Complaints & Reviews

blind installation - substandard

5 blinds were installed in kitchen for $1000+. We expected competent installation, but it was even close.Valances were installed w/ a haphazard combination of screws & Velcro squares.Screws are not strong enough to hold blinds. Squares of Velcro to hold up heavy pieces of wood?Carpentry work on installations are substandard.Days after the install, a valance crashed down.Shoddy installation resulted in a dangerous situation, we have a small child.The 2nd time installer came to fix a missing valance, it got worse.The 1st time I pulled the string the blind crashed down and cut and injured my right arm.I'm 5 mos.pregnant & this injury is dangerous to my health.I'm still in pain.I called you immediately to report situation.Operator said a special dept would call.I didn't get phone call from a "specialist, " instead I got call from the SAME installer.I never want him back in my home!

Rebekah Clerk Jun 13, 2008

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Empire Today is dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. Please visit our Carpet Stories website at http://carpetstoreis.empiretoday.com/ to read the experiences of other Empire Today customers. Unfortunately, we are unable to locate your order with the information provided on this site. Please feel free to contact us at for further assistance at http://www.empiretoday.com/Customer-Service or via email at [email protected]

misrepresentation, manipulation and deceitful practice

This gloried middle man company just inflates the price to create it's own profit under the guise of quality, convenience and speed. Buyer beware!!! This is the most expensive services you can get. I fell for the advertising and had them come out to a house I was remodeling. I should have known right away that someone is paying for all that advertising. I got a bid to install laminate flooring for a 500 sq. ft area. The bid was $18, 000. That's right $$$18, 000 but with the 50% off it was the bargain price of $$$$9, 000. Now you have understand that I had already done all the prep work and the house was empty.

I was baffled at the price being quoted and of course asked for a breakdown but as others have found out they don't do that. If they did it would become apparently clear that they are making exorbitant profits. There is no transparency here they have to hide their costs otherwise none would buy from them unless they have money to burn. I laughed at the sales person and sent her packing. I decided to do the floor myself and bought a laminate on sale at the box store for 500.00 bucks. I installed it slowly and carefully over the next 5 days; not a difficult job. So 9, 000.00 minus 500.00 equals 8, 500.00. I figure that I paid myself $1, 700.00 for 8 hours work each day. The most I have ever made in a day. Now I realize that there flooring is probably more expensive then the flooring I got but I figure I could have but the most expensive floor out there and still come out way ahead. That was 4 years ago and the floor still looks great.

My concern is for the little old lady or those not savvy or cautious who fall for a firm handshake and all the hype; 50% off, next day installation, and no payments for a year. Please get 3 bids at least, deal with local hometown businesses or make it an adventure and do it yourself and keep your hard earned money.

This business is an unequivocal rip-off and they prey on your trust and your ignorance. It's no deal. Good luck to all of you out there.

Rebekah Clerk Jun 13, 2008

Empire Today is in receipt of your concerns and will be in contact with you to work towards a resolution. A member of the Office of the President will contact you and personally discuss your concerns. Additionally, we suggest that you visit our Flooring Stories website at http://flooringstories.empiretoday.com/ to review the experiences of other Empire Today customers. You may also contact our customer service department directly at [email protected]

they do not pay their sales people

I worked for Empire Today for several years. In the last couple years it has been hard to get paid for the...

no-show twice

Hire anybody else but Empire Carpet! The Empire Carpet rep pulled a no-show one Saturday. I'd blocked out the three-hour window, and called 20 minutes after the window closed. The customer service person placed me on hold for five minutes, then I was disconnected. I called back. This time the customer service person placed a call to both the sales rep and his manager. Neither picked up. After making an appointment with a competitor, I called back Empire to officially complain about that sales rep, and asked to speak to the manager. The manager would not get on the phone. Luckily the customer service operator was able to take the complaint and also told me that I'd get a $50 credit towards purchase. We rescheduled an appointment for the estimate. Guess what? Another no-show.

Rebekah Clerk May 23, 2008

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Empire Today is dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. Unfortunately, we are unable to reference your account with only your first name as provided on this website. We would like to work with you to resolve your concerns. Please contact us at [email protected] for further assistance.

