Complaints & Reviews

overpriced and inferior staff!

If you have flooring needs, I plead that you never do business with empire today. Their prices are ridiculou...

failure to provide service or carpet offered

Empure Carpet came to our home and measured the carpet. We purchased the carpet after the salesman reasurred us repeatedly that they move furniture and boxes and the warranty covers pet stains( we have a puppy). Empire arrived and their crew (two people) said they do not move furniture and carpet and pet stains are not covered. They left the job saying they were going to cancel the job leaving exposed tack strip all over the steps. It was disgraceful and harmful to my family. Our house was a mess and left disheveled while we ordered new carpet from another company and had to wait over two weeks to get the carpet. Empire claims their salepeople don't work for them and are independent contractors. Beware. In my opinion, this company is running a huge scam.

• Jn
    JnF Dec 27, 2008

The product is satisfactory, but forget about service after the sale! I left two messages with customer service (where they say you will receive a call back in 24 hours). When I called again, the woman said --- oh you must have talked to your sales person. I said, no, I have two reference numbers from customer service -- do you want to hear them? She got very quiet. BUT, we did not get ANY response until my husband was able to reach the manager of custer service. The problem was that the installation did not properly fit the space and they did not care. Finally, they fixed the problem, but it took weeks.

switch and bait!

When I decided to get laminate flooring from empire carpet in 2003, three different salesmen from that company came to my home and gave me three different prices on the same living room floor for the same product. I ended up having to hire an attorney for over $2,500.00, which I'm still paying off the loan for the attorney, and I ended up having to still pay the switch and bait price for the laminate floor even though the attorney charged Empire carpet with 21 counts of not being fair. The floor was supposed to cost me $1100.00. The final charge was $2600.00. I ended up paying $1300.00, plus the attorney fees.

They attorney didn't want to pursue the case and the case was dismissed. The attorney told me I had won my case, but I felt like I 'd gotten the bad end of the stick, because three different salesmen from Empire carpet came into my home and lied to me about the price of the job for the lainmate floor.

Because of Empire carpet, I'll Never trust salesmen in my home, ever AGAIN. Empire carpet has no RESPECT for the consumers or WOMEN that are head of their household. Thank you Empire carpet for teaching me never to trust home products salesmen in my home ever again.

• Ka
    Kathy Green May 07, 2008

I have to admit I was going to call both Empire Carpeting and National Floors Direct to replace the carpeting throughout my home, along with having laminate flooring installed by the front door and in the dining area...but after reading the complaints there is no way I will do business with either company.

I want to thank all the people who took the time out of their busy lives to write in about the truth of these two companies...I only hope the saying "wht goes around comes around" holds some truth to companies like Empire and National Floors Direct.

I'm taking my business to either Home Depot or Lowes.

• Es
    Estella Granado May 20, 2008

BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!! I called Empire Today on 5/20/2008 and spoke to a representative named William. I gave them my information and scheduled my appt. I then proceeded to ask him where the company was located cause I'd never heard of them or seen stores anywhere and he became very sarcastic and said we are a national company. That means we don't have retail stores. I then asked him if the representative that would come out to the house would have samples and if I would get a final quote at the end of the visit and he said very rudely WELL YES! That is why you have an appt. I then asked him why he was annoyed by my questions. I am wanting to know about the company and how it works. Is there something wrong with that? He said I don't understand why you are asking these unecessary questions. I then told him to cancel my appointment! If they are this rude on the phone I would hate to see someone like that in my home. After hanging up I decided to look up this company and found lots of complaints from other people. I AM MOST FORTUNATE NOT HAVE DONE BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

overcharged

i had empire today install new carpet a few months back. the salesman measured the rooms and claimed i needed 160 yards of carpet. at a price of over $6000.00 .After feeling i got ripped off i checked the installers receipt and discovered they only installed 120 yards of carpet. after a few days of runaround the empire today salesman admitted the mistake and refunded me the overcharge. since then i have had carpet put in other parts of the house by other companies and they could have done the job empire today did for 2500.00 less. if you already used empire today check your work orders and look for any measument"mistakes" .i'm sure the salseman work on commission

• Gl
    Glenn Aug 26, 2008

I just purchased carpet from Empire-Today and verified work order. I was charged for 200 yards, but they only ordered 155 yards. Salesmen obviously knew that he was quoting us and charging us an inflated amount. They ended up needing 158 yards because the role they brought was only 150 yards, so the needed something 8 feet wide to finish the job. Either way, they're still charging over 25% more for goods and services they are not deliverying.

I will be calling customer service tomorrow to ask for credit refund of difference. wish me luck!

damage to home and then unresponsive to complaints

I had flooring from Empire installed in my house in October 2005. Biggest mistake of my life.

The first day they were there, not only did Empire not finish the job, but they tried to get my contractor and his employees who were there installing a new ceiling, to help them carry their materials upstairs and asked them to finish the job, rehang closet doors and put down the trim. Empire also did not dispose of the old carpeting as we had agreed.

I had my contractor dispose of the carpeting and when I called Empire to complain, I received a credit for that and they said they would send someone out the following day to finish the job that I was paying them to do. Big mistake once again. One of the 2 Empire installers used my bathroom w/o asking and backed up the toilet. I was sitting downstairs doing some work on the computer and water started pouring through the ceiling lights and the brand new ceiling that had just been installed a few days before. I ran upstairs and opened the bathroom door to find the woman trying to sop up the water with towels. She didn't call for help. She didn't turn off the water. Nothing. When I asked what happened, she said the tank started overflowing. This is virtually impossible and the plumber I called that day confirmed for me that there was nothing wrong with my toilet. Also, the other Empire installer she was working with claimed to be a plumber and gave me his number to call to come back and fix it. I was in shock to say the least.

