[Resolved] Empire Todayhardwood floors installation - sub standard & inferior quality wood

Per the contract signed on 07/27/2017 with Empire Today, activity ID 1- [protected], the company was supposed to install Newport 3.25 hardwood for 2 rooms: living room and dining room in my house at Woodridge, IL 60517. However, the installation was done with a sub-standard and inferior quality hardwood, namely, Armstrong Bruce 3.25, APK3416LG.

The installation was completed on 08/01/2017, and from the day one, I have started observing multiple scratches and chippings all over the newly installed floor. Accordingly, I have called Empire Today to visit and to address the issues. The company has asked the installer to do a touch up work which has been completed. However, even after the touch up, I have observed new scratches, marks, and chippings. Meanwhile I researched the (installed) Armstrong Bruce hardwood complaints on the internet and I have found that it's a sub-standard and inferior quality hardwood which is easily susceptible to scratches and chippings!

Upon making further contacts with the Empire Today Customer Relation section, the company has sent an inspector for having a fresh review and assessment of the repair issues. Accordingly, they have agreed to replace about fifteen (15) plus wooden planks and an offer of $ 500 for the inconvenience. I have turned down this offer, as it would only address the current problems but not the major issue of installing an inferior and sub-standard quality wood which is susceptible to marks, scratches, and chips off. Moreover, replacing a few of those wooden planks is more destructive and is not a seamless operation.

On my part, I have asked them for a simpler solution - to provide a Buff and two coats of water based polyurethane coats which could shield the surface from further chips off and marks. I am yet to hear from the company on this proposed solution!

• Resolution Statement

• Empire Today Customer Care's Response · Oct 30, 2017

Dear Brij,
    We're disappointed to hear that this was your experience, and sincerely regret the inconvenience. We'll be in touch with you soon to further address your concerns, and start working on a resolution.
    Thank you.