• Ev
    Eve Aug 05, 2008

I am usually one to search the internet for complaints b/f dealing w/a company, but for some reason w/Empire I did not. I live in Brooklyn, NY. I made an appmt. w/Empire via telephone back in July for an estimate. I waited around that day for the rep who ended up calling me way after the window he was scheduled to arrive to tell me that he had been in a car accident. Okay; no problem. I decided to reschedule. This time I went to their website and set up the appointments. One was for a shower stall covering and the other was for carpeting. The carpet person was supposed to arrive between 9 and 11am, and the shower person was to arrive between 1 and 3pm. By 12:pm, no one had called or shown up, so I called the company. The rep stated that they were sorry, they should have let me know, but that they were sending one person who would do both the carpet and shower estimate. He then put me on hold and contacted the rep. He got back to me and said that the rep stated that he knew about me and that he would be at my home by 3pm. Well 3 o'clock came and went, and of course there was no courtesy call made to me. By 3:45, I just called Empire and told them to forget about the whole thing. So both myself, and my tenant wasted an entire day sitting around waiting for these jerks. But after reading some of the other horror stories on here, I guess I should count myself lucky they never showed up. I could have ended up w/overpriced cheap quality carpet.

terrible service!

I bought a house and wanted to do a lot of fixing up before I moved in. I only had one month to fix my house up before I had to be out of my apartment. Carpet was going to be the last stage of the process of fixing up my house. I waited until a week before I needed the carpet installed to go shopping for it. After visiting the big home improvement stores and a few local flooring businesses I realized I waited too late to shop for carpet. No one could install the carpet by the time I needed it. With this problem at hand I didn't know what to do. I didn't want to move all of my stuff in with this nasty carpet in my house. Then, I remembered the famous jingle '[protected], empireeee... TODAY!'

I gave Empire a call and they sent a sales representative out to my house the next day. She came with lots of samples and was also packing a serious attitude until she realized me and my husband were serious about purchasing carpet.

She first measured how many square feet we were going to have carpeted. She wouldn't tell us how many SF it was because she wasn't 'in liberty to do so.' After we picked out the carpet we wanted, she gave us a price of $6800.00 when we could've gotten the same quality carpet at a local home improvement store for $2500.00. We opted for a lower quality at $3800.00, and since our house was empty at the time we got $200.00 off since they wouldn't have to move furniture. She also gave us a 'special discount' which brought our total to $3200.00.

The installers came the next day. On Empire's TV commercial you see happy smiling Americans installing the carpet and they show up in a nice clean Empire Today van. Well, when the installers showed up, it was nothing like I expected. There were a van full of immigrants that looked like they had just sneaked in over the border. Only one of them spoke English.

They were in the driveway walking around smoking cigarettes and on their nextel's. The only guy that spoke English asked if the carpet was the right color, and then he got in the van and left. All that was there now were the ones whom didn't speak any English. Since our house was empty we left them there to install the carpet and returned a few hours later to a party at our house. They had brought in their own stereo blasting Mexican music and dancing to it.

When they left at first glance we were happy with our carpet. At a closer glance over time we noticed many many flaws in the installation. The carpet shed so bad it clogged up and broke my vacuum. I had to buy another one, expensive one that could handle all of the shedding. They came out to fix the flaws in the installation with no problem. However, by this time we were so unhappy with the quality of the carpet and the price we paid. It had only been a couple of months and the carpet was matted down in high traffic areas.

After several complaints to the 800 number they said they were going to send a manager to our house to look at our problem. I took off of work that day to meet up with this person. When they finally got there 1 hour after their 4 hour window period I found out he was just another sales rep. that couldn't help me.

Again, another complaint later they sent an installation manager to my house. He told me the carpet was in good condition and that I need to vacuum in the opposite direction and the carpet will look the way I want it to. (hmmm... never thought of that!)

After a years worth of complaints I finally got in touch with someone that could help me. He told me he would give me $1000.00 off of the price of my carpet, which would bring the total to $2200.00. I said 'No, that's ridiculous, I could've had this same quality carpet installed from a local home improvement store for about $1500.00 or less.' Then he said 'Fine $1500.00, but we won't take off anymore.' I was happy, I guess. Although I paid 1500.00 for a carpet I really don't want in my house.