Anyway, I spent about a year trying to get in touch with someone at Empire who could help m. Every time I spoke with customer Service I was transferred to someone's voicemail and never got a call back. When I finally did get in touch with someone who was helpful in the NJ installation office, she put me in touch with someone who could help, Sam, also located in the south Jersey installation office. After speaking with him several times, he told me he was going to contact the installers insurance company to resolve this matter. To the best of my knowledge this was never done. I have tried since to reach Sam and he has not returned my calls.

DO NOT USE EMPIRE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! I also found out later that Empire caused substantial damage to my neighbor's new drywall when carpeting was installed on her stairs.

• De
    deana Nov 07, 2007

I am tempted to agree. On a big job, the first crew was excellent. The second down right rude and abusive. When trying to handle the situation the next day, they were willing to put off fixing the problem. The cutomer service reps appeared to be there to annoy you into giving up.I finally reached the GM after approx 8 csa's. The only reason, I reached him was because I demanded it and fought hard.

No one should fight that hard to have a customer complaint handled. It seemed to me, that once the flooring was in, we did not matter. If you can, fight for your rights. Get the BBB involved. I feel for you.

Rebekah Clerk Nov 15, 2007

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Empire Today is dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. We are currently looking into the concerns mentioned in your post. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] for further assistance.

• Sh
    Shaik Apr 08, 2009

i live in NJ, i had and free in house estimate for carpet for my living room with 12 x 16 ft and they estimated about $1700 which includes $200 discount he told. he was not giving me the price of the carpet. he was telling me the total price including installation removing the existing carpet and disposing. the 60% discount mentioned on their website was only on 1 carpet which is worst. just before the guy came in i went to home depot and i had an estimation for the same for $550 and the carpet was far far better than the one empire today showed. i strongly suggest you guys not to prefer this F^(#!ing company. all the best...

bait and switch/terrible installation

We mistakenly called Empire Today to install new carpet in our 1800 sq ft home before we moved in. The installation must have been done by blind monkeys: there was no pad on the stairs, and at various places in the house, the carpet pulled up in the middle of the room, there were seams right in front of the front door, there were no Z-bars between bathroom tile and the carpets so you could see the edge of the tile, etc, etc. Their installers and foremen made 3 or 4 trips to inspect, all shook their heads in disbelief at how this could have happened (except the one formeman who asked: why do you want a Z-bar there?). They offered to repair it (impossible) and finally said they would replace it. Meanwhile, we discovered that we had been charged twice as much as any other place AND the "Shaw" carpet was indeed made by Shaw but was the most inferior generic product they do make, not the "high-end, top-of-the-line carpet " we thought we were getting for $8000. We insisted they take it out and refund our money. They stalled and wouldn't return our calls. They then sent out 2 guys at 8:00 Saturday morning without informing us to replace the carpet! - mind you, this is the whole house with heavy bookshelves, furniture,bds, desks, etc to move around while these idiots "replace " it. We sent them away and have insisted they take their carpet and refund us our money. They are still insisting that the carpet is top of the line which is a lie. It was our stupidity to use them without shopping around, but they are crooks who lie. We are not paying and filing a claim against them and a dispute with GE.

Rebekah Clerk Nov 02, 2007

Dear Edward Avakian,

• Cu
    Curtis Feb 27, 2008

I have not, and never will buy from Empire Today. If it were possible to count the TV ads during one 24 hour period, on all the cable channels we receive, I bet it would be in the hundreds. I have seen the same ad twice within 30 minutes on the same channel. Any company that advertises this much must be spending $$$$$$$$$$$ on advertising, and guess where that advertising money comes from - your right - YOU.

I would almost bet that a large percentage of the amount charged by Empire Today goes to advertising, not to a quality carpet and knowledgeable installers.

• Tr
    Tracey Rindahl Feb 27, 2008

I just hate the comment from Empire Today above... Thank you for bringing your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to Empire Today. We are currently working with you to bring this issue to a resolution. This is the same thing the told me and also have told me so many times that someone would return my phone call in 24 hours and didn't. They need to be put out. I am so disgusted with them.

• Mi
    Michael Ford Oct 03, 2009

RIGHT ON, Edward Avakian (page 1). AWe had a similar experience. As I read your detailed account of Empire's modus operandi, I wondered how they continue to get away with ripping people off? It's incredible...I challenge anyone to show me a positive, complimentary report. Almost every reference to Empire on the internet is negative. You are right, Curtis (above)...they must spend a fortune on those "in your face" TV ads, featuring that animated old fool...My installers were not blind monkeys, they were wearing sheep suits...! Michael Ford

• Sr
    srsimpson Dec 16, 2011

Yes, I agree that this company Empire Today has some serious problems. I started out calling them for information and a free estamate for my home and kept butting heads with some incompetent person, so I gave up. a few months later I called again hoping to get someone a little smarter who new what they were talking about, and again with no luck. I tried again a few months
    again later when they had a great deal on TV (bate &switch for sure with your 60% off) Finally got ahold of someone who took my
    information and scheduled me for a morning appointment with a salesman between 9-11am. Well, no one called or showed up!
    So I said to myself, forget it!! Stupid Company!...then around 1:36 I get a call from someone stating that the salesman is able to
    stop by! What? Well, I said ok. The salesman came to the door, he claims that he rang the door bell then left. Someone called me to tell me he had just left my house. They called him back and he returned...now we are looking at around 2:45-3:00pm. The salesman talks me into some carpet, I sign a check and he leaves at 6:30pm telling me that the carpet will arive at 9am in the morning but the carpet does not show, called the office who told me there was a window as to what time they get there and that was
    anywhere from 9am to 6pm...right so I canceled at 9:10am...less then 24 hours later I am cancelling. Well they cashed my large ck
    on 12-8 telling me that they had to have the check clear before they return my money!...it's now the 16th of December and I still don't have my money. I have reported them to the FTC, FBI...and anyone I can complain to. Their comment is that they have been
    in business for 40something years...well I have been in business longer then that and I don't treat my customers that way! Take their money for weeks...and during Christmas! I think we need to put up a billboard telling everyone how cheap they are...They most be related to the banks!

incorrect installation of hardwood floors

I purchased Empire Floors for hardwood and carpet for my home.

