruined.
                                    I also asked her why Hertz felt that an Infinity QX80 was the same size as a Chevy Suburban. Clearly it is not. I again stated, "how are we going to get 7 adults and their luggage in the QX80?" Her response was well you can't. We left Hertz upset and with a bad taste in our mouth.in the 30 years I worked for IBM, never had I been treated in such a way, by Hertz.
                                    Questions:
                                    • Why didn't Hertz let us know that the Suburban or Yukon XL could not be reserved?
                                    • Why were we not notified immediately, by the Supervisor, the vehicle might not be there when we arrive. She spent a day and a half trying to locate a Suburban or Yukon XL. Had we know the day and a half prior, we could of tried to make other arrangements.
                                    • Why were we told., twice that the vehicle would be there and it wasn't?
                                    • Is the QX80 really the same size as the Suburban? The Poughkeepsie Office says it is.
                                    It appeared our trip was ruined. It would have been, but Enterprise bailed us out with Dodge Caravan.
                                    Bottom line-. The Caravan was tight, but it worked. Because of Hertz not having the Suburan as promised, we rented a smaller vehicle and paid $410 more. I wonder if any other IBMer has experienced these same problems. I'll have to contact IBM.
                                    By the way-may son also wrote an e-mail to Poughkeepsie Hertz office Supervisor's Manager. He never received a response.
                                    Carl Bogart
                                    40 Marian Ave
                                    Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
                                    [protected]

Hertzroadside assistance & ocala airport location

Hertz Rental Agreement # [protected] - Hertz #1 Five Star # [protected]
                                      Case # [protected]
                                      04/15/2019 - Picked up rental car in North Myrtle Beach - No problems noted
                                      04/16/2019 - Drove from North Myrtle Beach to Ocala, Florida
                                      04/17/[protected] - Started the vehicle at my hotel in Ocala, Florida and had the following error message appeared
                                      • BRAKE SYSTEM - Brake System Problem. Brake Performance May Be Reduced. See your dealer
                                      • EMISSION SYSTEM PROBLEM - Avoid Heavy Acceleration and High Speed. See your dealer
                                      • ROAD DEPARTURE MITIGATION - System Problem. See your dealer
                                      • COLLISION MITIGATION - Braking System Problem. See your dealer
                                      • ACC - Adaptive Cruise Control. System Problem. See your dealer
                                      Called Roadside Assistance immediately and told me to take the vehicle to the airport which was only 4 miles away so we immediately headed to the Ocala International Airport for an exchange vehicle. When we arrived, Gregory Hudson, Management Associate advised the manager Benjamin Merritt would assist me. Mr. Merritt informed me they had not received a call from Hertz to secure a vehicle for exchange and that they had no cars at all. He advised he would have the car looked at and possible reset the system. He was advised that resetting the system was not an option as we were on a 2 week trip and we needed another car. As we were talking, his phone rang and he pawned me off on Gregory again and went into his office and closed the door. Gregory advised there was nothing they could so. Neither of the gentlemen bothered to look at other locations in the surrounding area nor any other location. We called Hertz Roadside assistance and found we could drive to Gainesville (an hour away) to exchange our Full-size car for a midsize car. They were asked if they could deliver the car due to what we felt was an unsafe vehicle with all the warning messages and we advised they could not. We drove from Ocala to Gainesville scared we were going to have brake failure and kept the vehicle at a slower speed. While en route to Gainesville we called Roadside Assistance back 3 times trying to locate another car and it wasn't until we demanded to speak with a Supervisor that we spoke to Janet. She was most helped and called us back to advise she had secured a Full-size vehicle for exchange in Orlando with Todd Miller. Mr. Miller had advised Janet for us to ask for Carolina upon arrival. Once we arrived, we went to Customer Service to speak with Carolina and waited for 40 mins and she never responded to any pages or calls from staff. The agent in the booth was embarrassed and after telling him the problems, took care of the issue and we received our car as well as a $75 Customer Satisfaction Car Rental Certificate. Once we received the vehicle we were able to finish our trip and returned to North Myrtle Beach on 4/28/2019 and will return the exchanged vehicle 04/29/2019.
                                      We have never had an experience like this with Hertz be it a Home Location or an Airport Location in years of rentals and were appauled by the service received from both Roadside Assistance 800 and the Ocala International Airport location.
                                      Your attention to this matter would be greatly appreciated and would very much like a response and compensation for our loss of 1 full vacation day.
                                      Regards,