So my $3800.00 carpet wound up costing me $1500.00 after a years worth of stress. Empire knows they're a rip-off or they wouldn't have given me that much off of my balance. DO NOT SHOP EMPIRE TODAY, I DON'T CARE HOW MUCH OF A HURRY YOU'RE IN TO HAVE IT INSTALLED, YOU'LL BE HAPPIER WAITING ANOTHER WEEK OR TWO TO HAVE IT INSTALLED BY SOMEONE ELSE.

Rebekah Clerk May 23, 2008

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Empire Today is dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. The customer’s refund was processed. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] for further assistance.

do not purchase from empire today-lies, rude staff, poor customer service

MY wife and I recently decided to purchase flooring. The salesman David Miller arrived at our house and wa...

sub standard flooring!

To have Empire return the full amount of money paid for flooring. Remove cherry flooring and replace with...

offensive and unprofessional salespeople!

We need new flooring, so my wife got me to contact Empire Today after seeing one of their advertisements on TV. We set up the appointment online and the sales rep came by in a very timely fashion. Pretty cool, I thought... set up an appointment on the web and presto, the sales rep is there on time the next day. I figured we were going to be in for a hard sell since the web site wanted us to ensure that all decision makers would be present, but figured I could handle it since I am a professional salesperson myself. Ted, the sales guy, shows up and agrees to take his shoes off (my wife is from an Asian where culturally it is taboo to keep your shoes on in the house). Very nice, I thought. Some people don’t like to take their shoes off.

Upon entering, Ted immediately says he can have the flooring installed on Monday despite not even having shown us a sample yet. He then starts speaking pidgin English to my wife (who has a Masters degree and, although accented, speaks English very well). Ted proceeds to lay down a sample board (not bothering to explain anything about the quality or style... simply, here are three colors – choose one) and starts writing up a quote. I ask him about other styles and he stops, looks at me, and asks “look, am I making a sale here today or not?” I responded that we are in the process of looking and getting quotes (he wanted to charge us $9, 000), so probably not, but given the state of our floor we will likely be buying in the near future. He proceeds to stand up and tell me that he’s got to go to the car to get other samples, but he’s not coming back in and certainly won’t take his shoes off again if we’re not buying today. He then puts his shoes on, walks all over the living room floor to get something he forgot, and leaves.

Are you kidding me? The guy wants to make an $9, 000 sale just by showing up? The sad thing is, if he had simply gone through a professional sales process there is a high likelihood we would have bought something. As I said, we are buying (all you need to do is look at our floor and you’ll know what I mean). I sell for a living and while what I sell typically requires us to be more strategic with clients, we still do need to roll up our sleeves and get transactional at times. That said, I was stunned, truly stunned, when he refused to provide basic sales services when he learned he wasn’t making the sale today.

Beware when engaging this company... your experience may differ, but this is not a quality company and you would be better served buying from a local dealer or one of the big chains.

Rebekah Clerk Apr 14, 2008

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. Unfortunately, we are unable to reference your account with the name provided on this website. We would like to work with you to resolve your concerns. Please contact us at [email protected] for further assistance.

• Ms
    ms. Gee Jan 23, 2014

Rude and pushy is an understatement for Sales Reps at Empire Today. This group takes the cake for the misleading commercials. Buy this much carpet and get the rest free is a crock of bull. First of all lets start off with the salesmen . I called for a price on laminate wood flooring throughout my house fam room, living room entry way, hallway, laundry room and kitchen., by the end of our conversation he had me talked into carpet for my 4 bedrooms that i did not even plan on remodeling yet. This man would not leave my house and firmly suggested i put it on order now. I told him i wouldn't be doing the bedrooms til i completed the rest of the house but he insisted to put the carpet on hold until i need it. He said lets just hold it and i need 10% down, if you change your mind i will send you your down payment back. My mistake, i felt pressured and signed his 10 page contract that he presented as "sign here sign there" and i asked him what im signing he stated just asking us to have the carpet when you need it. So after he left i thought what did you just do, did this man just make me feel obligated and intimidated, i had just pulled up carpet and had it removed i didn't want carpet . When he priced me for the laminate floor i about fell over with unbelief, 10, 000 he priced me so wow the installers must make bank. I said no that's too much then things got nasty and he said he didn't come to my house for nothing he came for a sale. So i hand the man 50 dollars for 5000 dollars of carpet for my bedrooms that weren't even in my project at the time. anyways im looking over the contract that binds me to put a lien on my house if i fail to buy this carpet "pay in full and have it installed" within 3 weeks. Fortunately, California has a 3 day cool off period...yes i cancelled, the very next day. So its 2 weeks later he calls me and says hi did you cancel your order, i said yes, i wont have the rest of the 5000 in 3 weeks, due to remodeling my original project and he tried lowering the price to 4000 i said no its just not going to happen next week, and lo and behold he said to hell with you and hung up!!! while i was in the middle of a sentence asking about my 50 dollar refund. I am appalled and at the loss of words for this man. well all that's over, if i get my refund i do if not a lesson is learned, NEVER EVER CALL EMPIRE TODAY AGAIN EVER!!! I ended up with lam flooring new bathroom vanities, upgraded kitchen cabinets, tile for 3 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms carpeted for 12, 300.
    unbelievable my entire house has been remodeled and with empire i would have only got the bedrooms and wood flooring and it still would have cost 3000 more than what i paid with all the upgrades and remodels for each room. They are False advertisement and misleading. unprofessional, selfish, inconsiderate, lousy, rude, expensive but cheap company.