After initial problems, (like the lead person talking on his cell phone all day about how there was a warrant out for his arrest), the hardwood floor was installed. It seemed fine. Then four months after the installation, the nightmare began. A toilet in the house malfunctioned and flooded most of the upstairs area and the hardwood floors had to be removed. Well....the hardwood floors was glued directly to the subfloor (Plywood) without any underpayment. Of course the hardwood floor would not come off easily and so the subfloor has to be removed where big pieces of the subflooring broke away.

What could have been an easy replace has been a construction issue and one that has to be figured out how best to replace the subflooring so the house does not become structurally weak and fall down!

Rebekah Clerk Nov 02, 2007

Dear Ardith Lynch,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Customer satisfaction is of the utmost importance to Empire Today. A member of our management team will contact you to review your order.

• Pz
    P Zavala Sep 24, 2008

Ardith,

Thanks for the post. I recently received a quote ftom Lowe's and Empire and Empire's quote was much about $800 higher. The sales guy stated that Empire's floor is better, can be installed next day, etc. He was not the sharpest tool in the shed but I overlooked that. It was not sitting comfortable with me seeing that I knew more about installation than he did. He left the house and I called him the next day to say I was interested. On this second call, he mentions that he is not sure if the vinyl flooring needs to be removed and if so, it would be extra but we won't know until the installers arrive. He has been with Empire for 20 years and just doesn't know if it will need to be removed. I looked at the floor and I can tell it needs to be removed. Once again, this leaves a bad feeling in my gut. This post has just convinced me not to go with Empire. It is disturbing when the customer knows more than the salesperson. Once again, perhaps they are good with carpet but definately not hardwood floors.

Thanks!
    written 9/24/2008

• We
    Westchester Consumer Aug 18, 2009

I had Empire install carpeting in my dining room. Less than 1 month after installation the carpet started to unravel. It was also supposed to be stain resistant indoor/outdoor carpeting and yet it retains every single spot that ever gets on it. The sales rep seemed shady and spoke very little English. The installers spoke no English at all. I was told that the room had to be completely empty on the day of installation which I never heard of. For what I was charged, they should have just come in and done it all.

[Resolved] poor service!

I, too, had a man from Empire Carpet come to my home to measure and give me a free estimate for new carpet...

misleading advertising!

On 9/13/07, a Empire sale rep visited my newly purchased home in an effort to offer a free estimate in the hopes of possibly making a purchase. The rep, upon entering the home presented body language as if he knew he would not make a sale that day. And, why waste my time. I do believe he came to this conclusion based on the neighborhood in Brooklyn, NY. ALSO, i FIRST TOLD HIM I WAS A RENTER. We began discussing what my needs were. He immediately told me, "we only have one type of wood-and it is the highest price", he went on further to say"laminate or carpet may be better as it is the least expensive". I questioned how much would the hard wood floor... cost. He then took i guess what was a measurement that arrived at 80sq. ft., and quoted a price at over $2500. He then went on to say well the traffic, and who would be walking on a daily basis-along with looking and judging my weight(180)might not be such a good purchase. At no time did he offer the pay later deal as advertised. I was told that my credit would be checked at the time of estimate-he did nothing. I believe he assumed my credit would not go through, although it is 725. BASICALLY IN A NUT SHELL THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED WITH MY EXPERIENCE. SO PLEASE DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME WITH THESE PEOPLE, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE IN CERTAIN NEIGHBORHOODS. THEY WILL NOW OFFER THEIR FULL PROFESSIONALISM. THEY WILL JUDGE YOU BASED ON RACE AND LOCATION. THIS IS TRULY WHAT I FEEL HAPPENED IN THIS CASE. HE OFFERED HIS APOLOGIES, BUT FOR WHAT. HE COULD HAVE MADE A CASH SALE WITH THE CORRECT MEASUREMENTS...

Empire-Today Sep 21, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and we were not able to process this complaint because of the lack of information we have for this you. If you would like to speak to someone in regards to your concerns, please contact us at 888-588-2315 ext. 7782. This is the Office of the President.

• To
    Tonya Jordan Nov 05, 2007

Empire is a rip-off. They sure do have no good, dishonest sales people. We had a free in home estimate for 2 bedrooms and a hall. The salesperson estimated that we need 480 sq foot of carpet. Good thing my husband know measurement because we only needed 350 square foot. Also he quoted us a price of $2700 dollars of prime (the best carpet they had) . I ask about the 2 rooms and 1 hall they advertise for $599.00. He informed us that this was the cheap carpet and he don't sell that.

When we informed him that $2700.00 was way over our budget for carpet he made a call to his so called manager, to see it we can get a better deal. Low and behold we can get the prime carpet for only $1750.00. And this was a one time right now deal. After we told him that we need to talk this over and get back to him the next day. Granted this was at 9:30 pm. On October 31, 2007. We with ahead and order the carpet.

Do you know the next day Empire was adverting 50% off all their carpet. When I contact the salesman about this advertisement I was informed that this price was only for the cheaper carpet.

How can they advertise only the cheap carpet and not the prime.

Even if we had purchase the carpet at the full price and gotten the 50% discount it still would've have been cheaper than the so call discount price that the salesman gave us.

EMPIRE IS A RIP-OFF. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!

• Cd
    C Durham Feb 09, 2008

Ok I am glad to have read all of this today. 2/10/08 and I think I will go with Home Depot!

The ads that Empire shows on TV seemed strange to me since they are so constant.

I just think I know why now ... they are a pressure cooker it seems. Such a sad company. Must be a real downer to work for them unless you are at the top of the food chain.

