Fred MeyerDiscrimination

E Nov 06, 2020

I was discriminated against on fred meyers 3805 se hawthorne at approximately 9pm on 11/05/2020 by the cashier and manager "tim".

I had wine in my cart and gave the cashier my ecuadorian passport because i forgot my us id at home. She immediately looked at me suspiciously and kept looking at my passport until she told me it had expired in 2014. Tim then told me the passport had to be valid in order to be accepted.

I then realized they had looked at the wrong date and my passport was valid.
When i pointed they had made a mistake, the manager now argued that it had to be a us passport.
I knew for a fact that was incorrect since i passed an alcohol certification and educated him on the states alcohol regulations. He told me dismissively that those were kroger policies.
I asked him to show me the policy that he's referencing and thats when he came back with the book of policies for the store where it clearly stated any valid passport is a form of acceptable identification to purchase alcohol.
Immediately after he saw that line he closed the book and told me it had to be a valid us passport again.
This is where i knew i was being discriminated against because of my foreign passport and this person would not accept they were wrong.
I complained about this treatment and he just told me they didn't have to sell me alcohol and quote "do you know you can just buy alcohol anywhere else?".
He had a grudge with me for absolutely no reason other than racism and didn't want to be caught being wrong in front of 5 other staff that were just standing there and seemed annoyed that i disturbed their chit chat.

I filmed the book with the policies stating a valid passport is an accepted form of id and he told me i was making him uncomfortable by filming and told me to leave.
At no point was i rude or did anything that deserved this kind of treatment and discrimination.  i'm a soft spoken, 5'3 female trying to make sense why they were refusing the sale with no valid justification.

This person is just not trained to be a manager and clearly never even read their policies.
He made a call and was told to sell the wine to me. When i was paying i told him he needs to train the staff to avoid this discriminatory treatment and he told me " how many ecuadorian passports do you think we get around here?"

It's not only discrimination, he acted in a belittling and disrespectful way. His ignorance and lack of empathy are unacceptable.
I can understand the cashier making a mistake- or even the manager not knowing your store (or the state's) policies on valid id, but what i cannot understand is why after confirming with the policy book that the i was correct, he would still deny it so firmly and treat me badly in front of the rest of the store.

Discrimination

• Sm
    SMS32 Dec 09, 2020

It was VERY disrespectful. I'm not so sure if it was actually racism or just stupidity on his part. Kroger employees, for the most part are a bit rude, and lack knowledge. But, it's because training comes from the top.

I was, for many years, a vendor of Fred Meyer. They owed my company over $20K and when I wrote to the CEO, he never answered, and we never received our payment. Their Accounting Dept is rude, the CEO is rude, so I am not surprised that the management is rude as well. I believe they do not train their employees well. And, their employees are always right, which is odd. It used to be "the customer is always right.

Maybe with your note, you have shamed Tim. One can hope.