late for estimate appointment

We had Empire Today install carpeting and tile in our living room and dining room in January 2008. The estimating and installation processes went well, so we decided to have them come back to do our three bedrooms. We called and were given an appointment for between 5 and 7 PM that same evening. At about 6:30 PM we received a call saying our saleman was running late and would be there in 15 to 20 minutes. By 7:30 he had still not arrived, and we had not received any further calls. We called to cancel the estimate and were put through to the salesman who said he was just fininshing with his last appointment. Based on where he said he was and knowing what traffic is like in our area we knew it would have probably taken him another hour to get to our house. We told him we would reschedule, but we will now have someone else do the job. Between getting the house ready and waiting for the saleman to show up we wasted an entire afternoon and evening. As potential repeat customers we had expected better service. Empire Today needs to be more realistic in scheduling its sales appointments.

Rebekah Clerk Apr 03, 2008

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire. We are dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. We are currently looking into the concerns mentioned in your post. We will contact you within the next three business days. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] for further assistance.

• Mr
    Mr. Empire Apr 11, 2008

David, c'mon, get real, pal. You know how crappy traffic can be as well as what a pain in the ### some customers can be which is probably why your salesman was running late. I'll talk to him and see if we can give you and your wife (I'll take care of you wife) a little bonus.

Sincerely,
    Mr. Empire

no show for estimate appointment

I scheduled an in home estimate with Empire Carpets. They were supposed to arrive between 7-9pm. At about 8:15pm I decided to call them to see if they knew when they would arrive. They told me that my ticket was never picked up and no one was coming. I asked how this could happen and she said it happens and asked if I would like to reschedule. I said NO! These are not the kind of professionals I want installing my flooring.

breech of contract

Empire today installation 9/21/06 diane graham home elgin, illinois

Agreement was signed by salesman jake ryan and diane graham on 9/20/06 for a hardwood floor to be installed at 1029 polly ct. Elgin, illinois on 9/20/06.
The family room, hallway and master bedroom was to have carpet removed and hardwood installed for the total charge of $6656.00. Jake ryan also gave an estimate of
$2300.00 for the living room and dining room floors to be done at a later date. The special financing was no interest no payments until 1/01/08. Diane graham advised salesman
Jake ryan that there may be tile and carpet under the existing carpet to be removed. He explained that after determination by the installers, there may be an extra charge for underlayment.

On 9/21/06 the installers arrived late and with the wrong trim and no underlayment. Upon further inspection during the removal of the old carpet, it was determined
That underlayment was needed. Denise dering, diane graham's partner was on site for the installation and was constantly on the phone with both jake ryan and also
Tom joy, the installation manager, at installer bob's request. It was determined that we would be charged extra for the underlayment, which we agreed to. Not only
Did we agree to the extra charge, but we had to drive to home depot with the installers following us so they could get the underlayment and the right trim, which was
Brought to the home.

On the first day of installation, most of the morning and afternoon hours were spent with installer bob on the phone with tom joy to determine how to proceed without proper
Underlayment and wrong trim. The workers that accompanied bob were removing old carpet and tile while bob was on the phone. Floor underlayment was started on 9/21/06
And wood floor inspection found that the wood flooring delivered to the home was wrong. Bob was again on the phone with tom joy until the installers left for the day. We were promised
The floor would be installed in one to two more days.