• Ka
    Kate May 28, 2008

Yikes! We have an in-home estimate scheduled for tonight! I wonder if we should cancel. I just want a price per square foot; I'm not interested in being pressured by a used car salesman. Maybe we should just see what Home Depot or Lowe's will quote.

unauthorized charge!

This complaint is about a $50 service charge that Empire Today has attempted to collect from me for warranty work. While their customer service department has attempted to help and agrees that the charge was levied in error, the accounting department continues to ignore their communications, does not communicate with me, and has sent my balance to a collection agency. Empire alleges that when I called them to schedule warranty work (there is no dispute that the mini-blinds were still under warranty), they informed me that there would be a $50 service charge. I disagree. Furthermore, when the serviceman came to my home and repaired the blinds, he signed a "Certificate of Completion" that said I owed, $0.00. Lastly, I had warranty work done on the blinds a few months earlier, and the charge then was also $0.00.

I have now filed an official complaint with the New York State Consumer Protection board.

I had read of complaints about Empire, but did business with them anyway, because I was homebound for many months with sick infant twins, one on oxygen 24x7, and I needed a window covering for their room. I could not get out of the house to shop, nor could I install a product myself. In hindsight, I should have called some other shop-at-home, install-it-for-you company.

Empire-Today Sep 21, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. You will be contacted within 24 hours to address your concerns in full detail.

poor service!

Empire installed carpet in our home two years ago. We immediately noticed an inordinate amount of shedding, so we called Empire. They said that this was normal and that it would stop after a short time. The shedding continued - fuzz balls rolled up as we walked across the carpet and the vacuum cleaner got clogged every time we used it. So, we thought, maybe this vacuum is old, we'll buy a new one. So we bought a brand new Hoover. The problem continued. The vacuum clogged and stopped working every time we used it. We would lift it up off the floor and balls of carpet fuzz would fly out. We called Empire and they sent out one of their "inspectors" who submitted a report stating that there was nothing wrong with the carpet. So we took the vacuum back (JC Penney was very cooperative - thank you, JC Penney!) and we exchanged it for a more expensive Hoover. This didn't change a thing - same problem, same clog, same carpet fuzz balls. So we think, maybe it's the Hoover brand (not so, sorry Hoover) and we bought an Oreck vacuum. No change. At this point not only have we been vacuuming, but Stanley Steamer (good company!) has cleaned the carpet twice. So we call Empire again - again they send out an "inspector" who submits a report stating that there is nothing wrong with the carpet - it's just all the pet hair on the carpet that's the problem.

The pet hair is there because I can't vacuum my carpets!!! Dogs have lived in this house for 20 years and we have NEVER, EVER, EVER had this problem! I have spoken to Empire and they tell me there is nothing they can do - the "inspectors" report is the "final word." They simply don't care that they have installed an inferior carpet - they got their money and that's obviously all they care about. "Customer satisfaction" my eye.

• Ym
    YMSaj Sep 05, 2007

Well kids it's been over 24 hours and I haven't heard a peep from the very concerned folks at Empire Today. Perhaps if they were sending real comments instead of computer generated ones I would have heard something...

bad job and horrible customer service

My parents were looking into changing the carpet in our home to wood. So I was doing a bit of research for them and had different contractors come and give us and estimate for the job. My dad one day so Empire Today Commercial on TV and decided lets give them a call and get a free estimate. So I called Empire up and they sent a representative out that day. So I was thinking wow they have great service. The rep comes and at first is so nice shows us different options, measures the house, plays with our dog etc. So now he gives me a price and it was a lot higher then the other estimates that we received. But he assured us that it is well worth the money because 1.) the material is the best you can get 2.) they only used licensed workers and not subcontractors but EMPIRE licensed workers. So ok, I was thinking that sounds good. Instead of having amateurs come I have licensed workers from Empire. Plus he tells me it will be done in a few hrs, oppose to everyone else saying its a 2 day job. The 2 workers get to my home around 9:00 - 9:30 not in Empire Uniform but in pants and one guy was wearing just shorts. I was like are you guys from Empire? They say yes, so i asked aren't you a sub contractor. He says yes. We don't work for Empire directly we do jobs for them. So im thinking thats exactly why I didn't go with other companies. So they cheated me already but since they already arrived and I moved my furniture I was like lets see the job they do. To make a long story short. They took forever ended at like 9:30 that night took a whole day not a few hrs. Made a huge mess. Did a horrible amateur job. Left with things undone. Jobs already horrible and on top left out the little things. Job is like 90% done. So I call my sales guy and hes like oh what can I do just call customer service and take it up with them. There is nothing i can do. Then I filed multiple complaints on the phone and emailed them. Not a single call or email back. Been 2 months since. What do I do now??

Empire-Today Sep 04, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and have currently researching this matter. We have made significant improvements in the right direction for our customers in regards to customer satisfaction. We hope that you will give us the chance to show you why so many have come back to Empire-Today again for their home improvement upgrades. If you would like to speak to our Consumer Affairs Dept.

horrible experience!

(Empire Flooring, Dallas, Texas) I had a horrible experience with this company, they couldn't come out at my convenience like they promise on their add/commercial. Then when they finally did come out, they promised me professional carpet layers, which these guys were anything but. The team they sent out to lay the carpet laid it in the wrong direction, which caused seams to be very obviously seen. They cut corners, put marks all over my newly painted walls and broke two of my ceramic tiles on my kitchen floor. When I called the main office I was given an apology and promised a new team to come out and correct the problems. They sent the same team out and all they did was hammer on the seams and cut the excess. I was getting a bit angered at this so called fix. I called to speak with a supervisor or manager and explained the whole situation and he assured me all would be corrected. Now the third time another day I had to take off from work to be at home for the arrival of my promised correction. What I received was a man with a clip board agreeing with all that I had to say, took some notes and then went back to the office (no corrections made) and reported the exact opposite he told me and a witness I had present. I waited for a call back or follow up as to what was going to be corrected and heard absolutely nothing. After a week of waiting I called back only to be told everything was done! Well now I am very upset, not to mention I have already paid more than half the bill and been given horrible service and been lied to. I told the man I would have to be forced to take legal action and now all of a sudden he is sending me his very best expert team to replace the carpet and lay it right and assured me no seams would be seen. Since I had to move my own furniture myself along with the help of my friends I was offered monetary compensation (which never happened). A new team (two guys) came out to my house and were there for over 9 hours correcting what should have been done right the first time two months ago! Now keep in mind I have had four visits from someone from this company to my house in a two month time frame. I will never do business with this company again and I wouldn't wish them or this experience on my worst enemy!