The second day, 9/22/08, the installers started on floor installation after a delay having a different floor delivered to the home. The installers proceeded to install the floor on the
Second day and asked to come back a third day to finish some minor details. After having finished up the third day and moving furniture back in place, we were to call if there
Were any problems with the floor.

Upon inspection of the floor while down on hands and knees cleaning the floor, we noticed several areas where there were large gaps between boards and also some boards were scratched
And chipped. We called empire about these areas and the same installers came out with saws and flooring and removed the areas and replaced them at several intervals in that first year. Installers never tried to fix the gaps in the floor, stating that was the best they could do. Every time we called empire about a problem with the floor, we documented the calls and the results. Dee brown in customer service was most helpful.

Upon further inspection after several attempts to rectify the problems with the floor, tom joy, the installation manager, visited the home in june of 2007. He told us that an inspector from
Shaw flooring would be out to look at the floor to determine if the floor had quality control issues or the fault was with the installers. That day in june 2007 tom joy reassured us that he would be
The last person we had to talk to about this matter.

Tom joy was in contact with us about having a representative from shaw floors come out, but that never happened. Tom was frustrated as were we. After several calls to customer service and
Tom joy, we finally had an inspector come out in the fall of 2007, but he was an independent inspector, not from shaw. He took several photos with a magnifying glass, took samples of the floor
That were left behind by the installers, and said we would be contacted by empire about the determination. After several attempts to call empire: dee brown in customer service and tom joy, we
Were told that the inspector's report determined that we were to get a replacement floor due to both the installation and the product. This, after several months of calls to empire was determined at the end of 2007. Almost one year to the dateof the original floor installation.

At that point, we were called by someone from empire asking how we liked our new floor. Of course, we had no new floor. The communication throughout all of this has been so horribly poor between
Customer service, the installers, the sales department, tom joy and his management who never returned our calls that we are so disappointed about what could have been a great experience.

After it was determined that we were to get a new floor, tom joy said we were to get a call from his manager. He said they would replace the floor and we could re-start the financing without any problem.
We never heard from his manager, nor did we get any information about when we were to get out floor replaced. After exhausting several more months of no action by empire's part, we were
Also questioning the financing and asking for a deduction. After all, we had intended to get the living room and dining room done at a later date. With all of these problems caused by empire we
Were having serious doubts about the integrity of the company.

In the months that followed the promise from tom joy that he would be the last person we would have to talk to about this matter became a joke. He asked us to call his manager, we got no return calls from him.
We were then contacted by another gentleman from empire, who forwarded us to troy pringle. Mr. Pringle has taken our calls and called us back on a few occasions, but mostly we are playing phone tag,
Leaving messages. He has told us that we will have a new floor installed and was to make sure that would happen last fall of 2007 after originally being contacted by tom joy. Mr. Pringle also stated the floor would be discounted and the financing restarted along with an inspector on site during the floor replacement. This conversation took place in the first week of december 2007 and still nothing has been done. Delays in this matter have been further problematic by the fact that we now are being charged interest on the floor and this is ruining our credit. We were promised this matter would be rectified by the end of 2007 because the 0% financing was to end on 01/01/08 ansd we would have the new floor installed and also the financing re-started by then. None of what we were promised has happened.

We are so disappointed by the outcome in this matter and have tried to be patient and understanding about empire's role in getting this matter resolved. Not oly has our patience run out in getting this matter
Resolved, but now the credit we have worked so hard to keep in good standing is now in jepardy because we had trusted empire to take care of this matter as we were promised. Ge card services has called
On the phone with threatening messages and we have exhausted all avenues to reslolve this matter with empire. Promises were not kept, floors were not replaced, and we are now in a battle not only with
Empire but with ge card services. All we wanted was a new floor. We have had new windows replaced in the time since the floors were replaced and have paid in full due to the satisfaction of the product and
Of the professional installers and customer service. We were willing to be patient and reasonable, but after 18 months of this problem not being resolved, enough is enough.