I am an average hard working Joe and maybe $3500.00 is chump change to some gifted individuals, but for those of us that have to pretty much shed blood to obtain such a luxury, I expect to get my moneys worth that I worked so hard to get in the first place!

TB1 Feb 26, 2009

I spent almost $8k on laminate floors and had a piece of trim that had been repaired from the original install fail again. Meaning, the trim piece will not stay flush on the floor. I was told that I will have to pay $125 dollars for something that should have been repaired correctly to begin with. Also, the customer service representative noted in their comments that Empire had been to my residence multiple times which is not true. With that said, I feel like I have been mislead on what falls under a warranty and will not consider Empire for future projects unless you can truly demonstrate that you want me as a repeatable customer.

TB1 Feb 26, 2009

One other note in regards to this. Don't let them fool you with their warranties. Make sure you get the details because they will not hesitate to charge you outrageous labor fees for work that should have been taken care of under warranty or previous repairs. Very misleading and does not consider repeat customers to be important in my opinion. I had laminate floors put in and the original work was satisfactory. I will give them some credit.

tb1 May 01, 2009

Update: by working with upper management I was able to get my flooring issues resolved. I appreciate upper managements understanding and will continue to work with Empire Today. Get details on warranties though!

• Dont do business with these crooks. Please be careful if you have them finance anything! You end up oweing twice as much as it costs originally because the finance contract is so horrendous... These are the worst of the retail contracts in the retail industry. They should be ashamed, and yes they screwed up my laminate floor and left with out it being done... Absolutely a dreadful customer experience
    Fellow Dallas Texas Empire customer (never again)

jaberwoky Aug 18, 2010

I would like to note that we had a wonderful experience with Empire Today- Salesman brought tons of samples so we could see exactly how it would look with our furniture. We decided on laminate flooring in the living room & carpet in 3 bedrooms. They gave us a great deal since we were doing 4 rooms and paying cash, which enabled us to afford to do this.
    The crews were fabulous! They sent one for the laminate and another for the carpet. They moved all the furniture, put the floors down, moved the furniture back & hauled away the old carpet.
    I couldn’t be more pleased with the results and was impressed by how quickly it was installed after we ordered. I would highly recommend them if you are in need of new floors.

fraud and cheating!

Empire started charging me finance charges two months early on my balance due. When it was brought to their attention through the better business bureau empire said they would correct it through GE. They have not fixed it yet and will not return my calls and emails. I am in Iraq and I don't get many chances to call,and when I do I always get the Answering machine of Charles Whipple [protected]. Charles knows I am in Iraq and I have been since Sept 06, he has ignored me for one year and my credit has been affected. I have no other way to contact him and it is hard for me to pursue this in Iraq. He is a coward and I want him to know I will be home soon and standing in front of him if thats what it takes. Charles Whipple promised me he would fix this a year ago. What else can I do to resolve this if the company Empire and the company GE will not stand by their word. He should be working in the New England area Boston, Mass... Good thing some of us fulfill our commitments...

Empire-Today Aug 27, 2007

Empire has received confirmation from GE that finance charges will be removed and she will receive a check from GE for all payments made towards finance charges.

rudeness & no direct answers to questions

The sales person came to our home. Showed us six different carpets & asked us to select while he measured two bedrooms. When he returned to the living room my husband ask how much each carpet was. the sales persons reply was "$99 a square yard, but Mr Empire doesn't like him to give out a price before a quote SO LET'S DO IT MY WAY!"

This made my husband so mad he left the house. As a consumer you want to know what you are paying for & how much. He continued to push me to order. I told him I needed to finish painting. He said the installers would mess up the fresh paint so I needed to install right away. When I said I had another company coming the next day and he couldn't fault me for shopping around he said NOBODY could beat his price. The price was another issue all together. He never said anything about padding. When I asked he said "do you think we would install carpet without padding" but he didn't have any samples to show me.

This was a very bad experience & I hope nobody else has to put up with the rudeness.

Empire-Today Aug 10, 2007

We have contacted Ms. Salva and apologized to her for the inconvenience. Ms. Salva has not accepted our offer of apology and stated that she do not want any further contact from Empire Today again and proceeded to hang up the phone.

• Li
    Lisa King Oct 09, 2007

I had scheduled a "free in-home estimate" on Thursday, October 4, 2007 between 5-7pm at a home in which I do not live. I was there from 5-7pm. At 7pm I called Empire and asked where the salesman was. The woman answering the phone says she'll call him.

She comes back and says she had to leave a message, but she sees "in the system" that he had come but no one was home. When I tell her this is not the case and explain that there have been people at the house all day and that I have been there between 5 and 7pm, she calls him again.

This time she gets him on the phone. She says he told her that he did go to the house and talked to someone (!!!) but they said the homeowner was not there. I proceed to tell her that this is a blatant lie and request to talk to the salesman's supervisor. She says they are all gone, but she'll send an email. I've not heard from them yet. I reschedule for Saturday.

Saturday, Nathan comes out. He measures, shows me his products and quotes me $6300. 00 I tell him I have another company coming that afternoon. He gets huffy and says "We're not an estimate company, obviously you're not ready to make a decision." Really? Any sales company is an estimate company because you must give the estimate before you can get the sale!!! I tell him this is not the case, but that I needed more than one quote to make my decision.