We have been in contact with the better business bureau, our legal representative, empire and ge card services and want this matter resolved without any further time or effort on our part. 18 months since the
Floor was ordered, we still have no resolution. We have been patient and understanding and tried to resolve this matter. We feel empire must rectify this situation as soon as possible. Promises by empire in the past
18 months have not been fullfilled and we feel that we have every right to be very disappointed with the lack of integrity shown by empire. We must hear from empire as soon as possible to rectify this situation.
We have been advised by our legal representative to try to resolve this matter without a lawsuit. At this time we are running out of patience and time

disintergrating carpet

Do yourself a favor don't believe you are getting a deal with empire carpet, even if it is 50% off, you will be paying for lies and problems, namely; carpet that comes apart from the wall, rips apart from the seams, and disintergrates under foot.
Google: "complaints against empire carpet" you will get plenty of information to read and think about it long and hard before you sign with empire. Empire today's own personal web-site is bogus, think smart, they're not going to tell you the truth there either.
People who have settled with them have to sign a no-disclosure contract so their scam cannot be readily uncovered.
They sub-contract everything, salesmen, installers, carpet manufactures. Be warned. Sorry if you are reading this too late as not to get burned, all you can do then is try and warn others.

• Da
    David Elenowitz Sep 03, 2008

Enough is enough ... someone has to put a stop to Empire-Today's madness.
    Everything written here is true.
    Empire-Today sells low quality carpet for upper range pricing.
    Empire-Today uses very low criteria for hiring installers.
    Empire-Today's Sales Reps will tell their customers virtually anything to get a sale.
    Empire-Today's Sales Reps are not employees, they are independent corporations. The result is that Empire-Today isn't legally liable for any promise that a rep makes to a customer. Also, the rep has no liability either, that's why they are required to be corporations.
    Empire-Today's Sales Reps are paid a sliding scale commission. They make very little commission on each sale, unless they are able to get the customer to pay 30-50% more than they would typically pay elsewhere for carpeting of comparable quality. In that case, they make a very high commission.
    Empire-Today's NEXT-DAY installation is designed to get the flooring installed as quickly as possible. That way they keep the customer from going to a competitor and discovering how over-priced they are.
    Empire-Today's 50-60% sales are only on 2 styles of carpeting, both of which will be priced higher on sale than anywhere else at retail.
    Empire-Today's Sales Reps will tell a prospect various stories about what's on sale and what's not on sale, depending on how they think they can manipulate the customer.
    Empire-Today prays on people who would rather stay at home than go shopping themselves.
    Empire-Today's warranties are written so that they are virtually non-enforceable. Read them carefully and you will see for yourself.
    Empire-Today monitors all these sites and will do anything possible to remove responses like mine.
    Come on people ... use your heads. Shop somewhere reputable ! ! !
    Good luck

installation nightmare

In December 2007 Empire's installers spilled a small can of stain which ruined some trim boards and splattered on a stone front bar. I have left several messages for a Donna (no last name known) x3169 to no avail. I have emailed pictures of the damage, faxed receipts for proof of cost of products damaged and as of 2/29/08 still do not have this rectified. I was not able to stay for the installation and my wife was not aware this was done by the installers as they did not report spilling the stain to us.

• Di
    Dinamit Aug 18, 2008

I recently hired Empire Today for carpet and laminate flooring for my home. What a mistake. The mintue the installer hit the driveway he demanded his money up front. I explained that my Fiance would bring it home on his lunch hour, half being paid in check and half in cash. They don't except personal checks so he had to call his office for approval before starting the job. He got approval and started installing the laminate. The carpet installers showed up two hours later and they wanted their money for the carpet installation. I explained how I intended to pay and the previous approval recieved from the laminate installer and noticed that they were just hanging around and not doing much. The carpet installer said that their policy with Empire was that the carpet was paid on one invoice and the laminate paid on another invoice. I told him I hired Empire one company, one payment. My Fiance came home and left me the money and went back to work. Shortly after the laminate installer comes in and tells me that he is going to finish the hallway and he is walking off the job. I was stunned, he never had discussed the payment other then the early morning and had he came to me after lunch I would have given him the money and so on, after a heated discussion the laminate installer refused to deal with me, payment was counted and processed with the carpet installer who didn't want to hold the money and gave it back to me. Prior to all this I was told by the laminate floor installer that my flooring was not all that it was suppose to be according to my sales rep, that the flooring will scratch by simply sliding a piece of furniture over it. The entire experience was a nightmare. Go through Lowes or someone that has a great product, sales team and so on. Empire Today Sucks!!!

• En
    Energetic Sep 25, 2008

I work at a retailer that sells flooring, i can say from experience that all the money issues should have been delt with prior to the installer's coming over as this seems to be the brunt of the drama.