He asks about the price, which I felt was about $2k more than it should be. He asks if he can do it for $5k, could we do it for Monday OR Tuesday? I tell him to call me on Monday after 5pm and I'll let him know of my decision. He agrees.

Monday he calls, I ask if he can do it for $4k. He becomes incredulous and says there is no way he can put a product "of this quality" into my home for this amount, then proceeds to say that he assumes I got a quote from another company for that amount (I had not, the other company rescheduled) and that they would not provide as good of a product, etc. I don't comment. He says "We'll split the difference and we'll do it for $6000". I'm sorry, how is the difference between $4k and $6k $300? I ask him what happened to doing it for $5k on Monday or Tuesday and he says, "Oh, well, that was Saturday and we had to do it today AND Tuesday." When I say that's not what he said on Saturday, he argues that it was a misunderstanding. He agrees to "call his boss" and see if we can do it for $5500.

The other company comes, with a product of equal quality, and the salesman is very nice, not rude at all. He quotes me $4100 with a better pad than Empire and also offers to take the extra carpet I had in my home out with the existing carpet.

I don't know how being abrasive and rude is ever a good sales technique. This guy acted as if I was putting him out, and as if he was doing ME a favor. I thought companies were out to make money by selling their product, and salesmen were out to make a commission by selling. Insulting a customer is not a way to sell anything, and I'm happy to give my money to someone else.

• Fo
    FORMER REP 2YEAR Jan 30, 2008

As a former rep for Empire Today in L.A. market I can say they charge too much for carpet and way to much for flooring. I feel terrible after working for them and am relieved I no longer have to pray upon the nice people who believe what they're told. I am writing this, not as revenge for anything (I left them.) they've done to me, but more as a service in hopes I may save people more money than I have cost others.

First let's start with their free estimates. Empire reps are told not to give the yardage to the customer. The reason for this is they don't know. They measure the square footage of the house or room and add 20% for waste. Now in a 10 by 10 room this would be fair as the carpet comes in 12 ft widths and that would require a 10 ft long by 12 ft wide piece of carpet thus leaving a 2ft wide by 10ft long pice of waist or 20%.Now if your room is 12ft by 12ft the rep is still encouraged to add 20% waist to the job even though it isnt called for. So in a 12ft by 12ft room which is actually 16 yards the "Empire Way" would call for 19.2 yards and the rep would round up to 20 and over charge by 4 yards. However, if the rep did everything the "Empire Way" this is not illegal because he was instructed to tell you that he sells carpet by the job and not by the yard. For a one room job this might not seem like a big deal but imagine a whole house full of carpet and then adding 20% over.

Second is the pricing. Lets take their 50% off sale carpet called Keepsake. Empires target price is 41$ a yard. Target price means the price at which full commission is paid to the sales rep. On sale at 50% the price goes down to 31$ a yard because the sale is only on the capet and not installation. Well even the priciest carpet companies in America won't sell that carpet for more than 20$ a yard, It is a 24 oz. P.E.T. polyester bottom barrel carpet. At31$ dollars a yard most places will give you a 41 oz. continuous filiment nylon carpet. If a rep comes to a house, measures 1000 sf, adds 20% and divides by 9, he'll get 134 yrds; so he'll tell you the sale price is 4454.00$ If the customer agrees, he writes the sale and prays to allmighty that you don't shop around, he's also instructed to offer a discount if you'll put the carpet in tommorro. Now if you are just getting estimates or are shocked by the price then the real games begin. He'll say something to lead you into a trap like " If I could get you a better price by calling a manager do you think we can get this carpet installed tommorro?" . If you say " How much of a discount are we talking about?" he'll ask you what you had in mind. The goal is to find out how much your willing to pay because he allready knows he can go as low as 18$ a yard for that carpet without talking to a manager. If you believed the first price of 4454$ and he calls for a drop the price goes to 3900$ you are probably impressed by the discount and feel pressured to buy because you don't want to loose that 500$ discount; But you could have bought it for as low as 2000$ if you kept saying "just leave me an estimate and i'll call you."
    Now you see why I say Empire prays upon the customer who believes what they're told. Even at 18$ a yard for Keepsake it's only a fair price and not a price that you'll never see again like the sales rep is claiming. Any one would be more than happy to sell you keepsake for 18$ a yard installed. If I sold you carpet and you bought it at the "sale price" without any further discount then I apologise because you probably paid to much. Empire does have good customer service and I can't take that away from them, but the price they charged you allows them to install it twice and still be profitable. As for the carpet quality; poor,very poor.If you want it tommorro then Empire is the best place for you, just take the first price the rep tells you and say you'll install it tommorro if they knock off 40%.

I hope this helps some people save some money because it doesn't come easy these days.

• Ro
    ROY LATTIN Aug 21, 2008

THIS COMPANY IS A SHAM, SALEMAN CAME TO MY HOUSE AND MEASURED, THE PRICE WAS $3000 . I THEN ASKED HIM HOW HE CAME TO THAT PRICE, HE COULD NOT GIVE ME A ANSWER.HE ALSO TOLD ME IT WOULD BE TWO WEEKS BEFORE THEY COULD INSTALL CARPET, THEIR TV AD SAYS NEXT DAY INSTALLATION. I TOLD THE SALESMAN TO PACK UP HIS SAMPLES AND DONT LET THE DOOR HIT HIM ON THE WAY OUT. DON'T BELIEVE A WORD THEIR ADS SAY, THEY ARE A TOTAL SHAM. PS I SHOPPED LOCAL AND AND GOT THE SAME CARPET NEXT DAY FOR $1500 .IT READY PAYS TO DO YOUR HOMEWORK AREA STORES MAY BE THE WAY TO GO.DON'T BELIEVE A WORD EMPIRE SAYS THEY ARE CHEATING THE PUBLIC.

do not do business with empire today!