Laminate will scratch yes but not easily, even the cheap stuff will not scratch easily, you have to keep in mind that pets with claws not trimmed will not scratch laminate.

I see you mentioned that the installer said that it will scratch if you move furniture across it, all you simply have to do is get some felt pads or pads that go on the bottom of furniture, you can buy them at home depot, PROBLEM SOLVED LOL.

It sounds like he said that just to irk you, dont be irk'd your flooring is fine.

Im sorry to hear that you got poor customer service, youll probably be better off next time if you use your local home depot or "lowes".

[Resolved] fraudulent pricing

I booked an appointment on line and the Sales Associate arrived on time to measure my entire house which...

2 comments Jamestown Other

bad carpet

I had carpet put down about 6months ago, it started sheading, I call them and told them, it is in such bad condition that I riped it up and threw it out.

• Ju
    june Oct 04, 2008

Actually, I found a place for laminate floor for 99 CENT SQ F!!! The warranty is for 50 years!!!

That is amazing, imagine all I can save. They installed it, they saud the installation is going to be around 500 bucks for 300 sg of my kitchen. Well, the store installed it in 10 days, it cost me 99 cents plus tax, but the installers charged me around 900 buck, the store said they dont have nothing to do whith installations prices, so I just paid it. The installation was fine, but, this store made me signed the 50 years warranty, and for my surprise, they said that once the floor is installed, the warranty is VOID!!! what in earht is that!!! A few months later, the laminate started to bend upwards, I called the store and I was told someone will be going to my hose in the next week. They indeed came the next, next, next week (three weeks later) and said that the laminate I purchased is very low quality and if I want it to last longer I should purchase new flooring!!! That is outrageous!! Next thing is that they will charge me 500 bucks to fix just a few laminates that are bending!!!

I had an estimate for empire today, but i learned from this blog that empire is a ripoff and that is not woth it, so I went to another store suggested in this blog, then all started to go wrong...

I learned my lesson, I should bought it from empire today in the first place, since they offered me an extraordinary flooring with written warranty and one year installation warranty. That is peace of mind. Next time, I will not be cheap as some people in this blog, shame for me, shame for you...

interst on full loan amt

Contracted Empire Today 588-2300 to replace a kitchen floor and was approved through there financing for $1607.00, with a 0 percent interest for 12 months.

I never was late with a payment and was never charged any interests until the 12 months were up in JAN 2008. I now owe a balance of only $400.00 I was never told that I would be charged an astronomical $$ amount of interest on the whole loan which was $1607.00.

The interest was only to be on the balance due, and I was never verbally told the true circumstances of this agreement. If I were informed correctly, I would have paid it off much sooner!

I am very disappointed to find that Empire Carpets would deal with such a financing company that would do this to there loyal customers.

So, my balance of $400.00 is now $846.00 which is an interst charge of $346.00 based on the original loan amount . I will dispute this with the company and request for immediate assistance in this matter.

Disgusted!

• Bu
    Buddy234567 Jan 29, 2008

Hey man,

I hate to inform you, but this is not a a scam. This is something that is clearly disclosed in the documentation you signed or otherwise agreed to.

Yes, The salesman who's paid only comission for every sale didn't say, Oh and BTW, while I have you interested and ready to pay for this right out let me warn you that after 12 months, you will have to pay the entire loans' balance of interest if it's not paid in 12 months". That's not something he's paid to do, he's there to sell you a rug and get the hell out of there. Its your job as the consumer to make sure you read everything BEFORE you sign. Only if something is not disclosed on paper, you are not liable for such charges. If you didn't read the fine print, well sucks to be you buddy. Be happy you only got charged 30% interest, I've seen them as high as 50% or more.

I've worked for a bank for years, and this type of business has been out there for quite some time. "No Payments, No Interest for 12 Months" always means, 12 months, No interest ONLY IF YOU PAY IT OFF". Yes, it's not clearly disclosed in the title of the loan application, but with anything dealing with YOUR money, you MUST read every bit of fine print before you sign.

Mind you, I fuggin hate empire carpets, their salemen are complete tards, but this is not their fault. This is your negligence.