On 8/1/07 I called Empire Today to have a salesperson come out and give me an estimate for carpeting and hardwood flooring. The customer service rep told me she could send someone out that afternoon - how convenient I thought! When Gary arrived, he came in to the area that I needed wood floor. He measured, and gave me a ridiculous number - $3000.00 for hardwood for a hallway! I haven't checked out other places but I had a whole condo done for a lot less! I told him that I was not expecting that price and he said that my expectations of the cost of wood were not realistic and obviously we weren't going to do business for the hardwood. He proceeded to measure the bedroom for carpet - he then gave me a price of $1000.00. That was $300.00 more than the other estimate I received from a local carpet company. I told him so and he said, "what price were you expecting?" I replied, around $700.00. I asked him the best price and he told me $912.00 including all taxes and an upgraded pad. I wanted to call my finance at work to see if the price was acceptable but Gary told me that he didn't have time to wait for me to talk with my finance and that I could sign the paperwork and cancel within 3 days if my finance didn't like the price/carpet/color. I thought that was fair (what was I thinking?!) and signed the paperwork. Gary left and I called my finance and explained everything - he was furious with how Gary treated me and told me to call him and cancel the order and return my check for $25.00. I called Gary and he told me that I should call the 1-800 number if I wanted to cancel. I told him that he just left 5 minutes ago and I wanted my check back - he hung up on me. My finance called him when he got home from work and told Gary that he wanted the check back and told him that he didn't like his sleazy sales tactics. Gary said - I don't know who this is - stop calling me... later that night, we heard a knock on the door - it was the police - the officer said that my finance threatened Gary and Gary was afraid... trust me - your thinking there must be more to this story - there isn't! My finance never threatened - just told him that he had sleazy sales tactics! I did manage to cancel my order and the rep said that my check would be returned within 10-14 days... I will be calling the BBB. This is a very sleazy company and I feel that I was taken advantage of. I wasn't using my best judgment when I signed those papers. DO NOT USE EMPIRE TODAY!!!

Chris Smith Aug 05, 2007

Had very similar experience with salesperson. Called Empire and they sent out a salesman that very afternoon. I was carpeting my home office and asked for a morning install as I had to work in the afternoon. He said it was not a problem, wrote it on the contract (I did think it was a bit pricey, but the convenience swayed me). When Empire called to confirm installation, I was informed they would be out anywhere from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Told them it was not acceptable, my contract stated it would be a morning install and let them know about my situation. Of course the response I expected was that they couldn't control what the installers do. The salesman had told me the installers were all Empire employees, so why couldn't they control the situation??? I was furious, and the woman told me she would indicate on my record I needed a morning install. I called the main phone number, repeated my request, and got the same response. Next morning around 10:30 a.m. I called the installation department and was told I was the first install of the day (how could that be since it was already 10:30). Waited another hour, no installers. Called the manager back, was told the same thing. My husband finally called, and the manager said we were the first install but they had two previous installs to do (again, how could that be). He then proceeded to get very verbal with my husband. I could hear him through the phone!!!!! Promised a 1p.m. install, and of course, the installers showed up at 3 p.m. I lost a whole day's worth of pay. I asked the installer if they were Empire employees and they said no. I did look at the order, and sure enough it said "A. M. Install, no later than noon." When I asked why they did not honor that request, suddenly they couldn't speak English. Watch Out!!! They promise you everything and come through with nothing. The carpet install was okay, carpet of poor quality, and out a whole lot of money!!!! Never again. I do not recommend this company. Will file a complaint with the BBB

Empire-Today Aug 10, 2007

very poor service!

I want to add my story to all the others regarding Empire Today. Steer clear from this company. The salesman tells you anything you want to hear so you'll sign on the dotted line. Their installers actually give you supplies for your installed shower stall "in case you need to recaulk" which actually void the warranty. They do not return calls. My salesman lie has led me to owning a shower stall that i cannot use with certain products he assured me were "no problem" I was LIED to. I have written and called for a year and a half now. I am so frustrated. The one person in the company that was working with me and understood what had happened and was working to release me from my obligation to pay Empire is no longer working for the company. What a surprise!!! Heed my warning and the others... stay away.

Empire-Today Aug 07, 2007

[Resolved] poor product and customer service!

In December 2006 I met with an Empire Salesperson to review samples of carpeting during their advertised...

disrespectful salesman

My husband and I requested a free estimate from empire today on 06/27/07. We are pregnant and wanted to have laminate flooring installed throughout our home so our baby would have a nice home to live in once she arrives. The salesman came out the next day to provide our estimate. The estimate was 8 times the amount of an estimate that I received from another company. I told the salesman the price that I was expecting to pay, that we could not afford those kind of prices, and that I was very sorry for wasting his time. He told me that he was "teaching me the facts of life" and that I "was delirious in my thinking to believe that I could get that kind of pricing". I told him that we were done here and asked him to leave. He did not leave; instead, he called his "manager" to tell him about the quote we received (This time it wasn't what he said, it was his tone). I had to leave the room for a moment because I was so disrespected by this salesman in my own home. I came back and told the salesman that "I am not trying to be disrespectful, but you need to leave my home." he still would not leave. Instead, he passively agreed with me as he sat on my couch. I had to leave the room again because I was so angry that he was disrespectful and belittling of my decision and research. Thankfully, my husband was at home and politely escorted him to the door. Yes, I am pregnant; however, I know when I am being disrespected, ripped-off, and belittled. My purpose is to warn future consumers: do not allow empire today to come into your home!

Empire-Today Jul 02, 2007

• St
    Stacey Crowe Jul 24, 2007

I could tell how important it my complaint was to Empire Today when the Sales Manager called me, responding to my complaint, asking if he could get us another sales rep. No apology. No remorse for the sales rep action. No thanks.