Rebekah Clerk Feb 04, 2008

charles griffin Feb 20, 2009

I am presently going thru the same situation. I don't argue the fee( interest come [email protected] end) BUT, I feel the amount of credit extended ($6000 as opposed to $7500) to me should have been enough to cover the finance charge if the bill was to come full circle after one year. Now GE wants to charge me $39 a mo. until The balance is paid down under $6000. That could take me on a monthly basis app. one whole year of regular payments, plus overlimit fees. (Extra $480) No exceptions, no waving of fee, no credit extension; not to mention having my credit report reflecting possible late fees, & constant overlimit notations.

• Ho
    horsepug May 18, 2009

I am presently going thru the same thing. The interest hit my account in Jan. of this year, $2500.00 and now I am making monthly payments and not getting anywhere with the balance. Even called GE Money and they were not helpful at all. I will never ever suggest anyone to use Empire Carpets Today or Ge money.

[Resolved] price deception!

If you are considering using Empire Today please read this and be advised that they are completely full of...

dishonest salesman

I need new carpet for my home as I'm trying to sell it. I called Empire to try to get the cheapest deal possible because of an advertised 50% off sale. When Steve, the Empire sales rep came out, he measured my place, and the cheapest carpet that he'd show us was $4000 for the job. Since I only wanted to pay about half that, I was fine with it - but, Steve told my fiancee and I that the 50% off deal didn't apply to the quality that we chose. What the heck did that mean?!?

INSTEAD - Steve, because he "liked us" and thought we were a nice couple, was going to "break the rules a bit" and he'd buy the carpet for us through his 35% employee discount, which, he'd take 10% for himself, and pass 25% savings on to us, so, we were down to about 3200 dollars now. I told him that every other place quoted us about 2000, including Home Depot. He then pulled out a typewritten sheet that he made up himself about Home Depot, about all of their "hidden" charges. (all lies, we later found out, as we went to Home Depot to check.) I asked him for a card, in case we changed our minds, and he refused to give us any identifying information, and wouldn't leave the estimate with us either.

I was SO angry at the treatment, (and glad I read this stuff here) that I felt compelled to write. Steve obviously works on commission, but was so bad at it, (his cell phone kept ringing too, as if he was trying to seem self important) that I felt compelled to write here.

Do your research and don't be intimidated by your empire salesman! Thankfully, becuase I did, I didn't waste a LOT of money!

Rebekah Clerk Jan 21, 2008

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Empire Today is dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. We are currently looking into the concerns mentioned in your post. We will contact you within the next three business days. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] for further assistance.

• St
    Steve Mcmann Apr 13, 2008

In all fairness, though I am aware that in sales there are dishonest sales folks, there are never the less dishonest folks in all industries.

I have sold in the, "In home" sales industry for years and I have dealt with, "Dishonest" clienst from time to time. Folks that said I said something I didn't, offered something I did not etc.

Point being, it is a two way street. I use an old principle when working with the public and it has served me well over the others and it is this:

Do under others as you would have them do unto you.

Integrity and character coupled with quality and service are a winning combination for all parties and it is how I operate.

If you have recieved less tha that I apologize for the salesman you had to deal with.

Ask for local references.

Best,
    Steve

overpriced and inferior staff!

If you have flooring needs, I plead that you never do business with empire today. Their prices are ridiculou...

failure to provide service or carpet offered

Empure Carpet came to our home and measured the carpet. We purchased the carpet after the salesman reasurred us repeatedly that they move furniture and boxes and the warranty covers pet stains( we have a puppy). Empire arrived and their crew (two people) said they do not move furniture and carpet and pet stains are not covered. They left the job saying they were going to cancel the job leaving exposed tack strip all over the steps. It was disgraceful and harmful to my family. Our house was a mess and left disheveled while we ordered new carpet from another company and had to wait over two weeks to get the carpet. Empire claims their salepeople don't work for them and are independent contractors. Beware. In my opinion, this company is running a huge scam.

• Jn
    JnF Dec 27, 2008

The product is satisfactory, but forget about service after the sale! I left two messages with customer service (where they say you will receive a call back in 24 hours). When I called again, the woman said --- oh you must have talked to your sales person. I said, no, I have two reference numbers from customer service -- do you want to hear them? She got very quiet. BUT, we did not get ANY response until my husband was able to reach the manager of custer service. The problem was that the installation did not properly fit the space and they did not care. Finally, they fixed the problem, but it took weeks.