No Nameb46f Oct 08, 2007

I had Empire come out for an estimate on Thursday. The salesman just game me the creeps. He kept telling me that I needed a new vacuum and telling me about the houses he builds and then sells and all sorts of stuff. I just wanted an estimate. He was also very disorganized. He couldn't find correct paperwork, left things in his car, etc. After taking 1 full hour he comes with an estimate for our livingroom, which is not huge. The estimate was $1,662. So, we told him we would think about it and if we decided to go with them I would call him. He said ok and left us his cell phone number. We then went and got some more estimates and I got a great price on carpet for the livingroom for a little over $700 including labor and removing the old carpet.

The following day, I get home from work and about 15 minutes later my doorbell rings. It's the darn Empire salesman. I didn't call him and I didn't want him back over. Well, I didn't open the door. Like I said, he gave me the creeps and my boyfriend had left to go Up North for the week-end. So, I figured the guy would leave. wrong. He decides to camp out on my front porch for almost a half hour! I called Empire and told them I did not request him to come out. They then told me that my appointment had been rescheduled to that day. I said NO he was out on Thursday. Finally the man left.

I swear he drove by our house on Saturday as well. I call him the Empire stalker! If he would have kept coming to my house like that, I would have called the police. That is very rude to just show up at someones house and camp out on the front porch!

• Mr
    Mr. Empire Apr 11, 2008

Hey, I thought you were hot, so I came back to lay some pipe, if you know what I mean. You were giving me some signals, I thought we had something going.

By the way, are those tubes real?

• Fo
    Former Salesman Oct 14, 2009

I was an Empire Salesman in the Tampa area in the past. This whole operation is a scam to all concerned. They ripoff the public AND their salespeople. The Tampa sales office is run my this wormy little guy named Michael Smith. You have never seen such a poor manager. I called him once and he was so drunk, he didn't even know who I was- and I worked for him. What an idiot. He tells the sales people to charge the customer Florida sales tax, but don't list it as tax on the invoice. I thought this was weird until I went to the Florida Tax statutes and discovered these products are not taxable! I suspect this is a violation of Florida law. They tell their sales people not to list it under the tax section, to prevent the state from being able to come after them.

This entire operation is a joke. There is constant bickering among the staff. Sales meetings are a waste of time. The management spends most of their time gripping about there bosses- some lady named Lucy Kaulkman somewhere. I never met the lady. At one meeting, the sales management stood up and said that Lucy Kaulkman was a "Witch". This was heard by the entire sales team. I wonder how they expect to have a strong morale when stuff like this goes on? Sales management is a case of individuals rising to the level of their incompetence (Peter Principle). Empire Today is a terrible place to work and their product prices are about three times above retail. STAY AWAY from them.

failure to honor warranty / do not stand behind product

We purchased a carpet in June 2005 from Empire for our living room. At the time we had a one year old daughter and a dog (we now have a son as well). While the dog has free reign of the house, she is house-broken. No food or drink is allowed in the living room. When we purchased the carpet, we were convinced to buy the "mid-grade" carpet (the top-tier had the longest warranty but was a bit out of our price range). With this purchase we were told to expect no fading and minimal wear and flattening. The sales person told us that if the carpet were to fade or have abnormal wear the carpet would be replaced by Empire. We were told the Empire viewed fading as unacceptable since people often move furniture around and should expect that that exposed carpeting look uniform. Obviously we agreed, and appreciated what seemed liked a genuine statement about the importance of product quality to Empire. Unfortunately, this statement was just a sales pitch. We have now, only two years into a ten year warranty, have made two complaints to Empire about not only fading, but pulls (a previous post referred to them as loops) in several spots on our carpet. The first inspection resulted in us being told that we should just cut the pulls and that the fading wasn't really fading at all, just wear that could be fixed with carpet shampoo and a stiff brush. We purchased the exact products that the "inspector" recommended and followed his instructions word for word (we had him write them down so as not to do something damaging to the carpet). That worked fine when the carpet was slightly damp, but as soon as it dried the color was different. We decided at that time to just deal with the fading since our furniture is always in the same location. However, we recently purchased new furniture which allowed us to set the room up differently. When we moved out the old furniture the fading was unmistakable, and we noticed more pulls. This prompted a new call to Empire at the beginning of June. The customer service rep (Cinnaminson location) stated that the pulls were not normal and that the previous direction we received did not sound right. She indicated that we would receive a call back to set up a time for a new inspection. We received a call back to set up an appointment with an "independent" inspector, Inspect Solutions. The inspector came out, took pictures of the pulls, took a piece of the unused carpet we saved, and told us that we would receive a report back in a week or so. We received the report back with a cover letter that stated "... flooring meets all industry standards, and is free of all manufacturing and installation defects." The inspection report itself claims that the pools are a localized problem. If by localized they mean all over the carpet, then they are dead on. As bothered as I was by this response, I was pushed to write this complaint when I read another post that had the exact statement in their letter that we do. We have a carpet that is two years old and looks like it is ten years old. Empire indicated at the time of purchase that this was a quality carpet that would retain its color and shape for years to come. It is has failed to do so, and Empire has failed to stand behind the product. I do not recommend Empire for carpet based on quality, and I do not recommend Empire for any service based on their failure to stand behind their product. In addition to this post I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and might follow up on the previous post and contact the local major news stations as I am sure they would be interested in attracting viewing with a story on a major carpet wholesaler leaving customers flapping in the breeze.

Empire-Today Jun 27, 2007

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. Total customer satisfaction is important to us here at Empire Today. We take customer feedback very seriously and we are always striving to improve the customer’s experience. We have reviewed your posting and are currently researching this matter. Unfortunately, we were not able to access your information within our database and need more information from you to do so. Please contact us at 847-583-3000 between the hours of 9am-5:30pm CST. Ask to speak to one our Consumer Affair Agents. You will need either your home telephone number that links you to your account or your work order # that is on your original paperwork when calling in. Thank you and have a great day.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices